Sign in to follow this  
Sufyellow

McCallum being lazy.

Am I wrong,  in thinking McCallum is basically being told to play as an attacking winger if it is working? People trying to blame him for his positional play , don't seem to understand his role. Surely yesterday a midfielder should be covering him when he is attacking , he was no way going to get back to stop the cross for the first goal, which I have seen People blaming him for on X .

• Like 1

As I see it, in attack, a midfielder drops back between the centre halves thus shaping into a back 3 who spread across the back and providing cover for the fullbacks. With a regular change of the 2 centre halves(half's) and no settled pairing, communication is key. The front players need to close any opposition player to stop the long passes catching McCallum out as well.

• Like 2

He's not lazy far from it. If he gets caught upfield there's no way he can run as fast as the ball can travel.

We caught out yesterday. A punt down the line from Plymouth, Kenny fails to cut it out, Gibbo can't get across quick enough and suddenly they're in on goal.

It's good to watch at Chumps level but play like that against Premier League quality opposition and we will get torn to shreds.

• Like 1

We don't tend to close down crosses - Wagner's method is to defend them on the edge and in the box. It's led to some goals conceded, but it leads to more being scored from us obtaining possession and breaking fast. The fault yesterday was midfield not cutting out the pass and then Sorensen not making the header.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

He's not lazy far from it. If he gets caught upfield there's no way he can run as fast as the ball can travel.

We caught out yesterday. A punt down the line from Plymouth, Kenny fails to cut it out, Gibbo can't get across quick enough and suddenly they're in on goal.

It's good to watch at Chumps level but play like that against Premier League quality opposition and we will get torn to shreds.

Totally agree, but it works at the moment,  we are very much playing a farke way without a Tettey. As you say this tactic gets destroyed in the prem. It just seems some fans don't understand the way we are playing, and keep saying McCallum is lazy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

Totally agree, but it works at the moment,  we are very much playing a farke way without a Tettey. As you say this tactic gets destroyed in the prem. It just seems some fans don't understand the way we are playing, and keep saying McCallum is lazy. 

Dimi gets forward just as much but is a slightly stronger athlete getting back. Sam’s not lazy and is more effective attacking. A player who had the strengths of both would be awesome. But that player probably wouldn’t be here…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Who cares how a tactic or a player would work in the Premier League? We’re in the Champs.

Worry about it if we get there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm assuming it is deliberate - if not I'm sure Wagner would be telling McCallum to work harder when watching the match replays. However, surely as a left-back if there is an attack on you should be sprinting back to your position. Even if stopping a cross is impossible, there is a good chance a rebound will need cleaning up.

There was a point against Plymouth when Sainz (who lost the ball in the Plymouth half) was sprinting back to try and stop the winger, and passed a jogging McCallum on the way..

Edited by One Flew Over...

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Dimi gets forward just as much but is a slightly stronger athlete getting back. Sam’s not lazy and is more effective attacking. A player who had the strengths of both would be awesome. But that player probably wouldn’t be here…

Dimi does n't attack like McCallum. McCallum is lots more positive attacking wise and is happy to go all the way on a break to get a cross in on his own, that drags players out of position but can also leave him stranded up the pitch , surely that is when a midfielder stays back and covers. Dimi is a lot more slower in the build up and needs players around him, he's alot easier to defend against and only needs one player marking him. In McCallums last 4 starts we have scored 14 and conceded 2, I think he has played a huge part in that. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Who cares how a tactic or a player would work in the Premier League? We’re in the Champs.

Especially as that player is out of contract in a few months anyway! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, One Flew Over... said:

I'm assuming it is deliberate - if not I'm sure Wagner would be telling McCallum to work harder when watching the match replays. However, surely as a left-back if there is an attack on you should be sprinting back to your position. Even if stopping a cross is impossible, there is a good chance a rebound will need cleaning up.

There was a point against Plymouth when Sanz (who lost the ball in the Plymouth half) was sprinting back to try and stop the winger, and passed a jogging McCallum on the way..

When the cross goes in for the goal with sainz closing down,  McCallum had got back behind him to cover. As an all out attacking fullback,  you can't keep running the full length of the pitch at full pace all game, that is impossible. Remember hucks attacking down the wing, then do you remember his defensive role.  

