Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Kenny McLean is a liability

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Whilst conning this club out of 2 new contracts in the process. He must have one good agent

It's only really Webber (and a few fans) that he's conned. Webber has assembled this squad and continues to believe in it despite growing evidence that it simply doesn't compete at this level. McLean epitomises the low skill/high endeavour emphasis of our squad's 'development' and represents exactly where we've gone wrong. 

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

I'm not really speculating when it was discussed at both Leeds media side including from their ITKs as well as our side, and directly following came ANOTHER new contract for him when he already had years left. It doesn't take a genius to realise it was clearly genuine. And considering Farke is a big Kenny fan it's hardly surprising.

Again in this setup we don't get the best out of him but clearly we don't have anyone better. And Kenny always gets the brunt from the same few posters on here despite Sara spending 70 minutes walking around and occasionally dangling a leg out.

Nonsense. The facts are that despite being in his peak footballing years whilst at the club, he remains our player and hasn't moved to a bigger team or a higher league, so factually speaking nobody at a bigger or better team has felt he's a good player to sign enough to actually sign him. So you are 100% speculating. 

And as much as you're convinced the next manager will pick him week in week out, I'm also convinced that when he does leave Carrow Road it will not be for a better placed club and will be a significant step down.

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not really speculating when it was discussed at both Leeds media side including from their ITKs as well as our side, and directly following came ANOTHER new contract for him when he already had years left. It doesn't take a genius to realise it was clearly genuine. And considering Farke is a big Kenny fan it's hardly surprising.

Again in this setup we don't get the best out of him but clearly we don't have anyone better. And Kenny always gets the brunt from the same few posters on here despite Sara spending 70 minutes walking around and occasionally dangling a leg out.

Sara shouldnt be being played that deep either as he too isnt good defensively....but at least he contributes something offensively (6 or 7 goals this season?)

McLean doesnt even do that

...a master of none

• Like 1

What is interesting about Hoggy's "three managers have picked him" argument is that he doesn't mention Steve Clarke, who never picks him and has a Scotland team top of their group!

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

McLean is making up for Sara dangling legs out and walking about the pitch whilst outnumbered. He's also the only player willing to drive with the ball inevitably leaving space behind when another player f*cks it up.

7 or 8 problems before you get to Kenny.

Not having a defensive midfielder is a huge problem,  non of our midfield have the ability to sit and read the danger. But why were our 2 central defenders playing as full backs,  with our fullbacks further forward than our attackers. It was a mess just like everything else. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

What is interesting about Hoggy's "three managers have picked him" argument is that he doesn't mention Steve Clarke, who never picks him and has a Scotland team top of their group!

Nor mentions that when Wagner is sacked over the coming hours/days , those '3 managers' will all have lost their jobs in the space of 2 yrs for, in no small part not addressing/improving the midfield dept

Sometimes the fans can question a manager...and guess what? sometimes theyre right.

• Like 1

I’m no McLean lover, but I thought he actually is one of maybe three players with any credibility today! I’m at a loss to why Duffy is anywhere near the starting 11 luckily he’s suspended for the next game!

Stacey really is inconsistent, looks quality in some games and total pants in most others!

I’d start Fischer next game along with Warner, both look as though they have more to give with a run of games!

Also I’d drop that stupid wingers and pushing up the wing backs, if you play two wingers you don’t need wing backs!

Go back to a diamond midfield with two up top, I’d be playing the you can play wingbacks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Nor mentions that when Wagner is sacked over the coming hours/days , those '3 managers' will all have lost their jobs in the space of 2 yrs for, in no small part not addressing/improving the midfield dept

Sometimes the fans can question a manager...and guess what? sometimes theyre right.

I think it's more that Webber never wanted to spend 10 million on a defensive midfielder,  it would be hard to make money from. Did he sign Tettey? The rest have been loans . 

18 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Nonsense. The facts are that despite being in his peak footballing years whilst at the club, he remains our player and hasn't moved to a bigger team or a higher league, so factually speaking nobody at a bigger or better team has felt he's a good player to sign enough to actually sign him. So you are 100% speculating. 

And as much as you're convinced the next manager will pick him week in week out, I'm also convinced that when he does leave Carrow Road it will not be for a better placed club and will be a significant step down.

