14 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Not happening I’m afraid. We have Adam Idah.

until he is injured

play 4 miss 10

Just now, canarybubbles said:

"How can they tell?"

we only have the past to go by and he always injured

3 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Agreed. And it’s all part of the malaise, the fans are part of it too.

Its also symptomatic of Norwich fans to put mediocrity on a pedestal. Just look at Bradley Johnson, incidentally McLean strikes me as the current BJ. All huff and puff with toblerone feet who opposition players breeze past without a care in the world. Yet apparently he’s the answer, first name on the teamsheet etc.

Yes he had a couple of good games but if we’re pinning our hopes on players of this calibre then we deserve all we get.

Plus Bradley Johnson was a better player than McClean. And of far more use from distance. The weaknesses in our squad are obvious to see. No decent DCM, no real no9, weak options at left back, and no creative type between 8/10. 
Barnes may be a useful link at 10, hopefully that helps Sargent (albeit I don’t think he’s fit to lace the no9 boots of past City strikers).  Sara hopefully more creative and box to box this season - but only if we find a decent DCM. Otherwise teams will carry on running through us and past McClean 

• Like 1

Just adding to the positivity in this thread, anyone know when Sara will actually be available?

Missing most of pre season isn't great prep for a team we are led to believe will be built around a high energy press.

I still think our midfield is really ordinary and pretty much relies on Kenny not being injured the entire season, and Sara and Nunez finding some consistency.

14 hours ago, East Rider said:

We will probably need Kenny McLean and his desire and motivation on the pitch a lot next season. 

He is an easy target and after his performances last season, this looking for a scape goat should have stopped.

That very fact tells me so much about the state of this squad…. If you and other fans are pinning your hopes of success on the influence of Kenny McLean then you should have low expectations.     

if you think we will need his desire and motivation to avoid real trauma, I could understand that.   

He really isn’t that influential in my opinion, certainly not at the successful end of this league.    In the absence of quality we need proper CDMs, who have natural defensive instincts.   McLean doesn’t.

5 hours ago, S_81 said:

Plus Bradley Johnson was a better player than McClean. And of far more use from distance. The weaknesses in our squad are obvious to see. No decent DCM, no real no9, weak options at left back, and no creative type between 8/10. 
Barnes may be a useful link at 10, hopefully that helps Sargent (albeit I don’t think he’s fit to lace the no9 boots of past City strikers).  Sara hopefully more creative and box to box this season - but only if we find a decent DCM. Otherwise teams will carry on running through us and past McClean 

Basically, this squad needs Warnock…. No quality but we now have some beef!

McLean, if he was any good he would be playing for his country. High press - or closing down as was once known. I am sure there are plenty of young strikers in the PL who we could take on loan, but as with most PL loans they will only become available near the end of Aug (window shuts).  Idah will have to have some incredible transformation in the next few games to be considered a vital part of the squad.

There is at least another signing in the offing, otherwise Wagner would not be so foolish as to set himself up for a fal, if none were to come in. Strip away the cliches and all Wagner is doing is getting the players to player a more positive, attacking game. The mirror image of Hughton.

Barnes looks like he is going to be a crowd favourite, A played hated by opposition fans but loved by us. And maybe a few of the whiners will take a break. Yes we have brought in some failures as loans. But who saw a free signing in Pukki would become what he did ? Likewise the injured and 'forgotten' Krul. Nothing special about Skipp, till he got here. Or the dirt cheap Hoolahan, and Holt

And that sorts out where you are in respect of the club. For me, here we are with another season looming. We have had the kind of success over the past 13 years that the binners could only dream of having, just the one of those title winning seasons.season. We are not in any financial difficulty, not owned by some overseas scam merchant, nor struggling in obscurity after years of mediocrity.

There's plety of fans up and down the country would gladly swap places with us. And some well known fans who have left us who won;t ever get that chance. So let's get stuck in later this afternoon, give the cheese heads a sore head and look forward to the season.

Enjoy it while you can.

2 minutes ago, RobJames said:

McLean, if he was any good he would be playing for his country. High press - or closing down as was once known. I am sure there are plenty of young strikers in the PL who we could take on loan, but as with most PL loans they will only become available near the end of Aug (window shuts).  Idah will have to have some incredible transformation in the next few games to be considered a vital part of the squad.

