Yobocop

Jonson Clarke-Harris

18 minutes ago, chicken said:

Right so now notch it up to the entire point I made. Could we afford to take a, lets say £3-5m gamble on Clarke-Harris?

He is not Pukki or Holt in that theirs fees were not bankbustinf... Pukki was free.

Would we be looking at gambling that heavy on a striker with Barnes joining Sargent and Idah whilst also being told the club will focus on our younger players?

I'm not saying I don't like the idea - but that can we afford to gamble with the fee Posh are likely to seek for him? 

Is he really that much of a gamble? He bagged 12 goals in the champs last year in a relegated Peterborough.. I'd say he's less of a gamble than hoping Idah finally puts his boots on the right feet. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Is he really that much of a gamble? He bagged 12 goals in the champs last year in a relegated Peterborough.. I'd say he's less of a gamble than hoping Idah finally puts his boots on the right feet. 

I, like many, want Idah to come good, but I fear it may never. He's scored 3 in 27 appears this season, and to be fair he's got more game time than any other season.

I dearly want the club to put him out to either a championship club or league 1, and see just how well he performs with a view of giving him a starting berth.

He'll be behind Sargent, so will only get limited game time here next season, and I just can't bare a 5th season in a row of "this has to be the season Idah comes good" because he still hasn't!

To me Clarke-Harris is similar to Holt, in that he's scored in this division, but those who generally do well at lower league, and he has, continue up a level. We need player to put pressure on Sarg (& even Barnes) & he would. I just can't see Idah doing that, so would really benefit from a whole season playing elsewhere to really help develop him

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I, like many, want Idah to come good, but I fear it may never. He's scored 3 in 27 appears this season, and to be fair he's got more game time than any other season.

I dearly want the club to put him out to either a championship club or league 1, and see just how well he performs with a view of giving him a starting berth.

He'll be behind Sargent, so will only get limited game time here next season, and I just can't bare a 5th season in a row of "this has to be the season Idah comes good" because he still hasn't!

To me Clarke-Harris is similar to Holt, in that he's scored in this division, but those who generally do well at lower league, and he has, continue up a level. We need player to put pressure on Sarg (& even Barnes) & he would. I just can't see Idah doing that, so would really benefit from a whole season playing elsewhere to really help develop him

As noted by myself and others, Clarke-Harris is a year older than Holt was and will no doubt cost several millions. We really need to stop likening them.

Holt had a worse record in the Champs too, was often played out of position and we signed him from a league two club to help us get out of league one. 

A different ball game to bringing in a player to score us the goals for a top six finish.

To address another point. Sargent just finished the season on 13 goals having made something like half his games as a striker (9 goals in 19 appearances as a striker according to transfermarkt). He cost us, rightly or wrongly, £8m.

Would we pay, for arguments sake, £4m for a back up? Would Clarke-Harris want to play 2nd choice? Would Sargent?

Would we be better off spending £4m on another position? A CB? We partly don't know that, just as we don't know how much Posh will want.

1 hour ago, Samwam27 said:

I think Idah desperately needs a loan. He needs starts as a CF and goals, he’s unlikely to get that with us. It certainly hasn’t happened much so far and if we do sign Barnes he has to be third choice at that point.

I’ll just feel sorry for him if he gets another season of cameos on the wing. It’s clear to me he has the attributes, he’s just not developing as he’s not getting the game time.

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Right so now notch it up to the entire point I made. Could we afford to take a, lets say £3-5m gamble on Clarke-Harris?

He is not Pukki or Holt in that theirs fees were not bankbustinf... Pukki was free.

Would we be looking at gambling that heavy on a striker with Barnes joining Sargent and Idah whilst also being told the club will focus on our younger players?

I'm not saying I don't like the idea - but that can we afford to gamble with the fee Posh are likely to seek for him? 

