Sign in to follow this  
Gunn Rack

Worthy worthy???

Wonder how many many Worthy outers are gonna become KTFers after a few more games like this.

Couldn''t get to the game tonight due to work commitments, obviously that means i''m not fit to comment, but listing to the commentary it sounded like we were back to the good old Norwich of a couple seasons ago when errrrm, Worthy was in charge.

I know two half decent performances don''t count for a lot, but why don''t we all get behind, and support the team we love, even if just for the next few games and see how things are then.....

Whaddya say?!?!?!

Fair dues to Worthless, earning the right to play and the hoof seem to be gone - hopefully for good.  The team is playing football again.  I still feel we will need a target man in the squad - the missing link you might say, but what I saw today was an unbeleivable difference to last season.

win , lose or draw the bloke has the charisma of an inland revenue letter , sounds really good at the momment big test for him will be when we get injuries and if Earnie stays til may

I am a Worthy-Outer still and will probably be for a long time but I have always wanted the best for NCFC (I have always said to my friends that I''m not a Worthington supporter but will always be a Norwich supporter). I genuinely would love it if Norwich won the Championship by a country-mile this season even if it meant Worthington sticking two fingers up at everyone during the lap of honour. However. Worthington has blown it with me in terms of ever having any respect for him. I think he always comes across as fairly arrogant and quite cavaliar in his attitude towards the fans from almost his first day in the job and he finally blew it at the end of last season. I won''t go into a massive tirade pointing out his pros and cons because it''s been done a hundred times before and wouldn''t really be a proper answer to your question. In a hypothetical world, suppose Norwich got promoted and then made a decent hash of it next year in the Premiership, I would have to admit Worthington wasn''t as bad a manager as I thought but would still dislike him personally. But it''s all hypothetical anyway.

I''m with you on this.  We won and it sounds like for once we thoroughly deserved to.  Although, the jury has to be still out on the manager until there is a marked improvement in the away form tonights performance is a step in the right direction.  Well done the team.    

[quote user="Forbes17"]I am a Worthy-Outer still and will probably be for a long time but I have always wanted the best for NCFC (I have always said to my friends that I''m not a Worthington supporter but will always be a Norwich supporter). I genuinely would love it if Norwich won the Championship by a country-mile this season even if it meant Worthington sticking two fingers up at everyone during the lap of honour. However. Worthington has blown it with me in terms of ever having any respect for him. I think he always comes across as fairly arrogant and quite cavaliar in his attitude towards the fans from almost his first day in the job and he finally blew it at the end of last season. I won''t go into a massive tirade pointing out his pros and cons because it''s been done a hundred times before and wouldn''t really be a proper answer to your question. In a hypothetical world, suppose Norwich got promoted and then made a decent hash of it next year in the Premiership, I would have to admit Worthington wasn''t as bad a manager as I thought but would still dislike him personally. But it''s all hypothetical anyway.[/quote]

I''m not trying to be funny here but I think you will find that a lot of managers have ignored the fans at times. After all the job is not to entertain the fans but to coach/manage the team into getting the right results.

Forgive me if I am wrong but if managers were to keep the fans happy by entertaining them then would the manager also be the mascot ie: splat the cat.

Again if the manager did everything the fans wanted what would be the point of having a manager - why not just have someone who listens to the crowd and decides what to do on the loudest chants?

There is no logic at all.

Hunter comes in as Coach over the summer and we''re suddenly doing all the things that we weren''t doing last season. The Clue Bag is full, I would suggest.

Well we won. Alas I could not be there. Sounds like we are back playing good honest City football.

As for the manager. Well he''s not ever going to make a PR man, but then again why should he! Some of his comments annoy me, but then again some of mine do with reflection!

If he makes us a winning team, then I can forgive him for sometimes being well human!

