Sign in to follow this  
Positive_Canary

Ipswich captain Morsy not wearing rainbow armband

He’s free to do as he pleases. The rainbow insignia has become synonymous with political groups such as Stonewall which he may not like so he doesn’t want to be seen as supporting them.

Just because he doesn’t want to wear it doesn’t automatically mean he’s homophobic.

I also hate you for making me defend a binner

Edited by Fen Canary

Surely these things should be a personal choice? If they're forced into it it both goes against what it stands for and defeats the purpose.

Nothing to see here. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

He’s free to do as he pleases. The rainbow insignia has become synonymous with political groups such as Stonewall which he may not like so he doesn’t want to be seen as supporting them.

Just because he doesn’t want to wear it doesn’t automatically mean he’s homophobic.

I also hate you for making me defend a binner

He represents their entire squad

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Positive_Canary said:

And? Maybe some members of their squad are uncomfortable with the performative aspect of it all. If you believe an armband is representative of all 11 players on the pitch then it’s only right they should all be in agreement surely?

Until he gives his reasons for not wearing it then I’m not going to automatically assume it’s because he goes queer bashing on his days off

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fen Canary said:

And? Maybe some members of their squad are uncomfortable with the performative aspect of it all. If you believe an armband is representative of all 11 players on the pitch then it’s only right they should all be in agreement surely?

Until he gives his reasons for not wearing it then I’m not going to automatically assume it’s because he goes queer bashing on his days off

Mixed messages. Maybe he just doesn't care

2 minutes ago, Positive_Canary said:

Mixed messages. Maybe he just doesn't care

How is it mixed messages when he hasn’t said a word on the subject? Looks to me more like the permanently offended social types trying to stoke the latest faux outrage 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Positive_Canary said:

Then that might be the representative view and not his then?

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Anti-homophobia is not politics; it's human rights. Same goes for anti-racism campaigns.

Unfortunately when they become politicised by groups such as Stonewall or BLM then that’s no longer the case. The reason Kick It Out never received the backlash that the kneeling gesture did was because it was strictly apolitical and quietly got on with achieving actual progress on the issue of racism, as opposed to the performative nature of BLM

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Unfortunately when they become politicised by groups such as Stonewall or BLM then that’s no longer the case. The reason Kick It Out never received the backlash that the kneeling gesture did was because it was strictly apolitical and quietly got on with achieving actual progress on the issue of racism, as opposed to the performative nature of BLM

I'm not talking about Stonewall, Kick It Out or Black Lives Matter. I'm just speaking generally, and saying that anti-racism and anti-homophobia are human rights issues, not politics. 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm not talking about Stonewall, Kick It Out or Black Lives Matter. I'm just speaking generally, and saying that anti-racism and anti-homophobia are human rights issues, not politics. 

I agree, that’s why they need to stop being politicised by groups such as the two I mentioned.

The UK however is probably the most tolerant in the world when it comes to race and sexual orientation so constantly berating people as racist homophobic bigots often has the opposite effect to what was intended 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Didn't Zimmermann refuse to take the knee?

Rightly

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I agree, that’s why they need to stop being politicised by groups such as the two I mentioned.

The UK however is probably the most tolerant in the world when it comes to race and sexual orientation so constantly berating people as racist homophobic bigots often has the opposite effect to what was intended 

Genuine question, how are they being politicised? 

This isn't me argumentative, because I honestly don't know. I've seen it said several times before, but I've never actually seen an explanation why.

12 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Genuine question, how are they being politicised? 

This isn't me argumentative, because I honestly don't know. I've seen it said several times before, but I've never actually seen an explanation why.

Kick It Out and Stonewall (in its original guise) sought to win over a majority of the population to their cause with by stating and debating their case, changing minds incrementally over time. They didn’t get involved with politics or political parties above an absolute minimum to avoid the tribal aspect of it.

BLM in the states however aimed to be a political movement from the start, by proposing political policies such as defunding the police and openly backing and funding candidates to stand in elections. Stonewall now has inserted itself into many government departments and uses pressure to form policy even if that policy doesn’t align with the wishes of the majority of the population, the rules around trans rights being a prime example. It’s a complicated subject that needs the messy to and fro of parliament debate to find a solution everybody can tolerate but Stonewall try to circumvent that where they can.

Thats my take on it anyway 

5 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Kick It Out and Stonewall (in its original guise) sought to win over a majority of the population to their cause with by stating and debating their case, changing minds incrementally over time. They didn’t get involved with politics or political parties above an absolute minimum to avoid the tribal aspect of it.

BLM in the states however aimed to be a political movement from the start, by proposing political policies such as defunding the police and openly backing and funding candidates to stand in elections. Stonewall now has inserted itself into many government departments and uses pressure to form policy even if that policy doesn’t align with the wishes of the majority of the population, the rules around trans rights being a prime example. It’s a complicated subject that needs the messy to and fro of parliament debate to find a solution everybody can tolerate but Stonewall try to circumvent that where they can.

Fair enough, good answer. 

6 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Don't overcomplicate this. If Morsy wanted to support equal treatment for the LGBTQ+ community within his sport he would wear the armband. 

• Like 2

He is Egyptian isn't he? We are a tolerant country compared to 99% but that doesn't necessarily mean he sees everything the same. And I guess we should be tolerant of that?

• Like 1

So what, and if he gets a yellow tomorrow night he won't be playing against us anyway 🤣👌😁

6 minutes ago, Positive_Canary said:

Don't overcomplicate this. If Morsy wanted to support equal treatment for the LGBTQ+ community within his sport he would wear the armband. 

I’m not going to pretend I speak for the majority of gay people here, but the few I do know want nothing to do with the whole trans debate and don’t like the way it has latched itself onto the successful gay rights movement. If the seperate letters involved in that acronym can’t agree on matters why should others to whom it doesn’t apply be expected to support it unconditionally?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Keep politics out of football.

As long as we can keep t****rs off this message board.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He is Egyptian isn't he? We are a tolerant country compared to 99% but that doesn't necessarily mean he sees everything the same. And I guess we should be tolerant of that?

Only marriages between men and women are considered legitimate in Egypt. He presumably wants to maintain that stance despite living and working in the UK. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Anti-homophobia is not politics; it's human rights. Same goes for anti-racism campaigns.

Exactly this. Unbelievable that people here would confuse politics and human rights. I get 'freedom of speech ' but he isn't being asked to day anything. Players actions speak louder than words and their actions affect millions.

3 minutes ago, Positive_Canary said:

Only marriages between men and women are considered legitimate in Egypt. He presumably wants to maintain that stance despite living and working in the UK. 

If he’s said that then please show me the quote. Otherwise stop putting words in his mouth to try and prove a point 

38 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

As with everything e.g gay rights, racial equality, women's rights, etc, they have gotten hijacked by people who don't want equality, they want preferential treatment.

They don't get the irony.

Wow