Well of course he won't be going for a step up because he will likely be at that tail end of his career and approaching his mid 30s.

Using that as evidence is an example of your desperation, alongside ignoring Farke wanting him at Leeds for no reason other than it doesn't suit your argument.

Considering last week you were happy to take another posters word on Baaths wages..

48 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

The teams you coached didn't win much did they ? 😉

Not that it's relevant but plenty thanks.

I was also intelligent enough to be able to see positions that players aren't their best as it's really not hard once those rose tinted glasses are removed 😉

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well of course he won't be going for a step up because he will likely be at that tail end of his career and approaching his mid 30s.

Using that as evidence is an example of your desperation, alongside ignoring Farke wanting him at Leeds for no reason other than it doesn't suit your argument.

Considering last week you were happy to take another posters word on Baaths wages..

No I wasn't. I agreed with you on that.

He's 30 now - there's no way a better team would buy him today. Apart from Leeds apparently - he's been great for them this year. Just like he was brilliant for West Ham when they signed him 🙄

3 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Exactly. I usually switch off when someone claims parity with professional top level coaches.

Who claimed parity 🤷🏻‍♂️

They would be UEFA A qualified, sadly I'm only UEFA B.

Appreciate on this discussion board trying to be factual or logical or putting some logic to an opinion isn't the done thing, so maybe next time I'll act like others and just rant or just mock those that don't agree with those that know everything.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

he been a key player under 3 managers and any interim managers,

But Hoggy, as others have said, those managers all got the sack, as will Wagner. Can't you see the common thread here. Either blame Webber for not giving those managers a better quality midfielder, or accept we are now playing at Kenny's level.

I have argued with you before over this. The fact we rely on Kenny is why we have struggled to perform at a higher level.

Like people defending Webber, Wagner et al, you can't defend the indefensible. If you are happy with Kenny, then by all means accept we are more likely to yo-yo between Chumps and League 1, than between the EPL and the Chumps. I won't.

• Like 1

I am going to disagree with that assessment.
I got the impression that he was driving into a forward position with the ball and was creating chances for Placheta to run at their back or into a space.He was certainly more productive when put at the back for Duffy

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

I think it's more that Webber never wanted to spend 10 million on a defensive midfielder,  it would be hard to make money from. Did he sign Tettey? The rest have been loans . 

It wouldnt take £10m to improve upon this position in the current team....which currently stands at no-one

The club knew they needed someone there the summer before last when they signed Hayden, but sadly we signed a crock....however Wagner has had TWO transfer windows since then in last January and last summer to sign a defensive midfielder and didnt on either occasion.

'HE' decided that we would go into this season without one, instead believing we were above needing one ,in favouring playing (and i'll try to be kind) , a deep lying playmaker there in McLean there

This decision/way of playing and the associated inability to stop shipping goals, has ultimately cost him his job

6 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

But Hoggy, as others have said, those managers all got the sack, as will Wagner. Can't you see the common thread here. Either blame Webber for not giving those managers a better quality midfielder, or accept we are now playing at Kenny's level.

I have argued with you before over this. The fact we rely on Kenny is why we have struggled to perform at a higher level.

Like people defending Webber, Wagner et al, you can't defend the indefensible. If you are happy with Kenny, then by all means accept we are more likely to yo-yo between Chumps and League 1, than between the EPL and the Chumps. I won't.

A thousand times this. If you accept the obvious wisdom that the squad is now vastly inferior to that which achieved our record points haul in 2020-21 then you have to accept that the remaining players are the embodiment of that decline. Kenny has never been an adequate replacement for Skipp and the repeated attempts to shoehorn him in there have coincided with the club's meteoric decline.

I'm not sure exactly what level of involvement our much maligned sporting director has in shaping the match day team, but he certainly holds responsibility for building the squad and has categorically failed to fill what many of us consider to be the biggest void. 

5 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

I am going to disagree with that assessment.
I got the impression that he was driving into a forward position with the ball and was creating chances for Placheta to run at their back or into a space.He was certainly more productive when put at the back for Duffy

...at that point Blackburn were down to 10 men and not playing anyone up front

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

48 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

It wouldnt take £10m to improve upon this position in the current team....which currently stands at no-one

The club knew they needed someone there the summer before last when they signed Hayden, but sadly we signed a crock....however Wagner has had TWO transfer windows since then in last January and last summer to sign a defensive midfielder and didnt on either occasion.

