Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Why Worthy is slowly winning me round.

Dignity, thats why?.

With all the rubbish we''ve slung at him these last few seasons (me more than most!) he''s stuck in there and apart from two outbursts (who wouldn''t ?) has stood tall and got on with the job at hand.

Can you imagine the kind of pressure he''s under?, no, I can''t either. Okay, I''m never going to be his number one fan, but fair play to the bloke, City are playing well again.

Some will point to Martin Hunter for this revival, but that seems a trifle unfair to me. After all, who brought him in?. If we as fans can hound the manager for playing ''hoofball'' last year, then it is only fit and proper to praise the man when he gets its right.

Anything less is a witch hunt, and I want no part of that!.

I''m starting to admire the guy, albeit slowly, I watched his interview on Sky last night and I found myself being proud of him, thats right, I said PROUD.

The point of this post is this: If I can now have these feelings regarding our manager, then any EX Worthy Outer can have the same conversion as I.

Yes, I did say EX Worthy Outer!.

Its not just the players that have changed this season you know. 

OTBC.

WELL SAID,  NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HEAR YOU SAY THAT, BUT SHOWS YOUR HUMBLE SIDE, AS YOU RIGHTLY SAID, ITS WAS WORTHY WHO BROUGHT HUNTER IN, AND FOR ALL THOSE WHO CRITISED WORTHY FOR BUYING SUB STANDARD PLAYERS LIKE ETUHU, ARE THEY MAN ENOUGH TO SAY THEY TOO MAY BE WRONG, YES HE PLAYED BADLY LAST SEASON, BUT IT WAS ASKING ALOT FOR HIM TO COME INTO A POORLY PLAYING SIDE WITH FANS ON THEIR BACK AND PLAY TO ANY DECENT STANDARD.  ROBINSON IS LOOKING A BETTER PLAYER, AND AS SAID BEFORE ON THIS BOARD IF WE GET BEHIND HUGHES MAYBE HE WILL IMPROVE ON LAST YEAR, HIS PASING WILL NEVER MATCH THAT OF ALONSO OR EVEN SAF, BUT HE COULD BE AN IMPORTANT PLAYER TO GET IN AND HASSLE  AND UNSETTLE PLAYERS, AND MAYBE PLAYING HIM IN HIS PREFERED POSISITION OF CENTRE MIDFIELD AS OPPOSSED TO ON THE RIGHT, WILL HELP HIS GAME ALSO.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Dignity, thats why?.

With all the rubbish we''ve slung at him these last few seasons (me more than most!) he''s stuck in there and apart from two outbursts (who wouldn''t ?) has stood tall and got on with the job at hand.

Can you imagine the kind of pressure he''s under?, no, I can''t either. Okay, I''m never going to be his number one fan, but fair play to the bloke, City are playing well again.

Some will point to Martin Hunter for this revival, but that seems a trifle unfair to me. After all, who brought him in?. If we as fans can hound the manager for playing ''hoofball'' last year, then it is only fit and proper to praise the man when he gets its right.

Anything less is a witch hunt, and I want no part of that!.

I''m starting to admire the guy, albeit slowly, I watched his interview on Sky last night and I found myself being proud of him, thats right, I said PROUD.

The point of this post is this: If I can now have these feelings regarding our manager, then any EX Worthy Outer can have the same conversion as I.

Yes, I did say EX Worthy Outer!.

Its not just the players that have changed this season you know. 

OTBC.

[/quote]

Oh Dear! I dare say we will see you back onside when it starts to go tits up???  How you can go from one of the biggest Worthy outers (well on this board anyway) to an ex worthy outer in 3 games?? Forget the question marks,i dont want to know your answers Wiz.

Wiz!!! for all your bluster and your contradictory and personally rude points that you and others so relentlessly pursued against Worthy (not your name for him).  There at last is for me a glimmer of hope ,after reading this post from you.  For a change it had a tone of respect for a fellow man, and not least a sign, that you and all of us must realise, that if you don''t do anything you will not make mistakes, Worthy is a doer and has made several mistakes, he like us can learn from them, we should all do well to remember that he has never sought to run down or denigrate his governors,(the board) he has conducted himself according to what we would imagine as his contract stipulates; the money available to him has not been a king''s ransom compared to the Chelsea ilk.

