Just viewed Grants video interview regarding his struggle with his injury. He sounded a bit defeated, with the injury issue. I fear  he may have to retire. Just a thought. 

It’s high time we stopped thinking that aging, injury and error prone players like Hanley, Duffy or Gibson are a solution. We get one decent game out of them in ten (thankfully against the scum however) - but we need rid of the lot of them. There’s nothing to fear about Hanley retiring. It would be welcome, frankly. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, S_81 said:

It’s high time we stopped thinking that aging, injury and error prone players like Hanley, Duffy or Gibson are a solution. We get one decent game out of them in ten (thankfully against the scum however) - but we need rid of the lot of them. There’s nothing to fear about Hanley retiring. It would be welcome, frankly. 

He's been a committed servant to the club and always given 100%.  His mistakes are never intentional and dwarfed by the countless blocks, tackles and tactical stumbles.  I hope that he has many games left in him, whether that be at Norwich or somewhere else. 

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, River End Rocker said:

He's been a committed servant to the club and always given 100%.  His mistakes are never intentional and dwarfed by the countless blocks, tackles and tactical stumbles.  I hope that he has many games left in him, whether that be at Norwich or somewhere else. 

This.

I would go so far as to call the post above this one as shameful. Hanley has been a top-level championship defender and if he’d been playing more this season I’m confident we would have been at least above WBA. Both goals Sheffield Wednesday scored this week are the sort of situation he excelled at, rising above everyone else to head the ball away.

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This.

I would go so far as to call the post above this one as shameful. Hanley has been a top-level championship defender and if he’d been playing more this season I’m confident we would have been at least above WBA. Both goals Sheffield Wednesday scored this week are the sort of situation he excelled at, rising above everyone else to head the ball away.

Nothing shameful about it. In my opinion he’s been an average championship defender. I’m not questioning his commitment or professionalism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

This.

Whilst S_81 my have been a bit 'OTT' in his remarks, I can't believe the blinkered view you and those who liked your post have of said defender. The notion that he would have prevented the Wednesday goals is a joke. For proof, I recommend you watch the tape of the Blackburn away game and examine the two instances where Hanley barely gets off the grass when aerial crosses come in. That is the reality I'm afraid. If a center half can't get off the deck to compete for that type of ball into the box then he should not be playing professional football.  

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Whilst S_81 my have been a bit 'OTT' in his remarks, I can't believe the blinkered view you and those who liked your post have of said defender. The notion that he would have prevented the Wednesday goals is a joke. For proof, I recommend you watch the tape of the Blackburn away game and examine the two instances where Hanley barely gets off the grass when aerial crosses come in. That is the reality I'm afraid. If a center half can't get off the deck to compete for that type of ball into the box then he should not be playing professional football.  

Frankly, troll or binner.?

Posted (edited)

A peak Hanley was fast over the ground and formidable in the air. He was prone to the odd lapse in concentration and was at best only a passing acquaintance with the niceties of keeping the ball down/moving, but at his physical peak was a proper old-school defender who could be relied upon to put his head in where it hurts. And if he had better concentration and was a bit better with the ball at his feet, there's no way he'd have been with us.

This year's Hanley reminds me of Klose's final days here - you can see the wheels turning, but the body's not quite letting him do it. But he served us very well.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, S_81 said:

A pretty poor post with lack of consideration for Hanleys efforts.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, S_81 said:

Was this post really necessary? The OP wasn't claiming Hanley is the Scottish Bobby Moore and the answer to our prayers, he was simply expressing some sympathy towards a player who is down on his luck - Hanley has been a decent servant and been a very useful player for us for periods, nobody is suggesting we build him a statue, but a little bit of respect being shown to a player who was injured while wearing the yellow and green wouldn't go amiss. It might be better if you go and support the regional club for wan kers and morons down the road?

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 2

I'll admit I don't like the Hanley / Gibbo combo but that's irrelevant.

I haven't watched the video yet but it's not nice for a player's career or aspirations to be finished or constrained by injury. Hopefully he has the chance to make another go of it, but achilles is a highly inconvenient injury for a CB as it can restrict jumping.

Hanley at his best is an excellent CB - deceptively quick and reads the game very well. Let's also not forget that awesome assist for Klose's equaliser against you know who.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

It really would help if you read the post you are replying to properly. The poster was saying that Hanley - when he was fully fit!!!! - would have prevented the Wednesday goals.

I think the time it took him to recover from the Achilles injury was quick very quick given it’s one of the most serious injuries an athlete can have. Probably due to him having an eye on the Euros.

