Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ticketing concessions

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm fed up with old people pleading poverty. If you can't afford it don't do it. That's the way it is.

I've not seen anyone pleading poverty - and most people agree would that if you can't afford it don't do it.

The point is one of principle - if you are advertising that over 65s get a concession, then that should apply everywhere general tickets are sold.  There were tickets in L and M blocks apparently, but it seems as if as the tickets get scarce in a block, the concession is removed from what is left. Some would say this is maximising profit - I would say this is wrong - you either offer concessions or you don't, not mess about with it in some manipulative way.

There is obviously an algorhythm or software programme that gradually removes concessions as tickets start running out, because the guys in the ticket office said I should be able to get the concession in L and M and were surprised when I said that was not the case..... 

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I've not seen anyone pleading poverty - and most people agree would that if you can't afford it don't do it.

The point is one of principle - if you are advertising that over 65s get a concession, then that should apply everywhere general tickets are sold.  There were tickets in L and M blocks apparently, but it seems as if as the tickets get scarce in a block, the concession is removed from what is left. Some would say this is maximising profit - I would say this is wrong - you either offer concessions or you don't, not mess about with it in some manipulative way.

There is obviously an algorhythm or software programme that gradually removes concessions as tickets start running out, because the guys in the ticket office said I should be able to get the concession in L and M and were surprised when I said that was not the case..... 

Ah now that I agree isn't really on. If a section is advertised as having concessions available it isn't fair to remove those when seats get scarce. That feels very grabby all things considered.

10 hours ago, daly said:

I sit 10 yards from centre circle and get concession 

Don’t you rather get in the way of the players there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have a season ticket in Block N of the South Stand and if the seat next to me is available I've taken my nephew, who falls into the 12-17 year old price bracket, and have been able to buy the ticket at a reduced price.

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I had to move from M to N&O to get the concession.

Yes but J is a concession block much nearer to the halfway line than any of those blocks but with a lot of younger customers probably because it is near the away fans who also have prime seats for at least part of their allocation.

Edited by essex canary

23 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Yes but J is a concession block much nearer to the halfway line than any of those blocks but with a lot of younger customers probably because it is near the away fans who also have prime seats for at least part of their allocation.

What block is your concession ticket in?

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Ah now that I agree isn't really on. If a section is advertised as having concessions available it isn't fair to remove those when seats get scarce. That feels very grabby all things considered.

This would be grabby, but it isn’t what the club does. K,L and M are the blocks where no concessions are available. This isn’t just for Leeds but is true for all games and season tickets. There are concessions in all other blocks. Also the OP is wrong when comparing it to tickets in theatres where the best seats do not offer concession rates either. All the other blocks  in the South Stand as well as every seat in the Barclay and River End offer concession prices.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Commonsense said:

This would be grabby, but it isn’t what the club does. K,L and M are the blocks where no concessions are available. This isn’t just for Leeds but is true for all games and season tickets. There are concessions in all other blocks. Also the OP is wrong when comparing it to tickets in theatres where the best seats do not offer concession rates either. All the other blocks  in the South Stand as well as every seat in the Barclay and River End offer concession prices.

Cheers, what Lakey was saying didn't sound right to me. Thanks for clarifying.

11 hours ago, AprilSkies said:

I have a season ticket in Block N of the South Stand and if the seat next to me is available I've taken my nephew, who falls into the 12-17 year old price bracket, and have been able to buy the ticket at a reduced price.

As Commonsense says that’s because only Blocks K, L and M are designated as centre blocks with no concessions for minors or OAPs

23 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Is this restriction just for casual tickets or does it apply to season tickets as well?

I only ask because my Sheffield United friend continues to sit where he has always sat for 20+ years (in the centre of their main stand), but gets his concession no problem. Oh, and he got that concession when he turned 60, not 65!

And just to confuse further, isn't retirement age now 67? Aren't you lucky to still get one at 65?

As far as I am aware there is no "retirement age" in the UK just an age at which you qualify for State Pension (and a bus pass) which is dependent on your date of birth, I qualify aged 67, somebody born in say 1982 will have to wait until they are 68.......

I apologise for any inaccuracies in what I have put in this thread, but the confusion arose partly because of the conversation I had with the ticket office regarding Blocks L and M, which suggested there ought to have been tickets with concessions in those two blocks as well. 

Thanks for the clarifications! 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

As Commonsense says that’s because only Blocks K, L and M are designated as centre blocks with no concessions for minors or OAPs

What isn't commonsense is that Block J is more premium in location than Block M and that at other grounds such as Portman Road all these Blocks would have concessions applied to them.

3 minutes ago, essex canary said:

What isn't commonsense is that Block J is more premium in location than Block M and that at other grounds such as Portman Road all these Blocks would have concessions applied to them.

It's a surprise that anyone bothers to turn up for games with all these things wrong with the club.

11 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

What block is your concession ticket in?

M.

A friend conceded his ticket there when he moved away 3 years ago. That seat was on a casual basis for a while and at times empty thereby showing the difficulties they may have had with your vacated seat. My friend having now moved back local would now want a concession seat therefore won't return to that block.

This policy serves no one well.

