Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Championship Play-Offs

I know many on here are not interested who wins them but for those that are who’s your pick? I have a sneaky feeling Sunderland may prevail for back to back promotions.

A Black Cats v Coventry final would be spicy as both sets of fans hate each other after the 1977 Jimmy affair resurfaced. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Only just seen the fixtures. 

Who the hell decided that Middlesboro fans travelling for a mid-day kickoff at Coventry was smart?  I appreciate that it's a better run (roadwise) than from here to Middlesboro, but it's still a similar distance.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

Only just seen the fixtures. 

Who the hell decided that Middlesboro fans travelling for a mid-day kickoff at Coventry was smart?  I appreciate that it's a better run (roadwise) than from here to Middlesboro, but it's still a similar distance.

No worse than us travelling to Sunderland for a 12pm kick off early this season

I missed this - what’s the ‘Jimmy affair’?

Kick off times are pretty disgraceful- there should be some kind of sense applied.  We had to schlep to Sunderland and they to us for lunchtime kick offs.

Just now, Don’t be Krul said:

I want Luton to go up, so Lineker and his cronies can gush over "plucky little Luton"

I read that they need £10m of ground improvements if promoted - all In less than 3 months (in theory).  Tbh it’s about time their ground was brought up to scratch (or they moved).

Anyone but Boro please, with preference to Coventry going up, although if that happens, we'll have no chance of Robins ever being our manager.

Edited by Satriales

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I missed this - what’s the ‘Jimmy affair’?

Kick off times are pretty disgraceful- there should be some kind of sense applied.  We had to schlep to Sunderland and they to us for lunchtime kick offs.

Coventry played Bristol City at Highfield Road on the last match of the season (midweek night fixtures) Sunderland were at Everton I think. All three clubs could have dropped but Coventry had a delayed kick off (police advice said Jimmy!) Sunderland lost, Coventry had an electronic scoreboard and flashed the result up. A draw would keep both clubs up and needless to say at 2.2 both teams just went through the motions. D1cks and Milne shared champagne in the boardroom after and Sunderland fans weren’t too happy. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yeah think a Boro V Sunderland final would be spicy

Much as I want Luton to go up

Not as much as a Coventry v Sunderland final (from a fan’s perspective) The last few seasons there’s been a lot of trouble when they meet. Sunderland fans accused Coventry fans of dropping bags of excrement on them at the SOL and a few bottles too. 

Boro v Sunderland....It'll be "The Friendly Play-Off Final"...."Biff! Cuff! Slap! Kick! Flob! Gob! Bop!...'breather'....an' then Biff! again"....

But I'd really love Luton to go up....As they'd probably emulate in the top-flight how we'd get on if by divine intervention we'd somehow got promoted....Sat watching Haaland scoring a brace, with him wearing Fisherman's Chest waders, reading a kindle and scoffing a minty choc cornetto....whilst giving Grealish a piggy-back....

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I read that they need £10m of ground improvements if promoted - all In less than 3 months (in theory).  Tbh it’s about time their ground was brought up to scratch (or they moved).

https://www.stadiumguide.com/new-luton-town-stadium/

They are moving, so the required 10m improvements will only be for one season!

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Coventry played Bristol City at Highfield Road on the last match of the season (midweek night fixtures) Sunderland were at Everton I think. All three clubs could have dropped but Coventry had a delayed kick off (police advice said Jimmy!) Sunderland lost, Coventry had an electronic scoreboard and flashed the result up. A draw would keep both clubs up and needless to say at 2.2 both teams just went through the motions. D1cks and Milne shared champagne in the boardroom after and Sunderland fans weren’t too happy. 

Ah - I do vaguely recall that now you mention it.

Oddly, these days we blame Everton far more than them for us getting shafted in 1985, but it was surely Coventry as much as the Toffees.

Edited by Branston Pickle

20 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

What..... What about if Luton go up and stay up 😱😱😱😱😱😱

I'd love that! There would be some on here who wouldn't know if they needed a sh1t or a haircut.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Ah - I do vaguely recall that now you mention it.

Oddly, these days we blame Everton far more than them for us getting shafted in 1985, but it was surely Coventry as much as the Toffees.

In a strange way relegation was good for us that season. Maybe the injustice helped us in some way to come straight back up as champions. Good seasons in the top flight followed finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th. 

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I'd love that! There would be some on here who wouldn't know if they needed a sh1t or a haircut.

But think of that poor guy who lives in their 'away end' having to put up with Chelsea fans trudging through his bathroom...

• Haha 1

Kenilworth Rd was a top in the 80 s abroad only got worse, but a move to new ground down M1 will see improvement to ground that is more amenable.  Cold Blow Lane was the only ground to compare.

28 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

In a strange way relegation was good for us that season. Maybe the injustice helped us in some way to come straight back up as champions. Good seasons in the top flight followed finishing 3rd, 4th and 5th. 

Aye - was just reminding myself of that league season, it’s often overlooked in my mind because of the Milk Cup win, we were relegated on 49 pts which was a record over a 42 game season…I do remember the following season very fondly, if after a dodgy start (which I always remember when people want to bin a manager early doors).

4 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

VAR going to be used in all playoff games - that's Luton ****ed then.

Just the Wembley finals not the semis. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Ah so it is, I read "all three" as the three games.  My mistake.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Still ridiculous, if you aren't using var for the champs regular season then it shouldn't be used in the play offs at all either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Still ridiculous, if you aren't using var for the champs regular season then it shouldn't be used in the play offs at all either. 

Most of the TV audience seem love it. All the drama with endless replays and exciting lines being drawn. Those that don't get to use that time to make a cup of tea. Or mug...

Edited by nutty nigel
⏱️☕

22 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Most of the TV audience seem love it.

How do you know?

Did the Carrow Rd camera man tell you?

3 hours ago, Satriales said:

Anyone but Boro please, with preference to Coventry going up, although if that happens, we'll have no chance of Robins ever being our manager.

Why the heck would he want to leave Coventry for here anyway?!

• Haha 1

Sunderland have timed their run to perfection. They will be on a high. 

Edited by City fan
Spelling

2 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I can see why they're doing it though. The Playoff final is worth about £180m nowadays, and you don't want an absolute shocker of a decision to decide it. 

But then again, Huddersfield were harshly done by last season and VAR was being used then as well.