44 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

That's true , but after the last attempt we should also worry about it now, I thought that was the problem last time and the reason farke was sacked. Still I will enjoy the ride now as it is entertaining again. 

3 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

When the cross goes in for the goal with sainz closing down,  McCallum had got back behind him to cover. As an all out attacking fullback,  you can't keep running the full length of the pitch at full pace all game, that is impossible. Remember hucks attacking down the wing, then do you remember his defensive role.  

Stacy is also an attacking fullback, I just don't recall ever seeing him jogging back if there is an attack down our right. Just wondering if staying up the pitch is tactical, or if it is a stamina/fitness issue due to less game time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Especially as that player is out of contract in a few months anyway! 

We could give him a new contract, personally I would let Dimi go and keep him. Not alot between them and we know what Dimi can do, McCallum still has time to improve. Plus I expect Dimi is on higher wages. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, One Flew Over... said:

Stacy is also an attacking fullback, I just don't recall ever seeing him jogging back if there is an attack down our right. Just wondering if staying up the pitch is tactical, or if it is a stamina/fitness issue due to less game time.

Stacey gets caught as well, but again Stacey is a different kind of attacking player , he more over laps and has alot more support his side. For the goal yesterday when McCallum attacked there was no one that side of the pitch , maybe it was sainz job to cover but he was in the middle. Nunez wasn't in the game at all so that didn't help. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, One Flew Over... said:

When we sold Mumba Wagner justified it by saying that Mumba sees himself as a wing back, while he plays conventional full backs.

Now when we see how far forward our full backs play, especially when Fassnacht comes on and we go really narrow, it makes me wonder whether there was a bit more to the Mumba sale.

Either us being a lot more skint than any of us realising and really needing that £1m quid, Wagner not really rating him or believing that he could develop any further, or the most likely candidate in my view perhaps he just didn't like his personality or consider him to fit into the group.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

When we sold Mumba Wagner justified it by saying that Mumba sees himself as a wing back, while he plays conventional full backs.

Now when we see how far forward our full backs play, especially when Fassnacht comes on and we go really narrow, it makes me wonder whether there was a bit more to the Mumba sale.

Either us being a lot more skint than any of us realising and really needing that £1m quid, Wagner not really rating him or believing that he could develop any further, or the most likely candidate in my view perhaps he just didn't like his personality or consider him to fit into the group.

He probably thought we had enough cover for that position, and we needed the million. It could of been to sign Sainz or Barnes 

I think the terminology “jogging back” is where the lazy claims come from. Some players are quicker than others. Doesn’t mean others are lazy.

• Like 1

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I think the terminology “jogging back” is where the lazy claims come from. Some players are quicker than others. Doesn’t mean others are lazy.

I just don't think some fans get what he is being asked to do, they see him as the full back so he should be there to defend the cross , even if 10 seconds earlier he has run the ball from the half way line to the corner flag , they still think he can then run faster than the ball to cover the attack at the other end. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sufyellow said:

I just don't think some fans get what he is being asked to do, they see him as the full back so he should be there to defend the cross , even if 10 seconds earlier he has run the ball from the half way line to the corner flag , they still think he can then run faster than the ball to cover the attack at the other end. 

Dimi does that bit better. He’s not noticed because he’s a better athlete. However Sam is better attacking. He seems to make better decisions in the final third. You touched on how their worth can be measured. If they played 20 games each the better goal difference would be the better option. It could well be we score more with Sam in the team.

• Like 1

I think we just have to accept McCallum's limitations. Unless we want to play Kenny at left back instead.

Those saying he is better in attack than Giannoulis, might do well to remember that Dimi has more assists than Sainz, Rowe, Hernandez and Fassnacht.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Sam gets offered a new contract in the summer.

18 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Dimi does that bit better. He’s not noticed because he’s a better athlete. However Sam is better attacking. He seems to make better decisions in the final third. You touched on how their worth can be measured. If they played 20 games each the better goal difference would be the better option. It could well be we score more with Sam in the team.

I think Sam definitely fits this system better,  he pulls players out of position more creating more space for others , it was a tight game Friday but we could of easily scored 5 on a good day, but probably conceded 3. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I think we just have to accept McCallum's limitations. Unless we want to play Kenny at left back instead.

