JonnyJonnyRowe

Most over rated Norwich players that you can remember?

1) RvW screams the obvious choice given the amount of money we spent on him at the time and how much pie faced PR went out when signing him.

2) Steven Naismith. Honestly the worst signing we've ever made given the money we paid.

3) Billy Gilmour. Was not the answer.

• Like 1

These threads are a fun reminder that nobody understands what 'overrrated' means.

It isn't the same as bad. Naismith, RVW etc aren't overrated because we all thought they were **** while they were here.

• Like 3

Paul Dalglish. A striker who never scored more than 5 goals in a season. Average 2.2 a season. 

I had such huge hopes for him when he joined... I overrated him ! 

On 26/04/2024 at 13:53, NWC said:

(Tin Hat Time) - Marco Stiepermann.

Part of the German revolution under Farke ("All the Germans"), slow, poor touch, lightweight for a big guy, couldn't header for a big guy, could see a pass Yes, but by the time he had seen it, he had already been tackled and lost the ball.

Only got in the team because he was mates with Pukki (I possibly made that bit up!)

Disagree on that one, Stiepermann was excellent at picking risky passes up and wasn't bad at holding the ball up just by dribbling around a bit so we could get up the pitch at pace. Agree that he was absolutely naff in the air for a guy of his height though. He's a less aggressive version of Barnes, but is a similar sort of link-up player. If he's not hitting assists, he's hitting balls that help creative players get assists.

Not to forget, he was the only one in that team who was a relatively consistent threat when shooting from just outside the box when we'd sometimes be prone to trying to walk them in. What was irritating was that he was possibly the most one-footed player I've seen and half the time it consisted of him trying to jink it onto his left....

On 27/04/2024 at 12:15, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

So what about all the situations that Skipp snuffed out before they became 'chances' and therefore a stat on your sacred Xg charts??

Did you wafch any games that season?, Skipp carried McLean through that season he even made Rupp look a good player alongside him.

He was comfortably the best defensive mudfuelder in the league to the extent that fans and Webber wanted him back the following season but Spurs needed him

Doesnt sound 'over rated'

We got 90 pts + that season in no small part because we had a midfielder like him in the side.

This season, without one, we're 20 pts off the top ...if we had one in our midfield all season instead of McLean we'd be a damn sight closer point wise to bl0ody Ipswich..

To be fair, if we didn't have Sargent out for four months, we'd also be a damn site closer to that lot.

Would probably say Thomas Helveg for overrated, I think it was clear that he was well past his best by the time he came here.

Johnny Rowe 

HEAR ME OUT!!

Played as an individual when we had no team cohesion or direction so was able to shine, will struggle to be a part of a TEAM not built around him especially with Sara & Sainz finding their feet. 

Cash in at the £15 - £20m mark in the summer so we can keep hold of the aforementioned duo along with Sarg and even Gunny who are integral to whatever goes on next year. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, king canary said:

These threads are a fun reminder that nobody understands what 'overrrated' means.

It isn't the same as bad. Naismith, RVW etc aren't overrated because we all thought they were **** while they were here.

Not directly true, all three in my post were highly rated before coming here and being absolutely dog shyt when they were here. That is the definition of overrated is it not? 

overrated

adjective

rated or valued too highly.

"an overrated player"

I always thought Neil Adams was overrated 

I remember being underwhelmed when we signed him from Oldham and not changing my opinion after seeing him play for years. 

He never seemed to beat anyone or do anything skillful 

He's become a bit of a "club legend" figure now - just by being around the place for so long, but I still can't forgive him for being a bit crap when he played

Howson for me. Steady performer, a regular 6 out of 10 and consistent but was spoken about as if he was God's gift to football.  Somehow turned into a stevie g / pirlo / iniesta all rolled into one but was just a slightly above average midfielder

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chichcan said:

I always thought Neil Adams was overrated 

I remember being underwhelmed when we signed him from Oldham and not changing my opinion after seeing him play for years. 

He never seemed to beat anyone or do anything skillful 

He's become a bit of a "club legend" figure now - just by being around the place for so long, but I still can't forgive him for being a bit crap when he played

Apart from his penalties.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Three stick out for me instantly.

David Bentley - He lived off that one apperance for Arsenal in their Invincibles season his whole career! Very underwhelming in his tenure at Norwich. Hard to believe this guy played for England.

Simon Lappin - Interesting to note that he never played much first-team football for any other English club. How on earth he played over 100 games in six seasons for us is a mystery, hard to understand how he is a fan's favourite. Now an annoying mouthpiece on Radio Norfolk.

Daniel Pacheco - a sucessful loan spell with us despite only playing a handful of matches, he meant to be a future talent at Liverpool, yet his career never went anywhere, he quickly disappeared into the minnows of the Spanish lower leagues.

Honourable mentions to:

Matius Normann (textbook definition of a mercenary, epitomised by the fact that he now plays in Saudi Arabia. Also seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder about his time at Norwich and always dissents the club),

Sebastian Bassong (went missing after Hughton gave him a new contract as a result of winning POTS. Neil Adams soon saw through this and shipped him out on loan to Watford),

Johan Elmander (This guy's career was dragged up by his International performances alongside Ibrahimovic. Very underwhelming for us, never really did anything for other clubs either).

Edited by TheRock

19 hours ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Johnny Rowe 

HEAR ME OUT!!

Played as an individual when we had no team cohesion or direction so was able to shine, will struggle to be a part of a TEAM not built around him especially with Sara & Sainz finding their feet. 