I believe that he has got on with his job as he sees it with hardly a moan.  He is obviously his own man and does not in any way court popularity judging by his public remarks (Fans etc) neither from his latest remarks does he hold a grudge in the way that many on these boards do.  For once Wiz whether you approve or not I will say well said !!! Keep taking the tablets!

A note on the players during this new season and their obvious new found energy as well as being ready to do battle in a heartening way with not little skill.  What a transformation and indeed ,well done for whatever the reason.

Wiz ur a fool.. i guarentee if we go out and lose our next 3 u will be saying "Worthingtons a fool" all over again.

IM still worthy out and will continue to be, he has to go a long way to win me back around.. Promotion would go a small way to heal the rift.. everyones going on like we have already won the league and worthington is the messiah.. there are 43 more games to go this season... Earnshaw getting injured, or hucks getting injured, the team losing form or Worthington messing about with tactics etc will see it all go "pete Tong" again wont it...

and wizz.... if u see the bandwagon.. ur too late.

Worthy Out!

jas :)

Jas:

Show a little respect please, have I called you a fool lately?.......................no.

If Earnie or Hucks gets injured it won''t be Worthy''s fault, it''ll be down to some brute nobbling them, you can''t blame Nigel for everything you know.

Oh silly old me, apparently YOU can!.

I''m with Jas on this.  Its a goodish start but Worthy has a long way to go before i am convinced he should stay.

Defeat avoidance at Derby would be a start. 

nik wyer, I don''t mean to moan but can we please observe some netiquette and not keep the Caps lock on, IT MAKES IT SEEM LIKE YOUR SHOUTING! [:P]Anyway, Good on you Wiz I think its very commendable to admit you were wrong and to basically eat your words. Whether I agree however, yes a great start just what we need and well done to hunter and worthy for making the changes and the players improving themselves but there is still a long way to go and I''m standing by no top 6 finish and worthy out.

Wiz,

I''m so shocked I''m nearly speechless.

The only way he''ll get me back on side is if he resigns and admits its too bigger job for him , then I''ll have some respect for him.

CA

Ok Wiz, lets put this on the weighing scales - on one side we have approx 90 odd games of dire football over a period of 2 years on the other side of the scales we have one week of acceptable football, hmmmmm now let me think - do I change my view or keep an open mind for a little longer? damn these difficult decisions!

Wizard, you should not be called a fool but I have no hesitation in calling you a fickle fellow. Or even a wishy-washy Wizard. I think I like that better. An analogy for you specifically in the way that your opinion varies on an emotional roller coaster. If one were to respond to a weather forecast in buying clothing then, obviously, it''s appropriate to buy clothes for each of the seasons. In your case, however, you demonstrate a penchance to purchase a winter coat, a rain coat and a pair of Italian speedos all within a day or two. Possibly the English weather dictates such an outburst of emotion. Nigel Worthington is far more predictable I fear. He is no more than a few weeks away from putting his foot in his mouth again. He''s certainly no more than four weeks away from pulling a few tactical blunders. I don''t want this to happen but I certainly expect it. Let''s observe.

A little advice for you as you are "a man of hats". Buy your "top hat" in February when the team has demonstrated the ability to be at or near the top for well over half a season. Buy a "baseball cap" when you are convinced you will never see Premiership football again. Buy a "party hat" when the end of season sees us promoted. Buy a sombrero when you have made so many wild-a**sed predictions you don''t want to be recognised in the city. Most importantly, before you buy anything, attach a chin strap to your Wizard''s hat because you will undoubtedly be going through the roof on both sides of this issue before too many months elapse.

We''ve just had 2 hugely entertaining matches, & 6 points, in the

last 5 days and you want the manager to resign, City Angel. I really

don''t understand, I can''t actually see the slightest bit of logic in

that. Am I missing something?

" Am I missing something? "

Nothing other than a concise definition of the difference between a fan and a supporter.

[quote user="Yellow Shrimper"]We''ve just had 2 hugely entertaining matches, & 6 points, in the last 5 days and you want the manager to resign, City Angel. I really don''t understand, I can''t actually see the slightest bit of logic in that. Am I missing something?
[/quote]

Because Shrimper, the "Worthy Out" movement (for a small few) has become more a personal vendetta against the man, than a campaign "for the good of the club" to remove the manager.  Sadly for some it has nothing to do with football because he "upset" them last season and they still want to cry about now.  Funnily enough it''s ok to call him whatever they want but the second the man even slightly retorts it''s nasty and horrible to call people names.

