Yobocop

Yobocop’s Big Post of the week: Favourite away day stadiums

Hey fellow Canaries fans!

As we all know, away days are a big part of the football experience. Whether you're traveling across the country or even abroad, there's something special about visiting different stadiums and experiencing the unique atmospheres they offer.

I wanted to kick off a discussion on our favorite away day stadiums, both at home and abroad. Which grounds have left a lasting impression on you? Here are a few of my personal favorites to get things started:

1. **Old Trafford (Manchester United):** It's a historic venue with a great atmosphere, and there's always something special about taking on one of the Premier League giants.

2. **St. James' Park (Newcastle United):** The passionate Geordie fans make this a memorable experience, and the stadium itself has a unique charm.

3. **Carrow Road (Our Home):** Our very own Carrow Road deserves a mention. The sense of community and unity here is something we all cherish.

4. **Signal Iduna Park (Borussia Dortmund):** If you ever get a chance to attend a match in Germany, this stadium's "Yellow Wall" is an unforgettable experience.

5. **Camp Nou (FC Barcelona):** It's massive, it's iconic, and it's where legends have played. A pilgrimage for football fans.

Please share your own favorite away day stadiums, whether they're in the UK or abroad. What made the experience special for you? Any hidden gems we should know about? Let's create a list of must-visit stadiums for fellow fans to consider on their future away days.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and recommendations! 🔰🏟️

Yours in Spirit, 

Yobocop 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miss the old grounds, I have to say. Upton Park for a midweek game was a pretty special experience. Liked the Dell. Probably my favourite City away day was to Bramall Lane just after the Bayern win.

Among the new stadiums, the Tottenham Hotspur stadium is stunning. The one-tier home end especially.

• Like 1

Loftus Road. Yes, it's a crap-shack but it has a good vibe about it, including Sombrero Man.

17 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Christ Yobo, you’re banging these on with a trowel weekly but the the objective is good. 

Really like these threads. Makes a nice change from discovering what people think about Webber or Essex Canary again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Really like these threads. Makes a nice change from discovering what people think about Webber or Essex Canary again.

They are good but a bit sickly sweet . 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They are good but a bit sickly sweet . 

A bit like your cherry brandy x 

Crap video but we were so superb this night. Fantastic performance and fantastic support from 1,800 on a Tuesday night. 

I was invited in the corporate boxes that night near the Leicester fans  ( brother in law had a box) Fcuk that! I’d sooner pay and be in the away end) 

Edited by Midlands Yellow
  • Like 1

For various reasons mine is the AOL Arena (as it was then) in Hamburg. A group of us were playing in a five a side tournament in Hamburg ironically organised by FC St Pauli fans. As part of the trip we decided to take in a Bundesliga game (Hamburg v Werder Bremen a tasty local derby). The first thing that impressed me was how easy it was to use the SV Hamburg website to buy tickets for all of us together, how reasonably priced they were and how quickly they were mailed to us. The second thing to leave an impression was the fact that the match ticket could be used on the public transport system to get to/from the game. The stadium itself was impressive, a massive terrace behind the goal, we spent the first 15 mins or so of the game in there, it was absolute heaven to be  on a terrace again, chanting and bouncing up an down like the good old days in the Barclay. We took to our seats, enough leg room between the seats so that  there was no need for anyone to stand up to let us get to our seats and finally, beer and food could be bought from the comfort of your seat, football heaven.............

Fratton Park for me - the most traditionally 'English' stadium I've ever visited. There's always a good atmosphere but not necessarily a big crowd which makes it quite unique. Like Portsmouth itself it's rough and ready, but I don't mind that 🙂

Been quite a few times, was there for Hamilton's last game in 2000, which was awful and compounded by the fact that in those days the away end had no roof and it chucked it down!

Of the new stadiums the Emirates is magnificent but an absolute rum'un to get out of - always leave 10 minutes before the end! 

Can’t beat the Kenny for me - I went v West Ham and atmosphere was unreal 

seen a few classics v norwich down the years, Simon lappins winner in a 3-2 win was a highlight 

Maybe a weird choice but I’ve had some good days out at The New Den. QPR too. Fulham would be a great away day if we could find a way to win there, ever. 

I used to love White Hart Lane and thought it was a shame it was replaced. But when I went to the new Spurs stadium I changed my mind. What an extraordinary place! 

• Like 1

I used to love the old Millmoor in Rovrum, especially pre-match in the Tivoli. However i do love the New York Stadium, perfect for the size of the club and gives the right amount of seats to away fans for a great atmosphere. 

Two places I absolutely hate as an away fan - Goodison and Hillsborough. Two stadiums that have had **** all investment in the last 3 decades and are showing it. And mainly cause the colour blue makes me feel so uncomfortable. 

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I used to love the old Millmoor in Rovrum, especially pre-match in the Tivoli. However i do love the New York Stadium, perfect for the size of the club and gives the right amount of seats to away fans for a great atmosphere. 

Two places I absolutely hate as an away fan - Goodison and Hillsborough. Two stadiums that have had **** all investment in the last 3 decades and are showing it. And mainly cause the colour blue makes me feel so uncomfortable. 

That’s next weeks big post sorted ; ) 

• Haha 1

Sorry to disagree with @shefcanary but I loved Goodison- proper old school feel, although it was a fair few years ago I went.

Griffin Park was obviously great but that is history now.