Cash in at the £15 - £20m mark in the summer so we can keep hold of the aforementioned duo along with Sarg and even Gunny who are integral to whatever goes on next year. 

Agree with the first part of this.  Probably agree with the second as well.  

Which is not to say that he isn't / won't be a good player, but aside from his goals (yes, I know ...) his overall play isn't that great, and he evidently can't last 90 minutes.  He has had an excellent break out season, without his goal scoring we'd be mid-table at best, and there is the small matter of a couple of away goals against some team or other but a lot of that inflates his reputation with us rather than necessarily indicating a career to be spent in the Champions League.

As @Nexus_Canary suggests, I'm not sure that he fits in to our best XI in terms of the most cohesive team.

Lots of potential - and my opinion isn't intended to denigrate - but I do feel he is a bit overrated by Norwich fans at the moment.  If anybody offers anything like the money that has been bandied about on this board I'd be both surprised and tempted - we have a number of players more crucial to any future success IMO.

My personal nomination would be Hanley.  Originally signed as something of a panic buy /stopgap he was 3rd choice for a fair bit of his early time here, yet somehow subsequently found himself a virtually automatic pick for a while and even captain.

As a spectator he appears to me to be a remarkably non-inspirational captain who doesn't seem to organise / communicate to the team (especially evident when he has a youngster playing alongside him) or rally them in a crisis.  He makes the odd eye-catching last ditch tackle - largely because he is so often out of position - and despite his "legendary" pace, opposition players seem to ghost past with relative ease.  For a big, physical centre back he doesn't win as much in the air in our box as you'd hope and in the opposition box on the rare occasions he does win anything he apparently has a head shaped like a 50p piece.

In possession he is a liability, either being caught in possession, giving the ball away or more often being so pedestrian that he slows everything down and ends up dropping team mates in it by taking an age to play a short pass and allowing the opposition press to catch them.  Yet people were still wanting him back in ASAP earlier in the season.  That horrible injury is not how I would wish any long-serving player to effectively finish here, but we desperately need a more mobile ballplaying upgrade (so not Duffy or Batth ...) and Kenny makes a far better captain, at least to an outside observer.

Mathias Normann was another - did some basics right early season and was suddenly viewed as pivotal (although that season was so grim that anybody showing anything was likely to be over-lauded.)  

Difficult to go much further back as you tend to forget who was rated but then proved themselves over-rated and unworthy later or with hindsight.  Maybe Leroy Fer ?  Darren Kenton perhaps given his post-City career (perhaps unfair due to his injuries and the leaving on a free sour grapes ...)

I suppose it depends on what you value in players - I like a modicum of tactical intelligence and often passing to members of your own team, whereas others like full-blooded tackles and / or the occasional 40 yard Thunderb*stard.  The Fox versus Goss debate you might call it ...

• Like 1

On 26/04/2024 at 11:03, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

This will be a bit of a contentious one, as we can't just name the many terrible players that we've had over the years as they wouldn't then be highly rated, but players who many thought were good but you just couldn't see it.

My vote goes to Moritz Leitner, might be a tad harsh because he featured a lot in our first Farke promotion season and so some gratitude is owed to all who featured heavily in that, but I never really got the love in, hundreds of very short passes, in fairness he was always willing to receive the ball in midfield and always made himself available for the pass, but I think he was a bit of a one trick pony and that was all he really had to his game. Seldom played threatening or inventive balls forward, almost always went for the obvious or easy option, and seldom brought goals or assists to the table, couldn't tackle either. Did wonders for our possession stats mind.

Plus would roll his shorts right up and make a huge deal about a 5 yard pass like he was the German Paul Scholes. Seems to have been sussed out and ditched quickly at every club he's been at. 

Really? I think he’s probably one of most underrated although as you have stated questionable attitude. 

most overrated - any of the sub standard players to come out of our academy who will be given more time than others 

or Onel Hernandez 

Russell Martin. The NFN's loved him cos he 'bled yellow and green'. But he was the epitome of captain calamity. Made an absolute howler and cost us points every other week alongside his partner in crime Bassong.

No surprise to see Southampton are diabolical defensively.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

On 26/04/2024 at 14:50, Nuff Said said:

Wow. This one will never die. What’s coming next, why don’t we play Becchio?

Just a reasonable observation that's all.      Well you've never been the cleverest poster on here but you were pretty harmless once upon a time.    Now you've just come across as a sad keyboard warrior.   Chill out.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Just a reasonable observation that's all.      Well you've never been the cleverest poster on here but you were pretty harmless once upon a time.    Now you've just come across as a sad keyboard warrior.   Chill out.

I was referencing the fact that over four years ago the “Godfrey would be better as a CDM” debate was a bit of a holy war on here and consumed pages and pages of this board. That makes me a keyboard warrior? I didn’t even take a side in the argument. 

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Drazen Muzinic, Martin Chivers, Jason Jarrett, Matty Jackson, Matthias Normann, Keith O'Neill, Garry Brooke, the boy Theoklitos.

Edited by Big Vince

On 30/04/2024 at 12:47, Keith Scott said:

Russell Martin. The NFN's loved him cos he 'bled yellow and green'. But he was the epitome of captain calamity. Made an absolute howler and cost us points every other week alongside his partner in crime Bassong.

No surprise to see Southampton are diabolical defensively.

All the best.

Big Keith Scott.

Agreed.