Sign in to follow this  
RobJames

So, Watford

Coming to CR having lost their last 3 games, and only drew the 3 prior to that. Odd thought as some might say the longer a run goes the more likely it will be broken while others will claim that is an indication of how things will go, another defeat.

So is Sid a direct replacement for Barnes ? Who of the three will be on top ?  Will Rowe be fit (curiously as a sub his part in our second goal is not being mentioned). Stacey, unfit ? Any other players issued with unfitness come Tues ?  Gino or Sam ?

Sweepstake for the time of Sainz booking, and heavy rain is forecast so perhaps best not to take the bike. 🌧️

Sargent Scorpian kick aside...an absolute bogey team for us for years, usually because of our inability to deal with Ismaila Sarr and still even threw away a 2-0 lead there this season

However we will have Gunn this time and not Long

If will be down to our team selection and use of substitutions both in timing and personnel.

Lets hope Wagner gets it right, as he did vs Coventry as opposed to the disaster of yesterday

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Who issued it to him ?

Any idea of how long the injury will keep him out ?

Club hasn't issued any update other than to acknowledge the issue. In my experience, even a minor hamstring strain is likely to be 2-3 weeks. Hopefully it's nothing more serious.

If Stacey has recovered then I'd expect an unchanged team, unless he wants to bring Nunez in for Barnes and push Sara further forward. Can't see him starting Sydney if he didn't even trust him for 10 minutes at QPR.

Most likely an injury rather than an isshhooo. Start Syd rather than Barnes though whether he is compatible with SGT we will have to see. Club must have worked that out before signing him though. Sara is better playing deeper as he has the ability to play a long ball, as with Kenny. We need to get the ball forward quicker, pssing about in defence with it merely allows the opposition to close us down.

Every game from here on in is a 'must win' game, as not only do we need to stay in touch with the play offs, we need to put some distance between others ie not going into our last game (Brum A) needing others elsewhere to drop points.

41 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Sargent Scorpian kick aside...an absolute bogey team for us for years, usually because of our inability to deal with Ismaila Sarr and still even threw away a 2-0 lead there this season

However we will have Gunn this time and not Long

If will be down to our team selection and use of substitutions both in timing and personnel.

Lets hope Wagner gets it right, as he did vs Coventry as opposed to the disaster of yesterday

Interesting you mention the ‘disaster’ of yesterday, and the mistakes Long made at Watford - totally neglecting that we’d have won yesterday but for poor keeping that conceded a goal. Odd that it seems to have passed people by.

• Like 1

There’s another game Saturday, Barnes will need a rest and we could start Sargent on tye bench, as he’s still coming back from injury! Unfortunately Rowe will be missing and that mean’s Fassnacht will no doubt start!

I’d go with a midfield of Nunez & McLean with Sarah further forwards. Knowing we have Cardiff on Saturday we can go back to Barnes & Sarge then.

Edited by Indy

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting you mention the ‘disaster’ of yesterday, and the mistakes Long made at Watford - totally neglecting that we’d have won yesterday but for poor keeping that conceded a goal. Odd that it seems to have passed people by.

Are you comparing Gunn's 1 error yesterday for the first goal (and his first in weeks) to the horror show by Long at Watford?

...we'd have won yesterday having taken the lead in the secind half were it not for Wagner getting just about everything wrong from that point onwards

24 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Are you comparing Gunn's 1 error yesterday for the first goal (and his first in weeks) to the horror show by Long at Watford?

...we'd have won yesterday having taken the lead in the secind half were it not for Wagner getting just about everything wrong from that point onwards

Hmmm….comparing a bad error with other errors - why the hell not? Long would have been ripped to shreds if that was him, Gunn’s first half yesterday was pretty awful.

Edited by Branston Pickle

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hmmm….comparing a bad error with other errors - why the hell not? Long would have been ripped to shreds if that was him, Gunn’s first half yesterday was pretty awful.

Why not?....Long was at fault for all 3 at Watford and had a complete nightmare with his handling on several other occasions too

Gunn made one misjudgement in the first half...and then having turned the game in our favour in the secind half, it wasnt then his fault we threw it away from there

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

Who issued it to him ?

Any idea of how long the injury will keep him out ?

It was probably Bill. He always liked an issue……

6 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Why not?....Long was at fault for all 3 at Watford and had a complete nightmare with his handling on several other occasions too

Gunn made one misjudgement in the first half...and then having turned the game in our favour in the secind half, it wasnt then his fault we threw it away from there

Well at least you agree about a “misjudgement” from Gunn - a huge understatement, it was at least on a par with any mistake that Long made.  However you dress it up it gifted them the lead, that is fact.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well at least you agree about a “misjudgement” from Gunn - a huge understatement, it was at least on a par with any mistake that Long made.  However you dress it up it gifted them the lead, that is fact.

...well Long made x3 at Watford which lead to goals...plus countless others on the night 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...well Long made x3 at Watford which lead to goals...plus countless others on the night 

Well, that’s ok then.  You clearly have your scapegoat in Long, despite him having no impact on the crapshow that was Gunn in the first half yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, that’s ok then.  You clearly have your scapegoat in Long, despite him having no impact on the crapshow that was Gunn in the first half yesterday.  

