14 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Rowe himself has said he's on his way?  ...Was that on social media or something?

I don't think he's said anything unless I've missed something 

He probably will be off in the summer but I think people are reading an awful lot into the story quoted in the o/p

That quotes his representatives saying "he's focused on earning a move to the Premier league" which could mean he's quite happy here and keen to learn 

He'll probably be sold this afternoon now I've said all that

12 hours ago, duke63 said:

Clubs have very little say these days. 

Players hold ALL the power. You would think Rowe felt some obligation to the club after we paid him for a year whilst injured but seems loyalty only works one way. 

Hmmm. If his injury had been worse and restricted his play do you think we'd have been loyal and offered him a new contract?

The player and club enter a contract and both are fully aware of how the game works. All we can expect is 100% effort on the pitch from players under contract. 

The odds are stacked in favour of the players now but that's the law and I can't see why they shouldn't enjoy the same freedoms as the rest of us. 

I often hear (not in your post) that there is no loyalty in football like the old days. Not so long ago I read a book about Bobby Moore who was always said to be loyal to West Ham. But the reality was he asked for a transfer every season because he had offers from Spurs and Liverpool. Even when his contract had expired West Ham could insist that he stayed with them. Things have gone full circle. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Bearing in mind the first renewal for Season Tickets is but a few weeks away - and if Jo Jo was to Go Go and was replaced with a ho hum replacement? Would it then impact on renewals of ST's?

If Knapper is wanting to build us back into a team who can retain the ball and control possession (As you'd expect coming from Arsenal), and a Rowe sale today allows us to bring in 2-3 players to start to do that then i'd be quite happy.

But, If we sold him and we continued how we are then i'd be pretty pished as we're basically absorbing attacks and hoping that someone like Rowe has a moment of brilliance.  Except we'd no longer have Rowe.

When I think of things as a whole, there's players i'd be more upset about losing and consider it a step backwards if we sold, and by that I mean components of a team and not individuals.  i.e. Sara, Gunn or Sarge i'd feel really quite devastated if this talk was regarding them.

But I don't feel the same about Rowe, and I think this is because i'm not sure he will ever advance his game beyond being a bit of an enigma.   I could be completely wrong but he doesn't seem to have the stamina to consistently affect the game, and is somewhat focused on himself more than the team as a whole.  But then he is young, and he's raw.

It's a really tough call.  Because as a fan, these moments of brilliance are really stand out and Rowe just pulls it out the bag.  But I think we should be more looking to develop a greater sum of all parts if we want success and a team for fans to get behind and support.

Just wish we knew what the plan was really, as I haven't a clue what we are or where we're heading in regards to identity and style of play.  If he was to go this window it could be anything from a cash grab to the start of a new team development.  Who really knows!?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

If Knapper is wanting to build us back into a team who can retain the ball and control possession (As you'd expect coming from Arsenal), and a Rowe sale today allows us to bring in 2-3 players to start to do that then i'd be quite happy.

But, If we sold him and we continued how we are then i'd be pretty pished as we're basically absorbing attacks and hoping that someone like Rowe has a moment of brilliance.  Except we'd no longer have Rowe.

When I think of things as a whole, there's players i'd be more upset about losing and consider it a step backwards if we sold, and by that I mean components of a team and not individuals.  i.e. Sara, Gunn or Sarge i'd feel really quite devastated if this talk was regarding them.

But I don't feel the same about Rowe, and I think this is because i'm not sure he will ever advance his game beyond being a bit of an enigma.   I could be completely wrong but he doesn't seem to have the stamina to consistently affect the game, and is somewhat focused on himself more than the team as a whole.  But then he is young, and he's raw.

It's a really tough call.  Because as a fan, these moments of brilliance are really stand out and Rowe just pulls it out the bag.  But I think we should be more looking to develop a greater sum of all parts if we want success and a team for fans to get behind and support.

Just wish we knew what the plan was really, as I haven't a clue what we are or where we're heading in regards to identity and style of play.  If he was to go this window it could be anything from a cash grab to the start of a new team development.  Who really knows!?

He's a strange player isn't he? I'm not complaining but he has consistently won us games with apparently the minimum of effort. I've never seen a player quite like it. 

