Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

lucky win just papers over cracks

Yesterdays game was dire. We were dire our midfield was anonymous our creativity was woeful. Any other team in our league or the 1st div who had a half decent attack would have mullered us. Sunderland are rubbish as indicated by the fact that despite the total domination and massive possession the didn''t bury us. What I witnessed at CR yesterday wasn''t entertaining I''m not even sure you could call it football.

We had 1 shot we created nothing else we did nothing offensive in the entire match apart from our goal. Yes Dublin played well. But far betters attackers and teams a waiting for us and him. I say we are in a terrible mess. I saw no commitment from any of the midfielders no bite no determination and not one crunching tackle. I have never ever left a game we won so desperately concerned about the state of my team. This win is nothing but a smoke screen. It hides the truth about how poor we actually are. I see no passion installed by our touch line ranting manger only confusion and descent. I see nothing in that performance to indicate to me we have any chance of make the play offs. Is just 3 points closer to safety. And if any fan can honestly say otherwise or that they can take anything positive from that the god help us.

agree first half display lacked tempo - too many strollers, not enough committment and bite.  the goal lifted us and i thought the second half was much better - we matched them second half imo.some of the players need to know they are not fit/committed enough - the cardiff performance was the yardstick by virtue of being top - 2nd half in that match they were the fitter side, as were colchester - we equalised against the u''s the sat back, not enough puff to match them as they raised their efforts to secure their deserved draw.  PG would like a quicker tempo i''m sure, but can the likes of wly, robbo, dicko, safs give it over 90 mins?  

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Yesterdays game was dire. We were dire our midfield was anonymous our creativity was woeful. Any other team in our league or the 1st div who had a half decent attack would have mullered us. Sunderland are rubbish as indicated by the fact that despite the total domination and massive possession the didn''t bury us. What I witnessed at CR yesterday wasn''t entertaining I''m not even sure you could call it football. We had 1 shot we created nothing else we did nothing offensive in the entire match apart from our goal. Yes Dublin played well. But far betters attackers and teams a waiting for us and him. I say we are in a terrible mess. I saw no commitment from any of the midfielders no bite no determination and not one crunching tackle. I have never ever left a game we won so desperately concerned about the state of my team. This win is nothing but a smoke screen. It hides the truth about how poor we actually are. I see no passion installed by our touch line ranting manger only confusion and descent. I see nothing in that performance to indicate to me we have any chance of make the play offs. Is just 3 points closer to safety. And if any fan can honestly say otherwise or that they can take anything positive from that the god help us.[/quote]

This is what worries me. Shortly any ''honeymoon'' period will be over for PG and we will be down to brass tacks. In two seasons we have plummeted from promotion hopefuls to strugglers.......and it will take more than a few squid in January plus the odd loan to rectify it.

Sadly, it will be a while before we''re back with the big boys.   Everyone says, they''ve got some great players at NCFC but from what I have seen we haven''t.  Fans debating whether or not Hughes should go shouldn''t be complaining, we are doing pretty well given that quality, of course 25000 fans each game deserve better.

Hopefully Peter Grant already appreciates this and will begin the rebuild in January.

What a mess Worthington left!

25000 fans each game is awesome.  I''m proud to be a Canary, even if from afar!

[quote user="Ged"]

Sadly, it will be a while before we''re back with the big boys.   Everyone says, they''ve got some great players at NCFC but from what I have seen we haven''t.  Fans debating whether or not Hughes should go shouldn''t be complaining, we are doing pretty well given that quality, of course 25000 fans each game deserve better.

Hopefully Peter Grant already appreciates this and will begin the rebuild in January.

What a mess Worthington left!

25000 fans each game is awesome.  I''m proud to be a Canary, even if from afar!

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more. Everything you say is spot on.

25000 a week will show this country what loyal fans we are.

Problem is if this type of football continues will we still get 25000? The board played it perfectly when they raised the season ticket level to 20,000, it now means people will renew otherwise they are worried they wont get a seat if we improve. I think by the end of this season fans will realise that those good times are a long way off and wont renew. With the loss of parachute payments and a big debt we will struggle to bring in new players without selling, making it even more difficult.

However, I think it may almost be a blessing in disguise. I hope we clear out a lot of the expensive deadwood and bring in young hungry players from the lower leagues with something to prove. We need a team, not a group of mismatches as it is at the moment. Thats how worthy got us up last time and how many have gone up.

