CANARYKING

Michael and Delia are “ devastated “

8 hours ago, Google Bot said:

I can only speak of my own and friends first hand experience, and they've been brilliant.  I've had a season ticket off and on since I was a junior in the 80s and never had a issue with the club, I've been at corporate events with various people from the club and they've all been great.

The only first hand experience of negativity I had was at a party with an ex player and ex manager who felt they were isolated from the club, but this was during McNally's reign.

If you're saying the club is wrong to charge for hiring Carrow Road facilities for the wake of a fan, I really don't know the ins and outs of it all to really make a judgement and it appears you don't either?  I can only speak on first hand experiences, or those that I can make a fully informed decision on.

But I'm not trying to push a bias so not reaching for examples to match.

The issue in regards to this thread is whether the club are being unprofessional in being passionate about an outgoing staff member.  It seems that some think we are, others think we're not doing enough, and I'm somewhere in the middle.

But I know one thing for sure, when it's time for Delia to move on and we're looking at an American businessman at the helm who's face we see a few times each year, it may not be to everyone's taste.

Agreed that we need a change.

In the case in point in a sense it is an issue about press relations. If the press were inclined to publish that appeal they ought to have run it by the Club first. Given that they didnt the Club ought to have been onto the press and to have stated that they will sort it. In context Stephan Phillips when first appointed was supposed to maintain good relations with the press. Perhaps this is just the kind of issue that reflects the fact that S&J have been there too long.

If they want to reflect that they are sorry that Stu is leaving fair enough. Just a belief that 'devastated' isn't the correct terminology because that is more appropriate when we loose a loved one.

On 15/06/2023 at 11:30, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Delia and Michael are tone deaf. There's no need to say anything right now, and if they must, something short and professional! Thank or praise him for the work he's done and suggest the time is right for both parties move on. "absolutely devastated" suggests we can't do better, and implies he had their full unwavering support despite his high profile issues with fans and local media, etc. It's a terrible PR statement, and one that again shows how emotionally attached and weak the owners are when it comes to running a football club. 

Nope. It's not "terrible PR" - however, you want it to be, so carry on I guess. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The vendetta some people have is incredibly unreal and goes well beyond stretching things to try and find a stick to beat people with.

I mean, how dare they be "emotionally attached" or, you know, care. God forbid. 

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 09:17, essex canary said:

Moxy received more settlement money than actual salary. Where do you think the money comes from under self-funding? Clearly from the pockets of supporters  99.9% of whom will never have had a job with such privileges.

Just a belief that anyone and everyone should tend to their own garden in their own time without drawing a salary or settlement.

The same logic applies to shareholders unless you are a communist. 

What problem do you have with that?

Oh do go away and be quiet you tool.

You keep telling us how well you can read the club balance sheets as published, all this does is underline you bloomin well can't. Our model couldn't rely purely upon fan money... very few clubs in the premier league or championship actually could. In fact, a good deal of those clubs find most of their income from elsewhere - in the TV money.

Equally, once you have bought something, it's not your money anymore. You buy a season ticket to have the privilege of cheaper guaranteed match tickets essentially. At that point, the money is no longer yours.

The problem I have with "that" is that it is just another one of your attempts to desperately claw at the idea that the club isn't well run by trying to point out the money is robbed from the pockets of the fans. It's pathetic, your posts continue to be absolutely one dimensional and daft.

You are, what my old headmaster would call, a BS-er. You try to baffle brains with BS. Just like Bo-Jo and Trump. When that doesn't work you start throwing the proverbial about desperately hoping something sticks and you can get going with the BS again. Vast majority of this forum have you sussed out and have done for a very long time.

The only pockets you are interested is yours and how you line them. Greed. Plain and simple. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, essex canary said:

If they want to reflect that they are sorry that Stu is leaving fair enough. Just a belief that 'devastated' isn't the correct terminology because that is more appropriate when we loose a loved one.

They are not "Sorry" that he's leaving though, that would be more appropriate were Stuart to suffer a misfortune, or if they've made a mistake themselves.

