Michael Starr

Converting a Striker?

With the signing / linking of various wingers over the past few weeks and the cost of signing an actual striker of any goal scoring worth, I'm beginning to suspect that we're looking to convert one into a striker role. Perhaps that's the smart thing to do right now? Thierry Henry springs to mind, ex- left winger converted to striker.

FFS not another one of these

SARGENT , IDAH, BARNES , KAMARA

Edited by Nexus_Canary
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Since he got here Wagner has said that he wants 3 strikers in his squad. We have 3 strikers in the squad so unless we sell or loan one out we don't need a new one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Since he got here Wagner has said that he wants 3 strikers in his squad. We have 3 strikers in the squad so unless we sell or loan one out we don't need a new one.

Perhaps not, but we could really do with a good one.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

This will be Sarge's season

If you like last season was Sarge's but reliance on Pukki ruined it!

That will **** some people off 😂😂

I wouldn't bet even half the contents of my fridge on it, but it might, just might be Tzolis who fills that gap in the striking line-up.

It seems to have become more and more obvious as his City career has stuttered along that playing centrally might just suit him best.

I hope so. We need some return for all that outlay, some justification for all that hype and a few more goals like his strike last season.

6 hours ago, Conrad said:

Perhaps not, but we could really do with a good one.

We’ve got a good one, Sarge was on 20+ a season form played up top.

He gets anything over 15 this season that’s undoubtedly a good Championship striker.

Also take into account that Borja- and Gustavo Mosquito who we've been linked with- are much more goal-threat than traditional 'assisting' wingers.

I think a lineup with 1 striker and 2 'forwards' a la Klopps Liverpool is our most likely outcome.

With all these substitutes nowadays the more strikers the better. Another one on the City books for this long, injury ridden season seems imperative to me, but those against put up a decent argument, even though it might be more than a little too dependent upon Adam Idah striking gold at last. 

Easier said than done and beginning with the need to get the right one to complement our strike force.

I suppose the three main arguments against this rest on the cost factor, the limitations  on squad numbers and the fact that there is a glaring priority in midfield. We would all prefer that first and foremost we acquire that dynamic central defensive midfielder, that has been absent from our team since Skipp, left for Spurs rather than another goal getter.

In the meantime, we do have our fair share of players in other roles who can find the net, most notably Sara, and in Duffy and the new signings so far we do seem to have a greater goal threat than last season.

There's always the January window,

3 strikers, 3CB's and a handful of left wingers.  It is questionable if Wagners philosophy is going to work.  Surely with recent history and personnel we definitely need 4 fit strikers and CB's to get through the season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i thought this thread was could we convert a Striker to a CDM ? 

Why not, we are the club that converted Greg Downs from a striker to a left back.

13 hours ago, Monty13 said:

We’ve got a good one, Sarge was on 20+ a season form played up top.

He gets anything over 15 this season that’s undoubtedly a good Championship striker.

Going by training photos, Sarge has been given the no.9 shirt for this season. He’s going to be the main man. 

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Why not, we are the club that converted Greg Downs from a striker to a left back.

its going to be Idah isn't it

1 hour ago, mrdi said:

Going by training photos, Sarge has been given the no.9 shirt for this season. He’s going to be the main man. 

Good. I think hes decent, different to what we've had but still decent. If he is No9 and plays centrally , i see no reason why he cant get 15 + goals , barring serious injury.  Despite his smile and his boyish ginger curly hair , hes quite a physical handful .