The only positive is that at least we are winning- under NW we may well have lost this game. Winning breeds confidence and that was rock bottom. Its not going to change overnight- the first stage is to stop the bleeding, the next is to heal the wound and therefater hope for full recovery. We are still at the trying to stop the bleeding stage. Its a small step, but in the right direction.

The  key for me is January. By then PG will have had the squad for 3 months and will hopefully be able to spend the Green and Mckenzie money. Until then I think we are simply in damage limitation mode with an under-strength squad.

I thought the guy doing the tricks at half time should of got man of the MoM yesterday...At least sign the guy up......Anyone agree?......hehehe.......He kept possession for a good 6 minutes..Then stuck it in the back of the net at the end.....No wonder Mr Thorne was sitting down watching in awe.....Cmon Canaries keep up the fight.....Its a long race not a sprint.....But we need to start jogging now at least...

Once again I am stunned and utterly disgusted by the comments posted on here from so called ''supporters'' of Norwich City.

For those of you, which is everyone on this post, that have chosen to only reflect entirely on the negative, WE WON YESTERDAY, AGAIN!!!!!

Thats 3 wins, a draw and 1 loss from PG''s first 5 games in charge, but as usual you are all talking like every game has been a copy of the Stoke disaster.

For the clubs sake please stop moaning and try and be positive and get behind the team. Its this contstant negativity and obsession with always focusing on the negative aspects of our latest performance that is holding us back. This mentality from ''fans'' like you lot spreads in the stands and from there onto the pitch and to the players.

Yes the performance wasnt great, but remember WE ARE NOT REAL MADRID. What the hell do you want? Great passing, exciting football and 4-3 losses every week? Yes we have to improve if we want promotion, and objectively we are proabably as close to a relegation battle as we are to the playoff battle, but here''s the point, we could go down both roads, where do you want us to go? I sometimes think that some fans want us to slide down the table, just so they have something to moan about on the weekends.

I myself want a playoff battle this season, and being the positive optimist that I am believe it will happen. Contrary to what is posted on here we DO have some great players at the club, I and I for one am getting behind the team.

You lot should try it sometime. Call yourself fans? Your a disgrace, everyones entitled to their opinion sure, but to berate the team, players and manager week in week out is disgusting. Why bother turning up to the matches if thats all you plan to do after if we dont win 3-0?. Thats assuming that all of the above are season ticket holders like myself, Im guessing some are just armchair fans tho, that would explain the pessimism.

So do us all a favour, stop moaning all the time and get behind the team. No doubt youve all forgotten are by now and are formulating your next negative comment and retort to my posting, so ill remind you all of one very important factor that you all like to forget before you start typing.....WE WON YESTERDAY. IT WASNT PRETTY BUT WE WON. RESULTS WIN PROMOTION, NOT PRETTY PASSING AND 4-3 SCORELINES.

Of the last 3 home games we have beaten Cardiff and Sunderland and drawn with Colchester. Now I dont know about you but Cardiff & Sunderland are supposed big guns in this league, and we turned them over. Add the draw with Colchester and thats 2 wins and a draw out of the last 3 home games. Im my eyes thats playoff form, not relegation form. Please remember these facts and SUPPORT YOUR CLUB!!!

LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub

Any chance of you shortening your name, you''re making the posts appear out of line, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

CA

I''m sure you''ll bring out plenty of responses with that post. I agree to a certain extent that people to tend to focus on the negatives, and it''s true that we did keep a clean sheet and get the points.

However, it''s more about looking at the future, and performances like that don''t bode well. I don''t think anyone could honestly say that we deserved to win the game, and a defeat wouldn''t have been a surprise. It was only Sunderland''s lack of quality that stopped them winning, rather than anything positive that we did.

BUT, getting points out of games like this is invaluable, and Grant obviously needs time to sort out his best team and shape it with his own platers if he feels it''s necessary.

Positives:

• All of the defence did well, especially Dublin. Much as I like the Doc, it''s nice to see that you can play centre-half without constantly wrapping your arms around attackers.
  • Earnshaw did well to maintain his concentration enough to get in position to score and to finish, after what must have been an intensely frustrating first half for him.
  • Etuhu had a good first half I thought.

Negatives:

• Huckerby didn''t look fit - not sure why he wasn''t taken off towards the end, as he was clearly knackered.
  • Midfield didn''t hold or pass the ball well, and the formation denied them any forward options.
  • Two shots, one on target. At home.

Anyway, that''s how I saw it all.

[quote user="LoyalCityFanWhoActuallySUPPORTSTheClub"]

Once again I am stunned and utterly disgusted by the comments posted on here from so called ''supporters'' of Norwich City.