There is at least another signing in the offing, otherwise Wagner would not be so foolish as to set himself up for a fal, if none were to come in. Strip away the cliches and all Wagner is doing is getting the players to player a more positive, attacking game. The mirror image of Hughton.

Barnes looks like he is going to be a crowd favourite, A played hated by opposition fans but loved by us. And maybe a few of the whiners will take a break. Yes we have brought in some failures as loans. But who saw a free signing in Pukki would become what he did ? Likewise the injured and 'forgotten' Krul. Nothing special about Skipp, till he got here. Or the dirt cheap Hoolahan, and Holt

And that sorts out where you are in respect of the club. For me, here we are with another season looming. We have had the kind of success over the past 13 years that the binners could only dream of having, just the one of those title winning seasons.season. We are not in any financial difficulty, not owned by some overseas scam merchant, nor struggling in obscurity after years of mediocrity.

There's plety of fans up and down the country would gladly swap places with us. And some well known fans who have left us who won;t ever get that chance. So let's get stuck in later this afternoon, give the cheese heads a sore head and look forward to the season.

Enjoy it while you can.

Positivity, on here........ Who would of thunk it

7 minutes ago, RobJames said:

Enjoy it while you can.

You're not allowed nowadays to refer to people as cheese heads.

5 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

That very fact tells me so much about the state of this squad…. If you and other fans are pinning your hopes of success on the influence of Kenny McLean then you should have low expectations.     

if you think we will need his desire and motivation to avoid real trauma, I could understand that.   

He really isn’t that influential in my opinion, certainly not at the successful end of this league.    In the absence of quality we need proper CDMs, who have natural defensive instincts.   McLean doesn’t.

You are being very selective here Ged. 

I actually said before that, in this thread: 

My feeling is that if we go with what we have we may struggle/flounder around mid table. Certainly can't see us challenging for promotion.

Fingers crossed the Sarge stays fit.

I simply feel if we go with what we have (which will be close to what we currently have) we will NEED the desire of players like a KM to keep us out of the mire. Never said I'm pining my hopes of success on him (learned those harsh lessons over the 5 decades I've been interested in all thing Norwich city) .

I'm not happy about the situation at all, not a single bit of it, and feel we have a weak squad. 

I also never stated anything as a fact. Fact is, I'm quite facked off about it

On 18/07/2023 at 16:22, For the future said:

On what I have seen we need a goal scorer to get us back to the premier league 

We are the needzor tha. New strika we dunt have striker.

Striker now pukki leavey

Striker 

Stiekr

We have 3 you clucking idiot 

We have wanting a new striker since pukki went off the boil about two seasons ago ,  still have not got a decent one , this I fear will be our downfall again 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yellowhammer said:

We have wanting a new striker since pukki went off the boil about two seasons ago ,  still have not got a decent one , this I fear will be our downfall again 

It's like half our fan base missed the part where josh Sargent was top goal scorer last season.

I'm actually drifting into the camp of "half our fans are thick as sh!t"  our fan base is as depressing as the last couple of seasons football.

28 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

It's like half our fan base missed the part where josh Sargent was top goal scorer last season.

I'm actually drifting into the camp of "half our fans are thick as sh!t"  our fan base is as depressing as the last couple of seasons football.

Yes, and the other part where he was comic relief for the season before. 

Which is the real Josh Sargent, Bambi on ice or top goal scorer? I guess this season will tell. Personally I expect him to bag 15+ goals but there's always the chance that he will revert to someone who falls over his own feet. I'd feel much happier if we had some kind of insurance/back-up if that happens. And I don't mean Idah.

Our wide players are pretty crucial if we really are going to play 2 up top. 

Onel really has to deliver this season. Actually get some decent crosses in for once. Hopefully we'll find better quality and he'll be an off the bench player.

17 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Yes, and the other part where he was comic relief for the season before. 

Which is the real Josh Sargent, Bambi on ice or top goal scorer? I guess this season will tell. Personally I expect him to bag 15+ goals but there's always the chance that he will revert to someone who falls over his own feet. I'd feel much happier if we had some kind of insurance/back-up if that happens. And I don't mean Idah.

Barnes?

Come on comic relief?

Have a heart / brain. The lad was 21 moved to a new country , playing in the toughest league in the world and had just become a dad for the first time. Talk about life upheavel. That's firmly on Stuart Webber not josh Sargent. I find comments about his first season somewhat ignorant and somewhat stupid.

Anyway moving on....

Sargent was stuck back on the wing as soon as Pukki hit full fitness.

