Pyro Pete

"Women’s football, I do not watch it. It’s of zero interest"

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

He is, just a really odd topic to get involved in the discussion, and odd to not just spin an encouraging tag line - if I was the owner I would wonder why he choose to answer that way.

Would you prefer that he lied?

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Nutty, we're not talking about a local social club here but a public limited company dependent on generating new income streams and building an audience for the future. As a senior employee of such a company these words, a mix of facts with his own opinion, can be said down the pub amongst his mates, across a Board table "in camera", but never in the public domain. You may say I'm being melodramatic, but effectively pissing off half the potential supporters is very poor.

It's incredible that people seem to forget what Webber's job is and the capacity in which he's speaking. He's a senior executive and thus his words carry more weight than some random bloke down the pub. Of course he's entitled to his opinion but if you're a senior executive at a football club that has largely tried to promote an image of being diverse, inclusive and family friendly the very basic thing to do is to keep that opinion private.

The most frustrating thing though is how avoidable this is all is. The question was 'how do we build on the success of that first game at carrow Road?' He can easily say 'it was great, we were delighted by the turnout, hopefully we can do it again soon.' Instead he's so pig headed he creates more bad pr for the club. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

I'm beginning to understand why Stu didn't get that Chelsea gig....He could always try for a position in the Diplomatic Corps....

We don't want a diplomat though, we want a SD. 

38 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

He should have lied Hoggy.

Or get some corporate governance suits to lie for him.

Scripted interviews are what we want now.

Cometh the hour cometh the piper.

Get back from North Korea pronto Alice..

Your club's supporters need you...

I don't think anyone on this thread is taking issue with him disliking women's football per say or saying he should have lied - some think he could have worded what he said better but that's about it.

I can see how if you are involved with the Norwich women's team some of it *might* upset you, simply because Webber is an important individual in our club. That's just basic empathy though.

Like Webber, I'm not a great fan of women's football but I do think the standard is improving. It would be nice to see the Norwich women's team do well and get more games at Carrow Road.

OTBC

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

So a person in a position of authority shouldn't be diplomatic?....

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Says Webber, to The Athletic, reportedly.

Not gone down well with fans of our women's team.

Nothing wrong with that. I have zero interest in it too and don’t mind admitting it.

Nothing wrong with what he said. I don’t like or watch Women’s football either. If my daughter was to start playing i would possibly have more interest but that is not the case. Just find it dull, slow and no where near as exciting as the Men’s game (though the less said about some of our games this season the better). 

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Personal choice, funny enough I find women’s tennis far more entertaining than men’s as the tennis is closer and longer rallies at times.

It’s the grunting isn’t it ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm certainly realising that our fans only want honesty if it's going to be an honest answer that matches their own held belief.

And if that fails, we claim he's not being honest. Apart from when it's something honest and we can take offence to, then its definitely honest.

Christ.

It's not about honesty it's about how he represents the club. He wasn't asked about the quality of the football. He wasn't asked about whether he was interested in it personally. He was asked 'how do we build on the success of the first game.' His points about the quality and his interest are just irrelevant. I swear sometimes he could come out and say 'norwich fans are all *** who've never felt the touch of a woman, if I had my way I'd have them all shot' and you'd be here saying 'he's just being honest.' 

You're a business owner as far as I'm aware. If one of your senior employees came out and was 'honest' about something that pissed off a percentage of your customer base you wouldn't be praising them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Being diplomatic is part of the job.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I don't think anyone on this thread is taking issue with him disliking women's football per say or saying he should have lied - some think he could have worded what he said better but that's about it.

I can see how if you are involved with the Norwich women's team some of it *might* upset you, simply because Webber is an important individual in our club. That's just basic empathy though.

Like Webber, I'm not a great fan of women's football but I do think the standard is improving. It would be nice to see the Norwich women's team do well and get more games at Carrow Road.

OTBC

Exactly buddy.

Tigger didn't like scripted in house videos for breakfast.

Now he doesn't like honest out of house videos for breakfast.

It's almost as if Tigger doesn't like anything for breakfast.

I guess he needs to wake up and smell the coffee. As long as it's a brand he likes. We haven't found one yet...

59 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

No.

The Athletic promoted the article in their social media channels.

It's common for news outlets to expand on content.

No - Bailey promoted it himself on Twitter yesterday!

Edit - that’s what I’ve been talking about. I don’t get the athletic so have no idea about them, but he 100% tweeted that his interview was coming out today and this is it.  I do find it very sneaky to release snippets out of context, it’s something I’ve always hated.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just now, king canary said:

Being diplomatic is part of the job.

