Sign in to follow this  
Positive_Canary

Ipswich captain Morsy not wearing rainbow armband

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Could you say who? Just so I can organise my trips to the bar more effectively. 😉 

If you want to start a list then I'll say Billy Bragg

1 hour ago, nu_matik said:

Nobody is forcing anyone. That's the problem, the repeated nonsense that this is about force.

It isn't about force. It's about professional responsibility to one's platform, that there are campaigns such as this one that are larger than individual opinion. 

As someone raised earlier, there are still out gay footballers. There is still homophobia on the terraces.

Unless you're just lazy and aren't that bothered, I suppose showing support for that makes you one thing or another.

And like clockwork the toxic insinuations come out. I've spent a long time in Cambodia which tore itself apart because a politically certain, morally "pure" Left wing regime took power who brooked no dissent. My girlfriend wouldn't exist today had her teacher father not managed to escape the political purity police.

Read some Havel, Frankl or Solzhenitsyn if you want a glimpse of where this "if you don't performatively support us, we'll assume you must be against us " mentality leads. Read some philosophy and moral and evolutionary psychology as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nu_matik said:

Nobody is forcing anyone. That's the problem, the repeated nonsense that this is about force.

It isn't about force. It's about professional responsibility to one's platform, that there are campaigns such as this one that are larger than individual opinion. 

As someone raised earlier, there are still out gay footballers. There is still homophobia on the terraces.

Unless you're just lazy and aren't that bothered, I suppose showing support for that makes you one thing or another.

But it is about expecting, demanding, emotionally blackmailing, shaming and bullying people in to doing it, with the implicit threat of cancelling those who don’t publicly endorse the latest woke orthodoxy.  Sadly this is the MO of the left these days.  Authoritarianism in action.

• Like 3

Could not agree more with N..Cyncic.

Free speech and thought should be the order of the day.

I dont want or need to be told what to think.

I'll make my own mind up.

But for me, for instance, Black Lives Matters is clearly a racist organisation. The clue is in the title.

Change it to ALL lives and I'm there.

Also, for me, if Morsy came here as a quality DM I would take him tomorrow.    Get a life.   Separate football from politics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nu_matik said:

Yes, Norwich has anti-trans fans and posters on here and at least it's easy to spot them so we know who's who. Awful, really, but sadly not surprising.  There is a still a lot of work to do, clearly.

There's some stupid posts on this thread (namely the "all lives matter" ones) but I'm yet to see anything remotely anti-trans. Unless you can show differently?

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

There's some stupid posts on this thread (namely the "all lives matter" ones) but I'm yet to see anything remotely anti-trans. Unless you can show differently?

Of course they can’t. Somebody has disagreed with their (narrow) world view and they lack the ability to debate the subject, so they resort to throwing out accusations of various prejudices in order to imply that persons opinion shouldn’t be taken seriously or responded to. When asked to provide evidence of this bigotry they’ll suddenly go quiet or change the subject

2 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Not one person I know would associate the pride flag with politics.

Many people now see the pride flag as being rather political due to the actions of groups I’ve mentioned such as Stonewall. It’s only within the last decade this has begun to happen but unfortunately that’s now the case.

8 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Of course they can’t. Somebody has disagreed with their (narrow) world view and they lack the ability to debate the subject, so they resort to throwing out accusations of various prejudices in order to imply that persons opinion shouldn’t be taken seriously or responded to. When asked to provide evidence of this bigotry they’ll suddenly go quiet or change the subject

They enjoy it. As Andrew Doyle (ironically enough a gay man) has written, they are the new Puritans.

5 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Because a group wants equality that makes it racist? Yeah. Ok.

That's in line with the tories wanting to pass a bill that make all nationalists terrorists.

It was a stupid fad imported from the States thanks to social media that had no resemblance to life in Britain today. Marching towards our unarmed police with their hands up chanting don’t shoot should have seen them widely mocked or ignored rather than indulged.

In my opinion it made race relations worse in the UK while it was going on due to people understandably getting defensive about being accused of being racist when they clearly weren’t just because they didn’t blindly copy the performative aspects of it, but thankfully now it’s all seemingly blown over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, If wed kept Howie.. said:

aren't you all missing the point..

he's a binner and therefore whatever his reasoning for doing it... he's in the wrong - because he's a binner

I do feel rather dirty for trying to defend one. I must be going soft in my autumn years 

7 hours ago, nu_matik said:

Yes, Norwich has anti-trans fans and posters on here and at least it's easy to spot them so we know who's who. Awful, really, but sadly not surprising.  There is a still a lot of work to do, clearly.

