Sign in to follow this  
Naturalcynic

Celtic again

Once again Celtic supporters have caused embarrassment for their club.  So are they all committed activists for the Palestinian cause? Are they hardline Islamist supporters of Hamas?  Are they contrarians who go out of their way to oppose whatever position the Westminster Government takes?  Or are they simply immature attention-seeking juveniles?  Whatever the reason, it’s very likely that UEFA will take a dim view and fine the club accordingly.  

On the same subject I note that Liverpool are playing at home tonight…

spacer.png

Edited by Naturalcynic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You're going to have to learn about British history to understand why Celtic fans are doing this. It's long and complicated so you may need to take a day at the library to get the gist of it. Have a nice day. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is a Norwich City forum. 

Edited by S_81

1 minute ago, The Real Buh said:

Celtic are cringe

Poltiics at the football is cringe

Agreed.  Politics and football don’t mix.  Unfortunately in recent years the governing bodies of the game have set the precedent by giving overt support to a wide range of soft-political causes so in many ways they’ve only got themselves to blame.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, S_81 said:

This is a Norwich City forum. 

There are plenty of other non-NCFC football-related posts on here, so I suspect you’re just being a bit picky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Agreed.  Politics and football don’t mix.  Unfortunately in recent years the governing bodies of the game have set the precedent by giving overt support to a wide range of soft-political causes so in many ways they’ve only got themselves to blame.

If you open the door to it you’ll be forever chasing every little issue.

Football should be an escape from all this cringey political stuff. If you like it so much stay at home and touch yourself scrolling Twitter, freaks.

39 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Once again Celtic supporters have caused embarrassment for their club.  So are they all committed activists for the Palestinian cause? Are they hardline Islamist supporters of Hamas?  Are they contrarians who go out of their way to oppose whatever position the Westminster Government takes?  Or are they simply immature attention-seeking juveniles?  Whatever the reason, it’s very likely that UEFA will take a dim view and fine the club accordingly.  

spacer.png

I very much doubt that Celtic is embarrassed by its fans, in fact the club probably agrees with them

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/football-and-flags-why-celtic-fans-back-palestinian-cause

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

You're going to have to learn about British history to understand why Celtic fans are doing this. It's long and complicated so you may need to take a day at the library to get the gist of it. Have a nice day. 👍

Heres the gist of it;

'Waaaaa the mean English oppressed us by making us willingly and happily join a union waaa but we are very happy to take all the money and the benefits of being in the UK and when giving the chance to be independent we voted no  so now we support any anti Western cause waaaaa'

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Heres the gist of it;

'Waaaaa the mean English oppressed us by making us willingly and happily join a union waaa but we are very happy to take all the money and the benefits of being in the UK and when giving the chance to be independent we voted no  so now we support any anti Western cause waaaaa'

I'd suggest a trip to the library for you too. Books on Irish history, the British imperial history and critical thinking will really help someone like you. 

1 minute ago, Herman said:

I'd suggest a trip to the library for you too. Books on Irish history, the British imperial history and critical thinking will really help someone like you. 

I too could do with a visit to the library to learn the subtle differences in definition between “patronising” and “condescending”.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

I too could do with a visit to the library to learn the subtle differences in definition between “patronising” and “condescending”.

It's not me that is coming out with mush brained nonsense. Stop ranting, start thinking. 

This is clearly the 'Green Brigade/Bhoys' - and I don't defend this at all, but they shouldnt all be tarnished with the same brush.

My brother-in-law is originally from Glasgow and a huge Celtic fan. He once got a champions league package and invited me (for the 3 Champs league home games).

He's as close to 'reasonable Celtic Fan' as I can imagine (doesn't subscribe to political BS, just wants to follow his club, but will bleat on about how they're the best at everything blah blah blah).

I was made to feel extremely welcome as a very obvious non-Celtic English guy in Celtic home fan pubs etc. Very much an attitude of 'if you're here supporting us, that's fine, have a beer you English b***ard!'

However, at the ground I've never been so uncomfortable, the so-called 'Green Brigade' or 'Green Bhoys', go really hard with the Anti-British, IRA and sectarian chanting/songs. And boy do they mean it...

I declined to go to the other 2 games I'd paid for, it was that horrendous.

It's not all of the fans, but it was very unpleasant.

I also neglected to mention that I went to Rangers Vs Valencia on a client invitation a couple of years earlier, because I like being alive.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Celtic fans love to cosplay as an oppressed people, then they go to the football with their season ticket, or special 3-match CL package, drive home in their nice motor and settle down in their lovely warm semi detached new build

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Raggatip said:

Celtic fans love to cosplay as an oppressed people, then they go to the football with their season ticket, or special 3-match CL package, drive home in their nice motor and settle down in their lovely warm semi detached new build

And don't forget that half the time they can't tell if they're Scottish or Irish.

Maybe one day they'll work it out. Right odd bunch of lads.

I don't normally post as I don't get down to games often and use forum to keep up to date and don't therefore feel informed enough to post. 