They are devasted as they hold a lot of admiration for him on a personal level and what he does to connect them to all assets of the club, it's staff and fans and that's the loss they're facing.  I think that's quite evident in the statement.

And unlike a few are trying to suggest, It doesn't mean that we can't find a replacement, it doesn't mean that we're going to fall apart, it doesn't make them weak, it's not weird, and it's not inappropriate. 

People just go way too far over the top with such responses, and I really don't know what the motivates them, I can only presume it's a dislike towards the owners, or Webber himself.  Luckily, I don't hold either of those emotions.

On 16/06/2023 at 09:26, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

It's not at all. 

Devastated - cause (someone) severe and overwhelming shock or grief - Are they really devastated? 

In any case, be devastated in private. Releasing statements and comments like that into the public in this situation when you are the owners of big business and organisations, makes you weak and submissive, and arguably suggests it's Webber who's bigger and outgrown Norwich. Of course, that's just my opinion. 

I just don't like it from the owners of our Football Club. It's a position that requires an element of ruthlessness, which is not in their DNA. 

But knowing Canary fans as I do, I doubt they would like an owner who was a really nasty piece of work, even if that nastiness lifted every domestic and European trophy.

On 17/06/2023 at 01:12, chicken said:

Nope. It's not "terrible PR" - however, you want it to be, so carry on I guess. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The vendetta some people have is incredibly unreal and goes well beyond stretching things to try and find a stick to beat people with.

I mean, how dare they be "emotionally attached" or, you know, care. God forbid. 

Absolutely zero vendetta, I'm saying it how it is. 

Explain to me, why was the statement necessary after the official club statement? The answer is it wasn't. 

• Like 4

Our majority shareholding duo should have said that they were 'saddened'....As I think that sounds much better than 'devastated'....

Whereas I'm devastated that Stu didn't actually do one in March....I'm inconsolable and the pain's excruciating.... 

21 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Absolutely zero vendetta, I'm saying it how it is. 

Explain to me, why was the statement necessary after the official club statement? The answer is it wasn't. 

Lie again. You do.

And 'necessary' is a different argument, so a shift in the goalposts.

43 minutes ago, chicken said:

Lie again. You do.

And 'necessary' is a different argument, so a shift in the goalposts.

Lol. Can you reach any higher levels of self righteous? I doubt it. 

I have no vendetta against the owners, Chicken, your wrong. And that's fine 😉. Do I think they are still fit for purpose? No, I don't. there's a difference between the two. Which of course you know, but that doesn't fit your agenda. 

Moving the goal posts? wrong again. Read my first post "There's no need to say anything right now." Clearly I'm questioning the need or necessity to release a statement. 

I await your reply with a more informed view of myself with anticipation.

On 17/06/2023 at 01:21, chicken said:

Oh do go away and be quiet you tool.

You keep telling us how well you can read the club balance sheets as published, all this does is underline you bloomin well can't. Our model couldn't rely purely upon fan money... very few clubs in the premier league or championship actually could. In fact, a good deal of those clubs find most of their income from elsewhere - in the TV money.

Equally, once you have bought something, it's not your money anymore. You buy a season ticket to have the privilege of cheaper guaranteed match tickets essentially. At that point, the money is no longer yours.

The problem I have with "that" is that it is just another one of your attempts to desperately claw at the idea that the club isn't well run by trying to point out the money is robbed from the pockets of the fans. It's pathetic, your posts continue to be absolutely one dimensional and daft.

You are, what my old headmaster would call, a BS-er. You try to baffle brains with BS. Just like Bo-Jo and Trump. When that doesn't work you start throwing the proverbial about desperately hoping something sticks and you can get going with the BS again. Vast majority of this forum have you sussed out and have done for a very long time.

The only pockets you are interested is yours and how you line them. Greed. Plain and simple. 

