Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

If you see MP Ian Gibson at Carrow Road...

You may want to tell him what you think of his comments in the media, when he said that all Norfolk people were inbred. When asked about the rise in diabetes in the region MP Ian Gibson said:"I would imagine it is linked to the fact that people in Norfolk are quite in-bred with many not leaving the county"I recall Ian Gibson always used to sit in the upper tier of the Barclay stand at Carrow Road. So if you see him, do tell him what you think of his remarks about you and your family.http://tinyurl.com/h87s7

I think he was referring to the past generations. Anyway, have none of you lot ever been to Dickleburgh??!! Scary.

They don''t do high fives there, they do high sixes...

His wording may have been a bit ill chosen but its a biological fact. The gene pool is smaller in East Anglia than in many parts of Britain. Give him a break.

Or, if you arn''t a total reactionary, you may want to listen to the facts of the case.

What he was saying was not "Everyone in my constituency ***** their mother". Ian Gibson isn''t stupid.

It was in fact, that if you look at the name spreads in Norfolk, compared to other areas of the country, there is less variety. This is because  we arn''t linked with other areas easily, so partners are usually from the local community, and because of this a higher perecentage of people marry someone of the same name, or etymologically similar (i.e. Smith marries a Smyth etc), so the original gene pool contains similar biological traits. Unfortunately he used the term "in-bred" which has a different meaning when used by Geo-Biologists and Scientists generally than it does when used by everyone else.

The press have just jumped on it with great glee because obviously the bloke is going to slag off his own supporters in an "MP in ''My Constituents Are In-Breds'' SHOCKER".

I can''t believe you jumped when they clicked their fingers.

Gibson''s right. Not very PC, but accurate. When I mention to some people I''m going to London, it''s like I''ve booked a trip to the moon!

Hevingham is the scariest place I''ve been to in Norfolk. Very strange characters who pronounce their village in a very Arkwright-esque Heaaaaaaaarvingham....

Well it is quite funny when you meet people in the local pub and the dad is older than the brothers wifes aunties grandads step nan.

Seriously though he was spot on if he ment a few generations ago.

I see him all the time in the lower barclay, even if i had a problem with what he said, i wouldnt be telling him inside CR - poor bugger is there to relax and watch a good game, not get hounded by inbreds!

[quote user="Rossi"]poor bugger is there to relax and watch a good game, not get hounded by inbreds![/quote]Rossi, thats quality mate :)Maybe I''m just feeling smug ''cos I''m from good Lancashire stock and just had the fortune of being born in the finest county on the face of the earth.

[quote user="Peter"]His wording may have been a bit ill chosen but its a biological fact. The gene pool is smaller in East Anglia than in many parts of Britain. Give him a break.[/quote]

Absolute,complete utter rubbish,Peter I suggest if you''ve got nothing sensible to say....say nowt,it is definately not a biological "fact"

Anyone ever seen a film called DELIVERANCE
im a born and bred londonder but support norwich due to my dad.
when i see the inbreds in deliverance and come to norwich games i can see uncanny similarities. 

I think it’s a case for him to put brain in gear before speaking… I know most of us don’t do that, but he’s a politician representing the people of North Norwich. .Ill advised words and with little fact in scientific circles about diabetes at least, shows a lack of judgement on his part his part this time.

I am sure in the past before people moved much, then there may have been a case for his claims. However since the invention of the motor car then no where is out of reach in England. Hence the many different accents I hear every time I come back to the fair city from the North-West.

Still he’s apologised and we all make silly remarks now and then. Live and let live. How many Gibson in Norfolk though…..

[quote user="GJD"]However since the invention of the motor car then no where is out of reach in England.[/quote]What are these "motor cars" you speak of?More to the point, when will they reach Corpusty?

[quote user="Herb"][quote user="GJD"]However since the invention of the motor car then no where is out of reach in England.[/quote]

What are these "motor cars" you speak of?

More to the point, when will they reach Corpusty?
[/quote]

Used to go to the pub in corpusty as a stop off on my motorcycling travels - always got looked at as if i had two heads and my feet were on backwards. Eventually i realised that i did indeed look different to the rest of them - they all seemed to share a family resemblance!

appreciated herb for the recognition of my jest!

Motor car.. Some sort of time machine I believe...

They even have them in deepest Suffolk these days!

Gibson is from Scotland (net exporter of Politicians and vagrants) isn''t he, now there''s a tight little gene pool for you so he should know.

Gibbo''s not wrong about Norfolk in breeding, whether it is the cause for incidence of diabetes perhaps fanciful.

If you want to see proper in breeding not this country cousin nonsense, get yourself down to the Forest of Dean, my wife was Gynae nurse in Gloucs Royal, most terminations were because father of the child was family member.

Don''t worry too much Gibbo unlikely to affect you at the polls for obvious reasons. 

[quote user="nolegs"]

[quote user="Peter"]His wording may have been a bit ill chosen but its a biological fact. The gene pool is smaller in East Anglia than in many parts of Britain. Give him a break.[/quote]

Absolute,complete utter rubbish,Peter I suggest if you''ve got nothing sensible to say....say nowt,it is definately not a biological "fact"

[/quote]

Ever read a book in your life nolegs? Thought not.

[quote user="nolegs"]

[/quote]

Someones got their GCSE results early!!

Well, some angry mob you lot turned out to be. Suppose I''ll have to find another use for these pitchforks and flaming torches.As for me, I felt Gibson''s remarks were both illogical and unscientific. Being based on on prejudice rather than hard facts. When the diabetologist at the Norfolk and Norwich comes out and calls the MP a disgrace for such comments it''s fair to say Gibson is talking cobblers. But at least he''s apologised since.Anyway, better try and sell off this portable gallows on ebay.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Anyway, better try and sell off this portable gallows on ebay. [/quote]I''m suprised you didn''t sell that during the great Andy Hugues gallows shortage of 2005..

[quote user="Kathy"][quote user="nolegs"]

[/quote]

Ever read a book in your life nolegs? Thought not.

Pathetic Kathy,sorry,just pathetic

[/quote]

Inbreeding is supposed to be higher in any of the yokel type counties  isn''t it?

Having spent a few years residing in the West Country I would say it''s definitely more rife there.

If there was crowd trouble at this seasons Norwich-Plymouth fixtures the police would have hell of a time identifying the culprits. [:)]