Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy_Fitch

Would you take Lambert?

5 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

I'm pretty sure that after he's died and we have an under performing manager someone will post 'would you take Lambert'.

Maybe we could breed with DNA a Lambert / Farke super manager 

19 hours ago, Jimmy_Fitch said:

I honesty can't see Wagner lasting much longer, this form in any league is embarrassing. I can settle with finishing mid table, that doesn't bother me too much. It's the manner in which we are throwing games away or being thrashed by Plymouth that really makes me angry.

I constantly hear excuses regarding the ability of our squad. I don't buy that either. We have ex prem players in our starting eleven. We have regular internationals and a midfielder many are saying is the best in the league.

When we got promoted from League 1 to the Championship the only 2 players I can remember signing is Ruddy and Martin. Ruddy was 3rd fiddle at Everton and Martin was at Peterborough. We then got promoted to the prem and I don't recall us spending millions on South American wonder kids. I think we did sign BJ, Howson and Elliott Bennett.

Lambert kept us up!!! Something SW has failed to achieve twice. That season we beat the teams in and around us and drew away at Liverpool and Arsenal. It was night and day compared to the Farke prem seasons. 

Paul Lambert was very good at taking a very average group of players and making them massively over achieve and with very little money. Not to mention a terrible training ground at the time.

I would be happy to forgive him for joining that lot down the road if it meant we had a manager in charge who can motivate players, and strive to be more than just a mid table Championship team.

I can't believe how backwards we have gone in 10 years.

Would you take Lambert?

No

8 hours ago, S_81 said:

It’s why Webber can’t be allowed to pick the next manager. Especially as he has even less care invested in the place than when he picked Wagner. When quite clearly he already didn’t give a hoot and took the lazy way out 

So when Webber’s gone the managerial appointments will all be successful again. I don’t have the answers but I doubt that will be the case.

McNally gave us Lambert but then followed up with Hughton. His next roll of the dice was Adams but then struck gold again with Alex Neil.

When we were mid table PL, and Mcnally was lauded, he said football is cyclical and so it came to pass. Despite all the success McNally still went toxic and became a hate figure. After being similarly lauded Webber is now even more toxic. But through it all seasons come and go and the wheel keeps turning. I suspect the spiral is still going down, but I don’t have the answer to how we reverse it. Perhaps it’s sacking more managers. Perhaps being lucky with injuries. I still think if Buendia or Pukki had suffered Sargent’s injury in August 2018 it would have been as toxic for Farke then as it is for Wagner now. Similarly a big injury for Holt or Hoolahan would have derailed Lamberts rollercoaster.

There’s at least 20 clubs aspiring to be PL. This is ultimately why football is cyclical. If it wasn’t there’d be no point to it. Teams like us who fall fall away would never return. 

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So when Webber’s gone the managerial appointments will all be successful again. I don’t have the answers but I doubt that will be the case.

McNally gave us Lambert but then followed up with Hughton. His next roll of the dice was Adams but then struck gold again with Alex Neil.

When we were mid table PL, and Mcnally was lauded, he said football is cyclical and so it came to pass. Despite all the success McNally still went toxic and became a hate figure. After being similarly lauded Webber is now even more toxic. But through it all seasons come and go and the wheel keeps turning. I suspect the spiral is still going down, but I don’t have the answer to how we reverse it. Perhaps it’s sacking more managers. Perhaps being lucky with injuries. I still think if Buendia or Pukki had suffered Sargent’s injury in August 2018 it would have been as toxic for Farke then as it is for Wagner now. Similarly a big injury for Holt or Hoolahan would have derailed Lamberts rollercoaster.

There’s at least 20 clubs aspiring to be PL. This is ultimately why football is cyclical. If it wasn’t there’d be no point to it. Teams like us who fall fall away would never return. 

It’s the wasted potential that’s the killer. The hiring of the wrong boss. Or the failure to sack him quick enough. There’s potential still amongst this squad to be doing much better with someone better suited in the dugout. I agree football works in cycles and we have our place for a club of our size - but none the less this feels an average league again this year - and as it was last - we are blowing it and will face selling what little talent we have left as a consequence. 

Just now, S_81 said:

It’s the wasted potential that’s the killer. The hiring of the wrong boss. Or the failure to sack him quick enough. There’s potential still amongst this squad to be doing much better with someone better suited in the dugout. I agree football works in cycles and we have our place for a club of our size - but none the less this feels an average league again this year - and as it was last - we are blowing it and will face selling what little talent we have left as a consequence. 

The longer this run goes on the more difficult it is to reverse. With Sarge I think we were better than last season. Without him we are much the same. Hindsight is great but if we hadn’t persevered so long with Pukki last season we may have made the playoffs with Sargent up top.
 I don’t think waiting on Sarge is the answer. Doubt he will be fit and fully firing again this season. Being lucky with fitness of key players is huge part of any successful team. 

Lambert was great when he came, getting us straight back up to the Championship, then back to back promotions to the PL. However, ever since he left us he’s failed everywhere, and so I would only say no as if he was appointed I think we would only see a repeat of the second spell of Mike Walker 

On 24/10/2023 at 16:30, Jimmy_Fitch said:

I honesty can't see Wagner lasting much longer, this form in any league is embarrassing. I can settle with finishing mid table, that doesn't bother me too much. It's the manner in which we are throwing games away or being thrashed by Plymouth that really makes me angry.

I constantly hear excuses regarding the ability of our squad. I don't buy that either. We have ex prem players in our starting eleven. We have regular internationals and a midfielder many are saying is the best in the league.

When we got promoted from League 1 to the Championship the only 2 players I can remember signing is Ruddy and Martin. Ruddy was 3rd fiddle at Everton and Martin was at Peterborough. We then got promoted to the prem and I don't recall us spending millions on South American wonder kids. I think we did sign BJ, Howson and Elliott Bennett.

Lambert kept us up!!! Something SW has failed to achieve twice. That season we beat the teams in and around us and drew away at Liverpool and Arsenal. It was night and day compared to the Farke prem seasons. 

Paul Lambert was very good at taking a very average group of players and making them massively over achieve and with very little money. Not to mention a terrible training ground at the time.

I would be happy to forgive him for joining that lot down the road if it meant we had a manager in charge who can motivate players, and strive to be more than just a mid table Championship team.

I can't believe how backwards we have gone in 10 years.

Would you take Lambert?

Give your head a wobble you pillock!

19 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

The longer this run goes on the more difficult it is to reverse. With Sarge I think we were better than last season. Without him we are much the same. Hindsight is great but if we hadn’t persevered so long with Pukki last season we may have made the playoffs with Sargent up top.
 I don’t think waiting on Sarge is the answer. Doubt he will be fit and fully firing again this season. Being lucky with fitness of key players is huge part of any successful team. 

Yes, we need to play the season as if Sargent isn't coming back and unfortunately for us, Wagner doesn't seem to want to adjust to suit. But if we sack him it only makes sense if we have a definite target who the new SD wants to work with.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yes, we need to play the season as if Sargent isn't coming back and unfortunately for us, Wagner doesn't seem to want to adjust to suit. But if we sack him it only makes sense if we have a definite target who the new SD wants to work with.

If we were to do that, we would definitely need to buy a striker in January