Canary Pie

your suggestions to fix english football

1) Salary cap. Personally I don’t just think it’s harsh on the smaller teams but that’s it’s horrible for all the people out there who are struggling with the cost of living crisis at the moment. Just think, some people struggle to earn £25k p/a, so I would have a maximum wage of just £2k p/w. Just about all players go into some other football related activity when they hang up their boots, whether it’s coaching, management, being pundits etc so they don’t need the money. Would like this to be introduced by FIFA, so it’s active worldwide

2) Transfer fee cap. Again, something else I would like FIFA to introduce. It’s causing inflation in the market, so I would have a maximum club expenditure of £100m in transfer fees p/s. Ban all clubs in debts of £50m+ from spending anything in transfer fees, so they can only sign free agents and players from their academy

3) Scrap VAR. It’s doing more bad than good. Keep GLT though

1 hour ago, essex canary said:

A great idea. May need electronic attendance for Cambridge or alternatively pick someone who attends matches.

You have no idea if Cambridgeo  is even able to attend matches. You assume a lot with little evidence.....again. Yet manage to wrap it up in your usual slimy style

I'd  have thought in these times of inclusivity that every one.....even you, should be considered . No doubt your particularly  repulsive form of                    ' constructive  criticism ' will be as welcome there as it is here. 

Easy fix……

20 team max in each division (premier, championship, div 1 & 2, split National league into north & south and have two from each go up.

Each division has a fixed squad of 25 players set at transfer deadline at 1st August! Any under players under the age of 21  are allowed to be kept, in the reserves and used as needed to cover the full season! Not transfers in January! all players over 21 and outside the 25 man squad released on a free trade!

Any teams who have spaces left in their 25 man squad can sign free agents. Which ends 1st September that’s it then for the season.

This would allow players who make up the best teams like Man City third team to have to find another club and free up better player to go to lower teams.

Each division has a Salary Cap set the same from top to bottom, no more paying 300k a week to players sitting on the bench! For Premier say set at 150million a season, Champion 50million, div 1 20million and div 2 10 million. Any team going over this will have 3 points deduction on ever 1 million over.

Last I’d have Four teams from each division up and down to spread the wealth up and down the divisions with TV money shared through all divisions.

Sorted….I’d also bring back the rule of minimum 7 home nation players in the match day squad!

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

1) Salary cap. Personally I don’t just think it’s harsh on the smaller teams but that’s it’s horrible for all the people out there who are struggling with the cost of living crisis at the moment. Just think, some people struggle to earn £25k p/a, so I would have a maximum wage of just £2k p/w. Just about all players go into some other football related activity when they hang up their boots, whether it’s coaching, management, being pundits etc so they don’t need the money. Would like this to be introduced by FIFA, so it’s active. 

As 2K per week is what top referees get paid why not. Max £1K per week for all the behind the scenes characters. SORTED.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

You have no idea if Cambridgeo  is even able to attend matches. You assume a lot with little evidence.....again. Yet manage to wrap it up in your usual slimy style

I'd  have thought in these times of inclusivity that every one.....even you, should be considered . No doubt your particularly  repulsive form of                    ' constructive  criticism ' will be as welcome there as it is here. 

Inclusivity? 

They could already do that with me at the AD group if they didn't turn their noses up at people sitting in general admission seats or if they avoided discussing Terms and Conditions at meetings that don't apply to all members.

In the famous words of John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious'.

30 minutes ago, essex canary said:

In the famous words of John McEnroe 'you cannot be serious'.

Another Brat sulking when he didn't get his own way, you  probably think Elton is a nice guy. 

40 minutes ago, essex canary said:

As 2K per week is what top referees get paid why not. Max £1K per week for all the behind the scenes characters. SORTED.

Pay peanuts get monkeys. 

1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

Pay peanuts get monkeys. 

Perhaps that is why the matches don't get officiated properly? Spain pays it"s refs 150 per cent more. Better to pay them better rather than noddy administrators.

