Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

The club should look at the away following yesterday

30 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Two reasons why my attendance at away games has dropped to about a dozen games a season.

1. Dean Smith.

2. David Wagner.

Six reasons why my attendance at away games has dropped to about 5 games a season:

1.     Dean Smith

2.     David Wagner

3&4 Mr and Mrs Webber

5&6 Mr and Mrs Wynn-Jones

• Like 1

Now we're getting there. We've had five realities now. If we get more it could be this forum paints the picture...

Edited by nutty nigel

32 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Could it just be people are feeling the pinch financially?

In Norwich or Norfolk, more so than other parts of the country? Compared relatively to other clubs, are attendances are down. 

It’s due to a loss of interest and a widening disconnect between the current manager, squad and fan base. Change will only remedy that.

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

In Norwich or Norfolk, more so than other parts of the country? Compared relatively to other clubs, are attendances are down. 

It’s due to a loss of interest and a widening disconnect between the current manager, squad and fan base. Change will only remedy that.

So what is it for you?

9 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

…and not one due to trains or Christmas 😂😂

Exactly.

Perhaps that will come later.

Interestingly the five so far are all different. Maybe you have a sixth?

So, I did Bristol City, Stoke and West Brom away towards the end of last season - two defeats and a scoreless draw. All 2-4 hour round trips for me and forgettable performances. 

I'm looking forward to us coming through this current limbo period and am hoping that a full-club refresh will ultimately improve things on the pitch. I don't, for the most part, particularly enjoy our style of football at the moment and that's the main reason we passed on West Brom on Tuesday. 

35 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Now we're getting there. We've had five realities now. If we get more it could be this forum paints the picture...

I get this Nutty, but what is the club doing about finding "replacements" for those who are now not going away as often because of these "realities"? When those people facing new realities were younger (no matter the economics of the time), they would have gone away through thick or thin. There are young'uns who could (and in my view should be encouraged to) replace those older'uns facing their new "reality".

There is a need to capture the imagination of this new core group of away followers. To an extent City Elite were doing a fair job, but their influence seems to have plateau'd out. Is there a way the club could assist in the encouraging of City Elite to "mine" a couple of hundred more young'uns to hit the road regularly? Other clubs are managing it, irrespective of results! 

On 27/12/2023 at 09:08, Jim Smith said:

And in other recent away games and realise the harm their inertia has done to our club already. And will continue to do if they don’t actually do something soon.

David Wagner is a dinosaur. His style of football won’t work and the fans are already voting with their feet. 

Maybe some fans are put off going to games because of the poor atmosphere? I know that is a factor for me now.

Some fans go to games (especially away) with the specific intent of moaning about anything & everything - players, tactics, subs, Wagner, Delia. And if you end up near any of these then a poor day out is made even worse.

Attending & moaning all game is not, IMO, supporting the team. Leave your preconceived opinions at home (or the pub).

9 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I get this Nutty, but what is the club doing about finding "replacements" for those who are now not going away as often because of these "realities"? When those people facing new realities were younger (no matter the economics of the time), they would have gone away through thick or thin. There are young'uns who could (and in my view should be encouraged to) replace those older'uns facing their new "reality".

There is a need to capture the imagination of this new core group of away followers. To an extent City Elite were doing a fair job, but their influence seems to have plateau'd out. Is there a way the club could assist in the encouraging of City Elite to "mine" a couple of hundred more young'uns to hit the road regularly? Other clubs are managing it, irrespective of results! 

You need to be very careful if you think legacy fans should be replaced with kids.

The natural cycle of life dictates that the 16-30 age range have less cash, are more inclined to move away from Norfolk (university, job, romance) and are more likely to replace football with another interest (partner\children).

I'll bet that the 350 that travelled to Swansea was made up mostly of legacy fans. 

1 hour ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I’m not pretending anything.

Look at CUSDP table above. And then tell me when Norwich were last as low as 15th best away supported club in the championship.

You’re focusing on ‘noise’ instead look at facts and current trends 👍

If you are not considering the impact of train strikes / engineering works (and other travel difficulties) then, you too, are ignoring facts.