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It is interesting what you say about Rowe, "enigma" is a good word to describe him. He could go on to be another Maddison, equally he could be another Cantwell (in terms of not meeting his perceived footballing potential rather than the social media stuff). I can see the quandary for NCFC, do they sell whilst Rowes stock is high or do they risk holding on to him only to find he does not progress any further than he has. Like you I would not mind if we sold Rowe to fund the start of the rebuild but would be extremely fed up if it is just a way of balancing the books..................

1 hour ago, Google Bot said:

Rowe himself has said he's on his way?  ...Was that on social media or something?

The original op says Rowe has rejected the move to Lazio to concentrate on a move to the EPL in January or failing that the summer I believe. Admittedly his representatives saying that, that’s why I am sceptical that he actually said it, but going by that doesn’t seem to be the club stoking up the interest.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

If he says he's on his way then surely that means the club has accepted an offer?

In order for a player to leave we have to accept an offer. He's contracted here.

We could easily just tell him and his agent that we'd accept any offer of £18m in June or July but he's not leaving a day before.

Selling one of our best players when within 2 points of the play offs is just pathetic.

lol, I think you are playing down the fact that ‘ he ‘ might be saying I’m off, and then playing down that the club may want to keep him. 
Do you really believe a contract can stop a player.

Edited by Well b back

13 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Admittedly his representatives saying that, that’s why I am sceptical that he actually said it, but going by that doesn’t seem to be the club stoking up the interest.

Ah I see it, it's come from that original post, that's why i'm confused with people saying it's come from himself or his reps.

Personally I read the sentence at the bottom as being reported from Italy/Lazio side, so feel it's more likely lost in translation somewhere along the line.

Edit: Just went and had a look at the original report from Italy and it's translated to this:

Lazio tried, they tested the waters with Norwich and with Jonathan Rowe's agents .

He really liked the Canaries winger, 13 goals this season, technical and quick, excellent one-on-one, exactly the profile Lazio is looking for. However, the Biancocelesti management had to come up against the wall raised not so much by Norwich, but by the player himself. 

Rowe doesn't want to move to Italy, his goal is the Premier League, whether it's now or in the summer. 

The class of 2003 considers (not wrongly) the English one to be the best championship in the world and there he wants to show off and play his chances. There are already several Premier clubs interested in him such as West Ham, Brighton, Aston Villa and Everton and it is precisely that leap that Rowe is aiming for, having said no to the Italian hypothesis. Now Lazio will study new solutions, hoping for some opportunities in the final hours of the transfer window...

Not sure there's too much in that personally, I think it's simply a rejection to play in Italy as a whole, and the subtext that if he did go anywhere else it would be to a prem league club.

Edited by Google Bot

If we sold Rowe now and kept Wagner in charge we'd plummet down the league - he's the reason we're two points off and Dave is still in charge.

If you sell Rowe, you have to sack Wagner. 

Edited by Captain Holt

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Ah I see it, it's come from that original post, that's why i'm confused with people saying it's come from himself or his reps.

Personally I read the sentence at the bottom as being reported from Italy/Lazio side, so feel it's more likely lost in translation somewhere along the line.

Indeed, I agree totally, but it certainly doesn’t seem that the club are touting him about, but who knows. 

It would be interesting to know what bid would be high enough to tempt them into a sale. I expect Rowe will be worth the same in the summer if not more, so selling Rowe now would basically look like accepting the season has nothing to play for. But then we are apparently reliant on player sales so they might not want to risk him getting injured or losing form.

He has been brilliant but half a season is not a huge body of evidence and some players do have hot streaks, a bit like Cantwell. I think a Cantwell scenario is unlikely though as Cantwell never had the power and pace of Rowe which are valued so highly.

Ultimately, I think there will be a difference between what a club is willing to pay for him based on half a season and what it would take to tempt NCFC into an early sale.

Didn't Rowe post about "it wasn't to be..."etc.

Was a bit strange, almost like something had fallen through.. 

Be gutted if we didn't keep him and Sara for an least another season.

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Do you really believe a contract can stop a player.

Yep.

Basic principles of English contract law. 

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Didn't Rowe post about "it wasn't to be..."etc.

Was a bit strange, almost like something had fallen through.. 

Be gutted if we didn't keep him and Sara for an least another season.

If we keep Rowe for another season isn't he able to walk away? Perhaps I'm wrong but I'd like to know the situation regarding his contract 

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

He's a strange player isn't he? I'm not complaining but he has consistently won us games with apparently the minimum of effort. I've never seen a player quite like it. 