7 hours ago, essex canary said:

Perhaps that is why the matches don't get officiated properly? Spain pays it"s refs 150 per cent more. Better to pay them better rather than noddy administrators.

300% more if you factor in Barca's brown envelopes

Reduce Sky's financial grip on football. I'm not suggesting removing the money, just splitting coverage of football between more TV providers. 

Salary caps aren't illegal, they're just contrary to common sense. The best people in any field get paid the most money. What we need to stop is undeserved reward, so that salaries are fair. But players will get what they can. Paying Ben Gibson over £40k per week is simply nonsensical, as is paying the SD of an average Championship club a basic of several hundred thousand pounds a year, but it isn't their fault that people are prepared to pay it. Let's be honest though - what else are you going to do with the money if not pay salaries? Pay dividends to shareholders? 

For as long as "contracts" form the basis of employment in professional sport it isn't fixable. 

Equally, results based remuneration is difficult when among 92 clubs there are effectively only ever going to be a maximum of 15 which achieve anything in any given season.

The one thing I would do is cap the price of tickets - make clubs manage their own finances more efficiently.

23 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Salary caps aren't illegal, they're just contrary to common sense. The best people in any field get paid the most money. What we need to stop is undeserved reward, so that salaries are fair. But players will get what they can. Paying Ben Gibson over £40k per week is simply nonsensical, as is paying the SD of an average Championship club a basic of several hundred thousand pounds a year, but it isn't their fault that people are prepared to pay it. Let's be honest though - what else are you going to do with the money if not pay salaries? Pay dividends to shareholders? 

For as long as "contracts" form the basis of employment in professional sport it isn't fixable. 

Equally, results based remuneration is difficult when among 92 clubs there are effectively only ever going to be a maximum of 15 which achieve anything in any given season.

The one thing I would do is cap the price of tickets - make clubs manage their own finances more efficiently.

Very sensible. On the last point Germany scores well. We should follow their example.

On 07/10/2023 at 11:30, dylanisabaddog said:

Number 3 is illegal

Not true. Rugby in the UK  has salary caps. 

I posted this in another thread but is relevant

Allow a break out Euro super league - Money Cheat Citeh, Newsaudi Town , Real Madrid, Bayern etc etc.

Let them have all the mega stars paid more money than they are worth.

Then re-structure the football pyramid with a wage cap similar to the USA, also allow each team to break the wage cap x3 times. Investment is capped, breaking of the rules = points dedications in denominations of 3 with the smallest being 9.

The kicker would be that players could not play for their country if they played for the Euro super league teams which would keep some players in their domestic leagues or the domestic pyramids.

I know its basic and not well thought out, but hats the principal.

This way you could have the stupid money football but also have grass roots football that was viable.

Add to this,

Removal of var

Strict penalties for feigned injury, if a player goes down and doesn't get up after 20 seconds medical team come on and remove player for treatment.

(Head injury can be treated on field but player must be subbed off regardless of outcome)

Once medical team signal player is ready to come on ref waits 5 minutes before allowing them to come back on.

Domestic player bias, at least 50 percent of the team sheet must be of united kingdom nationality.

Back to 3 subs.

Club ownership minimum of 51 percent the fans the other 49 can be a united kingdom based conglomerate, individual or business 

Football agents are allowed but can only make profit based on what a player wishes to pay them.

Clubs have no obligation to pay an agent and the interest of an agent is simply to assist a players negotiation hence any profit or income is decided between the player and the agent rather than an agent and a club.

I feel this system would benefit youth as well as for every player that makes it in the league system there are 20 who could have but end up stacking shelves at Tesco.

You could argue everyone will go off and sign for a huge European league club but I can guarantee there will be hundreds of lads wanting to come out playing for a team regardless of stature and lower pay 

Edited by Nexus_Canary

17 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Salary caps aren't illegal, they're just contrary to common sense.

