MC_NCFC

Is our £1m investment still at the club?

Is the Soccer bot still at Colney?

I haven’t heard much from the club regarding it since the initial installation. Plus when they do behind the scenes training, we never see it in action? Anyone have any insight and whether the club think it’s worth what they paid? 

1 minute ago, MC_NCFC said:

I haven’t heard much from the club regarding it since the initial installation. Plus when they do behind the scenes training, we never see it in action? Anyone have any insight and whether the club think it’s worth what they paid? 

They've put the Colney vegetable patch inside it to keep the frost off the plants....It's now the Soccerbotanical....FACT!.....

• Haha 5

I think Idah used to play Minecraft in there, perhaps they'll ship it up to Glasgow if he moves?

• Haha 1

Webber did talk about a ‘player’ worth around a million that had great data but couldn’t take on instructions. Could he have been talking about the bot? 

Soccer bot salesman must of loved the day he got rid of that pile of rubbish for a million ,

Webber what ever were you thinking 

Edited by norfolkngood

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Soccer bot salesman must of loved the day he got rid of that pile of rubbish for a million ,

I'm not even sure that it has failed, but signing up to the premise that it has; In the scheme of things, a million isn't a lot. I'd rather we tried these things and they failed than sit there playing 4-4-2 (ironically, Wagner appears to be in favour!) and stagnating. 

Yeah, I know, people like to complain...

Sold to Billy Smarts circus and now has motor bikes travelling around the sides, morning noon and nights...

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Haha 1

Always wondered if Soccer bot is actually partially to blame for our downturn over the past few seasons.  If the artificial nature of it was allowing players to get good at 'gaming' it, but actually taking the edge off when it comes to real world scenarios...

10 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I'm not even sure that it has failed, but signing up to the premise that it has; In the scheme of things, a million isn't a lot. I'd rather we tried these things and they failed than sit there playing 4-4-2 (ironically, Wagner appears to be in favour!) and stagnating. 

Yeah, I know, people like to complain...

i would say it has failed our defenders find it hard to pass to each other and the mistakes when passing the whole team  is terrible some of the worst i have seen in a Norwich side 

9 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Sold to Billy Smarts circus and now has motor bikes travelling around the sides, morning noon and nights...

either that or been weighed in for 700 quid worth of scrap metal 

11 hours ago, MC_NCFC said:

When Webber made a big song and dance about us being the first club in the UK to buy a SoccerBot360

Well I can confirm that we are still the only club in the UK to own a SoccerBot360.

In fact, I think the only clubs to own a SoccerBot360 are RB Leipzing, Norwich City, and FC Zurich, and it appears from their website that they can no longer boast Borussia Dortmund as a customer as they don't show off their badge.

That might tell you something about the SoccerBot360. It tells you that they probably won't be around for much longer and then we won't be able to get software upgrades and servicing. And it tells you that football in general don't believe them to be of any value to player development. 

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

When Webber made a sing and dance about us being the first club in the UK to buy a SoccerBot360

Well I can confirm that we are still the only club in the UK to own a SoccerBot360.

In fact, I think the only clubs to own a SoccerBot360 are RB Leipzing, Norwich City, and FC Zurich, and it appears from their website that they can no longer boast Borussia Dortmund as a customer as they don't show off their badge.

That might tell you something about the SoccerBot360. It tells you that they probably won't be around for much longer and then we won't be able to get software upgrades and servicing. And it tells you that football in general don't believe them to be of any value to player development. 

Exactly this ! if it was so great every club that can afford it would have it ,

15 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I think Idah used to play Minecraft in there, perhaps they'll ship it up to Glasgow if he moves?

I'd heard you'd married Soccer Bot and were very happy together.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I'd heard you'd married Soccer Bot and were very happy together.

I wish!  The thought of all those fit footballers dribbling around her perimeter makes me incredibly jealous.  In fact, i'd rather not even think about it, thank you!

1 hour ago, Rottingdean canary said:

One of the Academy youngsters mentioned using it recently. I was mildly reassured that at least it was being used 

He used it to have a quick  sneaky fag break as he knew nobody goes in there 

Edited by norfolkngood

17 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

RB Leipzig fans don't seem too bothered that they invested in it. 

