Jim Smith

The positives and negatives from yesterday

Obvious positive is 14 years and counting. The players were up for it and committed. They look like they care. We looked dangerous in attack and Sainz had another promising outing.

The negatives are that Wagner got almost everything tactically wrong and yet still got away with it so I doubt he will learn. The 4-4-2 was suicidal, in the first half gave Ipswich too much space in the areas they like to exploit and we were fortunate they did not punish us more during that spell. The substitutions were also highly dubious again. Idah should have been off half an hour earlier for another midfielder as he did nothing at all second half and it was like playing with ten men.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Barnes is a great leader and motivator while on the pitch but the bloke could hardly walk nevermind run by the 60th minute, no clue why Wagner thought he could last the entire match

The thing is he's not fit. But we only have one fit striker. There's no real option from the bench. I also think it's fair to say without him and especially Duffy we'd have lost.

If we get Sarge and Hwang properly fit we will have far better options especially from the bench.

• Like 3

"Wagner got almost everything tactically wrong"

Or he totally out-thought McKenna? Their manager certainly had no clue how to respond once we got our noses in front. The slightly lucky equaliser cut off the rising tide of criticism of him from the bluenoses. Wagner's subs, whilst not exactly setting us up to go for their throats, certainly countered anything McKenna tried to do.

I know Barnes has started getting a bit of stick recently but lets look at our record with and without him in the squad. With him we've gotten 22 points from 13 games, without him it's 7 points from 9 games. I know it's not all down to him and the form of others plays a part but that's comfortable play off form vs relegation form. If you include the league cup it's another 2 wins with him v Championship opposition as well. He's one of those players who lifts others around him and inspires confidence, what he does might not be obvious to people watching at times but the difference in results when he plays vs when he doesn't is pretty stark and I don't think it's a co-incidence. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The thing is he's not fit. But we only have one fit striker. There's no real option from the bench. I also think it's fair to say without him and especially Duffy we'd have lost.

If we get Sarge and Hwang properly fit we will have far better options especially from the bench.

Duffy was superb yesterday I thought, he’s found some form again recently, he’s not great with the ball at his feet but his blocks and aerial presence are outstanding.

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Obvious positive is 14 years and counting. The players were up for it and committed. They look like they care. We looked dangerous in attack and Sainz had another promising outing.

The negatives are that Wagner got almost everything tactically wrong and yet still got away with it so I doubt he will learn. The 4-4-2 was suicidal, in the first half gave Ipswich too much space in the areas they like to exploit and we were fortunate they did not punish us more during that spell. The substitutions were also highly dubious again. Idah should have been off half an hour earlier for another midfielder as he did nothing at all second half and it was like playing with ten men.

I don’t think he got everything tactically wrong personally, I’m no fan of his system but I thought he picked the right players before kickoff. The main joy they were getting first half was exploiting McCallum who was really poor. Second half McCallum was like a different player and we looked much more solid.

I also think you’re wrong on Idah personally, I’d have took Barnes off and left Idah on for that last period personally. Barnes looked shot and Idah offered an out ball either in the channels or backing into players as he’s faster and stronger than Barnes. We invited so much pressure that last 10+ mins as the ball just came back every time.

• Like 1

I haven’t followed the Binners and don’t know any of their players. Seems from reading reports they haven’t had any injuries. The guy Slaphead with the dodgy fringe looked like a mid table player , and Morsy looked a bit on the lardy side. 
See how good McKenna is when he has to name a few kids on the bench. 

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Nope. Wagner got a lot right.

Thank god he didn't listen to you and take Idah off half an hour earlier or their entire back 4 could have pushed up to the half way line and suffocated us.

Idah didn't receive the ball enough but it's typical of football fans to not acknowledge what a CF can do in simply occupying defenders.

Wagner had no real substitute quality to impact the game yet managed to make subs that still kept us solid and bar the Barnes mistake of holding onto it too long I didnt feel like Ipswich were causing us any real trouble in that second half.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

"Wagner got almost everything tactically wrong"

Or he totally out-thought McKenna? Their manager certainly had no clue how to respond once we got our noses in front. The slightly lucky equaliser cut off the rising tide of criticism of him from the bluenoses. Wagner's subs, whilst not exactly setting us up to go for their throats, certainly countered anything McKenna tried to do.

He did not. The huge hole in our midfield first half (admittedly we tightened up a bit second half) should have been and very nearly was exploited and that result is no vindication at all for the way we set up which was idiotic. Fact is we have some good players who turned up and that was enough to earn us a point but we played little or no progressive football. I was pleased enough with the result in the circumstances but that 4-4-2 will continue to get exploited and it pains me that we appear stuck with it. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

He did not. The huge hole in our midfield first half (admittedly we tightened up a bit second half) should have been and very nearly was exploited and that result is no vindication at all for the way we set up which was idiotic. Fact is we have some good players who turned up and that was enough to earn us a point but we played little or no progressive football. I was pleased enough with the result in the circumstances but that 4-4-2 will continue to get exploited and it pains me that we appear stuck with it. 

