Sign in to follow this  
Hump

Adam Smith

Having just looked on the Peterborough FC Website it looks like another player has got away. Adam who was not offered a Pro contract went away and developed at King Lynns,he now gets a 3year plus deal at London Road. Small lad who has taken time to mature. P.S He is a left sided player

How many more and who will be next to leave before thay get their chance-We do not have a very good record for waiting for our youngsters. The policy seems sign them for a year dont play them, then get rid of them because they are no good -

Have I got it wrong your comments please

"one that got away"

He signed for .... Peterborough!! Hardly setting the country alight with his skills is he? Ok - I''d like to have seen Crow stay, but he isn''t really proving Nigel wrong at the moment.

We have kept faith with Hendo and Jarv, and been rewarded with sweet FA.

Perhaps it''s our youth who are lazy, slack and unwilling to go that extra mile to make it in the game.

With the amount of players who are let go from professional clubs at various times in their career, just about every professional footballer will have been released by a club at some point.

It will always happen, to us and every club.

Good luck to Adam though...

From what I recall, Adam Smith was identified as a very bright prospect but then got a serious cruciate injury.  He was out for over a year at a vital stage in his development and was unable to get back to where he was before.  A great shame. 

His best chance is probably to come up through the lower divisions and see how far he can get.  From my limited knowledge of the situation, we probably made the right decision both for the club and the player. 

[quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Or perhaps we have been keeping the wrong ones.

If you have watched the Ron Atkinson programme on Sky recently, where he spent last season at peterborough, you will know exactly why we got rid of Crow.  His attitude absolutely stinks.

[quote user="Mook"]

"one that got away"

He signed for .... Peterborough!! Hardly setting the country alight with his skills is he? Ok - I''d like to have seen Crow stay, but he isn''t really proving Nigel wrong at the moment.

Perhaps it''s our youth who are lazy, slack and unwilling to go that extra mile to make it in the game.

[/quote]

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="Mook"]

[/quote]

Or perhaps we have been keeping the wrong ones.

[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts Kathy. After what i''d seen of Crow in the reserves and his brief stint in the first team, I would have chosen him any day of the week over Jarvis and Henderson, who both should be plying their trade in the lower leagues as they''re clearly not good enough for us.

[quote user="JC"]

If you have watched the Ron Atkinson programme on Sky recently, where he spent last season at peterborough, you will know exactly why we got rid of Crow.  His attitude absolutely stinks.

[quote user="Mook"]

"one that got away"

[/quote][/quote]

Funny you should say that, JC.

I had actually written something rather more ... erm ... rude about Crow but decided against it because it usually brings all the "everything''s gone wrong" brigade out in force.

Crow is a t*ss*r. Unless he had Bellamy-esque ability, I would have dumped him too.

If Crow is so good then however do Peterboro manage to hang on to him? How did they manage to beat off all the Premiership and Championship and League 1 sides to sign him in the first place? Or was it his childhood dream to play for Peterboro United in League 2?

Dont think Adam Smith had a cruciate injury.  He got an England cap as an under 18 but Nowich seemed to think he was a bit small.  He was one player that imo didnt really progress under  Aidy Boothroyd (for whatever reason).  I think he may have had trials with Northampton & Peterborough when he was released, but didn''t impress at either (at the time)  Wish him the best of luck as he is a nice quiet lad and does have a sweet left foot.

Lets wait and see whether he does anything at peterborough before passing judgemnt. He probably wont even ge tin their first team yet. I was dissapointed about Crow going, but i also saw the Ron Atkinson programme and completely understand why the decision was made. You never know what goes on behin the scenes in most cases.

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

I found that program on Ron Atkinson and Peterborough, I have always liked Barry Fry and his no nonsenses approach when it comes to speaking the truth.  It did however get me wondering that if that was the attitude of Danny Crow, how many of our current youth players are like that, and is that why they don''t seem to be considered very often?

He was released from City''s acadamy when he was in his third year scholarship. He was a regular in the reserves & scored once in 17 appearances. Adam spent his time playing for Yarmouth immediately after being released by City. After that he had trials at Bournemouth & Northampton before joining Lynn. In his time at The Walks he proved to be a reliable left back who could also play in midfield. Was voted fans player of the year last season for The Linnets. Also played against The Posh in pre season. With Lynn''s former manager now there its not surprising he''s now followed.

I didn''t get to see the programme, so what''s the story on Ron Atkinson at Peterborough and Danny Crow? If it''s particularly juicy, stick the word "allegedly" on the front in a HIGNFY style.

How exactly does his attitude stink?

[quote user="NorCal Canary"]I didn''t get to see the programme, so what''s the story on Ron Atkinson at Peterborough and Danny Crow? If it''s particularly juicy, stick the word "allegedly" on the front in a HIGNFY style. How exactly does his attitude stink?[/quote]

One incident that springs to mind was when he didn''t like something they were doing in training so stormed off shouting along the lines of ''drop me you f*****g prick, f*****g drop me i don''t care''  or something very similar (i have forgotten the exact wording as it was a few weeks ago.  That incident seemed to be fairly indicative of his attitude throughout the series.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]Lets wait and see whether he does anything at peterborough before passing judgemnt. He probably wont even ge tin their first team yet. I was dissapointed about Crow going, but i also saw the Ron Atkinson programme and completely understand why the decision was made. You never know what goes on behin the scenes in most cases.[/quote]

I saw a few episodes too and I saw what Crow was like. He''s got a hell of a temper and it is easy to see why Worthy released him, unless he plays every week, he''s pissed off.

Getting back to Adam Smith, there were occasions watching him play for

the reserves that I thought he looked the best passer of the ball we''d

seen since Ian Crook. I was disappointed that City let him go and I

thought he was a better player than 3 of those that were signed 

from the  academy this year, 2 of whom have made 1st team

appearances. I was suprised that no league club came in for Adam when

we let him go- I did bump into him in the car park at the time & we

had a little chat - he seemed a very unassuming, pleasant lad but that

shouldn''t have held him back. I haven''t seen Adam play since he left

the club but I am not suprised he has done well at Lynn & has moved

on to Peterborough. I think he will do well there & wouldn''t be at

all suprised if we see him rise to Championship level. Good luck, Adam,