Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Curbishley lasted 15 years. Dowie, 15 games.

Oh dear. That didn''t last long, did it? Simon Jordan was on Sky Sports News within minutes of the announcement, to say Palace would not be taking him back. Nice guy that he is.Maybe Worthy will come to Charlton''s rescue!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6145292.stm

What stupidity! I''m guessing that he has been sacked, although Charlton have not confrimed this yet. How completely ridiclious for a manager to go after 12 games. It shows what a shoddy state football is in, and how rash decisions are taken all too easily and fast. Delia, don''t go getting any ideas!

To be fair to Simon Jordan, he actually gave a Dowie a glowing reference....probably more to have a go at Charlton http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6145292.stm

I''m guessing something has gone on behidn the scenes which we don''t kno wabout and which may never be made public. Charlton aren''t a firing club- this decision purely on footballing grounds doesn''t make sense and is inconsistent with their previous long term attitude.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]

Simon Jordan was on Sky Sports News within minutes of the announcement, to say Palace would not be taking him back. Nice guy that he is.

[/quote]

I''ve no sympathy with Dowie on this one.

Simon Jordan might be a strange character but he let Dowie leave Palace on the understanding that the manager wanted to be nearer his family up North. Charlton IS marginally north of Selhurst Park but I don''t think that''s quite what Jordan envisaged ........

The pending High Court action between the two should be interesting.

look at the effect of the Curbishley move ...

Curbishley moves .. no new job
Dowie moves from Palace to Charlton - bottom of the table and sacked after 15 games
Peter Taylor moves from Hull to Palace - this has to be their worst run in a few years - his days have to be numbered
Phil Parkinson moves from Colchester to Hull - languishing at the bottom of the Championship

I doubt anything has gone on behind the scenes, just another example of how money is ruining the game of football.

Charlton are bottom of the Prem, Charlton''s chairman is scred stiff of getting relegated and losing all of the cash and other perks that come with being a Premiership club so he gets twitchy and fires the manager.

Until the gap between the haves in the Pemiership and the have-nots in the Championship is reduced we''ll keep getting ridiculous decisions like this.

There are reports that Dowie''s way of Training had de-motivated the players so much that he had to go for the sake of the club. I can''t remember where I read it but it was somewhere this morning.

Supposeably Dowie has some very harse ways when it comes to Training, this would explain there position in the table.

Also, My personal opinon is that the Charlton board where expecting too much after the reign of Curbs and the succes he brought.

think your being harsh on parkinson, he had to take over the mess taylor left as well as some earlier injuries, there actually turning the corner there at hull and have had some good decent results added to this the team he left at colchester is doing very well also.

Anyway that aside amazing to think they got rid of dowie after twelve games, god help them if the follow him with somene like robson or ericcson.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I''m guessing something has gone on behidn the scenes which we don''t kno wabout and which may never be made public. Charlton aren''t a firing club- this decision purely on footballing grounds doesn''t make sense and is inconsistent with their previous long term attitude.[/quote]

i agree, i would be surprised if he has actually been sacked because of the results

Actually I think what Jordan is actually doing is having a snipe here!

He is saying that Dowie should have been given more support - in other words if Dowie was at Palace he would be getting more support - that they wouldn''t have sacked him so easily and that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Nice one Jordan - the guy is quality!

I expected Charlton to struggle this season, but I didn''t expect them to be the shambles that they now are. It''ll be interesting to see who will have the balls to take on that job now.

[quote user="greenTshirt"]

look at the effect of the Curbishley move ...

Curbishley moves .. no new job
Dowie moves from Palace to Charlton - bottom of the table and sacked after 15 games
Peter Taylor moves from Hull to Palace - this has to be their worst run in a few years - his days have to be numbered
Phil Parkinson moves from Colchester to Hull - languishing at the bottom of the Championship

[/quote]

Hull are no longer bottom of the leafue, their results have picked up recently.....

Dowie only ever had one string to his bow - defend like mad and wait for the bald cheat to trip over himself in the box. The problem for him at Charlton was that AJ was a signed up toffee and diving for Merseyside.

Utterly over rated - only ''respected'' because he is part of the old boys club..

OTBC 

[quote user="Konstantin Pobedonostsev"]

Dowie only ever had one

string to his bow - defend like mad and wait for the bald cheat to

trip over himself in the box. The problem for him at Charlton was that

AJ was a signed up toffee and diving for Merseyside.

Utterly over rated - only ''respected'' because he is part of the old boys club..

OTBC 

[/quote]

Typical short term reactive opinion if you don''t mind me saying! It''s

too easy to rubbish him now becuase he''s has been sacked and Charlton

are bottom. But think of what Dowie achieved at Palace when he arrived

there. I think it would take a bit more than a diving Andy Johnson to

get them from div 1 relegation fodder to the premiership in 5 months.

Once he''d done that you probably thought he was the bees knees. What it

shows is that methods used at one club might not work for another.

Especially one that has had the same management team in place for 15

years.

You better hope he doesn''t end up at one of our div 1 rivals because if

it''s any of about 18 of the clubs in the division they will be a

threat. I''m thinking Mandaric might approach him as his next ''arry for

his latest project at Leicester!

Talk about the cheap options:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/6146620.stm

I remember all the conversation (pre-Grant) about Norwich appointing a manager who would be considered ''the cheap option''. If I was a fan of Charlton, i wouldn''t be happy at all, who is this reed guy. With all the good managers around i''m suprised ambitous Charlton appointed such an unknown person!

Charlton, Championship side come next September!