You and your kind are very much part of the problem at the club and things won't change as long as the stands are full of 'sensitive souls' with mother fixations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread is mental. If the owners are devastated they have a perfect right to say so. Just because a few precious souls don't like it doesn't mean the owners shouldn't say it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

This thread is mental. If the owners are devastated they have a perfect right to say so. Just because a few precious souls don't like it doesn't mean the owners shouldn't say it. 

You are certainly right with the first four words given that my ability to read a Balance Sheet is apparently aligned with Boris Johnson's leadership skills or lack of.

1 minute ago, essex canary said:

You are certainly right with the first four words given that my ability to read a Balance Sheet is apparently aligned with Boris Johnson's leadership skills or lack of.

Well if you're devastated by the balance sheet feel free to say so. Don't water it down to placate the precious souls who think you should just be a little disappointed...

On 19/06/2023 at 09:20, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Because it's a personal statement that Delia and MWJ wanted to put out through admiration and respect for the guy.

Are personal goodbyes un-necessary in the workplace as a company card got passed around earlier in the day?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Because it's a personal statement that Delia and MWJ wanted to put out through admiration and respect for the guy.

Are personal goodbyes un-necessary in the workplace as a company card got passed around earlier in the day?

Yep, I think Delia and MWJ are fully aware a large portion of fans, certainly online, don't like Webber. So they wanted to put their personal gratitude out into the public domain.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Well if you're devastated by the balance sheet feel free to say so. Don't water it down to placate the precious souls who think you should just be a little disappointed...

I could say I was devastated by the Balance Sheet perhaps in a similar way to being devastated by the destruction of the rainforest. Ultimately the latter is much more important. On a personal level  and in the same spirit the passing away of a loved one is far more important than losing a Director of Football to another Club. 

Language is always living and different nuances can merge over time. Just a belief though that 'devastation' was an excessive word to use in the circumstances referred to.

• Haha 1

Just now, essex canary said:

I could say I was devastated by the Balance Sheet perhaps in a similar way to being devastated by the destruction of the rainforest. Ultimately the latter is much more important. On a personal level  and in the same spirit the passing away of a loved one is far more important than losing a Director of Football to another Club. 

Language is always living and different nuances can merge over time. Just a belief though that 'devastation' was an excessive word to use in the circumstances referred to.

100%. And that would be the case in a 'normal' departure of an employee, let alone a departure of someone as divisive as Webber! 

10 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Not if that's how they felt.

Are you the language police or the feelings police?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Not if that's how they felt.

Are you the language police or the feelings police?

Best to express thoughts in commonly understood language and avoid excess melodrama.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Best to express thoughts in commonly understood language and avoid excess melodrama.

Says the practitioner  of obfuscation , exaggeration and insinuation.

17 minutes ago, essex canary said:

To be fair, You suggested they should've used the word 'Sorry' in regards to Webber leaving, which is quite inapt based on the tone of the statement.

55 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Thought police then...

15 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Lol. Can you reach any higher levels of self righteous? I doubt it. 

LOL back at you, and I don't need to, you demonstrate the highest levels of self righteousness that there is pretty much on this forum, and fairly regularly.

You clearly DO have a vendetta because as Purple quite rightly pointed out very early on, your 'take' is clearly so desperately grabbing at straws. You really want to die on the hill of taking righteous indignation on a personal statement made by owners that isn't at all controversial.

As if to underline this, one other person is trying to define the meaning of the term "devastated" so that they can give it a generic scaling...

At this point the only word relevant is "pathetic".

I even find myself agreeing with people who are basically saying "who cares, I am more interested in what has to be said about the current state of play with Attanasio" and it isn't because I own 1000 shares and want him to pay £100+ for each... 

I have no vendetta against the owners, Chicken, your wrong. And that's fine 😉. Do I think they are still fit for purpose? No, I don't. there's a difference between the two. Which of course you know, but that doesn't fit your agenda. 

There isn't in your case. You aren't here stating you wish they'd just leave, you are here over-analysing a statement by way of trying to find some form of criticism for them. Again, we get to this 50-shades of sh!t sort of argument. Because I am suggesting you are being rather desperate and have a vendetta, which you attempt to deny and only confirm further, it is impossible for you to conceive that on any level I agree with some aspects - hence why another poster seems to think I'm "part of the problem".

