Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Rotherham

It was fairly pelting down when I got up this morning and so was not looking forward to the ride down to CR, but fortunately my daughter texted to say she would take us down and pick us up. By lunchtime the sun was out in any event but the lift saved my legs a bit.

Home form has been pretty poor this season but we usually beat Rotherham so I was fully expecting three points as we kicked off towards the River End and it was quite a lively start with City getting staright on to the front foot. Hernandez got a roar out of the crowd as he spun away from his marker and made ground before picking out Pukki on the edge of the box. He was a split second too late in pulling the trigger however as the ball was blocked away for a corner. After some neat passing across the face of the visitors penalty area the ball fell to McCallum, who fizzed an effort goalwards that brought a fine diving save from Vickers in the Rotherham goal.

From the resulting corner Sargent had the glimpse of an opening and his on target shot rebounded off the keeper and was hooked away before Pukki could pounce. Chances continued to come thick and fast as the visitors reeled under constant pressure and Pukki was again close when trying a first time effort as the ball came in from the City left. Once again a Rotherham defender got a vital block and the ball was scrambled away. A minute later Sara banged a low shot from about twenty five yards but it was a yard or two off target. It was very encouraging stuff with the home side creating more chances early doors than in the entirety  of many recent home performances.

Just before the quarter hour Pukki really should have opened the City account as a neat chip from Gabby Sara beat the offside trap and put him yards clear of the Rotherham defence. Once again vital split seconds were lost as he brought the ball under control and a defenders toe was enough to deflect the shot off target. He almost redeemed himself a couple of minutes later but having worked space he could only fire a cross shot a foot over the bar.

We had seen little positive from the visitors but from about midway through the half they had managed to slow the pace of the game down and get some joy of their own with a series of throw ins and free kicks from their right wing and City were lucky to survive when a sharp low cross was fired well over from the centre of the goal and only six yards out. From my end it looked harder to miss than score. The game became much more of a midfield battle from then on although McCallum was unlucky to see his well struck effort from twenty yards, deflect just wide off a defenders head. When ref Simpson blew for halftime it felt like a satisfactory performance with just the deserved lead lacking. Looking at the other halftime scores around the country it seemed that a decent three points today would put us in a fairly strong position in the playoff race.

From the off City continued to look dangerous although good chances were now harder to come by although Hernandez ought to have done better when put through by Sargent just before the hour mark. It appeared to me that a zig and a zag should have been enough to work a shooting opportunity but after further zigs and zags the door closed and a deflected ball was hoofed clear not far from the line. Then Marquinhos who had been fairly quiet up to now, zipped in a low effort that Vickers got a hand to and for all the world it looked like McCallum only had to make a connection to score but fell over his own feet and again the ball was scrambled for a corner. From this one Pukki had a clear opportunity as the ball came back to him near the edge of the box but somehow his shot beat everyone including the far post.

To me this latest bout of play signalled that it wasn't going to be our day and the game became exceedingly tedious as the visitors milked the clock and the home side frustratingly couldn't put anything together. We had Idah for Pukki, Tzolis for Marquihos and Gianoullis for McCallum but it didn't look like making a difference. The crowd got annoyed with the time wasting but in Rotherham's position a point here is worth its weight in gold so who can blame them.

The longer the game went on the less likely we looked like scoring but as we entered the last knockings, Tzolis burst into the box from the left and while a quick pass back to hiim from Idah might have served better,  the City striker couldn't sort his feet out and the chance was gone. It pretty much summed up the whole experiencefor me today, lots of promise but no end product. There is still a possibility of a glorious end but in all honesty it would be totally undeserved in what has been a disappointing season. I really did expect more, perhaps recent seasons have spoiled me and I should get used to the brand of mediocrity that we can all see in front of us.

Omo my MOM today, I thought he looked commanding throughout and Hugill never got a look in.

The best thing about the day was that I got a lift home and my daughter had baked some nice sausage rolls for me. I was so hungry I ate one in the car and won the prize for the worlds messiest eater.

Edited by ricardo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 13

F

18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

It was fairly pelting down when I got up this morning and so was not looking forward to the ride down to CR, but fortunately my daughter texted to say she would take us down and pick us up. By lunchtime the sun was out in any event but the lift saved my legs a bit.