Just now, NewNestCarrow said:

If you are not considering the impact of train strikes / engineering works (and other travel difficulties) then, you too, are ignoring facts.

They happen every year at this time, and are not exclusive to fans of Norwich City.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

They happen every year at this time, and are not exclusive to fans of Norwich City.

1) Train strikes do not happen every year. 

2) The thread is about NCFC's away following. Delia no longer being in control will have precisely zero effect on away gates of other clubs.

My home & away attendance this season has been affected by travel difficulties. Your wish to only consider your point of view does not change this fact.

27 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

How would you encourage youngsters to go? I must be good at it because both my kids go and three of the grandkids go. None of us go away very often though. Those who sit/stand near City Elite don't really factor that in in as a positive or negative. But it seems the drum is loved on the streams. 

There are so many different reasons already listed on here. But I suspect a late play-off push would cure all. Cost is prohibitive though. Especially for youngsters. Where are they supposed to find an extra £100 every fortnight? I know I couldn't. Maybe the more wealthy fans who aren't going could sponsor a youngster's day out?

11 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Where are you looking!!

You’re a fully subscribed 80/20 percent believer, aren’t you.

I'm looking on here.

Why are you too shy to add your reasons to the mix?

1 minute ago, NewNestCarrow said:

1) Train strikes do not happen every year

2) The thread is about NCFC's away following. Delia no longer being in control will have precisely zero effect on away gates of other clubs.

My home & away attendance this season has been affected by travel difficulties. Your wish to only consider your point of view does not change this fact.

1) Ok, I meant train disruptions. Which do happen every year. 

2) Certain factors are being used to justify a drop in Norwich City attendances. These factors are present at other clubs, yet the numbers remain steady. I’m surprised that didn’t come across as obvious. 

3) Of course, there will always be outliers will all stats and trends.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

But I suspect a late play-off push would cure all. 

Of course it would. I’m only reading this thread at a cursory level , but if we were doing well , rail strikes , cost of living , Boxing Day wouldn’t make any difference. We would sell our allocation out . 

We aren’t doing well. We are 12th. So other than the glorious die hard fans who deserve full credit , the demand is falling . 

Get to Wembley and we sell 30,000 tickets. Wouldn’t matter if it was in the deepest recession or if they moved Wembley to Scotland . Still sell out. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Not shy.. they’re just the same as the majority. And you know exactly what that is.. but playing some weird club apologist role. 

I don't know what yours are. And I also don't know what everyone elses are. You claiming to know and being part of a fabled majority is ridiculous. I bet you imagine yourself as a 20%er but in reality you aren't any such thing. 

1 hour ago, NewNestCarrow said:

You need to be very careful if you think legacy fans should be replaced with kids.

The natural cycle of life dictates that the 16-30 age range have less cash, are more inclined to move away from Norfolk (university, job, romance) and are more likely to replace football with another interest (partner\children).

I'll bet that the 350 that travelled to Swansea was made up mostly of legacy fans. 

How about those moving to Norwich for Uni? Those relocating to buy their first house whilst still commuting to London? Those now moving from parenting very young kids, who need another outlet in their lives? I hear what you say, even if there is more churn, you cannot rely on "legacy" supporters. That way builds in an inevitable decline. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I wonder what the 750 Elite fans think of it ?

Well I’m going but you aren’t haha

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

I wonder what the 750 Elite fans think of it ?

I am not a member of that anymore despite my elitist shareholder position. I will be taking up some hospitality at Millwall tomorrow so won't show up in the declared away attendance. Please feel free to add plus 2 to the declared away attendance.

12 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I am not a member of that anymore despite my elitist shareholder position. I will be taking up some hospitality at Millwall tomorrow so won't show up in the declared away attendance. Please feel free to add plus 2 to the declared away attendance.

We cannot wait for the thread once you get back about the wonders of Millwall hospitality and how Norwich pale into insignificance. Could Millwall be the new Luton, Burnley or as we read yesterday Dagenham and Redbridge as a stick to beat the club with?