Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Fever

Is Sunak losing his marbles?

2 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

The history is on Wikipedia. That's probably a much better place to consult if you are genuinely interested and have an open mind than here.

Purchased? Maybe not but there is good evidence that the ottomans were happy for him to remove them. The bigger question is probably whether or not the ottomans should have had a say

Lol.

"The history is on Wikipedia"

That actually explains a helluva lot.

13 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

That's the obvious solution, and I hope the one Starmer has in mind when he said he was open to a "loan".

I still find it unbearably crass that we are so arrogant as to believe we can "loan" something that we have no right over, but I guess it's as close to a decision as we can expect Sir Keir to make.

Just giving them back is probably the right thing to do but it opens the door to half the world seeking return of items or reparations resulting from our colonial past. Regardless of the rights and wrongs of it all we don't want that to happen. It seems Starmer has thought this through and has decided that the loan solution saves us from any unwanted consequences. 

Or am I just dreaming that we might soon have a prime minister with a brain?

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Lol.

"The history is on Wikipedia"

That actually explains a helluva lot.

Man I fell into that trap didn't I?  Fair play though, I didn't have you down as one of the role players on here!

37 minutes ago, Herman said:

Good on him, never been a fan of the the Royal Family and still aren't but always had a certain amount of respect for Charles - the only one as far as I can see who has a good brain and is prepared to put it to use in doing his bit to improve the country rather than trying to perpetuate the status quo indefinitely.

Suspect he is taking this particular opportunity, not just with respect to the marbles, but to show his contempt for Sunak generally and especially for  his backtracking and deceit about our climate crisis plan - sorry that should read 'our lack of a climate crisis plan'.

Edited by Creative Midfielder
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Good on him, never been a fan of the the Royal Family and still aren't but always had a certain amount of respect for Charles - the only one as far as I can see who has a good brain and is prepared to put it to use in doing his bit to improve the country rather than trying to perpetuate the status quo indefinitely.

Suspect he is taking this particular opportunity, not just with respect to the marbles, but to show his contempt for Sunak generally and especially for  his backtracking and deceit about our climate crisis plan - sorry that should read 'our lack of a climate crisis plan'.

I think there's more to it than that.  Charles's father was a member of the Greek royal family, born in Corfu the son of Prince Andrew of Greece 

Edited by benchwarmer

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

I think there's more to it than that.  Charles's father was a member of the Greek royal family, born in Corfu the son of Prince Andrew of Greece

Very fair point, and another good reason why he probably takes a very dim view of Sunak's recent marbles hissy fit.

3 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Very fair point, and another good reason why he probably takes a very dim view of Sunak's recent marbles hissy fit.

There's that and some unfinished business from the last COP too.

1 minute ago, Herman said:

There's that and some unfinished business from the last COP too.

Another very fair point 🙂

It seems a very reasonable working assumption that Charles really dislikes Sunak, and for very good reasons.

Much like the rest of us in fact 🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Another very fair point 🙂

It seems a very reasonable working assumption that Charles really dislikes Sunak, and for very good reasons.

Much like the rest of us in fact 🙂

The tories are world leading in the dislikeable stakes and Sunak is starting to overtake Johnson.😄

5 hours ago, Herman said:

The tories are world leading in the dislikeable stakes and Sunak is starting to overtake Johnson.😄

It's going to be a very quiet non-football section next year.

5 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

It's going to be a very quiet non-football section next year.

Depends how corporatist Starmer and co act if they get in.

7 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

He, as well as the Tories, whatever, will do as they are told by his Zionist hell raisers in the ME.

Jews rule the world?? How very 20th Century (1933-45 to be more precise)

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

If anyone needs more proof that antisemitism is alive and well in the West, it's that comments that NNHHI makes just pass without any censure whatsoever.

3 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Yeah I thought it was the lizard people!

On 01/12/2023 at 21:34, Herman said:

Does Sunak realise that he's absolutely miles out of his depth, especially when it comes to foreign policy?  His "I hope you win" cricket fan comment to Netanyahu was a schoolboy error and so was the Marbles fiasco.  It's been made to look as though he was the one who chose Cameron as Foreign Sec, but I doubt it.

Edited by benchwarmer

10 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

Does Sunak realise that he's absolutely miles out of his depth, especially when it comes to foreign policy?  His "I hope you win" comment to Netanyahu was a schoolboy error and so was the Marbles fiasco.  It's made to look as though he was the one who chose Cameron as Foreign Sec, but I doubt it.

I don't think Hunt was his choice either. (Tin-foil hat alert, the "establishment" are slowly taking back control?).

I get the feeling he's like one of these tech-bros, with an over belief in their own abilities and genius.

• Like 1