[quote user="Forbes17"]However. Worthington has blown it with me in terms of ever having any respect for him. I think he always comes across as fairly arrogant and quite cavaliar in his attitude towards the fans [/quote]I think you''ve got delusions of granduer mate, Worthington made with a slightly snappy reply to a stupid question from a reporter, get over it.Our job as supporters is to get behind whatever team whatever managers in charge of the club puts out for 90 minutes once or twice a week. Theres a reason we don''t have a weekly ballot where we all submit votes for what team we should pick.You''re saying you''d have no respect for him if he got us promoted this season? (again!)Thats a ridiculous point of view to be frank. While I''ve been more than annoyed with him a few times, the man took us to the Premiership for the first time in over a decade. While everyone likes to remember the season as a disaster, all the neutrals I spoke to gave us credit for having a good go of it and playing some decent football at times. If we''d signed Cashton or A.N. Other at the start rather than in January then I''ve little doubt we''d have stayed up. He also gave me what turned out to only be a bloody good day out at Cardiff, and going back further stabilised a very sick looking ship after a string of failed managers and crap players.When I weigh that up against a few comments from a manager who''s been asked a deliberately loaded question after a heavy defeat and reacted badly, theres no contest.How can you not have a modicum of respect for the man, even if you don''t particularly like him?

" I am a Worthy-Outer still and will probably be for a long time ..."

Possibly best sums up the gutless hypocrites that made up the rabble that expended so much effort in attacking our club. If Worthington is not good enough fine if that''s your view, but at least have the principles to stick to that belief.

You lot wanted him out. The majority didn''t. We stuck with supporting the club and were branded keep the faith. Well now let''s see you lot keeping the faith. Keeping the faith in the ideas about our club that you lot spent so long spouting.

Any chance of that happening, I doubt very, very much ? You''ll disappear just like the idiot family near me with their childish home made banners. Fans perhaps, supporters never.

Ralph - a couple of half decent performances against a couple of pretty poor teams and those who "kept the faith" are coming over all high and mighty...pretty early in the season to be doing that.

I personally think worthington is a very limited manager and stick by that. However I went to the game last night with an open mind and came away pleasantly surprised.

The point has been made earlier in this thread - the squad is waffer thin (not necessarily Worthingtons fault) but a couple of injuries to key players (Safri - who made the whole midfield tick last night, Drury - who was solid, Earnshaw,Hucks, Shacks) which will happen at some stage during the season, this is the time when you should judge our performances and when the abilities of a manager come to the fore.

However at this point in time, i absolutely agree, the football last night at times was excellent and Worthington obviously has to be given credit for it - likewise when things go badly he has to be accountable aswell.   

So nice to see that the "one swallow" has flown in and made a summer in so many eyes.

I am WO. What I watched last night was by far a much better performance than the recent offerings. However, my mind is not changed.

As with so many times last season I have no comfort that we have a plan B. I heard Worthy say that he had a plan for away games and a plan for home games. 4-5-1 seems to be our plan for both. We still need a traget man of a bigger stature than Earnie - not for hoofball but to feed from the service we now have from both wings. However, when Croft went off the shape went and we looked confused in midfield, my point that we need a plan B and I don''t think there is one.

long may this starting 11 be available but when cahnges are required there is nothing other than last years offerings to come in.

If Martin Hunter has made the difference get the Managers tie on him asap and bring full harmony back to Carrow Road. Whilst Worthy is there full happiness will not be.

OTBC

Just as 2 games is too soon to crucify or assess a players ability the same applies to giving praise - ask again in 8-10 gams time.

It has been a good start to the season so its so far so good;  We had too many false dawns last season to be able to know what is to come - we knew we had the core of a good squad and we are seeing what they can do;  the challenge was doing it consistently and also away from home.

My main concern remains depth in midfield - could losing a safri disrupt the formation and team balance too much?

Personally I stopped caring about whether Worthy stayed or went a long time ago.  I''m growing tired of all the constant negativity surrounding this forum and the club in general.  We had a thread yesterday of people preparing to chant "Worthy Out" during last nights game if things weren''t going well - the first home game of the season!

I''m glad the season has started and I hope we can start talking about football again. 

well instead of sitting at home watching panorama you could have been at FCR seeing for yourself what really supporting the team you were born to support is all about! It was a great night, great result, and to cap it all dicky got on five live after the game

" Ralph - a couple of half decent performances against a couple of pretty poor teams and those who "kept the faith" are coming over all high and mighty...pretty early in the season to be doing that."

Not in my case. I was merely pointing out how those that had the sacking of Worthington and the removal of the board as their sole agenda are now making their excuses. If they believed in those two causes then let them have the integrity to stick to those views.

As to anyone who didn''t subscribe to the notion that everything was so simple that a change in the manager was all that was required they were branded keep the faith, irrespective of what we thought.

Anyone now claiming that everything is rosy and hunky dory would be a fool, there''s a lot to do. What is not foolish is to have retained the view that the club was doing it''s utmost to get things right.