I see Barnes as more of a 10. I imagine we’ll see Sargent off of him. And Idah as back-up/competition. But personally I don’t think either Sargeant or Idah are a 20 goal no9 at this level. Yet. That’s why I’d pay 3-5m for someone else more likely to warrant being our no9. 

• Like 1

I think we should sign another striker 

Wagner will want Barnes in the middle  LM Sarge RM idah need a striker for the bench to swap for a midfielder later in match

Just now, norfolkngood said:

I think we should sign another striker 

Wagner will want Barnes in the middle  LM Sarge RM idah need a striker for the bench to swap for a midfielder later in match

Hahahahhahahahahahaahahahaha 

News 

• Haha 2

If he was like 1-2m then sure, I'd have him as competition but he's not worth anywhere near what Peterborough would demand for him, not even close. If they go up they'll likely want 8m+. He isn't the next Toney or Holt as people are thinking. I think he's a decent Championship level striker, he scored 12 for Peterborough last time at this level which is decent for a relegated club but they still tried to play attacking football that year so it's not like he was always starved of service. I'm not knocking the suggestion because I would have him here for a reasonable price it's just that Peterborough will want far more than he's worth and I think if our recruitment team can't find similar for less money or better for similar money then that would raise some serious questions. 

5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

If he was like 1-2m then sure, I'd have him as competition but he's not worth anywhere near what Peterborough would demand for him, not even close. If they go up they'll likely want 8m+. He isn't the next Toney or Holt as people are thinking. I think he's a decent Championship level striker, he scored 12 for Peterborough last time at this level which is decent for a relegated club but they still tried to play attacking football that year so it's not like he was always starved of service. I'm not knocking the suggestion because I would have him here for a reasonable price it's just that Peterborough will want far more than he's worth and I think if our recruitment team can't find similar for less money or better for similar money then that would raise some serious questions. 

All I can say re the last point is we paid 8m for Sargeant. Who has the touch of a heavyweight boxer. I’m not saying we should pay Posh 8m. But I am saying our recruitment team can find worse. 

22 hours ago, chicken said:

Ok, first off... Clarke-Harris has been at Posh twice. Once deemed not good enough and sold to Oldham. He's then played for five clubs between 2014 and 2020 before rejoining Posh.

The last being Bristol Rovers where he hit something like 24 goals in 42 games.

Posh do have a good record with young strikers, this is not the player where that argument particularly comes true... otherwise Dion Dublin...

He is in form, and a decent age. In that peak zone. He'll be 29 in July. Still a good 2-3 seasons in him.

He is about a year older than the age of Pukki and Holt when they were signed. Was Hucks not around that age?

Also worth noting that for every one of those two we have had Cureton  (signed on the back of a red hot season too), Thorne etc.

Not to say he is one of those. Just more of a gamble than some are willing to admit. For the right price, why not? I suspect Posh will demand that Mackail-Smith fee of £3m, perhaps with add ons on promotion a la Toney. I'm not sure I'd gamble more than £1m-£1.5m.

And I'm not convinced we need to look at that area of the pitch. If Idah was to go on loan as part of the deal to bring the fee down, I'd take it. Idah on a permanent would be a tad nuts IMHO.

Shaking my head in absolute disbelief 

28 minutes ago, S_81 said:

All I can say re the last point is we paid 8m for Sargeant. Who has the touch of a heavyweight boxer. I’m not saying we should pay Posh 8m. But I am saying our recruitment team can find worse. 

I'd argue Josh is a bit better from what I've seen. Not in all areas, his touch and composure are definitely worse but I think his age means he maybe has a higher ceiling but there's not a lot in it even if you argue Sargent is worse. I'd call this one finding similar for a similar price. The biggest issue with signing Sargent is that he wasn't what we needed last year. I know what you mean though in that the recruitment team can drop some massive clangers, I guess my point is that if we paid what Posh would want for Clarke-Harris it would probably be another one to add to the list. 