City Angel:

You know I love you to death (In a fellow Poster/City supporter kind of way of course! so don''t worry Mrs Wiz! ) but I can''t help myself here. There''s something spooky about old Worthy and the team this season, I can see a strange aura about them. All I''m asking you to do (and other WOuters come to that) is take a ''leap of faith'' with me. And no, I don''t mean KTF!.

I''m sure you''ll enjoy it!.[;)]

Yankee Canary:

At last!, welcome back my old nemises. As per usual, I''ve taken on board your advice and as per usual, I''m ignoring it!. Look, I know one swallow doesn''t make a summer, but why not go with the flow?, and enjoy what the lads are dishing up.

It amazes me that the fans (including myself) have been yelling at Nigel to play a certain kind of way, and when he does, he still gets criticised.

Thats a Witch Hunt!.

This IMO, only backs up the posts of Dicky, Squit and Co. Now I would never side with them, but you make the job harder to argue against their views.

To All:

I''m not a Worthy Out now, nor am I a KTFer, I''m a City Supporter, period. Yes, I''m still very wary of Mr and Mrs Delia Smith, the board too I might add, but for now I will back them both.

Nigel Worthington and Martin Hunter have my total support (for what little thats worth) and as for the team?, well, they always had it!.

cos we won two games is probably why you like him more and hey that''s the way worthy will get judged, on the pitch and not whether you''d want to go for a pint with him.

Still lets not plan the promotion party just yet, want to see us do this stuff away as well, but a very nice start.

" I''m not a Worthy Out now, nor am I a KTFer, I''m a City Supporter,"

I''m a City Supporter. Yep, much the same as those that that refused to panic and join in the anti club attacks.

Now go away and say thirty ''Hail Delia''s'' and remember that next time the club hits a rocky patch a supporter supports.

You are forgiven.

What''s happened so far this season is hugely promising, but I do find it a coincidence that we bring in a new coach and there is a palpable and obvious change in direction. Worthy has been in charge for 5 years and as manager has presumably dictated the footballing strategy. I am a little confounded by this apparent contradiction that Worthy should set the football strategy yet after 5 years of largely long ball stuff we get a new coach who sets a new strategy. Who is running things now?

Well done to the entire team for starting so well. I am not going to change my opinion of Worthy yet because of so many issues with strange tactics, substitutions, loans, publicity etc but full credit to him so far. I sincerely hope that it is Worthy and not all down to Hunter, as a Hunter-led revival would just disguise the Worthy effect and that is not good in the long term.

If Nigel Worthington knew/knows how he wants the game played (backed up by Neil Doncaster''s comments about what Worthington was shouting from the touch-line last season) and Hunter has the knack of getting the players to play the required way, then I would call it a ''good partnership''. For all we know, one works well with the other and neither is as effective alone.

I''ll take that - rather than speculate as to who is responsible for the improvement. I don''t buy the arguement that Hunter should necessarily replace Worthington - while it''s working, let''s leave it at that!

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" I''m not a Worthy Out now, nor am I a KTFer, I''m a City Supporter,"

I''m a City Supporter. Yep, much the same as those that that refused to panic and join in the anti club attacks.

Now go away and say thirty ''Hail Delia''s'' and remember that next time the club hits a rocky patch a supporter supports.

You are forgiven.[/quote]"anti club attacks" I think thats a very extreme statement, can you back up this statement with proper reasoning. Can you name one supporter who has actually attacked the club as a whole, not indivduals within who lets be honest are really only here for one thing and do not constitute the club.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

I am a little confounded by this apparent contradiction that Worthy should set the football strategy yet after 5 years of largely long ball stuff we get a new coach who sets a new strategy.

[/quote]

Where do you get 5 years of long ball? Last season the players used the long ball, I don''t remember this happening before that.

NW has always been a advocate of passing football. Craig Fleming dealt with the so called hoofball tactics of last season in his excellent and very honest web chat.

Another poster on here has labelled this type of incorrect association as an ''internet lie'', I think it sums up the way NW been mis-quoted and mis-treated.

