cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Canaries V Swans*

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Anyone who still doesn't get why Kenny won pots should probably watch something else.

What an arrogant and stupid thing to say. Dean Ashton fancied Sara. 

I thought Swansea were decent. As were Bristol last week.

We were just too wasteful. It's the same old same old. Also their defenders were better than ours - we seem to need spectacular blocks too often, most opposition teams seem to have less spectacular but better organised, less error-prone & with generally more solid defences.

Also some of our players run themselves into the ground (Sainz being a prime example). If we took our chances we wouldn't need to be playing flat out all the time.

When all's said & done though we desperately need more mobile, better quality CDs

• Like 1

A game we were desperate to win to ensure a place in the playoffs,but it will go down to the last game  of the season.
As for Wagners stance on SVH I find it somewhat bizarre.He obviously doesnt rate him high enough by the mere fact that he choose to play an obviously injured Barnes instead.Barnes' anger when he walked down the tunnel was probably directed at Wagner for making him play rather than the fact that he must have aggravated an injury.
I realise that Knapper is responsible for player recruitment and Wagner has control of pitch matters but Wagners stance on SVH must surely affect their relationship.Mind you Wagners attitude is not much better with Batth
I expect some big changes next season

6 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Barnes' anger when he walked down the tunnel was probably directed at Wagner for making him play rather than the fact that he must have aggravated an injury.

You cannot possibly know that, absolutely embarrassing nonsense.

• Like 2

So Barnes is crocked and Sainz signalled to come off after a heavy challenge.

I guess Wagner was trying to prove a point to Knapper by giving SVH 40 secs even though Barnes clearly wasn't fit.

Bristol and Swansea have made us look pretty ordinary, but we're in the play-offs. Just hope we have enough in the tank to see it through.

I'd suggest Barnes' anger was more at the big guy in the sky for an injury that looks to keep him out of a playoff campaign. He's a natural competitor.

And as much as I'm softer on SvH than most, today was not the game for him. Our danger was in speed, and I think would have won the game via Rowe if his WiFi was up to pace already.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian said:

You cannot possibly know that, absolutely embarrassing nonsense.

It was a slightly tongue in cheek statement.BUT
Until the facts are known.Wagner chose to have a unfit/injured player on the bench having had Aboh(?) on the bench for a few games and bearing in mind that the team having missed out on automatic promotion have been working their socks off to get into the playoffs and hopefully a chance to play at Wembley and achieve their goal.To potentially have that taken away from you by a managers seemingly poor team selection and obstinate stance with regard to playing SVH I would imagine that someone with the aggressive competitive nature that Barnes has would  be slightly miffed.I think I would.

Just been watching the replay and the penalty looks touch and go to me - I have only seen it from one angle but hard to see if Gunn actually made contact and clearly the guy dived - anyone seen some other angles or slow motions? 

1 hour ago, Grumpy said:

It was a slightly tongue in cheek statement.BUT
Until the facts are known.Wagner chose to have a unfit/injured player on the bench having had Aboh(?) on the bench for a few games and bearing in mind that the team having missed out on automatic promotion have been working their socks off to get into the playoffs and hopefully a chance to play at Wembley and achieve their goal.To potentially have that taken away from you by a managers seemingly poor team selection and obstinate stance with regard to playing SVH I would imagine that someone with the aggressive competitive nature that Barnes has would  be slightly miffed.I think I would.

I doubt it's that black and white, it could be that Barnes was deemed fine to play 20-30 mins if necessary, big difference between that and starting ie playing 60-90 mins.

I expect he is desperate to play every minute of every game but at the same time he is an experienced professional who knows his body, if he wasn't fit to he on the bench he wouldn't have been.

55 minutes ago, Helsinki canary said:

Just been watching the replay and the penalty looks touch and go to me - I have only seen it from one angle but hard to see if Gunn actually made contact and clearly the guy dived - anyone seen some other angles or slow motions? 

I’ve not seen any replays except the one you mention, but watching it live from block O of the South stand yesterday it looked a nailed on penalty. No complaints from Gunn either. Where Swansea did get annoyingly lucky was the deflection taking it right into the path of their guy 10 yards out in the first place. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s easy to be critical of Wagner and his use of players, but I think the guy has a brief ( get us promoted at all costs) and that is what he is doing.

He is not going to blood the younger players over more seasoned ones, and he’s not going to give players who have shown very little in their brief cameos, a massive chunk of playing time to prove him wrong. It really is do or die and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. My biggest worry is that we do look very leggy. 

Edited by astro
  • Thanks 1

Barnes spent a large portion of the second half pedalling away on an exercise bike in the tunnel area, there was obviously a major doubt over his fitness

1 hour ago, Helsinki canary said:

I was in RL Lower Regent. It was a pen as was called by all around. It was a bit of a soft tackle and he went to ground easily but wouldn`t we do the same at the other end given a chance?

I must give some credit to the gounds team at Carrow. They have produce a playing surface so soft and fluffly that the Swans didn`t want to get up from when they went down 🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Same thing as Barnes. Looked confused when he came on and then went off injured straight down the tunnel clearly angry and upset.

it was a very odd substitution.  Put Barnes on and ask him to do the one thong he is physically incapable of doing.  Aggressively pressing high up the pitch against a team comfortable in possession.  

You often hear people say "he didnt touch the ball" in reference to a player not having much impact in a game.

Ashley Barnes in 15 mins in a game we are striving to win touched the ball ZERO times....Mildy interesting aside  - has another manager ever introduced 2 substitutes neither of which touched the ball (Barnes and SVH)

image.thumb.png.8a479ee17fb11c53611a343e01ff548b.png

3 minutes ago, Peregrine Shorts said:

Barnes spent a large portion of the second half pedalling away on an exercise bike in the tunnel area, there was obviously a major doubt over his fitness

I`m unsure why he came on? He had an achilles problem and now has a calf strain. I`m guessing he was a bit miffed at being risked.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2024 at 12:33, astro said:

It’s easy to be critical of Wagner and his use of players, but I think the guy has a brief ( get us promoted at all costs) and that is what he is doing.

He is not going to blood the younger players over more seasoned ones, and he’s not going to give players who have shown very little in their brief cameos, a massive chunk of playing time to prove him wrong. It really is do or die and it will be interesting to see how it plays out. My biggest worry is that we do look very leggy. 

This - 

It was all about getting into the playoffs - 'resting' players and losing would of been a huge error.

Sometimes you even have to risk your best weapons. In card terms we were 'all in'.

I really hope Barnes mends quickly. An underrated by some hard working hero.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2024 at 12:33, astro said:

My biggest worry is that we do look very leggy. 

We're not the only ones. In fact, we're the only team in the current play-off zone to have won in our last three games. Seems like everyone's limping to the end of the season

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 09.51.14.png

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We're not the only ones. In fact, we're the only team in the current play-off zone to have won in our last three games. Seems like everyone's limping to the end of the season

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 09.51.14.png

It could be that the team who can freshen up their first 11 the most, will win the playoffs. This is where we may struggle, and Leeds/Southampton don’t.