Posted (edited)

Mulbarton lost their play off semi final to Thetford on Saturday but in an extraordinary twist have been thrown out of the final as they played a suspended player against Mulbarton. 

Unless Thetford are successful in an appeal, Mulbarton will be playing in the final at Newmarket on Saturday 

@FenwayFrank

@The Raptor

Screenshot_20240430_123553_X.thumb.jpg.37e38ca30365a28bbc40766817608c4f.jpgScreenshot_20240430_120658_X.thumb.jpg.32a70531e1114b671c974bff03359ac4.jpg

Edited by dylanisabaddog

9 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Is it really that hard to you know, not play a player who's been suspended?

I've just edited the original post to include a statement from Thetford. 

Mulbarton made a similar mistake a couple of years ago and were thrown out of the FA Cup so I doubt they'll have much sympathy. 

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It happens quite a lot at this level. I dont know if it's because the rules are vague or people are doing club admin after being at work all day. A combination I'd say

Mulbarton really aren't equipped to go up (unless I win the euro millions tonight)

It's less local a step up. I'm not saying lose but I won't be sad if they do. 50/50 I'm off to Newmarket. Depends if I get a sky day pass or not!

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's easily done on cumulative yellows, as you can pick one up end of game for wasting a bit of time that gets recorded by the ref, but not reported back or logged within the club.  There's always some kind of a backlog, and that's where things get picked up after the event.

You'd think responsibility should fall on the officials really, as they're responsible for reporting cards and then the local FA deals with it from there.  You'd think living in the age of mobile phones, they should have everything pre-match to check squads are eligible and any issues raised up front really.

• Thanks 1

To the best of my knowledge it's entirely up to the clubs at that level. The local FA doesn't have enough staff to keep on top of it. 

Mulbarton always approach it on the principle that Jonesy is suspended unless they can prove otherwise😂

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

Mulbarton really aren't equipped to go up (unless I win the euro millions tonight)

It's less local a step up. I'm not saying lose but I won't be sad if they do. 50/50 I'm off to Newmarket. Depends if I get a sky day pass or not!

All bar 2 of the games in the division above are 100 miles ish each way and the Mulbarton players are among the lowest paid in the Ridgeons League.  Leave at 10.00am and get home at 9.00pm. It's not worth it.

They would also lose out on local visiting support (Yarmouth /Dereham /Harleston etc) which sometimes doubles the gate. I would still watch if they went up but I'd be less enthusiastic about it so I'm with you. 

The trouble with Mulbarton is that although some of the players don't want promotion they are bloody minded enough to try and win. 

I'll be going on Saturday and I'll also look after them if I win the Euro draw tonight 💙🖤

Edited by dylanisabaddog

34 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

All bar 2 of the games in the division above are 100 miles ish each way and the Mulbarton players are among the lowest paid in the Ridgeons League.  Leave at 10.00am and get home at 9.00pm. It's not worth it.

They would also lose out on local visiting support (Yarmouth /Dereham /Harleston etc) which sometimes doubles the gate. I would still watch if they went up but I'd be less enthusiastic about it so I'm with you. 

The trouble with Mulbarton is that although some of the players don't want promotion they are bloody minded enough to try and win. 

I'll be going on Saturday and I'll also look after them if I win the Euro draw tonight 💙🖤

Yeah, there are a lot of London/Essex clubs in the Isthmian north which must be really expensive for clubs travel. Wroxham hire a coach and sell any remaining seats to fans. If Mulbarton did get promoted they would have games against Wroxham and Gorleston, plus possibly a couple in Suffolk. 

Difficult isn't it ? The general view in Wroxham is that we're over performing for a village team but I've seen so many entertaining games this, and last season.

Newmarket is a decent ground if you haven't been, I seem to remember that it's 4g though, definite advantage to the home side.

28 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Yeah, there are a lot of London/Essex clubs in the Isthmian north which must be really expensive for clubs travel. Wroxham hire a coach and sell any remaining seats to fans. If Mulbarton did get promoted they would have games against Wroxham and Gorleston, plus possibly a couple in Suffolk. 

Difficult isn't it ? The general view in Wroxham is that we're over performing for a village team but I've seen so many entertaining games this, and last season.

Newmarket is a decent ground if you haven't been, I seem to remember that it's 4g though, definite advantage to the home side.

It was grass last time I went but we train at Bowthorpe so no problem. I'm sure we won a semi final on 4g at Bowthorpe not so long ago 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist it 🙄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Jim of the Fens said:

Answers on a postcard!

Just had to look it up! 🙂

From Suffolk News:

The Brecklanders started Josh Wells in their 2-0 win at the weekend, who was meant to be serving the second match of a five-game ban for misconduct that he received when playing for Newmarket Town.

The defender – who also featured in Thetford’s 6-0 victory against Heacham in their final game of the season – joined Matt Morton’s side from the Jockeys in March.

