Sign in to follow this  
Tufnell Park Canary

petty, but I can't help it....

I''m fed up with footballers and managers using the cliche "potential banana skin" to descrieb a team agaisnt lower league opposition (see Worthy''s comments on the Torquay game).

Either something is a banana skin or it isn''t, unless you want to get very philiosophical.

The potential is for you to slip on the banana skin. Whether you slip on the banana skin or not, it remains nonetheless a banana skin.

Thank you and good night

fantastic post!

goes in the same pot as

"i can only see this match ending in one result..."

i''m sure there''s a ''hat-full'' of these...

Another one that gets me is when a player hits a shot which goes just high/wide and the commentator says "Ohhh, *insert player name* was so unlucky there!"No he wasn''t! It wasn''t even on target!If the keeper pulls off a stunning save then fair enough, its unlucky because most keepers wouldn''t have saved it.

My favourite is ''The ball picked up pace off the wet surface''.  Commentators are apparently allowed to  rewrite the laws of physics at will.

[quote user="Tufnell Park Canary"]

I''m fed up with footballers and managers using the cliche "potential banana skin" to descrieb a team agaisnt lower league opposition (see Worthy''s comments on the Torquay game).

Either something is a banana skin or it isn''t, unless you want to get very philiosophical.

The potential is for you to slip on the banana skin. Whether you slip on the banana skin or not, it remains nonetheless a banana skin.

Thank you and good night

[/quote]Its actually very difficult to slip on a banana

[quote user="mbncfc"]

fantastic post!

goes in the same pot as

"i can only see this match ending in one result..."

i''m sure there''s a ''hat-full'' of these...

[/quote]When a team is 2-0 down, and the commentator says "Well, they need a goal here..." No **** Sherlock!

footy would not be as much fun without the cliches.

UEA, sounds like you''ve studied the slipage qualities of a banana skin, I have to admit there are many more likely substances that would lead to a slippage situation, in fact I would imaging (based on my own experience) that you can actually get realatively high purchase on a banana skin!

anyway, it''s a game of two halves, the better team lost, I don''t want to talk about the ref / penalty but it was dive etc. etc. ......

[quote user="Marty"]

footy would not be as much fun without the cliches.

UEA, sounds like you''ve studied the slipage qualities of a banana skin, I have to admit there are many more likely substances that would lead to a slippage situation, in fact I would imaging (based on my own experience) that you can actually get realatively high purchase on a banana skin!

anyway, it''s a game of two halves, the better team lost, I don''t want to talk about the ref / penalty but it was dive etc. etc. ......

[/quote]

I must apologise for my spelling, it is truly awful, I will spend more than 3 seconds next time! I don’t claim to be the best speller but I am not as bad as that previous post of mine would indicate. My excuse is that I am actually paid to work and that is where my main concentration goes!

[quote user="Marty"]UEA, sounds like you''ve studied the slipage qualities of a banana skin[/quote]Well it was either that or Social Sciences

[quote user="Tufnell Park Canary"]

Actually, I''ve got a Sociology degree and an MA so I can safely say that while interesting to study, in terms of getting a well paid job studying the slippage of a banana is the best bet.

[8-|]

[/quote]Tufnell, good on you for taking it as a light hearted joke, I certainly did not mean to offend anyone [:P]

While we are being trivial can I just say, Marty, that those guinea pigs are just gorgeous, they look so cute and cuddly, have they been genetically modified in some way?

[quote]

I''m fed up with footballers and managers using the cliche potential banana skin to descrieb a team agaisnt lower league opposition (see Worthy''s comments on the Torquay game).

Thank you and good night

[/quote] 

I totally agree. I remember at uni trying to skid on a banana skin on purpose one night for a laugh (I may have been under the influence slightly at the time) and it didn''t work at all. No skid, no fall - just a mashed up banana skin!!

Marty  PLEASE bring back your old avatar ..  The one with the garden chair from B & Q .

Thanks

John Motson is the best with classics like ''what a save and if the keeper had not got to that it would have been a certain goal''  - he is brilliant is John with stupid comments like that.

"It was the final ball that let us down". Well it was only the final

ball because it was a bad pass, it wouldn''t have been the "final ball"

if it had found it''s target

[quote user="SI"]

Marty  PLEASE bring back your old avatar ..  The one with the garden chair from B & Q .

Thanks

[/quote]

Sorry to deprive you of my old avatar but I fancy changing it from time to time, once again it features something that make my life a more enjoyable experience. You need to get yourself down to B & Q to get your fix!

if someone shoots from distance and it goes in then it was a superb strike, fanstastic, exceelent, thunderbolt etc, but not lucky. why is it then when someone shoots from distance they are trying their luck. secondly how can you try you luck, do you need a changing room?

[quote]

isnt the banana more slippery than the skin????[/quote]Without lubrication from the mushier, non-skin part (what is the inside of a banana on it''s own called?), the slipperly factor falls.I reckon it''s the combination of the two that makes it work to maximum effect.Is this a fresh banana skin, or an old dried one that has been missed by the cleaners?

Neil Adams winds me up.

He''ll say things like "Dickson Etuhu was man of the match".

Someone will then call in and suggest that Darren Huckerby, say, is their man of the match.

To which Adams will answer something like: "Yep - couldn''t argue".

But of course he could argue - he''s just plumped for Etuhu, for feck''s sake.

Anyway, he''s wrong regardless. He could argue even if he agrees with the caller. So to say "Couldn''t argue" is actually a blatant lie.

[quote user="Web Team - Vince"][quote] isnt the banana more slippery than the skin????[/quote]Without lubrication from the mushier, non-skin part (what is the inside of a banana on it''s own called?), the slipperly factor falls.

I reckon it''s the combination of the two that makes it work to maximum effect.

Is this a fresh banana skin, or an old dried one that has been missed by the cleaners?
[/quote]

hmmm interesting. i wonder if the presence of precipitation would make the potential skid skiddier, or whether it has a binding effect. also are we now assuming that the inside of the skin is less skidier than the internal mushier part.

not really, but I have posted my guinea pigs on another site before and they were well received.

[quote user="Marty"]not really, but I have posted my guinea pigs on another site before and they were well received.[/quote]I''d post a pic of my bunny but the dog next door took him [:''(]

Sorry to have to break my silence but it''s the bananas thing.

While so many brilliant minds are bunched together on this subject can anyone clarify the remark made by Yankee Canary a few months back which included ''unpeeling a banana?''

He is probably correct although most people seem to say peel a banana/orange or in Mello''s case...grapes.

If we peel a banana are we infact referring to the action of replacing the skin over the edible flesh if so why do we apply this phrase to the reverse? And when we peel it why do we say peeling back the skin rather than peeling back the peel and why does the skin naturally divide into four?

Come to mention it, what is it with Germans and bananas, they are the national fruit, infact they go bananas over them.

And on that subject: how is one perceived to go ''bananas? Does on have a slight bent? Does one turn yellow or hang around in a bunch? No! The fruit seems to be inexplicably linked to bizarre and eccentric behaviour and yet, looking at a banana I don''t see it inspiring lunacy.

And why did I book into this clinic anyway, I''m fine, nothing wrong with me, Mother, wonder if the Doctor has missed his laptop yet....................................................?