For those of you, which is everyone on this post, that have chosen to only reflect entirely on the negative, WE WON YESTERDAY, AGAIN!!!!!

Thats 3 wins, a draw and 1 loss from PG''s first 5 games in charge, but as usual you are all talking like every game has been a copy of the Stoke disaster.

For the clubs sake please stop moaning and try and be positive and get behind the team. Its this contstant negativity and obsession with always focusing on the negative aspects of our latest performance that is holding us back. This mentality from ''fans'' like you lot spreads in the stands and from there onto the pitch and to the players.

Yes the performance wasnt great, but remember WE ARE NOT REAL MADRID. What the hell do you want? Great passing, exciting football and 4-3 losses every week? Yes we have to improve if we want promotion, and objectively we are proabably as close to a relegation battle as we are to the playoff battle, but here''s the point, we could go down both roads, where do you want us to go? I sometimes think that some fans want us to slide down the table, just so they have something to moan about on the weekends.

I myself want a playoff battle this season, and being the positive optimist that I am believe it will happen. Contrary to what is posted on here we DO have some great players at the club, I and I for one am getting behind the team.

You lot should try it sometime. Call yourself fans? Your a disgrace, everyones entitled to their opinion sure, but to berate the team, players and manager week in week out is disgusting. Why bother turning up to the matches if thats all you plan to do after if we dont win 3-0?. Thats assuming that all of the above are season ticket holders like myself, Im guessing some are just armchair fans tho, that would explain the pessimism.

So do us all a favour, stop moaning all the time and get behind the team. No doubt youve all forgotten are by now and are formulating your next negative comment and retort to my posting, so ill remind you all of one very important factor that you all like to forget before you start typing.....WE WON YESTERDAY. IT WASNT PRETTY BUT WE WON. RESULTS WIN PROMOTION, NOT PRETTY PASSING AND 4-3 SCORELINES.

Of the last 3 home games we have beaten Cardiff and Sunderland and drawn with Colchester. Now I dont know about you but Cardiff & Sunderland are supposed big guns in this league, and we turned them over. Add the draw with Colchester and thats 2 wins and a draw out of the last 3 home games. Im my eyes thats playoff form, not relegation form. Please remember these facts and SUPPORT YOUR CLUB!!!

[/quote]I refer you to what I said about the football we watched on Saturday. It was not entertainment. That is after all what it is all about. Nor was the Colchester game. Good attractive football is what this club has always been about. What ever level we are at the truth is we go to be entertained. To watch skill and determination. You could have gone and watched any Sunday pub team in Norwich and seen more of that that you got on Saturday. And it would have been free. We pay our money that entitles us to our views. If that doesn''t suit you then tuff. I actually believe in the long run your lily livered every thing is rosy in the garden attitude will bury this club and condemn us to a lifetime of substandard football. 25000 fans deserve better. The result is sometimes less important than the performance. Maybe it takesa true fan to see that. Or just a more educated one.

This is where ''spin'' has taken over from reality in modern life.........Facts now are always distorted and a positive ''spin''  given to everything we hear and read........including from our dear Board. No-one gets anything wrong anymore.

While I would like to accept that the win against Sunderland was a milestone......it wasn''t. We were apparently very ordinary and had little of the play.....We scored one goal from maybe our only attack.....Our squad is poor and uncompetitive and the Board have no money worth talking about to help matters.

The bigger picture is where we should focus and it seems that many will now defend a below average club rather than demand ambition. These players are working at about their limit.......and we can''t hope for much more from them, but to suffer in silence again is to give this Board a free hand to ''carry on as before''.........10 years on!

[/quote]

Dude, I''m in agreement, but calm down, there''s a whole world of coronaries out there!

What you have to remember is that this is a message board, so you get views from across the board. People will see different things in a match and a result. Some people think Saturday was appalling, some like yourself will say the result was all important. Nobody is wrong or right.

[/quote]

Fella, you need to chill. Football is all about opinions. The last eighteen months has been shocking. It''s hard to be positive when you have just been tonked 5-0 at Stoke. In my opinion Peter Grant needs a lot of time to turn this around. Delighted as I was with the three points, the peformance was not good. Our squad lacks severe quality to really have any shot at promotion this season. Too many players picking up a cheque and doing little else. That is not healthy. Complete squad change is needed.

[/quote]

You are a TOTAL disgrace with comments like these.  Hardhouse just mentions teh fact we got horrendously lucky saturday, and whether there are still problems in teh team and you write this  crap.  From your username I can guess you were a Worthy fan until the end.  Wel hardhouse is right.  This win, although welcomed, IS papering over the cracks.

