Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

England V Scotland; The friendly world cup final

41 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Is there any hype for this game? It's a boring friendly no?

Kenny and Angus from an NCFC perspective and there is no such thing as a friendly between England and the sweaties

Edited by Don’t be Krul
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Is there any hype for this game? It's a boring friendly no?

I was going to ask this. Do any England fans really care about this game? Agree with @splendidrush that it means much more to Scotland. Personally I can't remember the last time I watched an England friendly. Even WC and EC qualifiers are pretty tedious now the tournaments have so many teams that qualification is virtually assured from the start.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If I was a club manager I'd be worried about any of my players being on the same pitch as Scott McTominay tonight. It's an accident waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

The history of the first ever game 150/151 years ago is interesting. At that time the English tactics involved surrounding their own players in possession and charging the opposition. Scotland came up with the novel idea of passing the ball to each other which confused the English no end. The Times, reporting on the game, accused Scotland of cheating. 

Source https://www.waterstones.com/book/inverting-the-pyramid/jonathan-wilson/9781399610094

Well worth a read 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Can't say I'm that bothered tbh and had there been a Rugby match on I may have not even bothered to watch. It's already relegated to C4 so it doesn't clash with EastEnders and Corrie.

It's Scotland v England by the way, another tough away game with the Jocks having an extra recovery day. They really shouldn't lose this game. England have injuries and I would imagine Southgate will shuffle the pack a bit before the game dissolves with a raft of 2nd half substitutions.

They hate us, it's their World Cuo Final and would rather miss out on the Euros than lose to us. Souness will be in full flow tonight!

Even England playing in a tournament these days yields little to no interest for me, so a friendly, even against Scotland, will come and go with no more than a flicker of interest, will probably see result when I go online tomorrow morning and then move on.

Club before country yadda yadda yadda.

Besides, where I currently live, France is a hell of a lot closer than Scotland, so that would be my international 'derby' these days!

1 hour ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Kenny and Angus from an NCFC perspective and there is no such thing as a friendly between England and the sweaties

All im going to say is that tonight will be the only time I will be happy to see Gunn letting in goals

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

"Friendly World Cup Final"

Really?

This is not 1967.

Believe it or not, I'm not exactly being serious. Its mostly a jab at Scotland team thread we had on here in which there were jokes made about today being their world cup final

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

If I was a club manager I'd be worried about any of my players being on the same pitch as Scott McTominay tonight. It's an accident waiting to happen. 

McTominay vs Grealish will be a sight to see

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

All im going to say is that tonight will be the only time I will be happy to see Gunn letting in goals

Believe it or not, I'm not exactly being serious. Its mostly a jab at Scotland team thread we had on here in which there were jokes made about today being their world cup final

McTominay vs Grealish will be a sight to see

Grealish isn't in the squad

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

the novel idea of passing the ball to each other which confused the English no end.

Not sure English football has ever really made its peace with players passing the ball to each other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, if it's about national anthems then Flower of Scotland beats God Save The King in the same way Breidis Prescott smacked Amir Khan's head into row......H in less than a minute.

A Jockghanistani friend of mine sent me this and he has been banging on for the last week about this game.

No description available.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

A Jockghanistani friend of mine sent me this and he has been banging on for the last week about this game.

No description available.

He loves Scotland so much he lives and works in England. What a true scotsman!

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, if it's about national anthems then Flower of Scotland beats God Save The King in the same way Breidis Prescott smacked Amir Khan's head into row......H in less than a minute.

I think the majority of England supporters would like an English anthem. It's been discussed at length on this forum in the past. Unfortunately  the heir to the throne is the President of the FA and I very much doubt anyone within that organisation would have the guts to bring it up. 

We should really have an English Parliament as well...... 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Says the Norwich fan who never attends matches

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Thankfully it's nothing about national anthems.

I will tune in and out of it I suspect, whilst the Scot's have probably arranged a public holiday for the match.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair, Kane lives and works in Germany, which is a damn sight further than Liverpool is to Scotland. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LaUnionCanary said:

Billy boy will run England ragged, he is the Scots messiah, the greatest since Denis Law. Or reality will prevail and boredom will set in.

Perhaps he might, but he was still sh1t for us and that will never change.