23 hours ago, daly said:

I sit 10 yards from centre circle and get concession 

As a season ticket holder? Are you in south stand or main (mini) stand? I sit in Block L in the south stand and I’m on the edge of the centre circle and know that I will need to move from my seat to receive a concession when I reach eligibility. 

27 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I apologise for any inaccuracies in what I have put in this thread, but the confusion arose partly because of the conversation I had with the ticket office regarding Blocks L and M, which suggested there ought to have been tickets with concessions in those two blocks as well. 

Thanks for the clarifications! 

To be fair it's not really your fault if the Ticket Office don't seem to know themselves!

15 minutes ago, essex canary said:

M.

A friend conceded his ticket there when he moved away 3 years ago. That seat was on a casual basis for a while and at times empty thereby showing the difficulties they may have had with your vacated seat. My friend having now moved back local would now want a concession seat therefore won't return to that block.

This policy serves no one well.

So you actually have a 100% concession in a block where nobody else can get any concession whatsoever. And yet all you do is complain about it. I can't work out if you're weird, mad or the most ungrateful person in the world...

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So you actually have a 100% concession in a block where nobody else can get any concession whatsoever. And yet all you do is complain about it. I can't work out if you're weird, mad or the most ungrateful person in the world...

It's yes to all three.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Maybe they should “challenge” McNally’s decision to investigate the dozens of season ticket holders that were claiming  age concessions that were not entitled to them? I seem to recall that being a very good idea. 

McNally had a few of them I recall. Hiring Lambert in particular. 

The Club had a big challenge in the early days of McNally's reign. Challenging blatant abuse is quite right. Some of it will nevertheless likely be minor infringement. I lost any sympathy by the point that McNally received a £367,000 bonus in a relegation season. 

Still one skill McNally can claim, at least when it suited, is attention to detail. Not sure we have ever seen that from the current administration, the recent shenanigans re the share issue being a very obvious case in point.

16 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Don’t you rather get in the way of the players there?

Quite. Centre circle is 10 yards in radius from centre spot meaning our friend is around 20 yards from the spot (in any direction) 

I doubt he or she gets much of a concession 

25 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The Club had a big challenge in the early days of McNally's reign. Challenging blatant abuse is quite right. Some of it will nevertheless likely be minor infringement. I lost any sympathy by the point that McNally received a £367,000 bonus in a relegation season. 

Still one skill McNally can claim, at least when it suited, is attention to detail. Not sure we have ever seen that from the current administration, the recent shenanigans re the share issue being a very obvious case in point.

I bet you looked that up. On a lovely sunny October day you are making a point about a salary package (that was broadly similar most years but made up in various payments) to suit a point . Get outside man and soak up the rays. 

Not sure how someone claiming to be under 21 to gain a discount when they are not is “minor” . Fraud is fraud . 

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Quite. Centre circle is 10 yards in radius from centre spot meaning our friend is around 20 yards from the spot (in any direction) 

I doubt he or she gets much of a concession 

This seems to be a bit of a competiton, rather like curling, because now another poster has said this:  "I’m on the edge of the centre circle." Someone is soon going to claim their seat is actually inside the circle...😍

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This seems to be a bit of a competiton, rather like curling, because now another poster has said this:  "I’m on the edge of the centre circle." Someone is soon going to claim their seat is actually inside the circle...😍

Thats crossing the line! 

Ill get my coat

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Surely the most crucial question is, “but is it a seat for life, or can it be passed on to your beneficiaries?” Winks 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, GMF said:

Surely the most crucial question is, “but is it a seat for life, or can it be passed on to your beneficiaries?” Winks 

You tinker! 

21 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I bet you looked that up. On a lovely sunny October day you are making a point about a salary package (that was broadly similar most years but made up in various payments) to suit a point . Get outside man and soak up the rays. 

Not sure how someone claiming to be under 21 to gain a discount when they are not is “minor” . Fraud is fraud . 

Apologies for the delay in responding due to soaking up the Spanish sun.

I guess that a 22 year old misusing his 20 year old siblings season card when both are students is about as heinous as a 20 year old high on laughing gas seriously injuring 2 members of the public with his souped up battering ram?

I note from my electronic copy of the EDP that the Club has declined to comment upon the crowd unrest on Saturday.

Bigger fish to fry at present it seems. Not that there seems like much frying going on other than with the Spanish sun.

Edited by essex canary

50 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Apologies for the delay in responding due to soaking up the Spanish sun.

I guess that a 22 year old misusing his 20 year old siblings season card when both are students is about as heinous as a 20 year old high on laughing gas seriously injuring 2 members of the public with his souped up battering ram?

I note from my electronic copy of the EDP that the Club has declined to comment upon the crowd unrest on Saturday.

Bigger fish to fry at present it seems. Not that there seems like much frying going on other than with the Spanish sun.

Did you only post that to reference that you are in Spain?! Yau can stay there for all we care. 

Seriously? You are comparing those two scenarios, you are another level. 

31 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Did you only post that to reference that you are in Spain?! Yau can stay there for all we care. 

Seriously? You are comparing those two scenarios, you are another level. 

Just responding to GPB's concern about my Vitamin D intake.

Perhaps I should adopt the Club's favourite motto 'No FT, No Comment'?