1 minute ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I'd argue Josh is a bit better from what I've seen. Not in all areas, his touch and composure are definitely worse but I think his age means he maybe has a higher ceiling but there's not a lot in it even if you argue Sargent is worse. I'd call this one finding similar for a similar price. The biggest issue with signing Sargent is that he wasn't what we needed last year. I know what you mean though in that the recruitment team can drop some massive clangers, I guess my point is that if we paid what Posh would want for Clarke-Harris it would probably be another one to add to the list. 

I have a bad feeling the reality for next season is Sargeant / Barnes / Idah. 
But we shall see. 

49 minutes ago, S_81 said:

I have a bad feeling the reality for next season is Sargeant / Barnes / Idah. 
But we shall see. 

i have the same feeling we need a real Striker 

Barnes Sarge and Idah are what i call forwards not strikers 

Pukki was a striker natural goal scorer

Sarge did well early in season when played up top is the only one out of these 3 that would get  near 20 goals 

23 hours ago, chicken said:

Idah on a permanent would be a tad nuts IMHO.

I dunno, there's bound to be some idiot willing to give him a chance. Brundall FC resrves perhaps.

3 hours ago, CDMullins said:

Shaking my head in absolute disbelief 

Based on we have three players in Barnes, Sargent and Idah already. If we bring in another, they need to be better than the lot. Replacing Idah with a £5m 29yr old gamble would be nuts. 

I'm shaking my head because we have so many idiotic armchair sporting directors.

Priority has to be defence and defensive midfield.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Based on we have three players in Barnes, Sargent and Idah already. If we bring in another, they need to be better than the lot. Replacing Idah with a £5m 29yr old gamble would be nuts. 

I'm shaking my head because we have so many idiotic armchair sporting directors.

Based on we have three players in Barnes, Sargent and Idah already. If we bring in another, they need to be better than the lot.

Completely agree, the goals from all of them put together don't get us up.

Replacing Idah with a £5m 29yr old gamble would be nuts. 

I didn't suggest we should.

We've lost our 2nd, 4th and 5th top scorer for next season,

We scored what, 5 goals in our crucial last 11 matches? Against the likes of Hudds, Wigan, Blackpool and QPR.

To suggest this isn't an area to focus on, is just bizarre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chicken said:

Shake your head all you like but goals win games and those three won’t score enough of them. We need a better no9. 

59 minutes ago, S_81 said:

Shake your head all you like but goals win games and those three won’t score enough of them. We need a better no9. 

Both you and CDBeetamax seem to have the same-ish idea but overly simplify and as such miss the issues here.

Sargent scored as many as McBurnie, bearing in mind the actual stats are 9 from 19 appearances as a striker for Sargent, the other 4 came from wide appearances. Ndiaye scored 14.

Why those two players? Both are Shef Utd's two top scorers and they went up. Burnley and Millwalls top scorers had 17 goals. 4 more than Sargent, not totally inconceivable here considering his strike rate up front.

Our biggest issue hasn't been scoring chances, it's been creating enough decent ones, followed shortly behind by our soft underbelly.

As things stand we are starting next season with Gibson, Omobamidele, Tomkinson and then U21's as our CB options.

We have no dedicated DM - Sorensen clearly isn't that.

Giannoulis and Aarons enter the last year of their contracts as does McCallum. So clearly, sales may well be had there.

So when I say that isn't a priority, on paper it's not. If we do sign someone then great, but I suspect it'd be someone that offers something a bit different, more pace, movement like Pukki? Idah probably would be loaned out then.

Sort the midfield balance out and, personnel shortages notwithstanding, I think the defence and attack in this squad potentially resolve themselves to some extent. We looked powder-puff in attack as we started veering away from a strike force built around Pukki's attributes and focused more on Sargent's. On top of that, we had the experienced spine of our team out. Omo and Lungi as a centre-half pairing looked fragile as there was no defensive ballast in front of them. Put Byram in next to Omo and Lungi in front, we looked more organised.

