Sign in to follow this  
Pyro Pete

Russell Martin agrees to join Southampton

Not sure if we're supposed to be jealous or still hate Russ. It's a quandary...

Edited by nutty nigel
🤔

I think it is a good opportunity, strong young squad, with some sellable assets and a club with good systems and structures already in place.

36 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Swansea stuck by him through a sticky spell this season, before he ended the season well. And then he leaves them.

Martin will be the third head coach to leave them since they got relegated, both Potter and Cooper before did as well. Cooper left after taking them to the playoff final only to not be backed at all in the summer, sounds like Martin is in a similar position where the board won't spend any money. There comes a time when all you're facing is diminishing returns.

Is it tinpot and little-ol-Southampton if they do appoint him then?

I know the rhetoric changed but I remember him being listed as a potential Smith successor way before Wagner was appointed....

Southampton looking to get back to the technical, passing game they were known for in the past. Good appointment and I assume they'll be willing to give him a couple of seasons to get it right.

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Southampton looking to get back to the technical, passing game they were known for in the past. Good appointment and I assume they'll be willing to give him a couple of seasons to get it right.

Give Martin the money and I’d love to see what he’s capable of - as far as I’m aware Swansea were skint so Martin had to make do with what he had available. I think they’re onto a bit of a winner with him. He’s been slowly building up his coaching repertoire since he left us, doing it the “right way”. Fair play to him. I think he might well have bypassed us now. 

• Like 1

I always thought of Southampton as a pressing side generally 🤔 

Interesting appointment but can't help feeling it's not the right fit. Martin is clearly a manager that needs time to build in the culture at club; Southampton will have high expectations so not a lot of time for a bedding-in period.

Next season's plot thickens.

• Like 1

This will be his first proper test as a manager in my book - the other sides he was at had expectations set very low (and rightly so in fairness).  This time he will be expected to be at the top of the league, challenging for promotion.  It will be interesting to see how he goes...