Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

24 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

So here's a question. How would you feel if this were the team we lined up with next season....

Gunn

Stacey  Duffy   Gibson   McCallum

McLean  Sara

Ince   Barnes   Sainz

Sargent

Because at the minute, this is looking increasingly likely.... 

Given it has 3 players in it that we don’t even have, and two we’ve never seen in a Norwich shirt, it’s rather hard to say.  I dare say the usual people will claim Sainz is rubbish though I (and they probably) know precisely nothing about him.  

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Given it has 3 players in it that we don’t even have, and two we’ve never seen in a Norwich shirt, it’s rather hard to say. 

Yes that tends to be how hypothetical conversations work. I'm not asking how they would play - I'm asking how we'd feel about it.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Yes that tends to be how hypothetical conversations work. I'm not asking how they would play - I'm asking how we'd feel about it.

Imo this season is very much about pre season and getting the mentality-fitness right.  If it is then this side could be great - or utter ****e - I’d hope for the former. 

55 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I’m known for being a realist and fairly chipper as it happens. And last summer my “whinge” was that we needed to sign CDM able to last a season and predicted we would finish 13 if we didn’t….which is exactly what happened.  

Well, you did but you also:

1) Predicted relegation in Farke's second season. We got promoted

2) Predicted a failure in ability to bounce back after Premier League relegation. Won the title at a canter.

3) Said our Summer 2021 Transfer Window was the best one you've ever seen.

And that's just off the top of my head. So probably stop dining out on eventually getting a prediction conveniently right (and without significant injuries at the end of the season you'd still have been wrong, so be thankful that Hanley and Mclean helped you out)

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We also signed over 30 Molby, Naismith, Cottee, the fat Celtic chap and various other hopeless waste of signings over the years…the stars have been dwarfed by the useless I would argue 

3 hours ago, repman said:

He was also a world cup winner

Indeed! The point is that just like other players of a younger age, 30-year-olds can turn out to be great signings as well as flops.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

That’s a Lower mid championship side unless they get lucky 

Like Luton's starting XI last season?

If we are intent upon signing players who are past their best then surely it is important that they have some pedigree to rely upon.

Peters, Channon, O'Neill three players with class who even in their twilight years were able to offer a lot to the team.

Whilst neither Barnes nor Duffy are at their levels of achievement they offer enough experience at the top level to suggest that they can also be valuable to the team at this moment in time.

As a reversal of Webber's previously stated strategy there has to be a degree of scepticism, or even disappointment, at this turn of events.

But, that's the way it has become.  

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I don't really care how old the players that we sign are if they make us better and get us in the promotion mix.

Succinctly put 

The Ince one I don't really get.

Duffy and Barnes specifically address a gap in experience and in leadership in key areas. Stacey is a plug and play starter to replace the likely departing Aarons. 

Ince, unless I'm missing something, doesnt have a rep as a leader or the type who drives others onwards- in fact kind of the opposite. Everything I've seen suggests he's moody and prone to downing tools and at 31 he doesn't offer much more than Onel Hernandez.

If we do sign him I can only imagine he's somebody Wagner has specifically asked for.

Edited by king canary
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

So here's a question. How would you feel if this were the team we lined up with next season....

Gunn

McLean  Sara

Ince   Barnes   Sainz

Sargent

It would concern me for two reasons...

1- no new dm

2- this line up suggests we've sold Aarons, Omobamidele and Rashica. If we sell potentially £30m+ of players and replace them with 5 free transfers then I think people might be reasonably underwhelmed.

9 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Gunn

McLean  Sara

Ince   Barnes   Sainz

Sargent

Pretty unimpressed to put it bluntly. Back 4 looks solid enough but elsewhere? Fans will go ape if we sell Aaron's and Omo and roll out that lot.

Still no defensive midfielder and no creativity. At least Hernandez doesn't start which is a bonus. 

We can only evaluate summer recruitment once it has ended, so basically you can't at the moment otherthan give your opinion on individual signings and rumours.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

It would concern me for two reasons...

1- no new dm

2- this line up suggests we've sold Aarons, Omobamidele and Rashica. If we sell potentially £30m+ of players and replace them with 5 free transfers then I think people might be reasonably underwhelmed.