We're certainly one commanding centre-half short along with a strong back-up. A right-back would be useful. A purely destructive anchor man would be excellent. With Rowe back and Barnes signed, I expect we'll be playing with wingers next season (and if it's true we're sniffing at that lad from Montpellier then you'd definitely think we'll have wingers and attacking full-backs). That should suit Sargent and Barnes, who are both strong in the air.

The problem I have with this is that IMO we should use full-backs to provide width and gum up the middle of the park more to provide solidity down the middle when we lose the ball. Yet we have Rowe, Tzolis, Hernandez, Placheta, Springett.... a lot of wingers.

Both you and CDBeetamax seem to have the same-ish idea but overly simplify and as such miss the issues here.

Sargent scored as many as McBurnie, bearing in mind the actual stats are 9 from 19 appearances as a striker for Sargent, the other 4 came from wide appearances. Ndiaye scored 14.

Why those two players? Both are Shef Utd's two top scorers and they went up. Burnley and Millwalls top scorers had 17 goals. 4 more than Sargent, not totally inconceivable here considering his strike rate up front.

Our biggest issue hasn't been scoring chances, it's been creating enough decent ones, followed shortly behind by our soft underbelly.

As things stand we are starting next season with Gibson, Omobamidele, Tomkinson and then U21's as our CB options.

We have no dedicated DM - Sorensen clearly isn't that.

Giannoulis and Aarons enter the last year of their contracts as does McCallum. So clearly, sales may well be had there.

So when I say that isn't a priority, on paper it's not. If we do sign someone then great, but I suspect it'd be someone that offers something a bit different, more pace, movement like Pukki? Idah probably would be loaned out then.

A) Why so rude?

B) Your answer is Josh Sargent?

It isn't for good reading is it that we have so many voids. And this isn't due to a desperate firesale after relegation. Christ. Sw really has fallen from grace (or whatever the mountain was called)

Crown Jewell's and over 100m not long ago with a squad assembled for peanuts and at one point, a fin on a free and a bunch of div. 4 German league players. But atleast we had style, a sense of togetherness and were different. Now we are a champ team with not even a style/identity, have no money, expensive flops, better players/assets out of contract soon (pukki, Todd gone, max can leave next year) and the fan base is at an all time low with connection. I wanted DW, but it's not worked (albeit he hasn't got his men in, but no style has been defined and the fans remain divided from the team, and I think I'm fairness DW biggest appeal was.a clear style- not like DFs but a clear style in own right- and his ability and experience of getting fans onboard (or atleast in SW and hudds eyes). That ship is sailing really isn't it?

Now look how many gaps we have and the transfer targets actually as viable options and so far the answers of what we all think (best we can) on options is damning. We have no money and no style. I fear we have had our turn and will languish for a while. Sgt isn't the answer. Barnes, good on a free, but not the answer. CBs have had soft underbelly even in the recent glory of DF. Need more, that was clear even when we went up the first time. Dm... The fact no knees, can't play twice in a week, and can't pass three foot Alex tetty (still loved him ofc) would STILL make the current 11 as our only recognised DM is madness. What a failing by SW and transfer team, surely the managers keep asking for one. What a plum anyone is to not realise that is what we need!

As if Clarke Harris is the answer (and by that I mean he could well be, think there is a case for it, although we I don't know what style-be it DW style or not- would work for him) but the fact he could be a Peterborough striker that we literally cannot afford is mindboggling. Mr Webber... How can you answer the above and still put an honest, professional answer across as to why your wife shouldn't fire you at this club. Thank you for what you have done, but ta ta!

8 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

It isn't for good reading is it that we have so many voids. And this isn't due to a desperate firesale after relegation.

Age is one of the biggest factors, followed by injury balanced with performances.

