Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Today’s Ref

Have to give credit to the refereeing today - others might have gone card-crazy but he was sensible, calm and consistent.  Can’t really think of many incidents he got wrong. 

• Like 4

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Have to give credit to the refereeing today - others might have gone card-crazy but he was sensible, calm and consistent.  Can’t really think of many incidents he got wrong. 

On balance I agree. But felt he needed to stop Ipswich fouling us at corners earlier. And Morsey should have been in the book for the foul on Barnes in the first half. 

• Like 1

Agree, thought he was excellent. Kept control and let it flow - can’t remember an overly contentious decision 

Thought he was brilliant at keeping the game flowing but a little bit lenient with some of the Ipswich challenges.

• Like 1

Just now, S_81 said:

On balance I agree. But felt he needed to stop Ipswich fouling us at corners earlier. And Morsey should have been in the book for the foul on Barnes in the first half. 

Indeed - but we got away with several too. Consistency is the key.

Have to agree, first 10 or 15 minutes he looked like being a homer, but as the game went on he clearly understood a Derby game. 

1 minute ago, S_81 said:

Defenders not even pretending to watch the ball and some serious holding and shoving first half. Refs need to sort it out as its getting worse. Do that anywhere else on the pitch and it's a foul so why not at corners? And generally off the ball too. 

As a ref myself I really enjoyed watching that. The players responded well to being allowed to get on with it and play physically without being over the top. Lenient without being weak, very consistent and used common sense throughout.

The one by Morsy in the first half would probably have been a yellow nine times out of ten, but so would Barnes's on the keeper early on, so again he was consistent there.

The only ones I thought he got wrong were Morsy buying a free-kick on the edge of the box near the end, Barnes barely touched him and the ref had let loads of similar challenges go.

Then the foul on Stacey right near the end I thought was a bit naughty and at least a yellow, as the player led with his arm. Stacey didn't make a meal of it though, which helped the player to get away with it.

Overall, superb performance, 9/10 for me.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

As a ref myself I really enjoyed watching that. The players responded well to being allowed to get on with it and play physically without being over the top. Lenient without being weak, very consistent and used common sense throughout.

The one by Morsy in the first half would probably have been a yellow nine times out of ten, but so would Barnes's on the keeper early on, so again he was consistent there.

The only ones I thought he got wrong were Morsy buying a free-kick on the edge of the box near the end, Barnes barely touched him and the ref had let loads of similar challenges go.

Then the foul on Stacey right near the end I thought was a bit naughty and at least a yellow, as the player led with his arm. Stacey didn't make a meal of it though, which helped the player to get away with it.

Overall, superb performance, 9/10 for me.

If you're a ref yourself, isn't Barnes standing on Morsy's foot a foul? Was a clear foul, the ref getting a decision bang on

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

If you're a ref yourself, isn't Barnes standing on Morsy's foot a foul? Was a clear foul, the ref getting a decision bang on

There were loads of other little ones like that which he let go, didn't look like there was much in it to me but maybe I need to watch it again. Technically there was a foul on McCallum in the build-up to Ipswich's second goal, but in the context of the game it was very minor and he let it go, so he was being really consistent throughout.

The key takeaway, though, is that it's great to see people praising a referee and pretty much universally acknowledging an excellent performance.

Last weekend a referee got knocked out by a chairman in the Turkish top flight, and in Norfolk a referee got attacked by a parent at an under-13s match. Really important that we take the time to focus on the positives when a ref has an excellent game, because a lot of football fans are hard-wired to remember the decisions that went against their team without any real understanding of how hard refereeing is, and how arbitrary and 'grey' a lot of decision-making is.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Let's be honest, that was never a red card in a million years. 

Okay - but a definite yellow, that wasn't given. Considering that it was a derby and all that I thought the ref had a good game too overall. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard