Sign in to follow this  
FenwayFrank

Happy St George's day

How about 'Glorious Revolution Day' - sometime in November/December.

You know the last time we had a coup and/or where successfully invaded / taken over - deposingĀ a king? 1688/9

No it wasn't 1066...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'm sure Herodotus and the Persians would have some fun with this. šŸ˜‰

Famous for getting on the beers before going to the ballot were they? Persia was famous for its wines so maybe (perhaps not as famous for having actually ballots though)

13 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Famous for getting on the beers before going to the ballot were they? Persia was famous for its wines so maybe (perhaps not as famous for having actually ballots though)

Herodotus famously wrote that the Persians would discuss weighty matters twice, initially when soused and usually under the influence of wine, then sober the next day. If they still were in agreement after being sober, they'd go ahead.

There's not much evidence to say this is really the case, but it's a jolly amusing story if nothing else.

St George replaced St Edmund as Englandā€™s patron saint in 1348. Edmund was martyred on 20 November so this would be a suitable day for a Bank Holiday. HoweverĀ he appears to have come from Suffolk and is buried in Bury St Edmunds so presumably anyone from Norfolk would have to boycott the holiday. (Iā€™m getting a strong sense of dĆ©jĆ  vu so Iā€™m not sure if I haveĀ mentioned this before).

50 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

How about 'Glorious Revolution Day' - sometime in November/December.

You know the last time we had a coup and/or where successfully invaded / taken over - deposingĀ a king? 1688/9

No it wasn't 1066...

We could celebrate the day Piers Morgan stormed off set. That would unite the nation.Ā 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Herman said:

We could celebrate the day Piers Morgan stormed off set. That would unite the nation.Ā 

Perhaps they'll be a day this October or November that will unite the nation too....

Edited by Yellow Fever

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

St George replaced St Edmund as Englandā€™s patron saint in 1348. Edmund was martyred on 20 November so this would be a suitable day for a Bank Holiday. HoweverĀ he appears to have come from Suffolk and is buried in Bury St Edmunds so presumably anyone from Norfolk would have to boycott the holiday. (Iā€™m getting a strong sense of dĆ©jĆ  vu so Iā€™m not sure if I haveĀ mentioned this before).

Yes. It shows St. George isn't or wasn't set in stone.

Much cooler...

Ā 

whitedragonflag.jpg

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

A delicious irony in that what is now marketed as the main drink for Irelands day was created by Arthur Guinness,Ā a staunch unionist and ProtestantĀ 

Irish Republicanism is non-sectarian. Wolfe Tone, the most iconic of all republicans (still celebrated every year in the movement), was a protestant.

I see the patriots are having a jolly old time in London. Good on them. šŸ™„šŸ˜¬

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Herodotus famously wrote that the Persians would discuss weighty matters twice, initially when soused and usually under the influence of wine, then sober the next day. If they still were in agreement after being sober, they'd go ahead.

There's not much evidence to say this is really the case, but it's a jolly amusing story if nothing else.

InterestingĀ  I've not heard that before and I heartily approve.Ā  My mate guy used to day thatĀ he could never trust anyone he hasn't got drunk with.Ā  Maybe wannabe MPs can get us all drunk two days before an election, that way we can satisfy both guy and heroditus?

Edited by Barbe bleu

Just now, Barbe bleu said:

InterestingĀ  I've not heard that before and I heartily approve.Ā  My mate guy used to-day thet he could never trust anyone he hasn't got drunk with.Ā  Maybe wannabe MPs can get us all drunk two days before an election, that way we can satisfy both guy and heroditus.

Never been drunk in my life. Wouldn't be hard to get me drunk though as I pretty much am teetotal. But it might not be the best thing they could do asĀ my mouth's a loose enough cannon when sober.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Herman said:

I see the patriots are having a jolly old time in London. Good on them. šŸ™„šŸ˜¬

I understand your prejudice, for I used to share it.Ā  Thank goodness I've found a friend who has opened my eyes.

Try watching 45 minutes of uncut YouTube footage by Shady Shae (Nigerian Londoner) showing what's really happening at this event.Ā  Instead of clickbait headlines by all the mainstream media, even the Daily Mail.Ā 

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Herman said:

All they had to do was shout that they supported Hamas and the police would have left them alone!