'HE' decided that we would go into this season without one, instead believing we were above needing one ,in favouring playing (and i'll try to be kind) , a deep lying playmaker there in McLean there

This decision/way of playing and the associated inability to stop shipping goals, has ultimately cost him his job

I agree , but at the time of skipp leaving and going to the prem,  the most important player for farke was a CDM, to play attacking  fullbacks.  We had the money and spent it on young attacking players. 

4 hours ago, Petriix said:

It's only really Webber (and a few fans) that he's conned. Webber has assembled this squad and continues to believe in it despite growing evidence that it simply doesn't compete at this level. McLean epitomises the low skill/high endeavour emphasis of our squad's 'development' and represents exactly where we've gone wrong. 

Surely he's also conned:

Farke and all his coaching staff

Smith and all his coaching staff

Wagner and all his coaching staff

Farke again to be stupid enough to bid for him in a promotion material Leeds squad.

Talk about a top conman.

It also shows the petty bias and hate that people claim Kenny is "conning" anyone.

He works hard, plays to the max of his ability and never hides. Yet apparently he's conning everyone. 

McLean is just bang average. He couldn’t even get into the 18/19 side until Leitner was injured. The fact he’s the first name on the team sheet some 4 years later says everything about the amount of quality this squad possesses. If Webber had signed a proper CDM, McLean would’ve left a long time ago.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Farke again to be stupid enough to bid for him in a promotion material Leeds squad.

If he'd signed for Leeds, he would have been backup to Ampadu & Kamara. Absolutely zero chance of him getting ahead of them. 

I am a Kenny admirer. I think he is steady and is never allowed to play his own game since Skipp left because he is expected to do so much and varying roles.

Of course he is coming to the end. We need improving, not more of the same. But I will still defend him over some if not most of the rest.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I am a Kenny admirer. I think he is steady and is never allowed to play his own game since Skipp left because he is expected to do so much and varying roles.

Of course he is coming to the end. We need improving, not more of the same. But I will still defend him over some if not most of the rest.

..you'd think he'd be coming to an end...however this club has inexplicably given him a new 3 yr contract

..and people moaned about the 5 yrs Idah got

5 hours ago, Petriix said:

...and Webber, Smith and Farke!

Makes you wonder why Farke tried to buy him twice in the summer?

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

...and Webber, Smith and Farke!

Makes you wonder why Farke tried to buy him twice in the summer?

...and he's seen out all 3 if them....possibly costing the latter two (together with Wagner) their jobs

Daryl Sutch fooled about 6 managers until Nigel Worthington finally saw through him....hopefully our next manager will finally be the one

McLean is hiding in plain sight

....but some of us see him

Well I don't know why you don't become a professional football manager then.

If you know more than all these multi-millionaire managers, you should give it a go! Every manager he has played for rates him, but you know better.

You are wasting your genius!

Just now, Badger said:

Well I don't know why you don't become a professional football manager then.

If you know more than all these multi-millionaire managers, you should give it a go! Every manager he has played for rates him, but you know better.

You are wasting your genius!

..and when Wagner is sacked all 3 will have been sacked within 2 yrs

..maybe the next manager will pay a little more attention to this crucial area of the pitch

6 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

God help us.

We were against 10 men and he was given so much space and time to play.

Just a shame he can't be so productive against 11 with less time to pick his passes.

Doesn’t count then. Fair play. 

49 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

McLean is just bang average. He couldn’t even get into the 18/19 side until Leitner was injured. The fact he’s the first name on the team sheet some 4 years later says everything about the amount of quality this squad possesses. If Webber had signed a proper CDM, McLean would’ve left a long time ago.

Err McLean was injured in the first half of the 18/19 season.

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

..and when Wagner is sacked all 3 will have been sacked within 2 yrs

..maybe the next manager will pay a little more attention to this crucial area of the pitch

It's pretty obvious that we're failing on the pitch but this thread is suggesting that it's all down to McLean.

He's been picked consistently by all our managers, our best recent manager tried to buy him twice in the summer, the various Scotland managers have him in the squad - but you have seen through him.

You're wasting your talents man - if you are better than all these managers you could make millions in a few seasons. Don't waste your time posting here, create a football legend for yourself.