dylanisabaddog

Old photos of Carrow Road area

21 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The stand that burnt down still looks on par with the one still standing. 

Obviously you never sat in it.

It was very very basic, even for its time.

18 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

The old supporters association was an important contributor to club funds in the days before money flooded in from TV worlwide contracts. They paid the fee for Gerry Howshall from WBA (£40000) and contributed to several other player signings. The roof or the corner infill between the South Stand and Barclay was funded (fully or in part I’m not sure) by the NCFSA. Tangible, another brother and I ran the club shop in the rebuilt City stand for quite a few seasons before the club took it over. Dad loved the club and was a good friend of Geoff Watling which gave me the occasional opportunity to travel with the directors to away games. Happy days long lost to the influence of the influx of money in the game.

After the 58/59 Cup Run the South Stand was extended & roofed.  For a short while it was known as 'The Supporters' Stand'  - see pic - but this title didn't stick.

South Stand name undated.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

After the 58/59 Cup Run the South Stand was extended & roofed.  For a short while it was known as 'The Supporters' Stand'  - see pic - but this title didn't stick.

South Stand name undated.jpg

I bet @nutty nigel hasn't seen this one before, mind you i doubt anybody has.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

You could buy cushions to sit on however, if things weren’t going too well they would rain down onto the pitch, linesmen were regularly hit on the head.

Found a box of old programs in my parents loft. The one from the first game of the new jarrrold/south stand has a great double page of the progress of demoltion/building of the stand. I'll be back there tomorrow to take pics. 

Was that the same West ham game when etherington got sent off for dicking about by the corner flag? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

carrowroadpast1.jpg.b1cd26f018f927a23b4e286957c0b29b.jpg

Just a random photo i found on the internet.

Probably the opening match of CR (has to be before Nov 1936 because the Thorpe End is uncovered)

On 10/09/2023 at 21:11, nutty nigel said:

Nevermind bicycles...

queue.jpg.669279f5efb6b9b65ad59bc7016919e0.jpg

You were well proud of that ticket @ricardo :classic_smile:

I don't really remember this shop open...

20-carrow-road-norwich_orig.thumb.jpg.0b5713a97e6e4c9eeffc4927067f7592.jpg

Mrs KG lived on Stanley Avenue and we used to go in that shop. I distinctly remember buying Vesta Ready Meals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Mrs KG lived on Stanley Avenue and we used to go in that shop. I distinctly remember buying Vesta Ready Meals.

You're such a catch KGD, and know how to treat the ladies........smooooooth. 

On 13/09/2023 at 21:51, Crafty Canary said:

The old supporters association was an important contributor to club funds in the days before money flooded in from TV worlwide contracts. They paid the fee for Gerry Howshall from WBA (£40000) and contributed to several other player signings. The roof or the corner infill between the South Stand and Barclay was funded (fully or in part I’m not sure) by the NCFSA. Tangible, another brother and I ran the club shop in the rebuilt City stand for quite a few seasons before the club took it over. Dad loved the club and was a good friend of Geoff Watling which gave me the occasional opportunity to travel with the directors to away games. Happy days long lost to the influence of the influx of money in the game.

And this place @Crafty Canary

Edited by nutty nigel

On 13/09/2023 at 11:25, TIL 1010 said:

As the fire of 1984 has been mentioned....

and before anybody asks no not a relation.

lol! "The vice-chairman was still smiling"

For 20 years the rumour that it was an insurance job refused to go away.  Then someone unearthed the ballboys' supervisor who swore blind that he had left a heater on in their changing room, which only served to reinforce it.

Edited by benchwarmer

31 minutes ago, benchwarmer said:

lol! "The vice-chairman was still smiling"

For 20 years the rumour that it was an insurance job refused to go away.  Then someone unearthed the ballboys' supervisor who swore blind that he had left a heater on in their changing room, which only served to reinforce it.

That was D ick Cann aka the Singing Plasterer aka the dad of Darren Cann. 

Edited by nutty nigel

On 13/09/2023 at 21:51, Crafty Canary said:

Nice to see you posting, Crafty. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ricardo said:

The best thing about it was reserve team games. There were wooden dividers between the blocks and you could slide from top to bottom. Until misery guts Allison stopped you. He hated children enjoying themselves 😂

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Before they put the gate up between the stands

image.thumb.png.a7360fad532fb263e108ed94f69bf774.png

The newly roofed Olde Barclay I assume?  How I loved emerging through the gates at the top after the climb up the stairs when i was a kid.  Always took up my spot by 1.40 at the latest to enjoy the build up and the atmosphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

The newly roofed Olde Barclay I assume?  How I loved emerging through the gates at the top after the climb up the stairs when i was a kid.  Always took up my spot by 1.40 at the latest to enjoy the build up and the atmosphere.

This view was likely 1960s

Up until (at least) 1959 the main advertisement above the goal was "Steward & Patterson"

And floodlights weren't installed until October 1956.

1 hour ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

Could be having a senior moment of course M'Lud but my initial thought was that this is the South Stand. Take a look at the Heyhoe advert and then this photo taken just after it was seated.

norwich-city-carrow-road-south-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

11c8cb858dfcdd56be2bc95795aa6005.jpg

V Leicester 1963 and the record crowd of 43,894. I am sure you can read the caption.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Lord Horn (again) said:

It's the South Stand not the Barclay. Photo taken from the River End.

23 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It's the South Stand not the Barclay. Photo taken from the River End.

So maybe i was not having a senior moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Could be having a senior moment of course M'Lud but my initial thought was that this is the South Stand. Take a look at the Heyhoe advert and then this photo taken just after it was seated.

norwich-city-carrow-road-south-stand-2-1970s-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

Why were the seats blue & red ?
Did we scavenge them from Barcelona ?

16 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

So maybe i was not having a senior moment.

The Heyhoe advert on your pic from the Leicester shows it to be the Southstand.

I had never seen that Leicester picture before.

This is a great thread!

On 14/09/2023 at 16:32, TIL 1010 said:

I bet @nutty nigel hasn't seen this one before, mind you i doubt anybody has.

I expect the photographer has, they often do look at what their photographs come out as when developed.