I sense that the club have now realised that taken a step back and will build him up for Pre Season. If he can get back to 80% of his level he still an excellent asset in the championship 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Was this post really necessary? The OP wasn't claiming Hanley is the Scottish Bobby Moore and the answer to our prayers, he was simply expressing some sympathy towards a player who is down on his luck - Hanley has been a decent servant and been a very useful player for us for periods, nobody is suggesting we build him a statue, but a little bit of respect being shown to a player who was injured while wearing the yellow and green wouldn't go amiss. It might be better if you go and support the regional club for wan kers and morons down the road?

I’m entitled to my opinion. As you are yours. My opinion is that thinking players like Hanley are the kind of starters we need, is to expect lower than I personally want to. Committed, yes. Professional, yes. Error prone, yes. And certainly made to look better by our other poor options back there. 

Edited by S_81

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I’m entitled to my opinion. As you are yours. My opinion is that thinking players like Hanley are the kind of starters we need, frankly at any point in his career with us, is to expect lower than I personally want to. I’d argue his best days were long over when he joined us. Committed, yes. Professional, yes. Error prone, yes. 

Boy if players like Grant Hanley at any point in his career with us are not the players we need then I would assume you must find supporting Norwich a very difficult proposition. I’d struggle to name 5 Norwich centre backs who were a significant upgrade on peak Hanley.

Edited by Ulfotto
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Boy if players like Grant Hanley at any point in his career with us are not the players we need then I would assume you must find supporting Norwich a very difficult proposition. I’d struggle to name 5 Norwich centre backs who were a significant upgrade on peak Hanley.

I edited what I wrote as it was unfair re early Hanley, you’re right. But I still think he’s been on the slide for a while. And should be a bench player nowadays. Albeit not a bench player to the likes of Duffy and Gibson - who are worse. 

6 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

And yes - I do find our centre back signings a difficult proposition to watch. We don’t have a great history to be honest. 

35 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I’m entitled to my opinion. As you are yours. My opinion is that thinking players like Hanley are the kind of starters we need, is to expect lower than I personally want to. Committed, yes. Professional, yes. Error prone, yes. And certainly made to look better by our other poor options back there. 

And where does the OP say anything about Hanley being the kind of starter we need? He was expressing sympathy to Hanley sounding down and potentially having to retire early from football. Show some compassion and empathy!

15 hours ago, slaphead said:

Just viewed Grants video interview regarding his struggle with his injury. He sounded a bit defeated, with the injury issue. I fear  he may have to retire. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

And where does the OP say anything about Hanley being the kind of starter we need? He was expressing sympathy to Hanley sounding down and potentially having to retire early from football. Show some compassion and empathy!

Fair point 

6 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Frankly, troll or binner.?

I can only assume you had not watched that Blackburn game highlights before posting this very intellectual reply?

5 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

It really would help if you read the post you are replying to properly. The poster was saying that Hanley - when he was fully fit!!!! - would have prevented the Wednesday goals.

It's you who failed to read the post properly! Nowhere are the words 'fully fit' used. 

Great player in his prime but his game relied on pace to account for his sometimes poor positioning and errors. That pace has gone/is going…might give us one or two seasons as backup but I fear best days are now behind him. We shall see- hope he proves me wrong 

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of Hanley when he first came in, and I've always thought his injury in Farkes second season was pivotal in getting ball-players in the CB slots to help us play. An expensive blocker who happened to be captain.

However, as time has gone on, I've been able to see his value. He's even improved his ability on the ball- not to a high standard but way above the level he joined- and could probably have left to sit on a PL bench a few years ago. 

When he got injured I said I didn't think he'd play any serious football for us again, given the nature of the injury and his age. I think that still holds- I think he will end up at a Hearts/ Hibs level team and see out the last few years of playing. Fact of the matter is he's probably 4th choice already and that won't improve unless the squad gets worse.

A real shame but a great servant 👏

• Like 1

20 hours ago, S_81 said:

Sounds like you are.

Unfortunately your opening post comes across as rude and crass towards one of our top professionals.

For some reason, I'm sure you're a binner? It would make sense  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Hanley has been a good servant who owes the club nothing. He is ageing now and his long-term injury seems to have heralded a possible end to his effective playing career at the level we aspire to be or are currently at.

You never know though as he is clearly a tough nut to crack.

The suggestion that his future at Carrow Road will likely be no more than as a back-up begs the question.

As I see it, we seem to be piling up a number of players in this category. Old players who are past their best, yet on a fairly high wage.

Barnes is one, perhaps Duffy is another, whilst Gibson is no chicken and on high wages whilst being somewhat inconsistent at times. He has to go, whatever terms he accepts, imo

Perhaps Argos is another, and I don't rate Fassnacht much. Kenny is another, although he has developed into Mr. Versatile Superman and would serve us well for another Chumps season as I see it.

At the beginning of the season I favoured our policy of employing hardened, experience pros to provide the necessary backbone, if the outcome is ageing, costly back-ups then we are surely in a mess unless a few academy kids come good. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1