Ā 

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I don't suppose you have a link to give an idea what you're talking about?

I see the Stone Age massive are celebrating their St Gammonā€™s day.Ā 

8 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't suppose you have a link to give an idea what you're talking about?

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

I see the Stone Age massive are celebrating their St Gammonā€™s day.Ā 

Makes a change from the death to Jews brigade at least.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

I understand your prejudice, for I used to share it.Ā  Thank goodness I've found a friend who has opened my eyes.

Try watching 45 minutes of uncut YouTube footage by Shady Shae (Nigerian Londoner) showing what's really happening at this event.Ā  Instead of clickbait headlines by all the mainstream media, even the Daily Mail.Ā 

I found the footage you're talking about. Thanks for that.

I mean you talk about peaceful protest, but these folks are barely even making much noise. You've people there in wheelchairs for crying out loud. You can actually hear people on megaphones encouraging people to be as peaceful as possible.

How on Earth have we got policing more tolerant to people inciting war in the Middle East and hatred than people bringing out the national flag on the day of the nation's patron saint?

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Makes a change from the death to Jews brigade at least.

Interesting how the police are happy to rush in on horses with batons swining at a Saint Geroges day parade and yet you get people marching down the streets every day dressing as members of Hamas and chanting pro genocide slogans and the police just stare at the floor and do nothing isnt it?

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I've no issue with a national holiday for England, but would strongly recommend finding an alternative date to April 23rd, as others have suggestedĀ 

I like a public holiday as much as the next directly employed person, but just take a look at this shĆÆtshow coming up between mid April and mid June next year whereĀ  I live. Also bear in mind that peopleĀ  are now starting to take the Friday off after the holiday on the ThursdayĀ 466133713_Screenshot_20240423-182913_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6925ce51c4e4c40319879d11f339e925.jpg

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting how the police are happy to rush in on horses with batons swining at a Saint Geroges day parade and yet you get people marching down the streets every day dressing as members of Hamas and chanting pro genocide slogans and the police just stare at the floor and do nothing isnt it?

If any of that was real you may have made a really interesting point.

Posted (edited)

How many actually care much about St George's day, let alone care about yhe history?

My guess would be not many. The only place I have had any discussion about it, is on here.Ā 

As for the protesters, from what I've read, they defied police requests to stay away from a particular route and a few got uppity about it, other than that,Ā not much to see there.Ā 

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Ā 

I'd rather a new bank holiday late October - Trafalgar day ?

Do what I do, give yourself a Bank Holiday whenever you want one.Ā 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Herman said:

If any of that was real you may have made a really interesting point.

Here's your 'peaceful' pro-Palestinian protesters getting in the face of police and firing fireworks at people at the 'peaceful' event.

I wonder why police don't put up tweets prior to those 'peaceful' pro-Palestinian events warning that they believe people will be among the crowd threatening death to Jews and carrying signs promoting support for genocide against a recognised state?

How is people carrying the national flag on the national saint's day worse in your universe?

Ā 

Posted (edited)

Ā 

18 minutes ago, Herman said:

Andy Ngo?? Really?? šŸ˜‚

My God, is that your immediate tactic to everything that doesn't suit you? Deflect from video footage of trouble by pointing at who posted it? Just pretend it didn't happen? 'Fake news'?

Here you go: Sky news reporting fireworks fired at people during pro-Palestinian protests.

https://news.sky.com/story/four-police-officers-injured-after-pro-palestinian-protesters-fire-fireworks-into-crowd-13000924

It's notable though that the Guardian didn't mention it at all, underlining its shortcomings as a news outlet.

Again and again, you dismiss stuff by discrediting the source, and again and again you're shown to be wrong. Stop embarrassing yourself with a cheap tactic.

• Like 1

Do some research on the fellow before sharing his nonsense in future please. Thanks. šŸ‘

I was a bit worried when I first heardĀ about this parade.Ā 

But then I saw a few people had theĀ word 'England' written on the cross of St George and someĀ others were shouting Ā 'In-ger-land'Ā  in thick Cockley accents. These two things were sufficient to create a safe space in which I could express my snobbery and class prejudice, which of course I delighted in.

• Like 1