Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Yobocop’s Big Question of the week: Loan Stars and Flops

Hey there fellow Canaries fans!

It's that time of the week again, and I've got a couple of questions to toss your way. Let's get chatting!

1. **Favourite Non-Permanent Loan Players:** Over the years, we've had some fantastic loan players who left a lasting impression. Who are your all-time favorite non-permanent loan players at Norwich City? Share your picks and why they made an impact!

2. **Loan Player Disappointment:** On the flip side, which loan player did you have high hopes for but, alas, it just didn't work out? Whether it was injuries or unexpected struggles, tell us about the loanee you thought would be a success but didn't quite hit the mark.

Let's keep the Canaries' spirit alive and buzzing! Looking forward to your responses.

Oh, and another fine win against Millwall, indeed!

Much love,

Yobocop 🟡💚🔰

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Hey there fellow Canaries fans!

It's that time of the week again, and I've got a couple of questions to toss your way. Let's get chatting!

1. **Favourite Non-Permanent Loan Players:** Over the years, we've had some fantastic loan players who left a lasting impression. Who are your all-time favorite non-permanent loan players at Norwich City? Share your picks and why they made an impact!

2. **Loan Player Disappointment:** On the flip side, which loan player did you have high hopes for but, alas, it just didn't work out? Whether it was injuries or unexpected struggles, tell us about the loanee you thought would be a success but didn't quite hit the mark.

Let's keep the Canaries' spirit alive and buzzing! Looking forward to your responses.

Oh, and another fine win against Millwall, indeed!

Much love,

Yobocop 🟡💚🔰

Good one !  Fave for me is Jordan Rhodes, I can't remember a loan player who was so fully part of the squad but never signed permanently.  Honourable mention for Dani Pacheco who made a great impact in a short time not just for that goal vs the scum.

Disappointments are a long list, but a certain B. Gilmour comes immediately to mind... not often a loan player coming in has my non-City supporting friends saying what a good loan he'll be for us and then contribute so poorly.

• Like 1

Just now, It's Character Forming said:

Good one !  Fave for me is Jordan Rhodes, I can't remember a loan player who was so fully part of the squad but never signed permanently.  Honourable mention for Dani Pacheco who made a great impact in a short time not just for that goal vs the scum.

Disappointments are a long list, but a certain B. Gilmour comes immediately to mind... not often a loan player coming in has my non-City supporting friends saying what a good loan he'll be for us and then contribute so poorly.

We’re off to a great start 

No-one mentioned Oliver Skipp yet? We still wish we got a player like him years on!

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

No-one mentioned Oliver Skipp yet? We still wish we got a player like him years on!

You’re only the 2nd contributor so skipp is a fair shout 

• Like 1

Jan Molby? Not sure he ever left the centre circle. Not sure he counts as a disappointment, though: doubt anyone's hopes were that high when they saw his, um, circumference when he joined us.

• Haha 2

Just now, Robert N. LiM said:

Jan Molby? Not sure he ever left the centre circle. Not sure he counts as a disappointment, though: doubt anyone's hopes were that high when they saw his, um, circumference when he joined us.

LOL yes I can still vividly remember his total lack of mobility.

And after some driving misdemeanours there was the chant "he's fat, he's round, his car is in the pound, Jan Molby!"

• Haha 1

Henri Lansbury was a brilliant loan addition in the Lambert years. How many of those last minute winners would have been scored without his presence. 

Martin Chivers was a really huge disappointment when we loaned him in the early 80's. Well past his best! 

• Like 1

Peter Crouch. Worthington really should've made him a permanent. 

We've had some clangers lately - Marquinhos, Kabak, Normann, Gilmour spring to mind immediately. Then Graham Stuart, Dean Marney, Zesh Rehman, Elmander, Bamford, Duda, Patrick Roberts, Marcus Edwards, Killen, Lupoli, Sibierski...

2 minutes ago, mrdi said:

Peter Crouch. Worthington really should've made him a permanent. 

We've had some clangers lately - Marquinhos, Kabak, Normann, Gilmour spring to mind immediately. Then Graham Stuart, Dean Marney, Zesh Rehman, Elmander, Bamford, Duda, Patrick Roberts, Marcus Edwards, Killen, Lupoli, Sibierski...

Ah yes, Sitonhisarski was a real waste of a loan space! But that list just shows there is a negative reason why clubs loan some players out!

Wasn't Becchio a loan player? Either way a disappointing one for me.

Honourable mention also to a certain Bayern forward.

Edited by mrD66M

Rhodes for the Ipswich angle but Skipp for sheer quality/

Biggest disappointment probably Gilmour, can't remember the last time a loan signing for us had such coverage and it just never worked for him or us during his time here.