Robin Van Persie ?

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Matt Le Tissier would often stroll around doing not much at all, would never put a tackle in, had low levels of fitness and loved a kebab, then pull a genius goal out of the bag every other week.

Always hear people querying why he got so few England caps, but that's with the benefits of a highlights reel, he was useless when they weren't in possession.

Berbatov another good example. Stand around doing nothing other than just about remaining onside, but an expert of breaking into a gentle jog at just the right time to be in the right place at the right time for a goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

If we sold Rowe now and kept Wagner in charge we'd plummet down the league - he's the reason we're two points off and Dave is still in charge.

If you sell Rowe, you have to sack Wagner. 

Some on here might consider that a price worth paying.

18 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Officially, yes. But the 'tapping up' rule hasn't been enforced for many years, and clubs will always approach a player via their agent in the first instance. 

I think the last club to make a complaint about tapping up was Southampton when they were a bit pissed off with Liverpool's aggressive approaches for van Dijk. Things got resolved in the end when they accepted a bid...

My watford friend is adamant Everton were caught tapping up Silver their manager at the time and things were found on company electronics. Suddenly it all went quiet when everton paid compensation to watford and they brought some young players who didn't really have enough international games to get a work permit but the Premier league helped them. 

15 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Matt Le Tissier would often stroll around doing not much at all, would never put a tackle in, had low levels of fitness and loved a kebab, then pull a genius goal out of the bag every other week.

Always hear people querying why he got so few England caps, but that's with the benefits of a highlights reel, he was useless when they weren't in possession.

Berbatov another good example. Stand around doing nothing other than just about remaining onside, but an expert of breaking into a gentle jog at just the right time to be in the right place at the right time for a goal.

A former teammate of mine at five-a-side said "Berbatov looks like he'd just drafted a translation of Dostoyevsky before lacing one into the top corner". Was a cracking summary of him.

I've said this before, Rowe is extremely alert, explosive and quick - but the downside of such a litany of fast-twitch fibres is often that these players tend to tire a fair bit quicker, or they tend to pace themselves and be a shade exposed/have to be compensated for in other ways within the team.

There isn't a consistent 90-minute powerhouse in Rowe and I don't think there ever will be. If you spend a long time training up the base endurance of a sort like that, they end up losing some of the fast-twitch fibres that make them so explosive and dangerous, but it's those rapier-like surges and bursts that make him the player he is.

He's a player you build around, not with. He's better served at a club where he's top-dog. As much as he'd want a move to the top flight, he's not there yet in terms of consistent ability.

6 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

A former teammate of mine at five-a-side said "Berbatov looks like he'd just drafted a translation of Dostoyevsky before lacing one into the top corner". Was a cracking summary of him.

I've said this before, Rowe is extremely alert, explosive and quick - but the downside of such a litany of fast-twitch fibres is often that these players tend to tire a fair bit quicker, or they tend to pace themselves and be a shade exposed/have to be compensated for in other ways within the team.

There isn't a consistent 90-minute powerhouse in Rowe and I don't think there ever will be. If you spend a long time training up the base endurance of a sort like that, they end up losing some of the fast-twitch fibres that make them so explosive and dangerous, but it's those rapier-like surges and bursts that make him the player he is.

He's a player you build around, not with. He's better served at a club where he's top-dog. As much as he'd want a move to the top flight, he's not there yet in terms of consistent ability.

He'll end up being a to 6 club super sub or something, coming off the bench for 20 minutes a game to find a goal, getting the odd 60 minutes from the start against weaker opposition. Ole Gunnar Solskjear made a great career out of it and for a period held the record for most Premier League goals as a sub (17) and the Manchester United most goals off the bench in all competitions (28).

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

Looks like they've moved on from JoJo, although MW is someone I really think we should have tried to snap up from Plymouth. 

Screenshot_20240130-161555.png

The club’s raison d’etre is to develop young players and sell them on for big(ish) money. For a farming county the club see farming players as the key to survival. It does make progressing our league status problematic. We have been a selling club for as long as I can remember and always will be.

3 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Looks like they've moved on from JoJo, although MW is someone I really think we should have tried to snap up from Plymouth. 

Screenshot_20240130-161555.png

First Jack Clarke, then Jon Rowe, now Morgan Whittaker in three consecutive days.

Did Lazio's scouts all just sit around watching the EFL highlights show at the weekend or something?

• Haha 2