Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Forest have had enough

Anyone remember the goal that wasn’t given for Sheffield against Villa that meant Villa stayed up ( and look where they are now ). I seem to remember they weren’t allowed to take legal action, but I really can’t remember why, wasn’t it something to do with the VAR contracts ?

It’s old phrase but in my opinion Forest are bringing the game into disrepute.

Would be delicious if the Premier League penalise them in the form of another points deduction which ends up relegating them.

• Like 3

Just saw Vestergaard at Leicester respond to having an obvious foul given against him by screaming 'I GOT THE ****ING BALL' in the referees face.

People talk about the referees needing to earn players respect - what do the players do to earn the referees respect?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just saw Vestergaard at Leicester respond to having an obvious foul given against him by screaming 'I GOT THE ****ING BALL' in the referees face.

People talk about the referees needing to earn players respect - what do the players do to earn the referees respect?

It would help if referees consistently booked players for it. 

Not just sometimes, but every time.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It would help if referees consistently booked players for it. 

Not just sometimes, but every time.

I have a lot of sympathy with refs but the power is with them. Consistency is the key.

Sainz gets a second yellow for waving an imaginary card after being cleaned out (the tackle goes unpunished) and Vestergaard gets nothing for screaming abuse in the refs face.

5 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

I have a lot of sympathy with refs but the power is with them. Consistency is the key.

Sainz gets a second yellow for waving an imaginary card after being cleaned out (the tackle goes unpunished) and Vestergaard gets nothing for screaming abuse in the refs face.

Yeah, I always thought the way they've stringently clamped down on waving 'air-cards', but not the aggressive abuse, is weird.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

If Forest take legal action I'd hope they get nailed. They pretty much brought the game into disrepute without providing a shred of evidence. It would set a dreadful precedent not just across football, but indeed sport in general if it were to go to court where clubs with even a justified grievance would kick off over any egregious refereeing error.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

Yeah, I always thought the way they've stringently clamped down on waving 'air-cards', but not the aggressive abuse, is weird.

It's because until you get a chance to watch back in a replay it is difficult to lip read what is said, but the action of "waving an imaginary yellow card" is visible immediately. However, if the ref was miked up on the other hand as in rugby. Also, the restriction of discussion with the ref whilst the game is in play was supposed to be restricted to the captain only. They did enforce this at the beginning of the season, but it seems to have been forgotten by everyone as we hit the crunch part of the season.

Edited by shefcanary
  • Like 1

VAR has already brought the game into disrepute and any club who tries to challenge it gets my support (even if they're going about it in a wonky way).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, king canary said:

Well. The referees could start by taking a bit of control. Book the player. Then book the goalkeeper for time-wasting on 60 minutes instead of 89 minutes. It goes on and on. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Well. The referees could start by taking a bit of control. Book the player. Then book the goalkeeper for time-wasting on 60 minutes instead of 89 minutes. It goes on and on. 

On this subject I was very surprised at the weekend to learn the rule that a keeper can be booked twice a penalty shoot-out for Krulhousery without being sent off. Encapsulates the complete lack of control that referees really have over player behaviour.

On your specific point I assume they've been told not to rock the boat too much, but agree completely that bookings for dissent should be enforced on a zero-tolerance basis. You'd have some fun 9 vs 9 games early on in the season that you brought it in, then the players would just stop doing it.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Yes but why is the onus seemingly entirely on them? Why is it not on the managers to keep their players in line or on the players to just show a basic modicum of restraint? 

It is crazy to me that the first person you want to blame for the behaviour is the person being abused rather than the people hurling the abuse

33 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes but why is the onus seemingly entirely on them? Why is it not on the managers to keep their players in line or on the players to just show a basic modicum of restraint? 

It is crazy to me that the first person you want to blame for the behaviour is the person being abused rather than the people hurling the abuse

Because the managers have their own contract, their players contract, the money involved, everything else. So to expect them to sort this is naive. The referee's have one job, and should have no additional / alternate motive. 

So just book them? How hard is that? You chose to be a ref. You get paid for being a ref. So be a ref. The ref has on-field control to book them for dissent but then doesn't? It's a circle and the ref's have the easiest route to stopping it but choose not to. Whether that's the PGMOL or individual refs decision I don't know

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Because the managers have their own contract, their players contract, the money involved, everything else. So to expect them to sort this is naive. The referee's have one job, and should have no additional / alternate motive. 

So just book them? How hard is that? You chose to be a ref. You get paid for being a ref. So be a ref. The ref has on-field control to book them for dissent but then doesn't? It's a circle and the ref's have the easiest route to stopping it but choose not to. Whether that's the PGMOL or individual refs decision I don't know

This. And get rid of VAR entirely. 

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'd argue that the players who actively harangue the refs have the easiest route, personally. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone who has played football at any level must recognise that sometimes you get carried away in the heat of the moment, passion of the game etc etc. It's possible you might say and do some things which are usually out of character. The ref is there to control the match and apply the laws i.e. use yellow and red cards when appropriate in his judgement. If a ref's "judgement" is that being sworn at does not warrant a yellow card, then he or she can't really complain when it keeps happening.

This isn't limited to the professional game - it's a problem at all levels.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd argue that the players who actively harangue the refs have the easiest route, personally. 

Exactly! The expectations for players to control their own behaviour are seemingly lower than the expectations I have for my two year old. It's maddening. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sgncfc said:

Anyone who has played football at any level must recognise that sometimes you get carried away in the heat of the moment, passion of the game etc etc. It's possible you might say and do some things which are usually out of character. The ref is there to control the match and apply the laws i.e. use yellow and red cards when appropriate in his judgement. If a ref's "judgement" is that being sworn at does not warrant a yellow card, then he or she can't really complain when it keeps happening.

This isn't limited to the professional game - it's a problem at all levels.

But why is it only football where this 'passion' exists? You don't see this in rugby, cricket, golf, very rarely in tennis, even in the NFL or MLB.

4 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

They pretty much brought the game into disrepute without providing a shred of evidence.

Evidence for what exactly, Did you read the full statement? 

image.thumb.png.d0d787593a4b20e4ec6d54d5ff721512.png

Chelsea have had enough of it now to, unbelievable VAR decision against Villa. Poch now declaring it’s time for VAR to go.

VAR is just overt corruption. 
The Premier League is a festering boil of corruption that is in desperate need of a lancing!