Google Bot

Meanwhile, in Madrid....

Makes our well overdue renovation of the City stand look like child's play.

Anyone ever seen this before?  I find it both amazing and terrifying.  If I was playing on that pitch I would just be thinking about the massive hollow drop beneath me.  No wonder they've had instances of games being delayed due to safety checks in the past!

I saw this last week. 500M to renovate it. I honestly find Spanish football more obscene than ours. Only two clubs who get the majority of TV money. Get themselves into debt and find it written off one way or another. Then buy players for stupid fees (Coutinho at Barcelona) and the cycle starts all over again. My nieces husband is from Valencia but is Barcelona because its Spain or Catalunya.

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I honestly find Spanish football more obscene than ours. Only two clubs who get the majority of TV money. Get themselves into debt and find it written off one way or another.

I guess the investment into something like this at least spreads out to jobs in the areas - a lot of people must've got paid for a project like this and it's impressive engineering so they have something physical to show for it.

I'd rather see this than a single entity (Neymar type) walking up the road with millions in his back pocket.  And it does make you consider the money we've put into players vs what else we could've done with it that would've lasted 30/40/50 years.

But that's just football, I guess.  God knows what the Middle East money men think when they see constructions like this, I wouldn't put it past them to plonk a pitch on top of a tall building and set up an exhibition match up there with the names they're plucking, like they did in Dubai with Federer vs Agassi.

It's pretty cool.

I would have no problem playing on it - do you think about the hollow drop below you when you're lying in bed? (assuming you don't live in a Bungalow...).

21 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

It's pretty cool.

I would have no problem playing on it - do you think about the hollow drop below you when you're lying in bed? (assuming you don't live in a Bungalow...).

or the Underground when walking around London! 😉

58 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

There's not a Bond villains cave 25m tall beneath my bedroom, though.  If there was, I'd probably consider it when first sleeping there for sure. :classic_wink:

I'd certainly be shocked if you revealed it to me one day.. "Oh, by the way...."

It's just mad to think that exists under the pitch, I wonder if you got right up close to the grass if you could feel the join too.

54 minutes ago, duke63 said:

or the Underground when walking around London!

Chalk mines in the City were a fear of mine after that bus fell through one!  I was quite young, though.

p05zy4jb.jpg

You'll never catch me driving a double decker along the wings of the Bernabeu pitch, put it that way!

Edited by Google Bot
  • Haha 1

Might be wrong but isn't Cardiff Milenium Stadium also dug out? I remember getting there and thinking well that doesn't look very big only to go inside and bleeding massive!

My old dad (RIP) used to tell me there's all manner of crap under the pitch at Carrow Rd including trucks etc. 

1 hour ago, LaUnionCanary said:

My memory says that in the past a team in France, possibly Monaco, did have a pitch on top of a building. But maybe I am delusional.

Monaco’s pitch has-or used to have-a car park underneath it. I don’t know if the car park was there first or if it was part of the new stadium design. I remember hearing that players thought that it affected the bounce of the ball.

11 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Isn't Spurs the same ?

Yeah. They were the first ones to have a dividing retractable pitch.

It also houses an artificial pitch for American Football. It's all very clever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pyro Pete said:

Yeah. They were the first ones to have a dividing retractable pitch.

It also houses an artificial pitch for American Football. It's all very clever.

Don't they also do it so you can have concerts there and move the pitch so the audience doesn't wreck it? 

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Makes our well overdue renovation of the City stand look like child's play.

Anyone ever seen this before?  I find it both amazing and terrifying.  If I was playing on that pitch I would just be thinking about the massive hollow drop beneath me.  No wonder they've had instances of games being delayed due to safety checks in the past!

The Arizona Cardinals play on a field with a movable pitch.  The pitch is moved outside for sunshine and returns for games.  The main idea here is Phoenix weather can be brutal and playing inside a covered stadium is a must.

• Like 1