What do you class as anti trans? If I believe that certain spaces should be reserved for biological females (women’s sports, women’s prisons, women’s refuge shelters etc) does that make me bigoted and anti trans in your opinion? 

21 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

It was a stupid fad imported from the States thanks to social media that had no resemblance to life in Britain today. Marching towards our unarmed police with their hands up chanting don’t shoot should have seen them widely mocked or ignored rather than indulged.

In my opinion it made race relations worse in the UK while it was going on due to people understandably getting defensive about being accused of being racist when they clearly weren’t just because they didn’t blindly copy the performative aspects of it, but thankfully now it’s all seemingly blown over.

The "Americanisation" of British culture and politics has sadly posioned and ruined our country for countless generations if not forever.

I think I speak for many when I say that if America did not exist the world would be a much better place

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

The "Americanisation" of British culture and politics has sadly posioned and ruined our country for countless generations if not forever.

I think I speak for many when I say that if America did not exist the world would be a much better place

I take your point, but without the USA it’s almost certain that Germany would have prevailed in WWII and clearly that wouldn’t have been a good thing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I take your point, but without the USA it’s almost certain that Germany would have prevailed in WWII and clearly that wouldn’t have been a good thing.

You have a point. Guess there would also not have been a serious counter to the Reds in Russia either letting them expand forever, well until they fight to the death with those wacky German workers party members

Suppose that's the issue with changing time.. Just one small change and everything else changes along with it

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Could you say who? Just so I can organise my trips to the bar more effectively. 😉 

Didn't even get the name. Wish I had so I can avoid them myself 🙄

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

If anyone is against social injustices and equality they have a screw loose.

Has anyone here weaponised the term "Woke" yet? That's a good way of detecting a-holes from the non a-holes.

As far as making the world a better place. Earth would be a better place without human beings.

You’re entitled to your opinion, just as others are entitled to theirs, but there’s no need to resort to juvenile and abusive name-calling.

17 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

Has anyone here weaponised the term "Woke" yet? That's a good way of detecting a-holes from the non a-holes.

As far as making the world a better place. Earth would be a better place without human beings.

Nobody is against it, they just disagree on the ways to go about achieving it. Pressure, abuse and pointless gestures in my opinion achieve very little except antagonism towards the cause. I never saw any backlash against Kick It Out and they achieved a thousand times more in regards to eradicating racism than BLM ever managed 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

If you want to start a list then I'll say Billy Bragg

It definitely wasn't Bragg. If it was I would have walked out before he opened his mouth. Presonal preference  and all that. 

11 hours ago, Positive_Canary said:

It's clear that you have an agenda here. My point is that someone who wants to benefit from the mainstream of our society as a very well paid sportsman, does not want to actively play his part in promoting inclusion for the historically excluded within that same society. If he played for us I wouldn't want him anywhere near the captain's armband. 

Basically you are a fascist demanding we act the way you determine we should act without us ever exercising personal choice. 

23 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Didn't Zimmermann refuse to take the knee?

And whatever happened to all that squit.

Complete waste of time.

Just get on with the football.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nu_matik said:

What do you mean by 'work to do'?

59 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

I wake up every day and nobody says anything about it..

7 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

What do you mean by 'work to do'?

They're going to go around slicing people's junk off to make more appropriate people 

I will go back to my original point. Why the hell are footballers being made out to be the arbiters of social ideals. A football player is paid to kick or head a ball. They are not paid for their IQ and for some of them that's a blessing. I'm on here because obviously I like football. I will never say a football player is my hero let alone my role model. 

8 hours ago, Haus said:

The bible also says, you having a tattoo is an abomination, also says wearing clothes made of mixed material is an abomination, it says eating seafood is an abomination.  Theres loads and loads of these.   Christians don't get as outraged about these things as they do about people being gay. (its almost as if the issue isn't the religion at all)  These books were written thousands of years ago by people and having an imaginary friend is no excuse to discriminate against people

A thousand years ago it may have been very wise advice not to eat seafood. You have to read and understand things in the context of the times they were written. 

It's similar to laughing about somebody using a Commodore 64 computer in 1980

16 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

What if the majority at the club doesn’t want to wear the rainbow stuff, should he still be forced to?

What if the argument is nothing to do with gay rights, but instead on the trans debate? Perhaps he’s showing solidarity with the clubs women's side who feel that the implementation of trans groups policies who fly that flag would be detrimental to the women’s game?

It should be discussed and agreed behind closed doors, once agreed you follow the party line.  Not really tricky.

12 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Maybe the club aren't bothered?

Maybe they aren’t and in which case there is no problem at all.