I don't think anything he says right now would make much difference, those that are gunning for him will love it, fuel to the fire. Personally  I dont think we should hear much from the SD , do other Clubs? I can't stand platitudes, be up front and honest , if noses get put out of joint , well that's ok by me. If hed said        " tbh I prefer womens footy as its not a fooked up money game like the men's...though  it'll be heading that way of course "  that would be fine with  me too.    What if he'd  bigged it up and then the truth came out?  Diplomacy isnt all its cracked up to be. 

49 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

He should have lied Hoggy.

Or get some corporate governance suits to lie for him.

Scripted interviews are what we want now.

Cometh the hour cometh the piper.

Get back from North Korea pronto Alice..

Your club's supporters need you...

Honestly Nutty, I’m finding those of you who feel the need to defend every single criticism like everything is perfect far more tedious than those who hate Webber and don’t care what he says.

At least I understand those peoples motivations. I honestly can’t understand how people who think generally very positively about the club (a position that’s totally fair) think that means that everything he says is perfect.

He’s in the highest sporting position in the club, he’s representing the club, what he says matters. No it’s not the be all and end all, but it’s not irrelevant either.

He could have said the quoted and then followed up with something along the lines of but what he thinks doesn’t matter though and given some positive perspective on the future of the women’s game and Norwich city women. He chose not to. Still wouldn’t have been great PR but in context it would have meant a much more positive message.

Thats the thing though, being honest and forthright aren’t mutually exclusive with thinking bigger picture. Neither does promoting positive messaging you might not fully believe in or care about personally mean lying, it’s part of being a leader.

• Like 1

Just now, Monty13 said:

Honestly Nutty, I’m finding those of you who feel the need to defend every single criticism like everything is perfect far more tedious than those who hate Webber and don’t care what he says.

At least I understand those peoples motivations. I honestly can’t understand how people who think generally very positively about the club (a position that’s totally fair) think that means that everything he says is perfect.

He’s in the highest sporting position in the club, he’s representing the club, what he says matters. No it’s not the be all and end all, but it’s not irrelevant either.

He could have said the quoted and then followed up with something along the lines of but what he thinks doesn’t matter though and given some positive perspective on the future of the women’s game and Norwich city women. He chose not to. Still wouldn’t have been great PR but in context it would have meant a much more positive message.

Thats the thing though, being honest and forthright aren’t mutually exclusive with thinking bigger picture. Neither does promoting positive messaging you might not fully believe in or care about personally mean lying, it’s part of being a leader.

I just think he’s entitled to his opinion - if you read what he’s said, rather than the snippet, it doesn’t sound/feel overly unreasonable. Unless you want him to lie. 

The thing is, there are a fair few things that do merit serious questioning re. Webber's performance, particularly in the last 24 months. Recent transfer recruitment, staffing and why certain staff have gone, the culture within the non-football staff spring instantly to mind.

Stuff like this really is just complaining for the sake of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

All we want is honesty  from those in charge.

Seems not. 

Yup, then we wonder why so many executives fall into ultra-anodyne corporate speak. I'd rather roger myself up the p-o-o-p chute with a brolly and open it rather than listen to such corporate platitudes.

Edited by TheGunnShow
Oh, yeah, forgot about how four king a-n-a-l (!) the censor is.

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

No - Bailey promoted it himself on Twitter yesterday!

The article we are specifically discussing, is not attributed to Michael Bailey.

He also did not promote this specific article on Twitter.

If you can provide evidence to the contrary, I will happily concede the point.

2 minutes ago, tsj1999 said:

Webber is a pathetic old man

And you’ve started another thread about it, is it raining in Suffolk?

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

And you’ve started another thread about it, is it raining in Suffolk?

and youve quoted me. do i need to pay rent as im living in your head 

11 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

The article we are specifically discussing, is not attributed to Michael Bailey.

He also did not promote this specific article on Twitter.

If you can provide evidence to the contrary, I will happily concede the point.

There isn’t any point to concede , is there? Bailey 100% wrote on Twitter yesterday, along the lines of ‘there’s still one interview to come out’.  It isn’t unfair to assume he interviewed for the Athletic as it’s who he works for, but I suppose it might not have been.  But I don’t think it washes that if it was his interview, they he’s not the source of the quotes. Just because it says it’s written by staffers or whatever doesn’t distance him from it.

Edited by Branston Pickle

I don't particularly care about his opinion on women's football.

I do care that he appears to be thick as pig mince.

• Haha 1