Interesting when I have been interviewed by journalists on Gentleman's Walk and had it broadcast as part of a report where-in I stated I felt it was time for Delia and Michael to step aside. The difference is I don't hate or dislike them, nor see a need to jump on every little thing, like this statement, to stick the knife in. It's plain stupid and pointless. There is literally nothing to gain here for that approach.

Moving the goal posts? wrong again. Read my first post "There's no need to say anything right now." Clearly I'm questioning the need or necessity to release a statement. 

I await your reply with a more informed view of myself with anticipation.

Not wrong. You criticised their statement. The "No need to say anything right now" is an added cowards escape route but is also an entirely different argument. Either you think there was no need to make a statement OR you think that there is but it was badly done. You can't really argue that it was crap if you didn't think it was needed at all, as if it wasn't needed at all, it wouldn't have mattered if it was good - it just wasn't needed.

I don't need to reply with a more informed view of you, you have already demonstrated that you apply insults without considering if you are more righteous - which you clearly are for picking such a tiny mole-hill to make into a mountain and die upon... Yet weirdly, other folks that dare question it are wrong and get told they are "self righteous". Yet you are the PR expert.

10 hours ago, essex canary said:

You really are a dafty aren't you?

You've joined 3C's in the race to be the first princess to find the pea under a million mattresses.

"I'm devastated we lost the game."
"I'm devastated I got through to the final and lost."
"I'm devastated I clipped a hurdle and it cost me gold."
"I'm devastated my father passed away."
"I'm devastated I lost my house in a fire started by lightening."
"I'm devastated that my local pub is shutting."
"I'm devastated Mike in accounts is leaving after such good work and 6 years service."

All of these are fair use of the term "devastated". None of them are wrong. None of them have to conform to whatever you idea of the term "should be". There is no "wrong" use of the term.

Again, what's the answer? That they have to guess who might be offended by using the word "devastated" because it might trigger what appears to be four people into having a paddy on a forum? 

Get a bloomin grip man. It's not even the balance sheet that "devastates" you. It's the lack of being offered £100+ a share for your shares and not having a free season ticket. Be honest - you have stated these both elsewhere. 

• Like 1

It's amazing how those who have no sensitivity towards the word 'devastated' have such sensitivity to the word 'melodramatic.'

7 hours ago, chicken said:

Get a bloomin grip man. It's not even the balance sheet that "devastates" you. It's the lack of being offered £100+ a share for your shares and not having a free season ticket. Be honest - you have stated these both elsewhere. 

I could well be paying for my season ticket by now if the Club had got its act together to enable me to exit at tte same time as Foulger. As it is the discrepancy of treatment between owners of same persists despite the Club's avowed Equalities and Inclusion Policies.

End of year report for Maths and English equally as lousy as for PE.

I am devastated by their ineptitude.

Edited by essex canary

On 14/06/2023 at 09:24, essex canary said:

I am usually very supportive of your opinion Jim. Note though that if he does 9 months gardening leave the Club will still have to pay his Salary from which the funding will come out of the pockets of Ordinary supporters. 

Trust me, if we gave him 9 months' of gardening leave, he would spent that 9 months working in the interests of Leeds United, at our expense. It would be a Godsend to him. He could still operate, develop his connections, make his enquiries, travel the world, arrange deals and contracts.

It would be gardening leave, not solitary confinement without a mobile phone!!! Gardening leave is not a good idea. 

Edited by Pugin
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, essex canary said:

It's amazing how those who have no sensitivity towards the word 'devastated' have such sensitivity to the word 'melodramatic.'

You and ccc are the epitamy of melodramatic. You've literally lost you cahoonas over the use of one word. Suddenly people are all sorts of silly names because two people used 'devastated' a word you are trying to take ownership of so you can define it's use.

32 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I am devastated by their ineptitude.

Case in point.