Sign in to follow this  

So this season has been bad - I think regardless of your feelings about Webber, Wagner, Delia etc we can all agree on that.

However, all is not lost and we're not in the horrendous position some think. Reasons to be optimistic about next season:-

* we have a manager who managed to get Huddersfield promoted. Huddersfield... Huddersfield. Say it again, Huddersfield. 

* Wagner will have a full pre-season to impress his ideas and get them fit.

* we look to be doing business early

* we have top class facilities

* the GK position appears to be settled

* Andy Omo, Liam Gibbs, Sarge, Mumba, McCallum, Tzolis, Idah are all another year older. Plus other fringe youth players that have been on the bench this year may break through.

* one more year of parachute payments

* we still weren't far off the playoffs this year despite our dire performances, so there isn't much to make up.

* Aarons, Sara and Rashica should fetch a few quid to rebuild with. If we don't sell Aarons and Sara we have two top class players at this level.

* Nunez has had his adaptation year - I'm convinced he'll come good.

* Attanasio take over will most likely complete.

* season ticket sales remain strong

* everything feels better after the summer and this season can be firmly put behind us

I know some want to beat the club up at every opportunity, and I've said before Webber should correctly be under pressure this summer, but I don't think we're far away. The absolute key is a top class CDM to sign. Get that right and another three or four half decent signings and there is no reason the good times won't roll again.

• Like 3

* we have a manager who managed to get Huddersfield promoted. Huddersfield... Huddersfield. Say it again, Huddersfield. 

I do like Wagner, he's more likable than Smith an fits our club, so OK agree give him time to build, we're not getting Robins now.

I hope so, Smith training regime was being questioned by fans and players alike.

Until we sign players, I reserve judgement on that, hopefully we will assemble our squad before we start training and preparing for next season.

So do pretty much all clubs now.

Not sure what this is as goalies go through dodgy periods, but we do have two quality keepers.

* Andy Omo, Liam Gibbs, Sarge, Mumba, McCallum, Tzolis, Idah are all another year older. Plus other fringe youth players that have been on the bench this year may break through.

I believe we are already being prepared for Omobamadele to be sold along with Aarons and Sara to raise funds as said by Wagner in his pressers.

Is this a Positive? we need to ensure as a self funding club to ensure we cover the eventuality of not going up, s don't expect much in the way of big money being spent even with sales.

* we still weren't far off the playoffs this year despite our dire performances, so there isn't much to make up.

Our form in the last 10 games is bottom of the league! Good job we don't have another ten to go or relegation would have been on the horizon.

* Aarons, Sara and Rashica should fetch a few quid to rebuild with. If we don't sell Aarons and Sara we have two top class players at this level.

As above one season of parachute payments and already borrowed on that so any money in will not go directly into the kitty.....self funded club has to think at least a season ahead.

Who knows, maybe along with Idah and it could be great.

I wouldn't hold your breath, it should have been done by now, there's more going on behind the scenes than any of us know. Would have been good to have it all wrapped up going into a key summer.

Great for the board.

We do have potential to have a great season, but......players are shot of confidence, we have a very limited budget until we sell our best players and we will be buying cheaper to cover those sold......not great position to be in, Webber utterly being criticsed by the majority of the fan base so a challenging season ahead to get the atmosphere back, the takeover has gone silent, no news isn't always good news especially where our current majority share holders are concerned with external investment / takeover.

But here's hoping for the positives.

* everything feels better after the summer and this season can be firmly put behind us

30 minutes ago, Indy said:

So do pretty much all clubs now.

Until we have a tree growing out of the top of a stand this is just happy clapping nonsense.

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

So this season has been bad - I think regardless of your feelings about Webber, Wagner, Delia etc we can all agree on that.

However, all is not lost and we're not in the horrendous position some think. Reasons to be optimistic about next season:-

I know some want to beat the club up at every opportunity, and I've said before Webber should correctly be under pressure this summer, but I don't think we're far away. The absolute key is a top class CDM to sign. Get that right and another three or four half decent signings and there is no reason the good times won't roll again.

