Can't find the original thread. I think it died of boredom. 

The frightening thing is that England could reach the semi finals where they would be crushed into the ground by either S Africa or France.

So the choice is a humiliating loss in the quarter finals to Fiji or something worse in the semi finals where I'd be surprised if the opposition didn't get to 50 points without drawing breath. 

Fiji have had some troubles this week. One player's son died and Sam Matavesi, from Camborne, lost his Dad, Serelli. He has returned home but should be back for the match.

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Fiji have had some troubles this week. One player's son died and Sam Matavesi, from Camborne, lost his Dad, Serelli. He has returned home but should be back for the match.

You know about these things. Will England win? And why on earth is Farrell playing? 

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You know about these things. Will England win? And why on earth is Farrell playing? 

My take on that is that Borthwick wants the toughest, most physical players to suit his defence-orientated style. And Smith for Steward at full-back kind of makes sense, as Fiji don't kick much so you don't need to have someone like Freddie who is big and strong and good under the high ball.

If we do beat Fiji (and I expect us to sneak through), you never know in a one-off match. Not saying I think we'd beat South Africa or France, but we could make it close and make it tough for them. Yes of course there's a chance they could steamroller us, but we'd have nothing to lose and the hosts/defending champions aren't completely oblivious to pressure.

37 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

My take on that is that Borthwick wants the toughest, most physical players to suit his defence-orientated style. And Smith for Steward at full-back kind of makes sense, as Fiji don't kick much so you don't need to have someone like Freddie who is big and strong and good under the high ball.

If we do beat Fiji (and I expect us to sneak through), you never know in a one-off match. Not saying I think we'd beat South Africa or France, but we could make it close and make it tough for them. Yes of course there's a chance they could steamroller us, but we'd have nothing to lose and the hosts/defending champions aren't completely oblivious to pressure.

I admire your enthusiasm but I think if England played either of those two you'd need a JCB to dig them out of the pitch afterwards 

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How can a tournament keep people interested when there’s no action 3 days a week. Very strange scheduling of matches. 

Yes it is such a badly organised tournament.

It's too big so there are too many blowout losses that aren't fun to watch.

It takes far too long to get to the knock out games and there are huge gaps between games meaning it is easy to forget it is even happening.

I get that Rugby is physically intense and you can't play a game every two or three days but surely it can be scheduled so the games are more spread through the week rather than playing 3 games every Saturday?

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I would bet on England winning still. Fiji have changed their style and that will help England defend better against a more forwards style of play.

Rugby, like football, has trends and fashions unless you have a golden generation like Ireland still have. NZ do not see forward domination as crucial. Win their own ball and their talented backs will do the rest. SA like to dominate their opposition with relentless pressure on the ball carrier and set pieces. France have the two best half backs who dictate play.

England have very little to praise. A back line that would rather try and go through you than round you and a forward pack that has no discipline. Farell can kick but will never make a break. Ditto with Ford and Smith tries to run but isn't good enough. Our own Ben Youngs was a good scrum half but never great and he has well over 100 caps.

Even a poor team can have a good day but its like football that the team who times their form who have the best chances. But England have shown no form yet.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes it is such a badly organised tournament.

It's too big so there are too many blowout losses that aren't fun to watch.

It takes far too long to get to the knock out games and there are huge gaps between games meaning it is easy to forget it is even happening.

I get that Rugby is physically intense and you can't play a game every two or three days but surely it can be scheduled so the games are more spread through the week rather than playing 3 games every Saturday?

Yes. Rugby isn't organised well. The groupings were based on the last world cup. And the group stages all centred around the knockout stages.

Wales - Argentina - has potential to be a good game

Ireland- New Zealand will be a close game

France - South Africa - ditto to the above

England - Fiji - lose lose as if England win it won't be by much, and wouldn't be a surprise if we lost. The only quarter final I actually have no interest in watching.

Edited by overthebordercanary

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Farrell is the rugby equivalent of Harry Maguire. Is the managers pet and must have dirt on them to be regularly picked. 

2 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

What odds on a clean sweep for either the Northern or Southern Hemisphere's?

Fiji and Argentina are rank outsiders. I think England will prevail but I can see it beeing closer than the bookies think.

Two of the ties (IRL v NZ and FRA v RSA) look corkers and could have been good enough for the final. It is odd why they draw the competition so far out.

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I admire your enthusiasm but I think if England played either of those two you'd need a JCB to dig them out of the pitch afterwards 

We'd be considerable outsiders, without doubt. But it's a two-horse race and we're still a Tier 1 nation with a good 23 (despite the questionable tactics and poor form). I'd be surprised if we lost a semi-final by more than 30, whoever it was against, and I wouldn't be surprised if we made it really close. If we get a good result against Fiji then we'd carry a bit of momentum into the semi-final and have nothing to lose.

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How can a tournament keep people interested when there’s no action 3 days a week. Very strange scheduling of matches. 

You go play a game at that level then you will have your answer- they need rest days much more than footballers. Bodies are seriously bruised and need to heal between games. I think it’s been a cracking tournament and am loving every minute 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You go play a game at that level then you will have your answer- they need rest days much more than footballers. Bodies are seriously bruised and need to heal between games. I think it’s been a cracking tournament and am loving every minute 

You should go the rugby on Saturdays, would save you getting stressed every week. Would be much better for your health.

10 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Fully appreciate it’s a brutal and physical sport. But starting with the group games there was no action for 3 days of the week, that’s pure crap planning, 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Fully appreciate it’s a brutal and physical sport. But starting with the group games there was no action for 3 days of the week, that’s pure crap planning, 

Does seem a bit odd, I can't work it out either. Just spent a couple of weeks in France travelling around, and it's odd having nothing to watch during the week. Don't understand why they can't have two games on Saturdays and Sundays, then one game on four weekdays with just one rest day.

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Yep. I mean im. It not interested in It but already It seems to have gone on for ages

7 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Rugby isn’t a big enough sport for a 20 team tournament. They’d have been much better cutting it 16 (4 groups of 4) and playing a game a day throughout the group stage. 

If they want to give the minnows exposure against the big sides then they should make everybody qualify similar to the football World Cup, save the cricket scores for those games. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Looking forward to the final whoever makes it. When is the final, January 2024? 

I think it clashes with the FA Cup Final 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Well b back said:

You should go the rugby on Saturdays, would save you getting stressed every week. Would be much better for your health.

I often do, played most weekends until the body finally fell apart a few years back. Anno domini

11 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Bloody hell, I agree with DCB!

Professional rugby players are elite athletes, trained within an inch of their lives to be fast and strong. A lock can be 6 foot 6 inches tall and 115+ kilos (18 and a half stone). Imagine running into one of them as they come for you  - repeatedly - for 80 minutes. 

And despite being born in England, I’ve found the arrogance and over-confidence of England and its supporters a turn-off for years. Come on Wales!

13 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

You've got to be a real lover of Rugby to claim ypu loved every minute of Argentina 59 Chile 5 or France putting 96 points on Namibia.

32 minutes ago, king canary said:

You've got to be a real lover of Rugby to claim ypu loved every minute of Argentina 59 Chile 5 or France putting 96 points on Namibia.

Probably as equally boring as England last night.