However as someone with a killie season ticket possibly the only Norfolkman I would just like to point out the reality of having to suffer the visits of the bigot brothers. In regards to celtic the green brigade are a disgrace, constantly damaging seats  pitch invading , intimidating home fans, cannot respect minutes silences, it goes on and on. The songs especially away from home are predominantly pro ira , sectarian as one of other posters indicated. Celtic fc have had years to deal with this. They are yobs who pretend to have a political cause. The Palestinian support has been going on for years. They are really only obsessed with their twisted sister, one pro union , celtic not , one pro monarchy,  others not. Both the old firm make everything about themselves, they run the game up here.  You can put money on it that there will be Israel flags getting bought up for ibrox, pathetic point scoring about what is a horrendous situation which should be kept out of football.  

Sky for example have turned down the nonsense songs volume from both teams as these games are beamed all over the world  and bbc scotland ignore it.  Killie now as other clubs have done restrict both rangers and celtic to one stand now and our own season ticket holders have started coming back for these games, that how pathetic it is up here. 

It would be a sad day for football in England  if they were ever allowed to uproot and move  each of them really wish to do whenever they are doing well. 

Before I get any abuse my Wife and her family are Celtic fans and there are significant numbers of their fans who are fed up of this large minority element but their club seems disinterested. Its not as if they don't have a waiting list of supporters / glory hunters. 

A final thought when asked who you support , if it's not one of them it's yeah but who do you really support and that sums up what is wrong in the West of Scotland 

Oh for the day football was just about football or where you are from in terms of birth . Sorry rant over . Otbc

• Like 6

My rudimentary understanding is that Celtic supporters have long been supporters of the Palestinian cause, not Hamas, but the cause of Palestinians thrown off their land when Palestine became Israel in 1948. I travelled to Belfast a lot in the nineties and noughts and the Palestinian flag would be seen flying in Catholic areas, and equally the Israel flag would be seen flying in the Protestant areas........

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

spacer.png

🤣🤣🤣

I don't understand . At the moment it seems that anyone can choose to be offended ( or worse) by anything. I cannot see a Hamas flag in this picture, but i can see a lot of Palestine flags, and I, for one, would be proud to wave such a flag to register my opposition to the actions of the Israeli authorities in Gaza.

This does not make me anti-Semitic, but it would suit some people to imply that it does. What Hamas did was horrific, but their actions did not occur in a vacuum, and the Israeli Government(s) have contributed to this situation, and the current government may even have allowed what has happened.

How far back do we go? Personally I blame the Romans.

And while we're at it, don't fall for the faux outrage at something Kier Starmer said erroneously a few days ago. Don't forget that 80% of our print media is owned by non-dom billionaires, who will stop at nothing to try and keep the Tory Party in power.  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I don't understand . At the moment it seems that anyone can choose to be offended ( or worse) by anything. I cannot see a Hamas flag in this picture, but i can see a lot of Palestine flags, and I, for one, would be proud to wave such a flag to register my opposition to the actions of the Israeli authorities in Gaza.

This does not make me anti-Semitic, but it would suit some people to imply that it does. What Hamas did was horrific, but their actions did not occur in a vacuum, and the Israeli Government(s) have contributed to this situation, and the current government may even have allowed what has happened.

How far back do we go? Personally I blame the Romans.

And while we're at it, don't fall for the faux outrage at something Kier Starmer said erroneously a few days ago. Don't forget that 80% of our print media is owned by non-dom billionaires, who will stop at nothing to try and keep the Tory Party in power.  

Would you similarly be proud to wave an Israeli flag to register your opposition to the murderous actions of Hamas two weeks ago and to show your support for the hundreds of hostages they took?

Edited by Naturalcynic

17 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Would you similarly be proud to wave an Israeli flag to register your opposition to the murderous actions of Hamas two weeks ago and to show your support for the hundreds of hostages they took?

Halfy half scarf would be better?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

That's an interesting question, and I think the answer might be not now. I have called the actions of Hamas "horrific" and I have done nothing to indicate any support for Hamas, and on 7/10 I might have waved an Israel Flag, but the Israeli Government's response since then has been disproportionate and indiscriminate (in my opinion), so I would not wave an Israel flag at this moment.

I actually like Nutty's suggestion in that if there were a way to show support for Peace between Israelis and Palestinians I'd take it.   

• Like 2

This is not about Palestine? Golan Heights, Sinai, Southern Lebanon, Gaza, West Bank, Jerusalem , refugees in Jordan, the dispossessed diaspora across the globe. Just a google of Balfour declaration gives u a clue. 
Think Celtic, think celtic think Irish , yep and think settlers occupation ..think affinity.

As for Uk politicians,  since inception of state of Israel both major parties have given unwavering support (ref Aforementioned Balfour bloke).

• Like 3

On 26/10/2023 at 08:49, cambridgeshire canary said:

Heres the gist of it;

Thats a bit academic for you

15 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

You have pinned your opinion on one incident. And as disguting as it was, it doesn't come anywhere near what Israel did in 2014 alone and what has happened over the years. And in fact, what they are doing now.

And forthe last time, Hamas is not Palestine. It is a terrorist organisation. Its like saying the IRA is Ireland. And when you think about Ireland, you might also think about the Middle East.

• Like 5

Just to say, I went to Celtic Park when NCFC played a friendly their in 2013 (i think) and it was by far my best experience of following Norwich away. Never felt more welcome anywhere in my life.