Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Subscriber only articles

There are, but those articles are:

• re-writes and different interpretations from the same source interview; 
  • a regurgitation of something widely circling on Social Media;
  • a regurgitation of official club PR;
  • documentation of their podcasts.

Davitt has written at least three different views of Wagner's Blackpool post-match interview, Southwell and Seaman do the regurgitation of social media and club PR, only Southwell seems to do any new analysis, which is rare. Then there is Ben Lee's excellent tactical analysis.

Within their articles there are hints that they have heard other bits and pieces behind the scenes at the club, but unless they can get a formal response one way or the other from senior officials at the club, they are unable to publish them without further deepening the divide between them and the club. They desperately need that direct line with the club.

EDIT: Oh and personal views from a host of ex-players, other media presenters and fans; approximately 10 a week!

Edited by shefcanary

Similarly, Michael Bailey's NCFC output for The Athletic seems quite sparse these days

It is inevitable I guess but it is a bit sad that most Norwich content is behind a paywall

I would recommend the alongcomenorwich site as one which has quality free articles.

Are there anymore?

You make your own bed. When they're turning out phrases like 'Norwich fans are right to feel entitled to success at Championship level' I can see why the club aren't so bothered to pick up the phone to them.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

You make your own bed. When they're turning out phrases like 'Norwich fans are right to feel entitled to success at Championship level' I can see why the club aren't so bothered to pick up the phone to them.

It's not just football where the EDP has gone downhill. It used to be a good quality local news source regardless of your politics. Not any more I'm afraid. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

When they're turning out phrases like 'Norwich fans are right to feel entitled to success at Championship level' I can see why the club aren't so bothered to pick up the phone to them.

And running articles saying Webber has agreed with owners to only give 90% effort to the club.

They've been childishly bitter making such snidey remarks in recent times.

If you're going to call the club out then have the balls to back it up and walk that line.  They can publish whatever articles they want, if they aren't getting the blessing from the club then stop waiting for it.

Trouble is, they want to go back to the cozy up, legs under table relationship as it's what they're accustomed too.  And It must be hard to go from being hand fed exclusives from the club to finding yourself competing in a space where two guys and a webcam can out-do you.  Particularly for longer serving staff like Paddy.

It's also made worse that people look for headlines now, when it comes to news. 

The younger generation doesn't care for paragraphs of waffle and regurgitated facts.  They want articles that make them feel smart, delivered in quick, easy to digest infographics and breakdowns that take the complicated and make it simple.

The Pinkun/EDP, however, take the simple and try to make it complicated.... Drown it in adverts and then ask you to pay for it.

Edited by Google Bot

16 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's not just football where the EDP has gone downhill. It used to be a good quality local news source regardless of your politics. Not any more I'm afraid

Two thoughts the main journalists involved are quite young so probably don’t remember the club pre Lambert I think this gives you rightly or wrongly a slightly different perspective on the club.

Secondly broadly local media is dying and they are desperate for all the clicks etc… they receive therefore creating or taking an inflammatory or clickbait position will supposedly help them in that regard. This will ultimately drive there perception of Norwich City the club in my eyes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

And running articles saying Webber has agreed with owners to only give 90% effort to the club.

They've been childishly bitter making such snidey remarks in recent times.

If you're going to call the club out then have the balls to back it up and walk that line.  They can publish whatever articles they want, if they aren't getting the blessing from the club then stop waiting for it.

Trouble is, they want to go back to the cozy up, legs under table relationship as it's what they're accustomed too.  And It must be hard to go from being hand fed exclusives from the club to finding yourself competing in a space where two guys and a webcam can out-do you.  Particularly for longer serving staff like Paddy.

It's also made worse that people look for headlines now, when it comes to news. 

The younger generation doesn't care for paragraphs of waffle and regurgitated facts.  They want articles that make them feel smart, delivered in quick, easy to digest infographics and breakdowns that take the complicated and make it simple.

The Pinkun/EDP, however, take the simple and try to make it complicated.... Drown it in adverts and then ask you to pay for it.

Cheers for that Botto, i was  undecided as to whether to cough up or not. I will now upgrade my Salmon and Sea Trout licence from County to National instead. 

I'm slowly but surely falling out of love with Proffessional footy, inter / A.C.  last night was a case in point. Cheating and time wasting...should have watched Luton instead. 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

There are, but those articles are:

• re-writes and different interpretations from the same source interview; 
  • a regurgitation of something widely circling on Social Media;
  • a regurgitation of official club PR;
  • documentation of their podcasts.

Davitt has written at least three different views of Wagner's Blackpool post-match interview, Southwell and Seaman do the regurgitation of social media and club PR, only Southwell seems to do any new analysis, which is rare. Then there is Ben Lee's excellent tactical analysis.

Within their articles there are hints that they have heard other bits and pieces behind the scenes at the club, but unless they can get a formal response one way or the other from senior officials at the club, they are unable to publish them without further deepening the divide between them and the club. They desperately need that direct line with the club.

EDIT: Oh and personal views from a host of ex-players, other media presenters and fans; approximately 10 a week!