- Pukki wanted to leave.
- Byram put in some memorable performances over the years he has played for us, but sadly for him, he has spent much of that time injured.
- Dowell, I think Wagner had spot on. Creatively probably our best player on paper, but he needed to work harder at the other aspects of the game. And he also spent a lot of time out injured.
- Cantwell, hadn't been right for some time.
- Hugill, was never really good enough, his pace just wasn't up to how we played, looking for movement as well as a battering ram. On a couple of occasions at least, it looked like he was running through treacle.
- McGovern and Martin are sort of negligible in terms of actual first team impact.
- Hayden, to be honest, we struggled with the hole he left for most of the season, and have done from before he came to us. Norman didn't for fill the promise of being able to play that role either.
- Marquinhos, didn't really see enough from him.

More voids will yet appear, but in some senses this is natural shedding. If we are hand on heart honest here, the only two players you'd have been tempted to keep from that list at the time of them departing would be Dowell and Pukki. Even then though, this feels the right time for Pukki and if Dowell isn't up to the battle, and we sort of knew he wasn't, then we need stronger in.

Hanley being out for what could be at least half of next season is another big loss really. Even if he wasn't to be seen as first choice anymore. 

9 hours ago, CDMullins said:

A) Why so rude?

B) Your answer is Josh Sargent?

A) Lol! "Shaking my head in disbelief" is far ruder than anything I have posted in that response to you. I mean, by all means dish it out if you can take it back, don't blame me if your sensitivities are hurt when it comes back at you though, at like a quarter of the level at best.

B) My answer isn't Josh Sargent. THE answer currently is Josh Sargent. There is no evidence to say Clarke-Harris is better. 

So his stats, from what I can see look like this:
18-19 League One: Scored 16 goals in 43 league games for two teams. Impressive. The first time he has scored double digits in a season. Aged 24 at the start of the season, 25 at the end of the season.
19-20 League One: Scored 13 goals in 26 league appearances. Again impressive. His second season in double digits.
20-21 League One: Scored 31 goals in 45 league appearances. Very impressive figure. Fired Posh to the Championship.
21-22 Championship: Scored 12 goals in 41 league appearances. Two more than Pukki this season. Less than Sargent (which ever way you look at it, 9 in 19 as a striker or 13 in 41 overall)
22-23 League one: 26 goals in 36 league appearances. Again, impressive, absolutely no doubt there. 

Pros - he has hit double figures in the last five seasons on the trot. He has helped fire Posh to promotion and may yet do the same with them looking likely to be in the play-off final.
Cons - he is 29 soon. Of the last five seasons he has hit double figures, he has scored less than 15 in two of them, one of them being in the Championship. One of the others he scored 16. His fee is likely to be large and it will only grow if Posh are successful in their hunt for play-off triumph.

That last bit is key. If Posh fail to get promoted they might look to cash in and reinvest in the next target their find that can be turned into a consistent goal scorer like those before Clarke-Harris, along with between his two stints to be fair. If they are promoted, they might see him being more valuable to them as part of their attempt to stay in the Championship, especially with new money looking to come into it the season after next (I think?). 

Sargent is 23. He has already scored more championship goals than Clarke-Harris. In a season where he has scored 9 goals in 19/20 appearances in a striking role.

As competition, sure - as I keep saying, not against it. But it would have to be at the right price. Two seasons of scoring good numbers in League One doesn't make him a nailed on bet to score 20+ goals next season. I will say it again, do we have the money to gamble on a 29yr old like that? We didn't with Pukki as he was on a free, we didn't with Holt because he was £800k and brought in to score goals primarily in League One.

Realistically how much are Posh going to want? £3-4m. Same sort of fee as Hugill. And we paid a fairly high price for 23 goals in 44 championship appearances Cureton as well.

There are examples both ways. The gamble is measured by how much you are going to have to shell out Vs their prior consistency. And again, do we need to add an expensive gamble to our squad when we still need to be strengthened elsewhere? I say that whilst also not being utterly surprised if we bring another striker in and let Idah go on loan. Idah won't be sold yet though. That may even be what the 5yr contract is about, loan him out and invest in the idea that with games he could be the next Carlton Moris. 

A) Lol! "Shaking my head in disbelief" is far ruder than anything I have posted in that response to you. I mean, by all means dish it out if you can take it back, don't blame me if your sensitivities are hurt when it comes back at you though, at like a quarter of the level at best.

B) My answer isn't Josh Sargent. THE answer currently is Josh Sargent. There is no evidence to say Clarke-Harris is better. 

So his stats, from what I can see look like this:
18-19 League One: Scored 16 goals in 43 league games for two teams. Impressive. The first time he has scored double digits in a season. Aged 24 at the start of the season, 25 at the end of the season.
19-20 League One: Scored 13 goals in 26 league appearances. Again impressive. His second season in double digits.
20-21 League One: Scored 31 goals in 45 league appearances. Very impressive figure. Fired Posh to the Championship.
21-22 Championship: Scored 12 goals in 41 league appearances. Two more than Pukki this season. Less than Sargent (which ever way you look at it, 9 in 19 as a striker or 13 in 41 overall)
22-23 League one: 26 goals in 36 league appearances. Again, impressive, absolutely no doubt there. 

Pros - he has hit double figures in the last five seasons on the trot. He has helped fire Posh to promotion and may yet do the same with them looking likely to be in the play-off final.
Cons - he is 29 soon. Of the last five seasons he has hit double figures, he has scored less than 15 in two of them, one of them being in the Championship. One of the others he scored 16. His fee is likely to be large and it will only grow if Posh are successful in their hunt for play-off triumph.

That last bit is key. If Posh fail to get promoted they might look to cash in and reinvest in the next target their find that can be turned into a consistent goal scorer like those before Clarke-Harris, along with between his two stints to be fair. If they are promoted, they might see him being more valuable to them as part of their attempt to stay in the Championship, especially with new money looking to come into it the season after next (I think?). 

Sargent is 23. He has already scored more championship goals than Clarke-Harris. In a season where he has scored 9 goals in 19/20 appearances in a striking role.

As competition, sure - as I keep saying, not against it. But it would have to be at the right price. Two seasons of scoring good numbers in League One doesn't make him a nailed on bet to score 20+ goals next season. I will say it again, do we have the money to gamble on a 29yr old like that? We didn't with Pukki as he was on a free, we didn't with Holt because he was £800k and brought in to score goals primarily in League One.

Realistically how much are Posh going to want? £3-4m. Same sort of fee as Hugill. And we paid a fairly high price for 23 goals in 44 championship appearances Cureton as well.

There are examples both ways. The gamble is measured by how much you are going to have to shell out Vs their prior consistency. And again, do we need to add an expensive gamble to our squad when we still need to be strengthened elsewhere? I say that whilst also not being utterly surprised if we bring another striker in and let Idah go on loan. Idah won't be sold yet though. That may even be what the 5yr contract is about, loan him out and invest in the idea that with games he could be the next Carlton Moris. 

Name calling? CDBeetamax?

For the second time, I haven't suggested JC-H.

20 hours ago, chicken said:

I believe we need defenders, defensive midfielders AND a top striker (not a 'just' another forward - a pure goal-scorer). Talking of forward players, I don't rate Idah or Sargent; both of those could easily be replaced.

5 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Name calling? CDBeetamax?

For the second time, I haven't suggested JC-H.

Lol! It was a play on CDs which have gone the way of Beetamax too! It was a gentle joke. You thought that was like some sort of name calling? Sorry buddy, but if you think that is worse than saying you are shaking your head in disbelief (which made it appear you were all for us going for JC-H) then a bit of reflection is needed.

I have had chicken used in all sorts of creative ways on here over the years. Never bothers me. Just like being at school and people giving your name new twists.