Sign in to follow this  
Unlucky Fried Kitten

3 Points From Southend Match Essential?

I think that this is the case. If we lose again, this could be the start of a real fear amongst the players and staff as to how to achieve victory on the road. We are long overdue for that 1st away goal. Bag all 3 points at Roots Hall and our season can continue in the happy vein in which it has started. Lose, and we''re in for another long, hard aimless slog I''m afraid.

I think it is essential.  For the players, the management team, the fans, etc etc.  We started with some home wins (though not against any expected promotion candidates), we have had no away wins.  However, the style of football is much improved and alongside this the performance level of a few key players.  The inclusion, at last, of a genuine right winger has helped take the pressure from Hucks and made us less one dimensional in attack. 

Why can''t we win away, is it negative tactics, a fear factor, the opposition more up for the game on the day?  Whatever it is, it needs to be both addressed and remedied pretty quickly, it''s a trend which has been going on far too long.  If we have true title or even play off aspirations we not only need to address the away day factor, but also, perhaps even more importantly, the depth (or lack of it) in our squad.  So a few niggles and bugs and it all goes tits up.  So why didn''t we strengthen over the summer?  I don''t know if that is just a case of over cautious policy at board level, no one but the people that sit on the board know that.  If, though it is the case, can I suggest they show faith in their management team and make sure we are equipped with enough back up to counter any further niggles, and going on yesterday''s yellow card hand outs, any suspensions likely before Christmas. 

Southend are not going to roll over for the mighty Norwich City, but if we truly hold promotion dreams dear we MUST win there.  Essential, and to follow that up on Saturday with an assured and commanding performance and result against Palace, which should be a true test.

First we need to become hard to beat way from home, then the wins will come;  although a win does put us back on track for a point a game away from home (although I am not covinced thats enough for a play off spot (75 pts for play offs, 23 away leaves 52 at home, that means 15/16 wins at home out of 23 - whih is a very strong success rate).

4 points by next sunday should be our target.   

[quote user="barclay4ever"]not essential rite now but we need 2 get our form back on track, 3-0 at cov cud be a blip or the start of a bad run[/quote]Why is it "Not essential" I would say it very essential if we are to mount any challenge on promotion. If we can''t get results at places like southend we stand little if no chance of getting the points we need. Always somebody offers an excuse. So if we play ok make some chance and lose 1 nil in the last min that will be ok.

Psychologically its a big thing.  The longer it goes on, the more it will be on the minds of the players however much they deny it.  Its equally important they turn on a decent show, even if it means just getting a point.  A similar display to Coventry doesn''t bear thinking about.

I agree that we need to get 3 points on Tuesday night otherwise confidence will start to fall. Bit worried about the injuries from Sat, Hucks, groin strain, 2 unknowns with cheekbone injuries and Etuhu who has a bug.

We must work hard on getting 2 or 3 loanees in to bolster a thin ice squad as quickly as possible, injuries and bookings could leave us wih a massive problem in the winter months.

Yes a win is essentail!

I''m going, who else is making the trip?

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Have some time off work so i''ll be there.  New ground for me so can''t wait.

defat to southend would see 3 defeats this season, that would leave us hurtling towards mid table, Draw with Palace and it opens up a new can of worms, we can play as well as we like at home but as i said elsewhere it wont make 1 bit of difference if we are struggling away.

Also, a Draw with palace if we lose Tuesday is going to REALLY put thinngs into perspective. Whilst its going ok thus far i still cant really see it continue, im Not having "another dig" at worthy but i really dont see the guy as a football manager, when the chips are down or we are under pressure he just relies on ''hope'' to get us out of trouble. It wont be enough to save him this season i dont think. The man''s time has, finally, (and yes, unfortunately), come.

jas :)

YES!!!!! after yesterdays defeat we need at least draw (preferably a score draw), however i feel that a win is a must, otherwise the players will adopt a mentality that we can''t win away, i think on tuesday we need to adopt the same attcking mentality that we have used in home games as from what i''ve heard we are alot more negative away from carrow road

