Sign in to follow this  
Google Bot

Goals from Midfield (Dowell)

Under Wagner we seem to be finding ways to score from more positions and Dowell certainly been coming up with the goods.

On the way home was chatting with my mate and I asked if he thought Dowell could get near the 15 Buendia hit in his final Championship season, i.e. if we had Wagner and was playing like this from start of season. 

He's scored 4 in 5 since Wagner came in, and has a habit of nicking goals like we saw last night, Also seen he scored 9 in 38 for Forest back in 17/18.

Purple patch maybe.  But, double figures from a midfielder is something we've been missing.  It's making me believe that he's the real deal, but more importantly able to be in the right place at the right time.

What do people think, could you see him netting 15 in a season?

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Dowell has been massively underrated by Norwich fans. He is a class player with great vision. He was an unfortunate victim of the 4-3-3 because he's simply not a winger.

I've been surprised by how well he has adapted to the (narrower) wide role in the 4-2-3-1 because his lack of pace is a potential issue. However, Wagner's midfield structure does offer a degree of mitigation.

He has the ability to unlock teams which is desperately needed so I think we can afford a little defensive vulnerability in exchange for some attacking threat. Unfortunately I doubt we can afford to keep him next season in the championship. 

• Like 1

Needs to work on his finishing a bit but the more bodies we pack into the box when we attack the more chance we have of the ball dropping to someone in a yellow shirt with a decent chance to score. No coincidence that since Wagner arrived we have more players busting a gut to get into the box and as a result we're scoring more, unlike Pukki just being on his own surrounded by 6 opposition players.

I said at the start of the season I thought Dowell could easily get at least 20 g/a at this level if he started most weeks. Dean Smith then said Dowell would be really important to us before giving him a handful of minutes, sometimes at centre mid.

Glad to see in a more competent attacking lineup he's showing what he can do

Without his goals he’s been disappointing in my book, he doesn’t create much, drifts out of games and his game isn’t about dropping back to help Aaron’s.

No doubt Dowell has the capacity to be a very good player for us, he does need to up his all round game. He’s lucky we lack the quality to challenge his position. Only Tzolis, not sure if Rowe can play wide right on his return?

Showing what he can do?

He had a couple of other glorious chances last night and was pitifully poor in trying to convert them.

If you watch the goal again from last night it is quite obvious that without the deflection he would not have scored as it was going straight at Ingram.

He is benefitting from the attacking mentality that we now have and is seeing chances come his way because of the position he is now playing. It's too late for changes this season but I would be surprised to see a long time future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Under Wagner we seem to be finding ways to score from more positions and Dowell certainly been coming up with the goods.

On the way home was chatting with my mate and I asked if he thought Dowell could get near the 15 Buendia hit in his final Championship season, i.e. if we had Wagner and was playing like this from start of season. 

He's scored 4 in 5 since Wagner came in, and has a habit of nicking goals like we saw last night, Also seen he scored 9 in 38 for Forest back in 17/18.

Purple patch maybe.  But, double figures from a midfielder is something we've been missing.  It's making me believe that he's the real deal, but more importantly able to be in the right place at the right time.

What do people think, could you see him netting 15 in a season?

He is probably one of our best finishers in fairness. Other than the one he spunked wide last night.

39 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

If you watch the goal again from last night it is quite obvious that without the deflection he would not have scored as it was going straight at Ingram.

He is one of those players who grabs goals like that though, Emi had plenty where he'd just fire it into a packed area and it would bounce and go in. 

I think something he is good at is creating a little bit of space and then directing at goal, you've not always got to be finding corner, or scoring worldies, esp if there's players in the box.

Many of our other players seem to scuff, under hit or seem unable to find that bit of space in the final third that he does.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 1

Dowell is a work in progress. He has some ability as we've all seen, but that attempt he had that went well wide was pretty poor. Its one of the harder things to do to open your body out and try the kind of finish he did. Still it would have looked great if it had gone in........ 

Lots to improve, sharpen up his defensive work too. A way to go before he is the finished article. 

Technically Dowell is very good, but physically (speed / strength / work rate), he is pretty poor. I see him as a better version of Cantwell, as his technique is far superior to Cantwell and physically, similar (but less work rate).

If Dowell had pace, he would be very good.

12 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Always been interesting that in the early Smith days Smith said he bealived Dowell had the potential to be our 'star man' or something like that.

Always Interesting to remember.

Did you start a thread about it? 

• Haha 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who cares if I did or didn't? I mean you do, given you won't shut up about me making threads even though it got old years ago.

Seriously? 

Get over yourself, and get a sense of humour. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Seriously? 

Get over yourself, and get a sense of humour. 

Having a sense of humour has nothing to do with repeating the exact same joke over and over and over time and time again even though it blatantly got old and stale well over a year ago

3 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Having a sense of humour has nothing to do with repeating the exact same joke over and over and over time and time again even though it blatantly got old and stale well over a year ago

Try sticking to facts. 

I know you struggle with that.

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yes indeed, but did you start a thread? 😂😂

PS as the emojis aren’t coming up! Was joking…..

Edited by Indy
  • Haha 2

Reminds me of Vrancic. Technically decent. Not very pacey. Doesn't defend particularly well. Bit of a luxury. 

He's been good in the right games. I don't think he's the man if you're up against a team you need to chase and who have a lot of the ball but against an average team he's got (sometimes) that key to unlocking a defence and has goal in him. Also that goal he put in top left bin against PNE or Cov, he nicked that extra bit of space by his body movements. Was a decent goal that. 

51 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who knows cant remember much from before new year 😂

But you remember me posting about you starting threads...... 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

over and over and over time and time again even though it blatantly got old and stale well over a year ago

As I've said.... 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Try sticking to facts. 

I know you struggle with that.

Ohh and get out clause emoji 😉 

16 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Can we please stop with the willy-waving and get back on topic?

Yep, as long a CC remains factually correct in his posts about my posting. 

😉 

6 hours ago, Petriix said:

Dowell has been massively underrated by Norwich fans. He is a class player with great vision. He was an unfortunate victim of the 4-3-3 because he's simply not a winger.

My feelings exactly and I am enjoying his performances now he is being given the licence to play in a prefered position. 

More to come I feel