Fulham is lovely for an away day- scenic part of London, lovely stroll along the river to get there. 

Villa Park is a nice one too.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Sorry to disagree with @shefcanary but I loved Goodison- proper old school feel, although it was a fair few years ago I went.

Yeah, I enjoyed my trip to Goodison - lost an FA Cup tie in the Worthy years. It was the 'you fat b*stard' game where Everton pretended that the word 'fat', aimed at the assassin-faced baby Wayne Rooney was actually a racist slur aimed at, iirc, Joseph Yobo. But it definitely felt like a proper football ground.

2 hours ago, Yobocop said:

That’s next weeks big post sorted ; ) 

Ok - will save my worst grounds for next week 😉

Edited by Robert N. LiM
Typos

Trouble with Goodison is you can't see owt! First its difficult getting to your seat in the first place, but once there, the low ceiling from the tier above gets in the way, or (and I realise South Standers similarly experience this with the new lighting at Carrow Road) the lights are straight into your eyes, so you can't see sod all on the pitch. Fine if you just want to have a laugh with other fans and marvel at Leitch's architecture, but crap if you actually travelled all the way to watch some football. 

Still given the ****e Norwich are playing ATM it would probably be a good time to play Everton, as you wouldn't be able to watch it. 😉  

I always liked going to places that had 'a bit of an edge' in the 80's and 90's - Upton Park, Ayresome Park, Stamford Bridge, The Old Den, Maine Road, Goodison, St Andrew's etc.

Today's expanded stadiums are pretty soulless with atmosphere's to match.  

22 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Trouble with Goodison is you can't see owt! First its difficult getting to your seat in the first place, but once there, the low ceiling from the tier above gets in the way, or (and I realise South Standers similarly experience this with the new lighting at Carrow Road) the lights are straight into your eyes, so you can't see sod all on the pitch. Fine if you just want to have a laugh with other fans and marvel at Leitch's architecture, but crap if you actually travelled all the way to watch some football. 

Still given the ****e Norwich are playing ATM it would probably be a good time to play Everton, as you wouldn't be able to watch it. 😉  

I got lucky- my seat was the front of the slightly raised bit meaning my view was entirely unobstructed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yobocop said:

**Signal Iduna Park (Borussia Dortmund):** If you ever get a chance to attend a match in Germany, this stadium's "Yellow Wall" is an unforgettable experience

I've never seen so much beer at a football match 😀

22 hours ago, Yobocop said:

Hey fellow Canaries fans!

As we all know, away days are a big part of the football experience. Whether you're traveling across the country or even abroad, there's something special about visiting different stadiums and experiencing the unique atmospheres they offer.

I wanted to kick off a discussion on our favorite away day stadiums, both at home and abroad. Which grounds have left a lasting impression on you? Here are a few of my personal favorites to get things started:

1. **Old Trafford (Manchester United):** It's a historic venue with a great atmosphere, and there's always something special about taking on one of the Premier League giants.

2. **St. James' Park (Newcastle United):** The passionate Geordie fans make this a memorable experience, and the stadium itself has a unique charm.

3. **Carrow Road (Our Home):** Our very own Carrow Road deserves a mention. The sense of community and unity here is something we all cherish.

4. **Signal Iduna Park (Borussia Dortmund):** If you ever get a chance to attend a match in Germany, this stadium's "Yellow Wall" is an unforgettable experience.

5. **Camp Nou (FC Barcelona):** It's massive, it's iconic, and it's where legends have played. A pilgrimage for football fans.

Please share your own favorite away day stadiums, whether they're in the UK or abroad. What made the experience special for you? Any hidden gems we should know about? Let's create a list of must-visit stadiums for fellow fans to consider on their future away days.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and recommendations! 🔰🏟️

Yours in Spirit, 

Yobocop 

Man Utd & Newcastle your two "favorite" away grounds?  And the sense of unity at CR?  Reads like AI-generated nonsense.

57 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Man Utd & Newcastle your two "favorite" away grounds?  And the sense of unity at CR?  Reads like AI-generated nonsense.

Surprised it’s taken so long for someone to twig ; - ) 

Or was I being ironic? 

you decide ; - ) 

Edited by Yobocop

Griffin Park back in the day. The pubs on all four corners - the holy grail for away fans . The Griffin ,New Inn , Princess Royal and Royal Oak . So pleased to have done that a few times. 

Of the big clubs , Anfield has just got it big time for me . Although the new Spurs stadium is gobsmacking .

Always make a long weekend of Blackpool . Just brilliant fun . In fact I love  all football up north so particular mentions for Rotherham and Hillsborough .

Plus a big shout for Bristol City , fantastic city. And the Den , always an experience. Love drinking around Borough Market / London Bridge pre match . 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Griffin Park back in the day. The pubs on all four corners - the holy grail for away fans . The Griffin ,New Inn , Princess Royal and Royal Oak . So pleased to have done that a few times. 

Of the big clubs , Anfield has just got it big time for me . Although the new Spurs stadium is gobsmacking .

Always make a long weekend of Blackpool . Just brilliant fun . In fact I love  all football up north so particular mentions for Rotherham and Hillsborough .

Plus a big shout for Bristol City , fantastic city. And the Den , always an experience. Love drinking around Borough Market / London Bridge pre match . 

Good contribution - agree re: Millwall, I braved the home end last season and was pleasantly surprised