Home form has been pretty poor this season but we usually beat Rotherham so I was fully expecting three points as we kicked off towards the River End and it was quite a lively start with City getting staright on to the front foot. Hernandez got a roar out of the crowd as he spun away from his marker and made ground before picking out Pukki on the edge of the box. He was a split second too late in pulling the trigger however as the ball was blocked away for a corner. After some neat passing across the face of the visitors penalty area the ball fell to McCallum, who fizzed an effort goalwards that brought a fine diving save from Vickers in the Rotherham goal.

From the resulting corner Sargent had the glimpse of an opening and his on target shot rebounded off the keeper and was hooked away before Pukki could pounce. Chances continued to come thick and fast as the visitors reeled under constant pressure and Pukki was again close when trying a first time effort as the ball came in from the City left. Once again a Rotherham defender got a vital block and the ball was scrambled away. A minute later Sara banged a low shot from about twenty five yards but it was a yard or two off target. It was very encouraging stuff with the home side creating more chances early doors than in the entirety  of many recent home performances.

Just before the quarter hour Pukki really should have opened the City account as a neat chip from Gabby Sara beat the offside trap and put him yards clear of the Rotherham defence. Once again vital split seconds were lost as he brought the ball under control and a defenders toe was enough to deflect the shot off target. He almost redeemed himself a couple of minutes later but having worked space he could only fire a cross shot a foot over the bar.

We had seen little positive from the visitors but form about midway through the half they had managed to slow the pace of the game down and get some joy of their own with a series of throw ins and free kicks from their right wing and City were lucky to survive when a sharp low cross was fired well over from the centre of the goal and only six yards out. From my end it looked harder to miss than score. The game became much more of a midfield battle from then on although McCallum was unlucky to see his well struck effort from twenty yards, deflect just wide off a defenders head. When ref Simpson blew for halftime it felt like a satisfactory performance with just the deserved lead lacking. Looking at the other halftime scores around the country it seemed that a decent three points today would put us in a fairly strong position in the playoff race.

From the off City continued to look dangerous although good chances were now harder to come by although Hernandez ought to have done better when put through by Sargent just before the hour mark. It appeared to me that a zig and a zag should have been enough to work a shooting opportunity but after further zigs and zags the door closed and a deflected ball was hoofed clear not far from the line. Then Marquinhos who had been fairly quiet up to now, zipped in a low effort that got a hand to and for all the world it looked like McCallum only had to make a connection to score but fell over his own feet and again the ball was scrambled for a corner. From this one Pukki had a clear opportunity as the ball came back to him near the edge of the box but somehow his shot beat everyone including the far post.

To me this latest bout of play signalled that it wasn't going to be our day and the game became exceedingly tedious as the visitors milked the clock and the home side frustratingly couldn't put anything together. We had Idah for Pukki, Tzolis for Marquihos and Gianoullis for McCallum but it didn't look like making a difference. The crowd got annoyed with the time wasting but in Rotherham's position a point here is worth its weight in gold so who can blame them.

The longer the game went on the less likely we looked like scoring but as we entered the last knockings, Tzolis burst into the box from the left and while a quick pass back to hiim from Idah might have served better,  the City striker couldn't sort his feet out and the chance was gone. It pretty much summed up the whole experiencefor me today, lots of promise but no end product. There is still a possibility of a glorious end but in all honesty it would be totally undeserved in what has been a disappointing season. I really did expect more, perhaps recent seasons have spoiled me and I should get used to the brand of mediocrity that we can all see in front of us.

Omo my MOM today, I thought he looked commanding throughout and Hugill never got a look in.

The best thing about the day was that I got a lift home and my daughter had baked some nice sausage rolls for me. I was so hungry I ate one in the car and won the prize for the worlds messiest eater.

Flaky or Shortcrust? I would rather discuss that than that awful match.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

F

Flaky or Shortcrust? I would rather discuss that than that awful match.

Flaky

with mustard

a bit like the performance today

but much tastier.

6 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

Great report Ricardo. I enjoyed that more than the match this afternoon 

Thanks, I quite enjoyed the first half and felt a goal would come but the longer it went on the more certain I became that it wouldn't. I need to see some goals to keep my Great grandson interested. I noted that he spent much of the last half hour looking at his phone. Probably more of interest on there than on the pitch to be honest.