They are perfectly common sense if you care about the health of the sport and sporting competition as a whole. 

It is absurd that so much of football is dictated by which owners have the biggest wallets and it leads to situations like we see all over Europe now. It is pretty much nailed on each season that you will see the big leagues topped by a combination of Bayern, Man City, Barca, Madrid and PSG, while they will also make up the majority of the Champions League semi finals. That isn't healthy for any competition and the only way to combat it is evening out how much can be spent by each club.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

That doesn't say they are illegal- it says the EFL broke their agreement with the PFA to consult them on major changes such as this.

The FA gave in to the PFA over a salary in 1961 because they were threatened with legal action. That happened again with League 1 and 2 more recently. 

It may be possible to have an overall cap based on turnover but that just leads to cheating which is very difficult to stop. Try proving that the Saudi owners of a big club aren't paying money to a player using offshore accounts. There are already whispers that it's happening and it has happened in the past. Very easy to do and almost impossible to stop. 

I'm of the view that football is already broken and it's too late to do anything about it. The only answer in my mind is for a European Super League with no financial rules. The problem is that the majority of fans of the big 7 or 8 clubs in this country don't want it. 

I have heard people say that they have lost interest and started watching local football. That's all well and good but there is an awful lot of naughtiness even in the Thurlow Nunn league and very little loyalty (with some notable exceptions) 

Sorry if that all sounds a bit negative! 

Salary cap..

Get rid of the 3pm blackout 

Var changes

A direct streaming platform

Retrospective bans for diving

Better revenue sharing across the teams.  

Changes to make hoarding players who don't play difficult

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The FA gave in to the PFA over a salary in 1961 because they were threatened with legal action. That happened again with League 1 and 2 more recently. 

It may be possible to have an overall cap based on turnover but that just leads to cheating which is very difficult to stop. Try proving that the Saudi owners of a big club aren't paying money to a player using offshore accounts. There are already whispers that it's happening and it has happened in the past. Very easy to do and almost impossible to stop. 

I'm of the view that football is already broken and it's too late to do anything about it. The only answer in my mind is for a European Super League with no financial rules. The problem is that the majority of fans of the big 7 or 8 clubs in this country don't want it. 

I have heard people say that they have lost interest and started watching local football. That's all well and good but there is an awful lot of naughtiness even in the Thurlow Nunn league and very little loyalty (with some notable exceptions) 

The NFL does the salary cap thing well.  If earnings from other sources aren't declared it'd be a lifetime ban from the sport...

There's a lot more parity among teams there due to it.

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Yeah I think we probably largely agree. The horse bolted long ago and I'm not sure there is any event that could trigger the kind of financial reordering needed to actually make football competitive again. Long ago we decided football clubs were just businesses and thus should always prioritise their own profits over any sense of protecting football as a sport.

If there was an ESL I'd hope the clubs left behind picking up the pieces might be willing to actually think about the health of the game rather than just their own bottom lines.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Haus said:

The NFL does the salary cap thing well.  If earnings from other sources aren't declared it'd be a lifetime ban from the sport...

There are some flaws in the NFL model that can be exploited by richer owners but its still a very solid model in terms of making sure nobody dominates.

6 hours ago, Haus said:

The problem is that financial crime is treated seriously in America. In this country no one gets prosecuted and a lot of people applaud. 

6 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah I think we probably largely agree. The horse bolted long ago and I'm not sure there is any event that could trigger the kind of financial reordering needed to actually make football competitive again. Long ago we decided football clubs were just businesses and thus should always prioritise their own profits over any sense of protecting football as a sport.

If there was an ESL I'd hope the clubs left behind picking up the pieces might be willing to actually think about the health of the game rather than just their own bottom lines.

The problem may be that the Conservative Party hates football and always has. Lineker has made them hate it even more. They went to different schools to you and me and simply don't understand it, although they happily take the money.