Well, quite. I can’t for the life of me understand why that scenario would be likely to happen other than perhaps for a very one-off game. (As I said, it includes 3 players we are only linked with so far)

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well, quite. I can’t for the life of me understand why that scenario would be likely to happen other than perhaps for a very one-off game. (As I said, it includes 3 players we are only linked with so far)

Yes, didn't want to be harsh but it doesn't feel likely at all.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yes, didn't want to be harsh but it doesn't feel likely at all.

Based on what? Your preconceived notions that we're actually going to spend some money this summer? That line up at present has more credibility than your suggestion that anyone is likely to be sold for the sort of money that won't immediately be reinvested back into keeping this club operational.

I think perhaps your expectations are set too highly.

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It's a question asked to provoke discussion pickles. The links are credible and believable and if happens would lead to a line up like the one I've posted above.

I'm not sure why you can't understand this.

Don't want Ince.

Is Sainz the deal?

McCallum needs persisting with, perhaps.

No defensive midfielder again, again.

As a starting line-up it doesn't appear top-six, but of course the bench is just as important nowadays.

What would that be?

Nunu, Idah, Tzolis, Tompkinson, Hernandez, Placheta

Seems average on the surface, but it's early days.

31 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Based on what? Your preconceived notions that we're actually going to spend some money this summer? That line up at present has more credibility than your suggestion that anyone is likely to be sold for the sort of money that won't immediately be reinvested back into keeping this club operational.

I think perhaps your expectations are set too highly.

As you say it's all about hypotheticals and I think a hypothetical that we sell £30m worth of players and spent a total of zero in fees feels extremely unlikely. Yes these are the players we're linked with but I'd expect that if we sell the players your suggesting then different targets will be linked.

I'd say it's quite odd to say it's likely that the only players we will sign are those we've been linked with in early June.

Just now, Terminally Yellow said:

No. Way.

Its good money for Nunez for sure, however it would be a waste not to see him produce some displays for us next season. The idea is to build rather than sell, albeit some being off is inevitable. 

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

No. Way.

Would bite their hand off. He had his moments but £20m for a player who only started half our games last season? 

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Would bite their hand off. He had his moments but £20m for a player who only started half our games last season? 

Twenty million Euro, so about £17.5m.

That would be very tidy business to be fair bearing in mind we got him in for about £4m. Would leave us a bit light on creativity though. Not to mention we can probably get a little more as they've just flogged MacAllister.

Edited by TheGunnShow

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

Hamer would cost less from Coventry and is twice the player. Half of that supposed offer would be incredible. 

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Twenty million Euro, so about £17.5m.

That would be very tidy business to be fair bearing in mind we got him in for about £4m. Would leave us a bit light on creativity though. Not to mention we can probably get a little more as they've just flogged MacAllister.

Yeah, especially as he didn't exactly pull up trees last season. Saying that Brighton have been so good with their South American scouting that them wanting him makes me think he's worth hanging on to!

I’d definitely prefer to keep Nunez.  £20m or thereabouts is a decent sum for a guy who was a bit in-and-out, but I always though after a rest and pre-season that he’d kick on.  

We know there’s going to be leavers, we just don’t know who. I would think/hope there are some that we have decided we ‘must’ try to keep, but of course even at the top everyone has a price.

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’d definitely prefer to keep Nunez.  £20m or thereabouts is a decent sum for a guy who was a bit in-and-out, but I always though after a rest and pre-season that he’d kick on.  

We know there’s going to be leavers, we just don’t know who. I would think/hope there are some that we have decided we ‘must’ try to keep, but of course even at the top everyone has a price.

I agree. People would spit feathers if we sold him for circa £17m and then had a cracking season with Brighton. Lets see what he can do after a rest and pre season. Its always gonna be a gamble whichever way you look at it. 

So now the prospect of selling Sara, Aarons, Omo and Nunez to be replaced by Ince, Barnes and Duffy seems real. Talk about selling the silverwear and bedding down for a few seasons in the lower realms of the champs- maybe even league one. There better be some incoming hope soon…

• Like 1

If Brighton want one of your players there must be something to them. I think Nunez's struggles last season came more from the fact that we were massively undercoached than him not adapting to this level. Put him in a side where everyone knows what they're doing I think he'd be just fine.

6 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

So now the prospect of selling Sara, Aarons, Omo and Nunez to be replaced by Ince, Barnes and Duffy seems real. Talk about selling the silverwear and bedding down for a few seasons in the lower realms of the champs- maybe even league one. There better be some incoming hope soon…

There’s you being a “realist” again! 

• Haha 1