I hope I'm wrong but it feels to me that we might be headed for an extended period of mid table medicrity.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thanks, I quite enjoyed the first half and felt a goal would come but the longer it went on the more certain I became that it wouldn't. I need to see some goals to keep my Great grandson interested. I noted that he spent much of the last half hour looking at his phone. Probably more of interest on there than on the pitch to be honest.

I hope I'm wrong but it feels to me that we might be headed for an extended period of mid table medicrity.

Yes me too unfortunately. Like you I’ve seen us go around the circle a few times to see we may be heading for a bit of a mediocre spell. I really hope not for your great grandson’s sake. Lovely for you to have him with you so long may that continue. I certainly enjoy the games so much more because I go with my daughter. 

Today was just so frustrating rather than dull. I felt the game was there for the taking if we could just step it up a bit. There were spells when it looked likely only for us to go back into our shells again. It’s not lack of effort but needing more urgency. Rotherham took their time with free kicks and throw ins as you would expect but there were times when we seemed just as pedestrian.

Oh well hope springs eternal and you never know we could come back from Borough with three points 😁  Seen that plenty of times too!

Your report is unfair on Hugill. I saw him break into a stroll at least twice....otherwise

Onel gets better by the game Lungi and Omo were excellent at the back. I cannot see us being able to hold on to the latter for more than another season, after displays like today. Marquis should have been replaced by Tzolis.  Idah did his best to prove why so many have such a low opinion of him. Whereas Gibbs is also improving by the game. Another day, and at least one of the chances in the first half would have gone in.

Apart from Preston it is pretty much as you were. Even there Preston's next two games are Millwall and Blackburn, so something has to give. We are still in this, and after another fine team performance it bodes well. As to what we deserve, well we deserve where the points take us. Some seem to feel we only had to turn up and it would be another promotion/title. Well, the 'second X1' did turn up, again today. . And the fat lady is still clearing her throat, so onwards and upwards. From your River End to the Riverside, a playoff place is till there for the taking.

Edited by PockthorpePete

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

We had seen little positive from the visitors but from about midway through the half they had managed to slow the pace of the game down and get some joy of their own with a series of throw ins and free kicks from their right wing and City were lucky to survive when a sharp low cross was fired well over from the centre of the goal and only six yards out. From my end it looked harder to miss than score. The game became much more of a midfield battle from then on although McCallum was unlucky to see his well struck effort from twenty yards, deflect just wide off a defenders head. When ref Simpson blew for halftime it felt like a satisfactory performance with just the deserved lead lacking. Looking at the other halftime scores around the country it seemed that a decent three points today would put us in a fairly strong position in the playoff race.

From the off City continued to look dangerous although good chances were now harder to come by although Hernandez ought to have done better when put through by Sargent just before the hour mark. It appeared to me that a zig and a zag should have been enough to work a shooting opportunity but after further zigs and zags the door closed and a deflected ball was hoofed clear not far from the line. Then Marquinhos who had been fairly quiet up to now, zipped in a low effort that Vickers got a hand to and for all the world it looked like McCallum only had to make a connection to score but fell over his own feet and again the ball was scrambled for a corner. From this one Pukki had a clear opportunity as the ball came back to him near the edge of the box but somehow his shot beat everyone including the far post.

Having watched on the red button, thought our back four today were as composed as I've seen all season, had we scored one of the early chances it would have been a different feeling. But a big positive that the back line looked as good as it has. BIG issue no outlet in midfield, we need to find the next Wes and quick.

Yep, positives today were the starting back four! Total control. 

On another day we might have got an early goal and then who knows how many we could have scored. But we didn't. 

Just what is it with playing at home this season - something has to change ...

We didn't win because we missed at least three big chances. We only needed one goal today. The subs didn't help and we missed leadership on the pitch especially towards the end of the game when we weren't exactly driving forward.

Big chance missed today but a win on Friday could put us back in contention. It's away so there's a chance...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

We didn't win because we missed at least three big chances. We only needed one goal today. The subs didn't help and we missed leadership on the pitch especially towards the end of the game when we weren't exactly driving forward.