I am no Dean Smith fan however wouldn't it have been interesting if Pukki's injury had been a broken leg and seen him out longer?

Sargent playing as our lone striker saw us go on the fabled Smith unbeaten run.

Would Smith have finished in the play offs or better if pukki had been out longer or dropped? Arguably his return ended our good form?

Again pukki was a servant but had his worst run with us last year. Running his contract down and he had lost a couple of yards and he missed a handful he would have scored the year before.

Sometimes when a team set up around one player and they don't perform its thier undoing.

Is this what ultimately happened to us in the end? Pukki finally let us down?

Not necessarily my opinion but food for thought maybe?

Edited by Nexus_Canary

16 minutes ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Barnes?

Come on comic relief?

Have a heart / brain. The lad was 21 moved to a new country , playing in the toughest league in the world and had just become a dad for the first time. Talk about life upheavel. That's firmly on Stuart Webber not josh Sargent. I find comments about his first season somewhat ignorant and somewhat stupid.

Anyway moving on....

Sargent was stuck back on the wing as soon as Pukki hit full fitness.

I am no Dean Smith fan however wouldn't it have been interesting if Pukki's injury had been a broken leg and seen him out longer?

Sargent playing as our lone striker saw us go on the fabled Smith unbeaten run.

Would Smith have finished in the play offs or better if pukki had been out longer or dropped? Arguably his return ended our good form?

Again pukki was a servant but had his worst run with us last year. Running his contract down and he had lost a couple of yards and he missed a handful he would have scored the year before.

Sometimes when a team set up around one player and they don't perform its thier undoing.

Is this what ultimately happened to us in the end? Pukki finally let us down?

Not necessarily my opinion but food for thought maybe?

Pukki didn’t let us down Webber let him and us down by not signing a creative player and a DM who could stay fit.

• Like 1

We can never prove or disprove what we say regarding what went wrong last season. My personal reading is that we (Smith) didn't make a strong decision. Either we move Sargent up to number 9 and drop Pukki or put him in a number ten role, or we try to recapture the formation that had made Pukki so successful for us, but, crucially, we try to do this without Buendia.

One thing won't change in my opinion, and that is Sargent's lack of basic technical ability. If we play him up front this season, and I have alreadly said I would expect him to score goals, we just forget any desire to play attractive one-touch football and just lump it up. Sargent is awkward and hard-working, so he'll cause lots of trouble - just don't expect deft flicks or for Sargent to become a fulcrum of beautiful flowing attacks. He'll get it right often enough, but also get it wrong a lot of the time. That may be enough for a top six place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Pukki didn’t let us down Webber let him and us down by not signing a creative player and a DM who could stay fit.

Fair point as well 👍

6 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

We can never prove or disprove what we say regarding what went wrong last season. My personal reading is that we (Smith) didn't make a strong decision. Either we move Sargent up to number 9 and drop Pukki or put him in a number ten role, or we try to recapture the formation that had made Pukki so successful for us, but, crucially, we try to do this without Buendia.

One thing won't change in my opinion, and that is Sargent's lack of basic technical ability. If we play him up front this season, and I have alreadly said I would expect him to score goals, we just forget any desire to play attractive one-touch football and just lump it up. Sargent is awkward and hard-working, so he'll cause lots of trouble - just don't expect deft flicks or for Sargent to become a fulcrum of beautiful flowing attacks. He'll get it right often enough, but also get it wrong a lot of the time. That may be enough for a top six place.

Yeh again, fair point, It does depend who's around him.

He can get away with lacking the technique if the people around him can work horse.

For the battering ram that was holt we had wesi.

The idea of Barnes and Sargent does make me think we are looking at a more smash mouth style.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

On 18/07/2023 at 20:41, non-scoring strikers said:

That we are heading into the new season with Sergeant as our only goal scoring striker should be a major concern for the club.

That we are heading into the new season with David Wagner as our manager should be a major concern for the club.

That we are heading into the season with our sporting director working his notice should be a major concern for the club.

That we are heading into the new season with Kenny McLean still employed here should be a major concern for the club.

Clubs only have themselves to blame for bad decisions through mismanagement etc. We’re currently in the thick of many, many inept decisions piling up, both on and off the field.

Next season is already written off and we need major boardroom changes and fast. Someone with a backbone and a bit of nous needs to take charge or we’re sleepwalking back into the football ether.

*ahem*