Does anyone know that it's actually rubbish? Or is everyone just assuming because they don't have the knowledge on it?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

He used it to have a quick  sneaky fag break as he knew nobody goes in there 

You can imagine him sat there, fag in hand and a 360 view of Everest panned around.  Virtual fellow mountaineers applauding every puff he takes. 

He won't ever share that scrap of paper he found of course, or whisper the 4 digit PIN scribbled on it, which just so happens to be the previous sporting directors date of birth.

Oh no, this is his place.  And it's going to remain like that.

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Does anyone know that it's actually rubbish? Or is everyone just assuming because they don't have the knowledge on it?

No one knows, but we can make a fairly accurate guess based on two pieces of known information;

1) Webber was involved in the purchase of it, therefore it's more likely to fail than succeed

2) No one else has purchased it; if there was even a whiff of evidence that this thing was developing players well, other people would be jumping on the bandwagon.

The reality is, a two million goes on that arcade game they have in Yarmouth where you punt a ball on the end of a string past a plastic goalie for 50p would have done more for our players.

Also, a million is buttons to RB Leipzig. For them, it's probably the equivalent to our vegetable patch. Having said that, a few people have moaned about that too.

Edited by canarydan23

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

No one knows, but we can make a fairly accurate guess based on two pieces of known information;

1) Webber was involved in the purchase of it, therefore it's more likely to fail than succeed

2) No one else has purchased it; if there was even a whiff of evidence that this thing was developing players well, other people would be jumping on the bandwagon.

The reality is, a two million goes on that arcade game they have in Yarmouth where you punt a ball on the end of a string past a plastic goalie for 50p would have done more for our players.

Also, a million is buttons to RB Leipzig. For them, it's probably the equivalent to our vegetable patch. Having said that, a few people have moaned about that too.

Well, maybe. Maybe not. 

Webber was involved in the purchase of it yet, overall, his transfer record of all players in vs out looks quite healthy compared to other CEO's or SD's over a similar timeframe. I'm not sure if it was the Athletic which looked at an overall picture? 

Anyway, I digress.

What we do know is it did lead to Sargent getting his first start for Werder Bremen...

My overall point is the club shouldn't be criticised for attempting to embrace new technology and ideas. That others haven't purchased isn't a reason to be one of the first to do so. That the club aren't shouting about what it's done doesn't mean it's done nothing. It doesn't mean it won't be useful in the future, either.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, hogesar said:

How could you possibly know this? 

2 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Because Webber Bitty good…

3 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Quick forum search shows no complaining fans about it on any of their forums. Rangnick spoke about it positively during his time there obviously, and the comments under the news article were all just general interest from fans. 

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That others haven't purchased isn't a reason to be one of the first to do so. That the club aren't shouting about what it's done doesn't mean it's done nothing. It doesn't mean it won't be useful in the future, either.

Must admit, I always thought it was for our academy players to work on elements such as decision making, by simulating real world scenarios.  Outside of that, I only ever imagine first team players to use it if they're unable to train conventionally.   Could be wrong in that assumption, but i'm sure I read something or saw something that suggested this was to help with academy products.

If that's the case, then indeed, as you say the fruits may not be evident until a few years down the line.  And they may never be evident.

However, I think for the vast majority it's just a bit of banter to have a dig at it.

But In regards to the bigger picture, and how much it cost us, it's at least a true addition to the infrastructure at Colney which we've invested in, in itself it could be part of the whole experience when shown around the training facilities that seals a young hopeful to come join the ranks.

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Quick forum search shows no complaining fans about it on any of their forums. Rangnick spoke about it positively during his time there obviously, and the comments under the news article were all just general interest from fans. 

Never heard Farke, Smith or Wagner give it any praise if I'm honest, is there any evidence from the past couple of years that we even still have it? Last I heard Billy Gilmour was the best at it, followed by Todd Cantwell.

Both were dreadful on the pitch at that time, so perhaps we realised that players need to be out on the grass and not playing foot tetris on an HD screen.

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Outside of that, I only ever imagine first team players to use it if they're unable to train conventionally. 

There's a video of Dean Smith around Colney where he told him that Billy Gilmour had the best SoccerBot scores followed by Todd Cantwell and Kieron Dowell

Here it is, about 3 minutes 50 seconds in