What did Wagner slip into McCallum's water bottle at half time in the Ipswich game, and again in this game?

Big decisions immediately ahead regarding the left-back position, I think, with contracts running out. 

1 hour ago, canarybubbles said:

What did Wagner slip into McCallum's water bottle at half time in the Ipswich game, and again in this game?

Big decisions immediately ahead regarding the left-back position, I think, with contracts running out. 

McCallum’s playing for his contract, I’ll be really surprised if we renew Dimi, he’s probably on very high wages and he’s always blown hot and cold for us.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

McCallum’s playing for his contract, I’ll be really surprised if we renew Dimi, he’s probably on very high wages and he’s always blown hot and cold for us.

At championship levels, Dimi has been very consistent. He’s the one I’d rather keep tbh.

• Like 2

Hit the ground running when he came on at H/T yesterday. His goal shows how good he actually is in the air. Giannoulis looks good when he gets involved passing moves and slaloms forwards, but McCallum brings a bit more physicality and also gets a good cross in. Hopefully the latter can maintain the level of performance if he gets a run in the team.

• Like 1

Dimi is our of contract next year, he is good but so is Sam. Sam also gets into more advanced attacking areas and I think he is younger. 

Best to sell Dimi and recruit a lb as back up to Sam. 

Same with Ben Gibson. Sell him January as he will go for free in the summer.

Dimi's a good footballer, but he's a bit fragile, physically & mentally. Opposition players know this & will go after him - Whatmore (?) made a cynical & disgusting tackle on him when we played Watford (went for his standing leg - should have been sent off) & later on one of their midfielders ran around after him, kicking out several times. Unsurprisingly he gets wound up & has been close to getting sent off himself.

McCallum has been awesome since Ipswich 2nd half, I couldn't believe he stayed on against Ipswich, he was so poor, but it's like someone flicked a switch. I wonder if he's a lazy player, only turns it on when he feels in danger of disappearing off the map? I hope not, because he's shown he's got real talent. Another Idah type conundrum to solve perhaps.

10 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Dimi is our of contract next year, he is good but so is Sam. Sam also gets into more advanced attacking areas and I think he is younger. 

Best to sell Dimi and recruit a lb as back up to Sam. 

Same with Ben Gibson. Sell him January as he will go for free in the summer.

It seems that we have a necessity to unload our highest earners, and both Giannoulis and Gibson are reportedly amongst them.

The problem might well be garnering decent interest as many clubs will need to unload as well and there will be many players available. Giannoulis might well get interest back in his homeland, but who knows? Gibson wouldn't get much interest from any team above mid-Chumps I suspect. Neither are likely to bring in big fees, and we might well have to agree to make up the wages deficits until their Carrow Road contracts finally expire in the Summer.

In that case, it would be better to retain them.

In sum, there's little money to be had from either, and the only benefit would be an eventual drop in the overall wages bill. They will then need replacing, and the most economical way of doing this is from the Academy or the scouts/DofF's ability to spot a cheap gem from below.

Mccallums best performance in a norwich shirt by a country mile however one swallow doesn’t make a summer, he’ll be in a few weeks now let’s see how he does 

dimi’s the better player 

Edited by Yobocop
  • Like 1

I said in the summer that I like McCallum, and I would've kept him, binned Giannoulis and signed a new left back. McCallum put in some very good performances last season, but the problem was that he put in several bad ones too. 

That's the issue with McCallum, as it always has been. He's just extremely inconsistent, but if he can sort out that, he'll be a very good player for us.

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:

Mccallums best performance in a norwich shirt by a country mile however one swallow doesn’t make a summer, he’ll be in a few weeks now let’s see how he does 

dimi’s the better player 

Agree… that Huddersfield chance at the end shows McCallum’s’ frailty defensively, so easily turned… needs to really work on not committing and keeping the attacker on the outside.

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It seems that we have a necessity to unload our highest earners, and both Giannoulis and Gibson are reportedly amongst them.

The problem might well be garnering decent interest as many clubs will need to unload as well and there will be many players available. Giannoulis might well get interest back in his homeland, but who knows? Gibson wouldn't get much interest from any team above mid-Chumps I suspect. Neither are likely to bring in big fees, and we might well have to agree to make up the wages deficits until their Carrow Road contracts finally expire in the Summer.

In that case, it would be better to retain them.

In sum, there's little money to be had from either, and the only benefit would be an eventual drop in the overall wages bill. They will then need replacing, and the most economical way of doing this is from the Academy or the scouts/DofF's ability to spot a cheap gem from below.

An almost certainty.

I cannot for the life of me think why any club would buy a player with 6 months left ion their contract. Peter the Pole and Lungi are also out of contract. I expect them to leave in June. Much as Batth and Forshaw who are out of contract.

McCallum is the concern as he is worth keeping, but out of contract come June i can only see a move to the PL or a relegated club offering him a better deal

I think McCallum is a potential candidate for the LCB role in a few years. He is good in the air, okay on the ball. Coach him on positioning and tackling and over the next couple of seasons and I think he will be a good LCB candidate.

I also base this wild statement on a performance for QPR at Bramall Lane a couple of seasons ago. Due to the game state, Beale went on all out attack, but had McCallum as the sole CB. He handled that really well and Beale used him as the conduit for all his instructions to players - he showed a maturity that I have been really surprised he hasn't demonstrated at Norwich.

So, I think he is more versatile than Dimi who I would expect has an agent looking to get him in to a top European club. 

I think McCallum will come good consistently.

I think this one to file under 'review later' as it really does depend on what league we're in. The probability is that it will be the Chump again, in which case I'd like to keep both.

What league? I'll have some of what your on.  Automatic not off the record, we have been on revent run of results against leagues poorer sides, bigger tests to come.

If I remember right a few seasons back he did seem to have a few top Prem clubs sniffing around asking about him so clearly they saw something in him. Is rather odd he had such a poor and sloppy start against the binners only to then seemingly just flip a switch and start playing like a man reborn. Not complaning of course and long may it continue

It’s a no brainier if he wants to sign, we need to keep at least one left back! McCullum is on far lower wages and has potential to develop.

We do see that there are too many CB on high wages not really contributing, we’re playing McLean at CB for Christ sake! Get rid of Batth, Gibson and Duffy, all probably on higher end wages! Hanley back and Warner can cover the back line! We really need to develop a side around Rowe, McCullum, Sargent, Sara, Nunez, Sainz and Fisher, the rest I really could say I’m too bothered if they left, but we really need to build on our best! I know we’ll end up selling a few to raise funds but I’m optimistic that we might just hold out and keep them unless daft bid comes in!

Edited by Indy