Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Got Your ID To Allow You To Vote

16 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Plastic credit card thing that you get at 16 with your NI number on it. I still have mine somewhere.

My point is they don't need to be full on ID cards. They just need to be official with name, photo and NI number, which uniquely identifies everyone.

Many of us do not have NI cards so why not a proper ID card. What is the reluctance to have one?

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Many of us do not have NI cards so why not a proper ID card. What is the reluctance to have one?

Personally, I think the requirement to carry ID at all times for the authorities to demand you identify yourself at any time even if you're not doing anything wrong is a breach of privacy. If you can leave it at home and just present it when required then it's fine.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Personally, I think the requirement to carry ID at all times for the authorities to demand you identify yourself at any time even if you're not doing anything wrong is a breach of privacy. If you can leave it at home and just present it when required then it's fine.

I think you are imagining too many dystopian scenarios.

37 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I didn't even realize such a thing existed.

I seem to recall a scrappy piece of paper handed out at school and oddly it has on it the long only number I can remember!

I have a National Identification Number

It's used for absolutely everything. Bills are sent to my ID number, then appear in my bank account. It's needed to get a job and rent a property. It's on my residency card. Its asked for when I go to the doctor. Etc. 

It's pretty much the only number needed. Its both slightly invasive and  highly practical 

I was in the office yesterday and was talking to one of the Electoral Roll officers. He said it is currently very easy to commit voter fraud.

He knows someone who looked up the list of obituaries in his local paper, went to the polling station and voted in the name of someone who had died as their name was still on the register.

He also said that when his brother was at Uni he and a friend collected a load of poll cards from their hall of residence one year and used them to vote several times throughout the day, changing their clothing to disguise themselves each time they voted.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 17:06, Mr Angry said:

He knows someone who looked up the list of obituaries in his local paper, went to the polling station and voted in the name of someone who had died as their name was still on the register.

Risky risky as depending on the person of course voting can be a chance to bump into people you know

Just read that they will the staff in the voting halls will record the number of people who are turned away due to ID, but there will be greeters outside informing people they need ID. These greeters will not record the number of people who leave at that point.

Queue busters are an excellent way of managing a queue allowing the staff processing things to soley process and not deal with errors however clearly they don't want accurate stats on their new implementation.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Will dog passports work as well ?

You must be barking.

• Haha 1

No one outside checking my id before I went in. The whole thing is a waste of time anyway. I always got advised to Let the wookiee win. How can I when there isnt one on the ballot paper?

• Haha 1

I was fingerprinted and photographed and had to sing all verses of Rule Britannia before they let me touch the pencil.

Just been to vote, the person checking ID (no-one outside) was my neighbour, 

Me: "Hello Annabel"

Annabel (for it was her) "Hello Andy, can I see your ID?"

Me: Produces driving license.

Annabel: "Yes, that's you".

• Haha 1

Just took my passport with me. If I'd squiggled a pencil moustache on it, the austere side-parting on the photo and my capacity to speak German would have probably put the willies up anyone checking it!!

• Haha 1

Sorry Conservatives, your "cunning" plan hasn't seemed to have worked.

21 minutes ago, Herman said:

Sorry Conservatives, your "cunning" plan hasn't seemed to have worked.

It would appear not! 

I'm becoming slightly infuriated with BBC coverage of the results. In my mind this is just a huge opinion poll and the figures I want to know are the percentage of votes cast for each party. The fact that Labour has won Medway feels irrelevant to the national position. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It would appear not! 

I'm becoming slightly infuriated with BBC coverage of the results. In my mind this is just a huge opinion poll and the figures I want to know are the percentage of votes cast for each party. The fact that Labour has won Medway feels irrelevant to the nation.

Still far too many councils to declare for that. Check again this evening.

Labour has just won control of Slough and Windsor, an area that includes Eton College as well as the Castle. The swing was 22%. Blimey

27 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Still far too many councils to declare for that. Check again this evening.

Err, the weekly opinion polls are generally based on the views of 2,000 people. The number of people eligible to vote yesterday was 8 million and a quarter of the votes have now been counted. 

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It would appear not! 

I'm becoming slightly infuriated with BBC coverage of the results. In my mind this is just a huge opinion poll and the figures I want to know are the percentage of votes cast for each party. The fact that Labour has won Medway feels irrelevant to the national position. 