Not really...Long had a nightmare at Watford, I was standing right behind him in the first half. I'm suggesting that we will have a better chance against them on Tuesday as we will have a better keeper in goal.

I dont think there's any revelations here.

I think its you that have the agenda against Gunn?

16 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not really...Long had a nightmare at Watford, I was standing right behind him in the first half. I'm suggesting that we will have a better chance against them on Tuesday as we will have a better keeper in goal.

I dont think there's any revelations here.

Not at all - Gunn is our number one keeper, but was pretty awful yesterday for the first half.  You’re the one who mentioned Long, as though no other keeper has ever had a poor game….when one did yesterday.

Sp

1 hour ago, Indy said:

There’s another game Saturday, Barnes will need a rest and we could start Sargent on tye bench, as he’s still coming back from injury! Unfortunately Rowe will be missing and that mean’s Fassnacht will no doubt start!

I’d go with a midfield of Nunez & McLean with Sarah further forwards. Knowing we have Cardiff on Saturday we can go back to Barnes & Sarge then.

Fassnacht - please no, a complete waste of …………

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not at all - Gunn is our number one keeper, but was pretty awful yesterday for the first half.  You’re the one who mentioned Long, as though no other keeper has ever had a poor game….when one did yesterday.

I mentioned Long because he played in goal at Wafford in the reverse fixture..and this dicussion thread is about the Watford game on Tuesday

I think youre making more of it than there is

I’m merely pointing something out on a discussion board.  It’s kind of what it’s for.

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m merely pointing something out on a discussion board.  It’s kind of what it’s for.

Well who would you rather in goal on Tuesday , Gunn or Long?

7 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Well who would you rather in goal on Tuesday , Gunn or Long?

I’d be ok with either, or Reyes, but Gunn is our first choice - as mentioned ages ago. 

Gunn was poor for the first goal Saturday no doubt, but to compare it to the absolute ****show that was Long vs Watford I just can't agree with.

Longs performance at Watford was the worst goalkeeping display I've seen since a certain Aussie vs Colchester. 

Edited by Ken Hairy
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Nail on head. It's patently clear @Branston Pickle has something against Angus Gunn. Ironic really, given his near absolute reluctance to criticise anything to do with the club, he shows a peculiar keeness to throw Gunn, one of our best players, maybe even the best player, this season under the bus.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Nail on head. It's patently clear @Branston Pickle has something against Angus Gunn. Ironic really, given his near absolute reluctance to criticise anything to do with the club, he shows a peculiar keeness to throw Gunn, one of our best players, maybe even the best player, this season under the bus.

Wtf are you on about. I have absolutely nothing against Angus and merely pointed out that it is astonishing how he seemed to be clear of any comment about his poor performance on Saturday.  He had a very poor first half, not just for their goal. He’s clearly our number one and best keeper, and has credit in the bank. To make anything more of that comment is madness.

It really is astonishing how people have their favourites who you can’t remotely criticise, yet the first time other players, such as Kenny (and, yes, Long), play below par they are ripped apart. That is what my comment was about, and all I am talking about. Nothing more. However you might want to dress it up.

But you’re certainly a bit fecked up - you moan that I don’t criticise things and then moan that I do…that’s really not very clever.  Maybe you can come up with a list of who/what is ok to criticise….

Anyway, goalkeeping apart, it seems to me that the back four from Saturday plus McLean just in front just does not work and never had effectively.

McLean just follows the ball, Gia switches off too often ( and I'm not going back through the stats so I might be contradicted,) Those five are incapable of stopping crosses coming in and worry me every time the other team attack.

Macullum for me, get McLean in the back four, Nunez in and Fass out as a start. 

Oh. And what's the point of a loan player? It's in the expression 'player.'

• Like 1

Two home games in a week against teams below us. It really needs to be 6 pts if we are to be challenging top 6.

8 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Two home games in a week against teams below us. It really needs to be 6 pts if we are to be challenging top 6.

Indeed.  On the face of it an away draw isn’t a poor result, win the upcoming home games and it’s 10pts from the run of 4 games - that’s what we need.

Watford have had the rub of things in our games recently, it’s time for that to change. 

I said elsewhere but the QPR point away goes from being a decent point to a very good one if we win both our home games this week.

Bizarrely Watford haven't won in 4 yet sit second in the awaybfor table for the last 6 games, behind only Leicester.  They are a fast physical side that we usually struggle against. Add in 5 wins against us in the last 6 including all 3 at carrow road and this is a test.

However if we turn up as we did v wba or cov we can take the win,  it is all in our hands, positive progressive confident and its a win; timid and anxious as we were v QPR and its unlikely.

I'd probably revert to the  cov line up with hanley for duffy but tbh it's down to the players attitude rather than the starting XI; focus, grit, apply quality and move the ball through the lines with pace rather than the turgid pace we see too often, ownership and energy are key, make them chase the ball, and let barnes be an impact sub.

• Like 1