What the last two games have shown is that the transformation may have been the result of the replacing of Foley with Hunter. If that is the case and the club were not in the position to bring in Hunter till the close season then it shows how beneficial it is to have a board that does what''s best for the club, not appeasing a bunch of fickle ''johnny come latelys.''

I mean there''s no doubt the club have had an encouraging decisions, and worthy has made some good decisions and maybe one or two questionable ones. Lets not rush to make any decisions, I''m pleasantly suprised the way the season has gone so far, but so far were mid table, and it''s only two games. Lets just enjoy the season and be glad football is back and we''ve got something to discuss. Lets not be arrogant and think this a points scoring ktf worthy out exercise, as I think you''ll find that very few people on here would actually sit in either camp, but somewhere in the middle.

Hmmm. Well, I suppose I''ll respond to my critics then.

Chicken - I have no idea where you got the idea that I expected or even wanted Worthington to prance about at half-time like a mascot to ''entertain'' the fans. I don''t think that''s a managers job either and would be pretty weirded out if it did happen. Just because I don''t like him having pops at the fans, it doesn''t mean I expect him to personally meet and greet every supporter at the ground on a match-day

Ralph Wright - I am not a ''gutless hypocrite''. By saying that I wouldn''t be a Worthington supporter for quite a long time (I forget the exact words) I''m actually sticking to my principles. If I suddenly changed my mind now and said I love him after the performance of 2 games (one of which we lost) then that would make me a hypocrite. I''m assuming you looked at the wording I used and thought I was setting some sort of deadline by which to change my mind. What I meant was that I''ve lost my respect for him indefinitely. Like I said, if we suddenly won the Championship, then won the Premiership, League Cup and FA Cup in our first return season, then went on to reclaim all those honours plus the Champions League in 2008/09 then I''d probably have to admit that Worthington isn''t too bad a manager. Frankly though that''s never going to happen! You can never be certain of anything in football though so if Worthington suddenly got his act together on the pitch. with his signings and with his respect to the fans then, after a prolonged and consistent time, I may reconsider. I don''t think this makes me a ''hypocrite'' just because I''d have changed my mind because Worthington addressed the problems that made me dislike him in the first place. But of course it suits your belittling of me.

I''m also getting really sick and tired of this whole ''If you don''t stick with Worthington then you''re not a proper supporter and should clear off''. Why? Have you applauded and supported every single player to pull on the yellow and green? If I didn''t appreciate Fernando Derveld, did that make me a bad ''fan'' as well? Or Steve Walsh? Or Bryan Hamilton? And before you say I boo and jeer the players and Worthington, I don''t. I want Worthington gone because I care so much about Norwich City. I can''t understand why most of the KTF (for want of a better phrase) don''t seem to understand that. I was talking to some Ipswich boys the other day who said that they thought our squad looked fairly good but that we had an atrocious manager so we wouldn''t go up.

Herb - To my mind ''respect'' can be won but it can also be lost. I would also nearly always use the word respect to mean how I view the person''s character and personality. For example Bellamy is a good footballer but I don''t respect him as a person. I cannot remember every single comment Worthington has made that has riled me but I can remember:

• There was one game nearly immediately after he was appointed where he criticised the supporters for not making enough noise or something during home games. He then had to apologise after loads of letters and complaints were put to the club
  • When we got promoted I was at the Norwich reserves vs Brentford reserves (just jumping on the bandwagon in time eh Ralph!) and he came out to address the fans. Almost the first thing he said was something along the lines of up yours to all the fans who had wanted a bigger name when he was appointed as manager. (A 3-and-a-half year grudge fulfilled)
  • Obviously the ''true fans'' comment
  • Getting his new contract for the club by publicly flirting with the Sheffield Wednesday job. Where was his respect for the board who took a gamble on him
  • The ''one on the chin'' comments

And lots more besides. To be honest I feel like I''ve been typing for ages and can''t really be bothered any more. I still get the impression that Worthington does feel that he is bigger than Norwich City Football Club and has forced out a few players he just did not get on with for personality reasons and not footballing ones. I do not think I suffer from delusions of grandeur but, again, personal attacks belittle my reasoning don''t they. Mate.

The first two games have been little steps on the road to recovery for Nigel Worthington. He, the team, and the fans still have a very long way to go (till things are back to how they were). I was 95/5 against Worthy at the beginning of the season, i am now 90/10 (against), like i said still a long long way to go....It''s going to be a really interesting season what ever happens!