When we are without the ball we are never in a 4-4-2 so if that is what you were seeing then it's kind of pointless discussing further.

• Like 1

I hope Wagner noted what he said to McCallum at half-time.

Sam went from being a total liability, to a fairly competent left back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Nope. Wagner got a lot right.

Thank god he didn't listen to you and take Idah off half an hour earlier or their entire back 4 could have pushed up to the half way line and suffocated us.

Idah didn't receive the ball enough but it's typical of football fans to not acknowledge what a CF can do in simply occupying defenders.

Wagner had no real substitute quality to impact the game yet managed to make subs that still kept us solid and bar the Barnes mistake of holding onto it too long I didnt feel like Ipswich were causing us any real trouble in that second half.

Idah was occupying nobody. He was utterly useless in that second half. Looked shot to peices.

Wagner got incredibly lucky yesterday because Ipswich missed those chances during the spell they were on top (and exploiting the space between our defence and midfield quite predictably) and then Rowe scored which killed their momentum. I admit we looked quite dangerous going forward first half but commitment aside that performance is no blueprint for future success. 

• Like 1

McCallum actually set the situation for the 1st goal up, his run down the left and cross which just evaded Rowe's initial dive created the havoc in the Binner's defence. It wasn't all bad in the 1st half.

I agree he dived in 2 or 3 times in that first half and got sold down the river as a result. That is to be expected after being out for a while, it being a derby too. One of his colleagues (Kenny?) should have "briefed" him on that after the first missed attempt.

But he did well once we equalised and the Binners lost their sense of purpose.  

Edited by shefcanary

Unfortunately with both Sargent and Hwang injured we had nothing on the bench to carry on as an attacking force from 70 mins onwards when both Idah and Barnes ran out of steam,  moreso when Rowe went off.

In hindsight could we have started with Barnes up top and then replaced him with a fresh Idah for the last 20?

Could it have made a difference? , he has as a sub at Cardiff and Bristol City

Who knows?....but when Sargent and Hwang are back, I suspect this will be Idah's role in any case

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Idah was occupying nobody. He was utterly useless in that second half. Looked shot to peices.

Wagner got incredibly lucky yesterday because Ipswich missed those chances during the spell they were on top (and exploiting the space between our defence and midfield quite predictably) and then Rowe scored which killed their momentum. I admit we looked quite dangerous going forward first half but commitment aside that performance is no blueprint for future success. 

Totally agree with you. In the circumstances of the season to date, a point there was celebrated like a win almost and rightly so. However, the fragile nature of the line up and little threat going forward continues to be very worrying. We survived but they should have been out of sight by half time. Performances still need a significant improvement if we are to reach the play off spots (and stay there).

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

In hindsight could we have started with Barnes up top and then replaced him with a fresh Idah for the last 20?

Could it have made a difference? , he has as a sub at Cardiff and Bristol City

Who knows?....but when Sargent and Hwang are back, I suspect this will be Idah's role in any case

100% this. Idah’s had very limited effectiveness in the three starts he’s had since Bristol City. It should be fairly obvious to DW that his best role is as a final third sub, when he can use his pace advantage against tiring defenders. I guess he just doesn’t see Fassnacht/Gibbs as viable No.10s with Barnes pushed further up. 

13 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

McCallum actually set the situation for the 1st goal up, his run down the left and cross which just evaded Rowe's initial dive created the havoc in the Binner's defence. It wasn't all bad in the 1st half.

I agree he dived in 2 or 3 times in that first half and got sold down the river as a result. That is to be expected after being out for a while, it being a derby too. One of his colleagues (Kenny?) should have "briefed" him on that after the first missed attempt.

But he did well once we equalised and the Binners lost their sense of purpose.  

Mccullum had a good second half and also did a fair amount of good stuff going forward in the first half. But a touch alarming to see him jogging back about 40 yards behind the play on two or three occasions when they broke down the right wing in the first half. I’m not sure how he was so far out of position on those occasions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

We're still 10 points clear of third 😁

The picture will look very different in a week and a halfs time when Leeds and Leicester both smash you....and then when Leicester do it a second time in a few weeks

2 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Yes, but it also asked for negatives. One of those is you being on here.

Bless you, im here to stay 

2 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

I have done for the last few years on and off, not for provocation, just to have healthy conversation about our two clubs ! 

That's what they all say.

The moderators on your board know they can't rely on your lot to keep it that way

9 minutes ago, JUBWICKS75 said:

I guess the negative is we won't have a derby game at Portman Road for a few years after this season 😁

No. I think you’re too good to go down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I haven’t followed the Binners and don’t know any of their players. Seems from reading reports they haven’t had any injuries. The guy Slaphead with the dodgy fringe looked like a mid table player , and Morsy looked a bit on the lardy side. 
See how good McKenna is when he has to name a few kids on the bench. 

Are you sure you are a football fan? only you seem to be a little bit lacking in....er basic football knowledge. 

53 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

That's what they all say.

The moderators on your board know they can't rely on your lot to keep it that way

How else would I get an excellent community rating otherwise?