Big chance missed today but a win on Friday could put us back in contention. It's away so there's a chance...

The thing is hose around us have to play each other. Millwall, Preston, Blackburn. Whatever the results are in now means we are theoretically in 6th place minimum,  as long as we match their other results. It is in our hands. Who would have though that a few weeks back when we were 4 points off sixth that after losing Hanley, Gibson and MacLean we would now be one point off 5th

• Like 1

The whole Pukki thing has become difficult. He missed 3 or.4 chances and looked like a player that is passed his best. As a result of him in front of Sargent and Marquinhos he had the main chances, which he missed. The only time Sarge has looked any good was as a 9. But we didn’t play him there. 

Must be time to play Sarge as the 9. 

I also feel for Gibbs. He is the only fit player deemed capable of playing in-front of the back 4. Shame cos he looks able to be more creative . Even as a 10. 

Gibbs is a good player. I fear he is the one able to play out of position so as a result gets played out of post. Which isn’t playing to his strengths. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Ricardo, absolutely. Just feels like we're going to enter a Norwich low. The Circadian circles of joy and Meh. I've a season Ticket, my 12 and 15 Yr old are on the waiting list. They went today. It's there incessant babbling of Norwich during the week that keeps me focused and interested. They can't wait for their turn. Poor souls.

• Like 3

Great report as usual Ricardo, I do wonder if Wagner knows that we will not be going up this season and is judging who to keep and who to replace. Although Sörenson was excellent in defence, I would have been tempted to play a youngster there allowing Sörenson to play the anchor role and the excellent Gibbs moving further forward. Finally, who would you choose, McCallum or Giannoulis?

14 hours ago, ricardo said:

Flaky

with mustard

but much tastier.

It's brown sauce on sozzie rolls you absolute HEATHEN!.... 😉 

12 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

It's brown sauce on sozzie rolls you absolute HEATHEN!.... 😉 

None in the glove box unfortunately.

13 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Yep, positives today were the starting back four! Total control. 

On another day we might have got an early goal and then who knows how many we could have scored. But we didn't. 

Just what is it with playing at home this season - something has to change ...

Yep, our away form has us 6th (but with a game in hand over 5th). Our home form is 13th....

22 minutes ago, Steve White said:

Great report as usual Ricardo, I do wonder if Wagner knows that we will not be going up this season and is judging who to keep and who to replace. Although Sörenson was excellent in defence, I would have been tempted to play a youngster there allowing Sörenson to play the anchor role and the excellent Gibbs moving further forward. Finally, who would you choose, McCallum or Giannoulis?

McCallum for me.

Gianoullis appears unable to pass to a yellow shirt. For the money we paid he has been a big disappointment.

15 hours ago, ricardo said:

Flaky

with mustard

but much tastier.

Tell her to try them with a sliver of mango chutney as well as the mustard. Archers sausage meat obviously. Yum

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I also feel for Gibbs. He is the only fit player deemed capable of playing in-front of the back 4. Shame cos he looks able to be more creative . Even as a 10. 

Gibbs is a good player. I fear he is the one able to play out of position so as a result gets played out of position 

The same with Sorenson. Gifted all round footballers often get moved around to their detriment. 

Having said that I'd like to see Sorenson and Andrew O against a better side to see how good they are defensively. They are so much better with the ball at their feet than the other 2. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

None in the glove box unfortunately.

"Mustard in the Glove Box?"....Sounds like an electro and synth pop duo.....

"Techno Techno Techno Brown sauce on my sausage roll, sausage roll, sausage roll!"....ad infinitum..... 

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yep, our away form has us 6th (but with a game in hand over 5th). Our home form is 13th....

Also another game with us starting 2 strikers. Our points per game with only one starting is nearly double compared to when we play 2.

19 minutes ago, repman said:

Also another game with us starting 2 strikers. Our points per game with only one starting is nearly double compared to when we play 2.

Yep, and I'd argue our play-style looks far more defined when we have one striker and the extra midfielder.

• Like 3

Main issue I have with playing 2 strikers is that it inevitably means Sargent moving out of position which effectively caps him at a 4/5 out of 10. He's simply not equipped to create chances from deep.

Feels a little petty to complain about it given that we made more than enough chances to win the game anyway, but we are where we are.