Ben Lee's tactical analysis is the best thing on there, but is available for free on Twitter anyway. There are two questions here 1) Why have a paywall; 2) What exactly are you paying for (quality wise). As is seen by Archant's insolvency local media/journalism is in terminal decline, defeated by free social media. Increasingly, social media are looking for new income streams & Newsquest are following the same line. If fewer people buy newsprint someone needs to pay for local journalism. The PinkUn went virtual only long ago, I expect the EEN is close to going the same way and unless someone pays this site could go down with the EDP. The problem is there is not enough content in the close season (if not fed by the club, none at all) to fill the channels and quite frankly what there is, is of very poor quality.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Cheers for that Botto, i was  undecided as to whether to cough up or not. I will now upgrade my Salmon and Sea Trout licence from County to National instead. 

I'm slowly but surely falling out of love with Proffessional footy, inter / A.C.  last night was a case in point. Cheating and time wasting...should have watched Luton instead. 

In all honesty,  you're likely to get more insight from 2 or 3 people on this forum than you are from the local press. As for football generally, I must admit I'm starting to despair. I've renewed for next season but I've enjoyed watching my local team far more over the last couple of years. I think footballers now measure success in terms of their contracts. The fact that players are quite happy to sign for clubs like Chelsea knowing they won't get a game is troubling. 

We are all much better off on this message board for free and paying our money to the non-communicative Football Club.

Edited by essex canary

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Is it only me but does there seem to be a lot more on the EDP Sports Page now it’s paid access only

Java script off.. read.. or have a browser installed.just set with java off. 

Not your fault you protect your security and data by not using java. Just so happens you can read more.... 

7 minutes ago, essex canary said:

We are all much better off on this message board for free and paying our money to the non-communicative Football Club.

I pity any American that reads this board.

11 minutes ago, essex canary said:

I can think of one way to improve this board........😉 

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Just the Americans? 

1 minute ago, Greavsy said:

Just the Americans? 

Well I'm struggling and consider myself to be pretty proficient with sarcasm... But that lot across the water...

11 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

MA is a successful business man and will have done his research thoroughly. Or paid someone to do it for him. I'd be amazed if that didn't include looking at social media and fan forums. Anyone reading this forum a year ago would have read the majority of posters keen to see the back of the owners. 

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

MA is a successful business man and will have done his research thoroughly

I Was referring to Essex's use of sarcasm in that post and how it doesn't translate well, it was honestly nothing to do with the Attanasio's. :classic_smile:

No footy progs in the footure at Carra so will get my match-day info teams and stuff off Radio Snorefolk and this most excellento forum...

3 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

No footy progs in the footure at Carra so will get my match-day info teams and stuff off Radio Snorefolk and this most excellento forum...

The program is printed days in advance so hasn't had the team in it for years,  just the squads. 

Why should we have to pay extra to read about our Club ??? It is beyond belief !!

57 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

The program is printed days in advance so hasn't had the team in it for years,  just the squads. 

I know....I was being facetious it's out of date before the game....I usually give my 'complimentary' prog away to a young 'un as I make my way to the pub....

Otherwise, it just becomes loft insulation....Just a team sheet would suffice, they hand a few out on the day if you can grab one...

I've got a few precious fanzines from the late 80's an' early 90's like 'Ferry Across the Wensum' and 'Liverpool are on the telly again'....and stuff.... 

1 hour ago, Mike w said:

Why should we have to pay extra to read about our Club ??? It is beyond belief !!

Shareholders in the club shouldn't have to pay, or their offspring surely?

1 hour ago, Mello Yello said:

I know....I was being facetious it's out of date before the game....I usually give my 'complimentary' prog away to a young 'un as I make my way to the pub....

Otherwise, it just becomes loft insulation....Just a team sheet would suffice, they hand a few out on the day if you can grab one...

I've got a few precious fanzines from the late 80's an' early 90's like 'Ferry Across the Wensum' and 'Liverpool are on the telly again'....and stuff.... 

Less Value for Money in lounge areas next season. How will you protect your knees from the seat in front if you haven’t got a 'complimentary' Programme?

33 minutes ago, essex canary said:

Less Value for Money in lounge areas next season. How will you protect your knees from the seat in front if you haven’t got a 'complimentary' Programme?

What,? Even the seats don't like you  Ethics?  Ive heard of rival fans getting a bit bolshy, even in fighting between supporters but needing protection from a seat?  Do you pi55 everything as well as everybody  off then?

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

What,? Even the seats don't like you  Ethics?

Apparently the club didn't know how the glass and shattered razor blades made their way onto the back of the seat in front.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It's not just football where the EDP has gone downhill. It used to be a good quality local news source regardless of your politics. Not any more I'm afraid. 

The seven best village signs

Could you give this mutt a 'forever' home ?

One car crash on A47

Watch this new cafe pop up, or a few months later pop down

Burger vans are now streetfood

North Norfolk tide goes out

Pile up on A47

Shops are now stores

Boutique pub is offering exciting menu featuring locally sourced giraffe

Young Fenella Dootifulea-Smug has converted a horse box into a glamping destination

Delays expected on A47

Readers vote for their top ten hills in Norfolk

A friend uses Firefox browser with the Paywall buster add on, which he tells me allows him to read all the articles

Edited by PockthorpePete
  • Haha 1