I said "largely" long ball and I stand by that. While Worthington has publicly stated his desire to play a pasing game, the evidence has not been there that that is our basic approach. All too frequently when there have been no direct attacking options open the players have put in a punt to a front man. That explains how Iwan became so successful, also Crouch during his loan and when Hux and Leon arrived with pace we suddenly had other outlets so the need to punt upfield was not so prevalent. Ashton spent 5 months chasing long punts upfield in the Prem, and Hux was often tasked with running after long balls down the left channel. Greeno also seemed to have one intsruction and that was to boot the ball as far away as possible.

The key is to see what happens when the move breaks down or momentum is lost. So far this season it has been obvious to all that the whole premise of our football philosophy has changed- a pause, a look around and then retain possession.  We have not seen this type of single minded determination to pass the ball around since the days of Mike Walker Mark I.

Sadly even if this was the mantra being espoused by Worthy it has not been translated into evidence on the pitch until now.

Please dont band me with the any Worthy Out Movement, yes I joined the protests last year as did lots of other people that doesnt put me into any movement. I''m a free spirit and am in a movement of my own [:D]

I want him out for 3  reasons

1) I don''t believe hes the man to take this club forward, he''s had his day

2)  He has no respect for the fans who help pay his wages and that to me isnt good enough

3) He falls out with too many players so hasn''t got the man management skills to do the job any longer

I could go on but the 101 other reasons have all been listed over the past 6 months.

FINALLY!! "I''m not a Worthy Outer, nor am i a KTFer, I''m a City Supporter, period!"This is what many of us, who were at one stage tagged "Les Reasonables," have been trying to say from day one! Welcome to our world Wizard. Take a dip, it''s much more peaceful!As for Cityangel, your die hard support is commendable and reflected in your attitude to Worthy which i''m not sure is a good thing. I know he has a way to go to turn some around but the way you are talking i don''t think you will ever allow him to bring you round. How you can say that a manager of his young age, who still has a lot to offer and is still learning, has "had his day" is beyond me.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Please dont band me with the any Worthy Out Movement, yes I joined the protests last year as did lots of other people that doesnt put me into any movement. I''m a free spirit and am in a movement of my own [:D]

2)  He has no respect for the fans who help pay his wages and that to me isnt good enough

3) He falls out with too many players so hasn''t got the man management skills to do the job any longer

I could go on but the 101 other reasons have all been listed over the past 6 months.

[/quote]

here here!

add to the fact he holds Grudg3es, if Robert Earnshaw was to disagree with Worthington Tommorow then he''d never play for us again would he... we could sign Ronaldinho and all he needs to do is sneeze without Worthys permission and he''ll be on the first train to Liverpool street.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

here here!

add to the fact he holds Grudg3es, if Robert Earnshaw was to disagree with Worthington Tommorow then he''d never play for us again would he... we could sign Ronaldinho and all he needs to do is sneeze without Worthys permission and he''ll be on the first train to Liverpool street.

[/quote]Totally agree with both the above quotes - add to that we don''t have a natural captain in the squad because Nigel can''t handle bringing in anyone with a bit of character

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="Ralph Wright"]" I''m not a Worthy Out now, nor am I a KTFer, I''m a City Supporter," I''m a City Supporter. Yep, much the same as those that that refused to panic and join in the anti club attacks. Now go away and say thirty ''Hail Delia''s'' and remember that next time the club hits a rocky patch a supporter supports. You are forgiven.[/quote]

"anti club attacks" I think thats a very extreme statement, can you back up this statement with proper reasoning. Can you name one supporter who has actually attacked the club as a whole, not indivduals within who lets be honest are really only here for one thing and do not constitute the club.
[/quote]

I tripped over in the club shop on saturday & knocked a ciple of items off the shelf while doing so. I dare say that could be classed as attacking the club to some people!

This thread of mine was never intended to be a bandwagon for posters to criticise Worthy at every opportunity, please pack it in!.

Jas: Sorry mate, but your attacks on Worthy are so biased now, its become personal with you.

This was supposed to be about ''why Worthy is slowly winning me round'', not ''why I hate Worthy'', please stay on subject!.

To 4 of the last 5 posters I would say, whilst you''re entitled to hold and express the view that the club should have a change of management, don''t forget to use a little bit of energy to enjoy the excellent football and exciting entertainment that is currently being presented to us