Those saying he is better in attack than Giannoulis, might do well to remember that Dimi has more assists than Sainz, Rowe, Hernandez and Fassnacht.

Personally, I'd be surprised if Sam gets offered a new contract in the summer.

Done the stats one , they mean nothing. McCallum will not get anything for the goal Friday but Dimi gets one for a sideways pass , McCallum gets nothing for a great shot hitting the post and going to Sara for a tap in. Watching games for 90 mins gives you a real picture. 

The camera pans to the attack all the time & you see McCallum run into shot, at what looks like 40% effort so I can see why he gets blamed. Why doesn't Stacey get blamed for the same situation? I've never seen him at 40% tracking back. I love McCallum going forwards, he's decent. When we lose the ball though we're extremely exposed.

If opposition managers have any nous they would notice that his main weakness is leaving the right -sided attacker bucket loads of space. This is McCallum ‘s biggest weakness.

His attacking play is excellent and enthusiastic, his ball crossing is equal to, or better than Giannoulis.

I suspect Giannoulis is probably quicker, but McCallum is a good replacement.

1 hour ago, Sufyellow said:

Done the stats one , they mean nothing.

Oh, dear. Don't tell Ben Knapper then.

His entire career has been built on data analytics.

The basic set up is clearly to play both full backs wide and well up the pitch. Both Stacey and McCallum are well suited for these roles and the latter is a good prospect and his style reminds me of Trent Alexander-Arnold !! He tends to find space much easier than Giannoulis. As regards Stacey he has found plenty of space in recent games and there is some strange inability to use him enough. However, as was shown on Friday, this system is very vulnerable to quick breakways, as all our central defenders lack pace to cover. Skipp on the other hand was ideal in that capacity. albeit that he has shown at Spurs he has shortcomings as an attacking midfielder. I would stick to the current setup but we definitely need a midfielder/defender who can provide pace and cover. In the second half against Plymouth we were twice totally exposed but fortunately Gunn saved the day.

On 30/03/2024 at 12:45, Bigbrenn said:

As I see it, in attack, a midfielder drops back between the centre halves thus shaping into a back 3 who spread across the back and providing cover for the fullbacks. With a regular change of the 2 centre halves(half's) and no settled pairing, communication is key. The front players need to close any opposition player to stop the long passes catching McCallum out as well.

Generally speaking, you only want one full back pushing on at a time. The opposite full back should be a bit deeper. Otherwise you can condense an area with too many bodies and reduce the space for them to move into.

For example, if you have McCallum Crossing in from the left, somewhere between th 18yrd line and the by-line, you don't really want Stacey out in a similar position on the opposite side of the pitch. You also don't want him where you would expect the right of the attacking 3 to be because they'll get in each others way, especially if looking to make the same moves or runs.

Though you are right, the idea of a purely defensive midfielder, as Tettey did, is to drop in to form a three with the two CB's. The full back on the other side should really almost be between the attacking three and the midfield two at most. Ready to react to a ball that breaks out into their space, or the space in front of them. Either for them to attack or for them to push on the opposing player with the idea of forcing them to pass, ideally backwards, thus slowing play and allowing other players to get back.

Pushing both on can be problematic.

In answer to the OP - don't listen to "X", honestly, the best thing you can do is get off that place now. Since Musk got hold of it it's absolutely gone to pot, flooded with bots and was already flooded with people who are not interest in discussion. However, there is absolutely no way that McCallum was just making it up as he went along, he'll either have been told to play the role the way he is playing it, or he is going against what he has been told. If he is doing the latter, you'd think you'd see him hooked more often for either Sorensen or McLean to prove a point, or even Montoia if they think he is up to it yet. 

3 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Done the stats one , they mean nothing. McCallum will not get anything for the goal Friday but Dimi gets one for a sideways pass , McCallum gets nothing for a great shot hitting the post and going to Sara for a tap in. Watching games for 90 mins gives you a real picture. 

Add to that the fact that McCallum would have had a massive winning goal against Southampton on his record for this season if it hadn't been for an atrocious offside decision. He would also have had an assist for Barnes against Cardiff if it hadn't been for yet another terrible offside decision. People who regurgitate statistics without realising their limitations are all too common these days.

• Like 1