And we do support our club!!  you sir, and fans like you can go and support Ipswich for all I care...

And Yes RESULTS WIN PROMOTION. Well playing like saturday we will not be getting many of those this season. We were lucky we were only playing a very poor sunderland side.

[/quote]

Snappy username you''ve got there. How mature, and modest too.I suppose you think every other fan is therefore a DisloyalCityFanWhoActuallyDoesn''tSUPPORTTheClub?

its patently clear that the system isn''t suiting the players - we ground out a victory, the goal being the one moment of quality in an otherwise mediocre game.  we need to be playing 4-4-2, or at least have that option - signing a partner to play with earnie is a must for me - if dicko, robbo and safs have to fight it out for 2 central midfield berths then  fine.   4-5-1 has a value, such away from home against better teams, but against the likes of port vale, stoke and colchester - it gives them an advantage, becuase we don''t play far enough up the pitch - sitting back just encourages them, in all those games we looked a different proposition playing 4-4-2.  we need a new striker asap - we rode our like sauturday big time, but we may not be so fortunate in future.   the transfer inactivity is smacking of negligence, especially when its realised we have 2 keepers on loan!  hey?

what are you all complaining about we won whilst playing poor, stop looking for the negatives in evrything people, you lot can be a bunch of moaning gits at times lol.

if we can win playing bad, think what could happen if we start playing well again

I agree, and i for one do not feel promotion - or playoffs, is likely this season. For the main reason that PG has not had the time to make the team ''his team'' He has been left with the scraps of worthingtons reign, and until he gets some money given for the january transfer window - it will continue as that.

I do however, note that some of our players are of the quality to reach the playoffs, but im not one for optimism. Lets see how we do in the next 3.

Results first

Performances second

That is the hierachy of importance right now, until PG can bring in the quality he feels we need to allow the results & performances to happen (January being first opportunity & the summer 2007 the second) then i don''t care how we get the 3 points week in week out only that we collect sufficient that come April we are still in the reckoning.

You may want more but to expect it, in all fairness, is unrealistic given what he has to work with.

I dont think anyone is papering over the cracks - but a win is a win.

PG knows there is much work to do on and off the field but doing so with a winning side is easier than a losing one.  

Facts : Norwich City 1 Sunderland 0. City gain 3 more points and now have 22 points from 16 games. This leaves them 9 points clear of the relegation places, 4 points behind the play-off places, 10 points away from auto- promotion place and 11 points off top.

HH44''s hard hitting original post was bound to produce the thread it has and I guess everybody who contributed has made valid points, including LCFWASTC but his name and the manner of his ‘red rag to a bull post’ has brought back ’true fan’ and ‘educated fan’ comments that are just plain ridiculous.

Norwich City are right in the middle of the table and I guess the fans ’take’ on that will be a reflection of our various personalities because our season could go either way from this point. The positive amongst us can see at least a play-off place whereas the negative can see relegation as a possibility.

So what is spin Cluckaduck? This is a message board and we all post our opinions. Spin suggests deceit and I don’t believe posters are being deceitful they are just stating their opinions. It’s interesting that you use the words ‘positive spin’ because you are quite a negative poster. This is not a criticism because your posts make for good debate with the more positive posters. However, they in turn could accuse you of being deceitful by putting a ‘negative spin’ on things.

From my point of view we were lucky to get all 3 points against Sunderland in the same way we were unlucky to lose all 3 points to Leeds back in August. This league is like that. But is that putting a positive spin on a lucky win?

@Nutty.......

It seems that whatever is innocently stated here has a ''double meaning'' in the eyes of the wordsmiths.......and apparently now I am insulting fellow posters? Nice one.....didn''t see that one coming.......

Carry on Nutty if it pleases you............[:)]

[quote user="cluckaduck"]

@Nutty.......

It seems that whatever is innocently stated here has a ''double meaning'' in the eyes of the wordsmiths.......and apparently now I am insulting fellow posters? Nice one.....didn''t see that one coming.......

Carry on Nutty if it pleases you............[:)]

[/quote]

I did say it wasn''t a criticism but you choose to take it that way. I made the same point to another poster on another thread a few days ago. I don''t believe it''s fair to use the word spin to dismiss someones opinion because it happens to be different. I didn''t say you had insulted anybody because you haven''t.

Carry on believing differently if it pleases you........ [:)] [:D] [:P]