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="barclay4ever"]not essential rite now but we need 2 get our form back on track, 3-0 at cov cud be a blip or the start of a bad run[/quote]Why is it "Not essential" I would say it very essential if we are to mount any challenge on promotion. If we can''t get results at places like southend we stand little if no chance of getting the points we need. Always somebody offers an excuse. So if we play ok make some chance and lose 1 nil in the last min that will be ok.[/quote]

no games at this stage of the season are essential theres plenty of time to make up points we loose. i think wer getting carried away with our form before the break, wer not going to be second all season. it wasnt long ago every1 on here seemed set on us not reaching the play offs. wev just lost one game, albeit quite heavily and yet to score an away goal but realisticly we wnt be winning 5-1 every week and wer going to be bad away from home all year as usual. i dnt think it is necessarily "essential" if we dnt win and just because southend wnt be up there at the end of the season we shud still accept it will be a tough game and theres no shame loosing on ur travels whoever it is - exept if its ipswich

I see a lot of people are claiming that if we dont get a win the players may lose confidence away etc... We have been awful away for more than 2 years! lose confidence Its already gone years ago, we dont just lose either we rollover and die! Southend are also unbeaten at home! A win would be good but I just cant see it? we win less than 1 in 6 away under Worthington!

[quote user="JayM"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Have some time off work so i''ll be there.  New ground for me so can''t wait.

[/quote]

Don''t get too excited - it''s dire! The first few rows are below pitch level and if you want a bottle of cola, they will remove the lid (so you risk spilling it) as they are too frightened that you will fill your bottle with water and throw it on the pitch - that''s what we were told when we requested the bottle lid.

[quote user="barclay4ever"]

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="barclay4ever"]not essential rite now but we need 2 get our form back on track, 3-0 at cov cud be a blip or the start of a bad run[/quote]Why is it "Not essential" I would say it very essential if we are to mount any challenge on promotion. If we can''t get results at places like southend we stand little if no chance of getting the points we need. Always somebody offers an excuse. So if we play ok make some chance and lose 1 nil in the last min that will be ok.[/quote]

no games at this stage of the season are essential theres plenty of time to make up points we loose. i think wer getting carried away with our form before the break, wer not going to be second all season. it wasnt long ago every1 on here seemed set on us not reaching the play offs. wev just lost one game, albeit quite heavily and yet to score an away goal but realisticly we wnt be winning 5-1 every week and wer going to be bad away from home all year as usual. i dnt think it is necessarily "essential" if we dnt win and just because southend wnt be up there at the end of the season we shud still accept it will be a tough game and theres no shame loosing on ur travels whoever it is - exept if its ipswich

[/quote]Why bother even play away. Lets just stay at home in the warm.

[quote user="barclay4ever"]

[/quote]

For crying out loud! If there''s one thing that really bugs me it''s people that take for granted the early stages of the season. Of course every game is essential. Has nothing been learned from the the prem season? We missed out on relegation by 2 points. 2 points! Just two more draws, or a win, and last season could of been very different. But never mind, none of these early games are essential, regardless of the fact that we really should be beating teams like Southend home or away if we''re really promotion contenders...

We could be sitting in a similar place again, come May, where we miss out of getting in the playoffs by just a couple of points. And I''d hate to think back to the shambles of the game yesterday and think "what if?".

[quote user="Canaries for Ever"]

Don''t get too excited - it''s dire! The first few rows are below pitch level and if you want a bottle of cola, they will remove the lid (so you risk spilling it) as they are too frightened that you will fill your bottle with water and throw it on the pitch - that''s what we were told when we requested the bottle lid.

[/quote]

No worries.  I''m quite tall and won''t be drinking cola so i''ll be fine!

I''ll be going.

It''s only essential to win this game if our target for the season is 130 points!

I was dissapointed after the Coventry match though, I thought we did OK at Leeds and Derby, definitely unlucky to lose at Leeds, but we certainly didn''t deserve anything yesterday!

Conventional wisdom is that a team needs to average two points a game to obtain automatic promotion from this division, which means we need 6 points from the next to games to be exactly "on taget", that said 4points from the next two games would be absolutely fine and I see no reason why we would not be able to achieve that.

[quote user="kettering canary"]

Im going it is my first away game of the season,last season the only away games i saw were luton and reading- hopefully it will be a big improvement from them two guttless showings.