I mean, you'd imagine that a player remembers receiving a five match ban or not, it's not exactly trivial.  Perhaps they thought it didn't carry over from club to club or something?  Could get juicy if he wasn't pulled up for mis-conduct, and it's an admin error on the FA side.

Edited by Google Bot

52 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Just had to look it up! 🙂

From Suffolk News:

The Brecklanders started Josh Wells in their 2-0 win at the weekend, who was meant to be serving the second match of a five-game ban for misconduct that he received when playing for Newmarket Town.

The defender – who also featured in Thetford’s 6-0 victory against Heacham in their final game of the season – joined Matt Morton’s side from the Jockeys in March.

I mean, you'd imagine that a player remembers receiving a five match ban or not, it's not exactly trivial.  Perhaps they thought it didn't carry over from club to club or something?  Could get juicy if he wasn't pulled up for mis-conduct, and it's an admin error on the FA side.

He didn't know he was serving a 5 match ban. 

I'm off to Newmarket on Saturday 💙🖤

Hold on... this player's former club was Newmarket Town?

The same Newmarket Town Thetford were supposed to face in the final? 

And this admin error, which only Newmarket knew about, has just so happened to come to light after the game?

When they knew the identity of their opponents and the likely consequences of this error being revealed? 

Not making any accusations but this whole thing has got to raise some awkward questions surely?!

• Like 4

Dereham may yet have something to say about this. Thetford also played the illegible player in the final game of the season which would normally be a 3 point deduction. That would mean Dereham should have played Mulbarton in the semi final rather than Newmarket.

It seems to me that the only fair way of dealing with the problem is to start again with semi finals of Newmarket v Thetford and Mulbarton v Dereham. 

How on earth can Thetford and their player not know he was serving a 5 game ban? As @andyc24_ukhas said, Newmarket obviously knew about it and decided they would rather play Mulbarton than Thetford 🙄

Screenshot_20240501_052709_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2a8a006e6a6f6142141c89862d2f4645.jpg

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I didn’t play this high but at the lower levels suspensions often didn’t kick in until a few weeks after the booking/sending off, so it wasn’t always clear when you were actually banned from playing unless somebody at the club told you 

Edit: Sorry hadn’t seen the rest of the thread when I responded, it certainly looks a bit more dodgy if he had already started his suspension 

Edited by Fen Canary

17 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I didn’t play this high but at the lower levels suspensions often didn’t kick in until a few weeks after the booking/sending off, so it wasn’t always clear when you were actually banned from playing unless somebody at the club told you 

Edit: Sorry hadn’t seen the rest of the thread when I responded, it certainly looks a bit more dodgy if he had already started his suspension 

It's all very odd. The player joined Thetford from Newmarket and Newmarket obviously knew about the suspension. I assume that means that the player knew but can't be sure of that. 

It appears that Newmarket reported the facts to the FA. I'd guess they would prefer to play Mulbarton in the final rather than Thetford. That may backfire on them because if Dereham complain this could end up with the final league table being amended which would give them a semi final against Thetford. 

What a mess! 

Posted (edited)

as they say in Scooby Doo..........

And I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

Edited by Peregrine Shorts

There are complexities to this. My club fell foul of this and it actually falls down to the original club.

Player is charged at Club 1
Awaiting outcome
Player transfers to Club 2
Player is not informed of outcome of charge.

It is Club 1’s responsibility to inform the player regardless whether they hold player registration or not. In my club’s example, we were Club 2 and have subsequently been charged for playing an ineligible player in fixtures. The player was then charged and outcome was the ban was extended to cover the games they played in +1 extra. Then the league charge you for playing an ineligible player in the fixtures too, where you can lose the points etc. 

End of the day, it looks as those Newmarket failed to inform the player once they had transferred the outcome of their charge. Which is a requirement in the discipline handbook from The FA. I expect Thetford were unaware as the Club Portal gives no notification or currently lets you deep dive into a player and see their discipline history. The only way you can delve into their discipline history is if they then receive a card whilst playing for you, you can currently look on the Whole Game System and see historical discipline. The FA’s IT system has some blame here too.

On 30/04/2024 at 12:28, cambridgeshire canary said:

Slightly different but I think it was Darren Huckerby who was due to make his Newcastle debut in the league cup, however a couple of hours before the game he had to tell Keegan that he'd already played in the earlier rounds and was cup tied 

I couldn't be less interested in football at this level - I find incredible that anyone who isn't a player, or family member of a player, does. 

On 30/04/2024 at 12:28, cambridgeshire canary said:

Tbh if you're from Thetford you're probably a little simple

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I couldn't be less interested in football at this level - I find incredible that anyone who isn't a player, or family member of a player, does. 

I have the same opinion on the money grabbers (champions) league. A competition manufactured out of money, greed and self interest by a small number of clubs.

Who could possibly be interested in it except those clubs.

At least football at ridgeon league level is played for the right reasons ie love of the game, and not pure greed and self interest.

• Like 2