33 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Err, the weekly opinion polls are generally based on the views of 2,000 people. The number of people eligible to vote yesterday was 8 million and a quarter of the votes have now been counted. 

If you wanted to talk about polls, why did you talk about results, let alone on the morning when the main news is about local election results; on what basis do you think it's reasonable that anyone should know you're talking about polls having not mentioned them?

You specifically mentioned wanting to know percentage of votes cast for each party. A more complete picture across the country will be available this afternoon. It'd be ridiculous to preempt it this morning by crunching numbers now especially having actually complained in your original comment that focussing on one region like Medway is irrelevant to the national position.

57 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Labour has just won control of Slough and Windsor, an area that includes Eton College as well as the Castle. The swing was 22%. Blimey

So Medway feels irrelevant to the national position, but Slough and Windsor seems more relevant to you? Way to go for consistency...

Interesting that it seems that the whole "Let's put in voter ID to shaft the young" tactic did not work as so far it seems that the vast majority of 18-25 who are media savy were of course aware they needed ID to vote and they all vote Labour, however the OAP's who are tory did not know and thus were turned away in large numbers.

Fantastic own goal from the tories

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Interesting that it seems that the whole "Let's put in voter ID to shaft the young" tactic did not work as so far it seems that the vast majority of 18-25 who are media savy were of course aware they needed ID to vote and they all vote Labour, however the OAP's who are tory did not know and thus were turned away in large numbers.

Fantastic own goal from the tories

Voter ID was a completely justifiable reform in the first place that puts us in line with the rest of the developed democratic world regarding requirements for ID at polling stations. It was introduced before a local election, not a general election giving a proper chance to adjust.

The fact is the complaints were largely borne of neurosis and a desire to scaremonger more than genuine objections. Safe to say that we know this morning that all of the arguments were unfounded.

16 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If you wanted to talk about polls, why did you talk about results, let alone on the morning when the main news is about local election results; on what basis do you think it's reasonable that anyone should know you're talking about polls having not mentioned them?

You specifically mentioned wanting to know percentage of votes cast for each party. A more complete picture across the country will be available this afternoon. It'd be ridiculous to preempt it this morning by crunching numbers now especially having actually complained in your original comment that focussing on one region like Medway is irrelevant to the national position.

Oh dear, you've got all confused again 😂

Do you seriously believe that 2 million isn't a significant enough number of voters on which to base an opinion? The only person who agrees with you is Rishi Sunak. But try not to worry, Sky News has just told me what I wanted to know. 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Oh dear, you've got all confused again 😂

Do you seriously believe that 2 million isn't a significant enough number of voters on which to base an opinion? The only person who agrees with you is Rishi Sunak. But try not to worry, Sky News has just told me what I wanted to know. 

It think it's really stupid to form an opinion on it when you can wait 12 hours to have more complete information. So I suppose I can see why you think we should make a judgement now...

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Voter ID was a completely justifiable reform in the first place that puts us in line with the rest of the developed democratic world regarding requirements for ID at polling stations. It was introduced before a local election, not a general election giving a proper chance to adjust.

The fact is the complaints were largely borne of neurosis and a desire to scaremonger more than genuine objections. Safe to say that we know this morning that all of the arguments were unfounded.

How do you know the fears were unfounded? The Electoral Reform Society aren't so sure. 

What was worrying yesterday was that the Government agreed to count the number of people turned away by officials in polling stations. What they didn't do was tell anyone they were going to position staff outside the polling stations urging people to go away if they didn't have ID. The people who listened weren't counted. Banana Republic is the phrase that springs to mind. 

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

How do you know the fears were unfounded? The Electoral Reform Society aren't so sure. 

What was worrying yesterday was that the Government agreed to count the number of people turned away by officials in polling stations. What they didn't do was tell anyone they were going to position staff outside the polling stations urging people to go away if they didn't have ID. The people who listened weren't counted. Banana Republic is the phrase that springs to mind. 

Same way I know there's not a china teapot orbiting the sun in an elliptical orbit between Earth and Mars. Nobody has shown that it's the case.

So voter ID means banana republic? You really are getting more and more ridiculous. What about today's results indicate that the introduction of voter ID has drastically affected outcomes in the government's favour?

Amazed you're paying attention to the ERS on anything given your hidebound support of Labour's position on First Past the Post.