Difficult to argue with 

well done on trying to impart some positivity on here 

• Like 1

I am always optimistic, even when we don't win. Only last month, I was one number away from winning the jackpot on the lottery. It was number 73, I live at number 75..

Many of the more aged on here can tell us of harder times for the club. August 2009. Deservedly dumped into L1 and humiliated by a 7 goal thrashing by Colchester. Look how that season ended.

The optimism of the thousands who follow City away. So If the ups and downs of an average football club is not for you then far queue, we do not need your sort with your endless whining and griping.

4 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

I think is a pretty fair post, there’s still positives and potential positives regardless of how the last couple of years have gone.

As someone who thinks we have lots to learn from the last two years I’m still hopeful we will see that happen this summer. Failure isn’t the opposite of success, it’s essential learning for it. 

The bit in bold is true IMO. Regardless of what happens this summer it actually doesn’t matter personally. I’ll still get excited over rumours, watch the YouTube videos of signings and think they look great, dismiss preseason results and wait 10-12 games to see how things have actually gone.  

Edited by Monty13

Folks are saying we are going to be selling Sara a fair bit, could anyone point me in the direction of where this could be supported by a somewhat reliable source please?

Aarons will be entering the last year of his contract and the club/Webber/Farke etc have made it clear that they wouldn't stand in his way. Some folks will recall that it almost felt like that was on the cards before. Though Barcelona took the p!$$ with a loan offer.

Omobamidele has had a few rumours thrown around, and in some ways, for me, makes sense. Especially if the £20m is to be believed. I like the lad and think he will become a good player, but he's not there yet, demonstrated by the end of the season we are seeing. Without an experienced hand alongside him he isn't performing as well as he had been. In fact, you could even point to Aarons not being a steadying hand either on his right hand side. Just another indicator that despite having played a lot of games for a 23yr old, age generally still doesn't deliver consistency and the experiences that life gives you and can impact you on a football pitch.

I'm not sure I see them selling Sara if they can shift those two and Rashica. If fees that are being bandied about are accurate we should be looking at around £30m for the three, conservatively. £35m+ if the following rumours are achieved: £20m Omobamidele, £10m Aarons, £6m Rashica.

That's a fair chunk to spend at this level already. Especially if it is focused on quality rather than quantity. Which is why I am a little hopeful when we hear of additions like Barnes who comes in on a free and adds much needed experience and depth. Others have pointed out there are some good free targets out there, and others that will be entering the final years of their contracts.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

As one of the gloomiest doom mongers on here, I have to admit that this is all true and it's possible we'll turn it around next season.

To have any degree of optimism you would need to have confidence in Webber’s ability to rebuild the squad. Which is too large a stretch for my sceptical self.

I am optimistic that we have learnt from the past and won't be selling our best player, especially as he is happy to stay here.

Sara will develop like all the other players in our squad and should be our 'weapon' in this league.

If and I mean if....Sara is/was to be sold....I really don't think the club would be daft enough to announce the prospective departure of 'huge mural' Sara until at least the dust has settled after today's thrilling prospect of a game - coupled with joyous celebrations by the NCFC supporting die-hards as our stupendous Squad, staff, family and others do a lap quicker than Usain Bolt at his peak and they then disappear down through the tunnel faster than a Japanese bullet train .....

Anyone heard Stu state 'Chase esque'..."If Sara isn't here for next season's battle for promotion, then neither will I be".....

Will Alice the Piper in a stage managed interview ask our Stu if Sara is stayin'?.....

Well....I'm now off for a slow walk to the ground....I may get to see all them reely uncouth disgruntled an' norty peeple protestin' outside the City Stand entrance against Stu an' things they don't like at the club....Personally I feel it'll be a damp squib and not a vociferous collective of angry fan-folk....

But I actually want to see Sara get his award and the Pukkmeister playing for the last time for us.....and to say au revoir to my complimentary soccerkickyfussball programme....not that I keep them....

Anyway, hope y'all have a good afternoon and enjoy the forthcoming summer soccer less sabbatical....