[/quote]

You were lucky to only suffer Luton and Reading! 

Seriously, it can''t get that bad again.  The manager, or more importantly the board will not let it get that bad again before action is taken.

you honestly think the manager or more importantly the board wont let that happen again? so what are they gonna do after saturdays pathetic showing? NOTHING AS BLOODY USUAL!!!

Southend Utd has to be one of the more winnable away games, doesn''t it? So of course it''s essential to win there. If we can''t beat a small club like Southend, we might as well forget any hopes of promotion this season. However, football is a funny old game, Saint!

[quote user="Mark Smith"][quote user="barclay4ever"]

[/quote]

For crying out loud! If there''s one thing that really bugs me it''s people that take for granted the early stages of the season. Of course every game is essential. Has nothing been learned from the the prem season? We missed out on relegation by 2 points. 2 points! Just two more draws, or a win, and last season could of been very different. But never mind, none of these early games are essential, regardless of the fact that we really should be beating teams like Southend home or away if we''re really promotion contenders...

We could be sitting in a similar place again, come May, where we miss out of getting in the playoffs by just a couple of points. And I''d hate to think back to the shambles of the game yesterday and think "what if?".

[/quote]

1st of all you cud say that about any season "if only wed got 2 points then, or 1 goal  here etc etc." fact is com the end of that season we didnt hav the points and we went down and if ur going to blame any one point it wud b the last game wen the lads bottled it wen all we needed to do was win.

2ndly if we wer middle to bottom half of the table now an had been all year so far this game wud not have been dubbed "essential" and wud hav been another chance to get an awful away record on track. i maintain the only reason every seems to think this game is so important is due to our form so far. and theres nothing rong with that but i think ppl r blowing the situation out of proportion

Southend are a poor side, and we need to beat them, to get points on the board, and boost flagging confidence amongst fans and players.  To suggest that we only need to win if we want maximum points this year is nothing short of insanity.  I do wonder what goes through some people minds!

[quote user="canary cherub"]

I''ll be going.

It''s only essential to win this game if our target for the season is 130 points!

I was dissapointed after the Coventry match though, I thought we did OK at Leeds and Derby, definitely unlucky to lose at Leeds, but we certainly didn''t deserve anything yesterday!

[/quote]

Every point is always essential, every game is a must win, you must always have a winning attitude constantly in sport if you are to be successful.

yes we need a win at sarfend. I thought we played to win every time we went onto the pitch. Sorry but I can''t buy into this 4 points by saturday night and we will be happy cobblers. Play to win always. This attitude has a risk of the "little norwich oh dear never mind" mentality from the prem returning.

I want us to win every game, especially those against the newly promoted teams, then take this confidence into the Palace game and stuff them too.

6 points on sat night..............now I would be happy. 

Thanks for those few kind words JC!! How do you know Southend are a poor side? Have you seen them play?? They have 7 points so far this season! To suggest they are so poor without seeing them play would be nothing short of insanity!

The shrimpers may be faves to go back down but they remain unbeaten at home with 7/9 points, conceeding just one goal.  We are a local derby for them and one of the ''big boys'' so they will want to do well against us even more - they have shown they can raise their game at home so we have to be wary and not get over confident/complacent. 

Undoubtedly we should be looking for 3 points. especially if we have promotion aspirations - but likewise we should go to Coventry and not get stuffed.  However given the loss of our best player, no goals away from home and our inability to beat any of our promotion rivals scoring 4/6 would be a good performance.  Clearly 6/6 is preferable and achievable,  but in context 4/6 is good, 3/6 OK and less is concerning.  

Of course we want to win every game but we dont start the season expecting to get 138 points, or expect all of the remain 120.

My point was that we cannot have the mentality of allowing early points to be dropped, and I cannot see why anyone would ever say points were not essential.  Arguing about the perception of Southend as a team has nothing to do with my original point.

[quote user="canary cherub"]Thanks for those few kind words JC!! How do you know Southend are a poor side? Have you seen them play?? They have 7 points so far this season! To suggest they are so poor without seeing them play would be nothing short of insanity![/quote]