Harry Kane must be the biggest disappointment given what he has gone to achieve. I still maintain it is a different person who played for us. Joking aside a great lesson to all players about how much hard work can pay off as he looked miles off it when on loan to us.

Has to Hucks for the best ever loan, really galvanised the whole team transforming it from a solid workmanlike outfit into a winning machine, the following will he / won't he permanent signing just added to the legend.

As for the rum'uns, well there's been a few over the years but I think it has to be wee Billy.

1 minute ago, Segura said:

Has to Hucks for the best ever loan, really galvanised the whole team transforming it from a solid workmanlike outfit into a winning machine, the following will he / won't he permanent signing just added to the legend.

As for the rum'uns, well there's been a few over the years but I think it has to be wee Billy.

Hucks doesn’t fit the spec as then became a permanent but agree with you!  

43 minutes ago, mrD66M said:

Wasn't Becchio a loan player? Either way a disappointing one for me.

Honourable mention also to a certain Bayern forward.

Got a feeling becchio was a permanent - and flop 

• Like 1

Just now, Yobocop said:

Hucks doesn’t fit the spec as then became a permanent but agree with you!  

Ah sorry, didn't have my reading glasses on!

In that case, I go for Skippy and a mention too for Scott Parker, he was a diamond in a cowpat at the time!

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

And after some driving misdemeanours there was the chant "he's fat, he's round, his car is in the pound, Jan Molby!"

Haha, I remember that now you mention it

1 minute ago, Robert N. LiM said:

Haha, I remember that now you mention it

Just as well it wasn't Roger Hunt, really.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I don't think Becchio was given enough opportunity to say he was a flop. Hardly got any game time at all.

He was scoring terrifically for Leeds. Baffled why we signed him when we clearly had no interest in using him.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't think Becchio was given enough opportunity to say he was a flop. Hardly got any game time at all.

He was scoring terrifically for Leeds. Baffled why we signed him when we clearly had no interest in using him.

Fair comment 

Shout out for Ryan Bertrand played an incredible 60 games on loan for us and did a decent enough job.

As others have said, Skipp and Crouch stand out amongst the positive loanees who didn't sign permanently.

The biggest disappointments that I remember are Duda, David Bentley and Ben Marshall, all of whom I had relatively high hopes for and none of whom seemed to want to be here.  As a matter of demonstrable record in the case of Marshall.  Perhaps slightly unfair on Bentley who was half decent, but not quite the player I'd hoped he'd be (and perhaps coloured with the hindsight of knowing how little he cared about playing professional football in general.)

John Hartson probably worth a shout as well.  Less a striker, more a fixed hazard by that stage of his career as his legs had completely gone, although I will caveat that with not knowing if his well-documented illness was having an effect by then or not.

But thinking back in terms of players who I didn't have particular expectations of and who also proved to be terrible, we have signed an awful lot of dross on loan over the years.

2 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

As others have said, Skipp and Crouch stand out amongst the positive loanees who didn't sign permanently.

The biggest disappointments that I remember are Duda, David Bentley and Ben Marshall, all of whom I had relatively high hopes for and none of whom seemed to want to be here.  As a matter of demonstrable record in the case of Marshall.  Perhaps slightly unfair on Bentley who was half decent, but not quite the player I'd hoped he'd be (and perhaps coloured with the hindsight of knowing how little he cared about playing professional football in general.)

John Hartson probably worth a shout as well.  Less a striker, more a fixed hazard by that stage of his career as his legs had completely gone, although I will caveat that with not knowing if his well-documented illness was having an effect by then or not.

But thinking back in terms of players who I didn't have particular expectations of and who also proved to be terrible, we have signed an awful lot of dross on loan over the years.

Happy to be proven wrong but believe marshall was a permanent 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

Ben Marshall was a permanent, not a loan.

Ben Marshall and Teemu Pukki join Norwich City - BBC Sport

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Henri Lansbury was a brilliant loan addition in the Lambert years. How many of those last minute winners would have been scored without his presence. 

Martin Chivers was a really huge disappointment when we loaned him in the early 80's. Well past his best! 

I hadn't actually remembered him playing for us and was actually convinced that he mainly played in the '60s and early 70s so was majorly surprised to hear he was still going in the 80s and had to look it up.

Turns out it was the '78-79 season and he would have been around 33-34 (and I would have been 4 so perhaps unsurprising I don't remember it too well ...)  No idea about his performance level - and he was certainly in the twilight of his career by then - but 4 in 11 according to Wiki isn't too shabby for the top division ?  

• Thanks 1