Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Got Your ID To Allow You To Vote

Photo ID will be needed to vote in all future UK elections the next being English Council elections. Unsure on the exact IDs required, but this will catch people out. Or Maybe it's another YK2 Bug. I personally see it in one form as having to pay(for ID) to be able to vote and a National ID card introduction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

Photo ID will be needed to vote in all future UK elections the next being English Council elections. Unsure on the exact IDs required, but this will catch people out. Or Maybe it's another YK2 Bug. I personally see it in one form as having to pay(for ID) to be able to vote and a National ID card introduction.

They've finally found a way to bring in ID cards through the back door.

Cheapest form of ID is a post office proof of age card for 15 quid. https://www.postoffice.co.uk/identity/pass-card#:~:text=The new Post Office PASS,over 16%2C 17 or 18.

1 hour ago, KiwiScot said:

Maybe, or perhaps simply the Tories again following the Trump play book and getting in a nice bit of voter suppression - don't think that will be enough to save them at the next GE though 😀

10 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Maybe, or perhaps simply the Tories again following the Trump play book and getting in a nice bit of voter suppression - don't think that will be enough to save them at the next GE though 😀

Vote rigging and racism. The tory re-election strategy. And that isn't hyperbole or partisanship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Vote rigging and racism. The tory re-election strategy. And that isn't hyperbole or partisanship.

Didn't you mean to say 'desparation'? 

It's absolutely pathetic 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Herman said:

To be fair, whenever anyone's caught for electoral fraud, it's nearly always Labour who are the beneficiaries.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

36 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

To be fair, whenever anyone's caught for electoral fraud, it's nearly always Labour who are the beneficiaries.

It barely happens. It's as rare as rocking horse **** and is always caught. That's the point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Never been against ID cards. Would solve so much.

you will need one if you have no other photo id, bus passes drivers license and passports are also sufficient, but please let those who have not got any of those know that they will be disenfranchised on the day without it. US measures seem to be contagious here.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Never been against ID cards. Would solve so much.

They'd have to be forgery proof, otherwise worse than useless.

4 hours ago, Herman said:

Evil corrupt vote rigging Europe..😉

id.jpg

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, benchwarmer said:

They'd have to be forgery proof, otherwise worse than useless.

Is that not possible? Criminals will always find a way, particularly digitally, so you can't not do something for that reason. There would still be less fraud than there is right now.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Evil corrupt vote rigging Europe..😉

id.jpg

4 hours ago, Herman said:

It barely happens. It's as rare as rocking horse **** and is always caught. That's the point.

If EU countries do it, it can't be wrong! 😁

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

If EU countries do it, it can't be wrong! 😁

"The Tories only want photo ID as they are corrupt and racist!"

Then the classic silence when you simply point out that the vast majority of countries in Europe and even the EU themselves requires photo ID.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Will you pair of divs actually pay attention. It's not that it is a bad thing in and of itself but it being badly done. It is not even and is  favouring an elderly and wealthier part of the population.

Even if you don't have a passport or a driving license, a proof of age card from the post office is £15. Not that much of a barrier really is it?

Yes. It's a barrier. If you want to bring in id then make it compulsory/free not the snide way the tories are doing it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yes. It's a barrier. If you want to bring in id then make it compulsory/free not the snide way the tories are doing it. 

Quite agree.

If an OAP bus pass is valid then so should be a young person's railcard or student union card etc. Similar photo ID.

Unless of course you're trying to gerrymander the vote.......

It's actually morally created a much more serious threat to democracy than the issue (negligent) it tried to solve.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Herman said:

Will you pair of divs actually pay attention. It's not that it is a bad thing in and of itself but it being badly done. It is not even and is  favouring an elderly and wealthier part of the population.

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/campaigns/voter-id/

There have been several conversations in the past regarding introducing compulsory ID, with much public hostility, with many older people considering compulsory ID as something only foreigners do.

Yet again, opposition has gone for framing this as young v old, when all they need to do is frame this as something that makes ID compulsory to have a good chance of putting more older voters against the idea.

13 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

If an OAP bus pass is valid then so should be a young person's railcard or student union card etc. Similar photo ID.

I've had an OAP bus pass since 2012.  It's been renewed twice, using the same photo which now, sadly, doesn't look much like me at all.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, dj11 said:

Apparently there were 6 at the last election. 

Looking at the data it appears what we would assume was cheating by the person voting was very low and insignificant. I was a poll clerk for several year sand never had a problem at all. The funniest was hearing the chatter going on behind the screens. "Who do I vote for dear?" "I bleddy told you afor we came in, that Tory bloke". "Wussa Tory dear"  "Bleddy ell, that Eustice chap".

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Looking at the data it appears what we would assume was cheating by the person voting was very low and insignificant. I was a poll clerk for several year sand never had a problem at all. The funniest was hearing the chatter going on behind the screens. "Who do I vote for dear?" "I bleddy told you afor we came in, that Tory bloke". "Wussa Tory dear"  "Bleddy ell, that Eustice chap".

Did you mean "Wussa Tory dear"  "Bleddy ell, that Useless chap".

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

2019 electoral fraud data | Electoral Commission

Seems like there are more dodgy (Tory) MPs than voter fraud! 

I've nothing against some simple form of ID but it needs to be simple and already to hand for everybody. 

The problem with undetected crime is you don't actually know how much is going on; our system has been lax compared to the rest of Europe, so it's quite possible there are far more cases than those where people are actually caught.

When Labour first introduced postal voting, there were industrial scale voter fraud operations found; the motivation for fraudulent voting is there.

What the government is doing simply brings us into line with the rest of Europe regarding checks, and all councils have the systems in place to provide free photo ID for voting on application with name, NI number, and a digital photofor the 3-4 million people out of over 60 million in the UK population who have no photo ID .

It seems to me that all of the grounds for objection to the change don't really hold up to scrutiny.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie